The golf grip - novice to novice

chipa

I believe that correct golf grip and how it keeps the hands together is probably the number one issue for novice golfers. It is something I have been trying to understand as an adult golfer for at least 25 years and recently after reading an article by Jack Nicklaus where he stated the biggest problem among poor golfers is they regrip the club during the swing I realize it is also a big issue for the majority of other novice golfers like me.

I also feel that this is not an issue for better golfers based on previous discussion I have had and my personal experience with my nephew who has been playing golf off and on with me since he was a boy. He is a scratch golfer, 32, and has one local club tournament(s) and he flies it 300 yards on ave. with the driver. However, when we talk golf he doesn't like to get into specifics after all to him it is simple and natural. I understand his point of view and believe this is one of the reasons better players just don't "get" the problems we novice golfers have, even some very good teaching pros.

What the better players don't "get" imo is that without a correct grip the hands and arms are never connected, so for most of us a flying right elbow with parts of the hands coming off the club is just a natural move for us. They also don't understand that our awkward swings are mostly the consequence of a poor grip.

Another point of contention I have is with teaching pros who constantly tell novice golfers not to "flip" their hands through impact, when these guy clearly have never made a swing with their hands and arms disconnected like we novices do most of the time and thus can't comprehend a swing with the correct grip feels like the hands/forearms are "flipping" through impact.

These observations are also based on my own experimentation as well. Generally, my normal disconnected swing gets me 95 mph w/the driver, and I have to swing to the point I am off balance. However, when I have the grip done correctly my arms feel mechanically connected, albeit still soft, and I can easily generate 20 mph more with the drive with a more relaxed swing and I hit the ball much straighter with little effort. I have found that while both hands are involved in the backswing the right hand needs to hold the club in a way that doesn't prevent the left hand from getting into a good position. On the contrary I believe most novices like myself struggle with an incorrect right hand grip that is too much in the palm which forces the left hand to regrip the club during the swing.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

Haha, it's true though. My fastest swing speeds were in the high 120's when I was younger. I believe a correct right hand grip generates a lot of easy power. A lot of teachers say that as well, like Clements and Malaska. Most amateurs(like myself at times) have the right thumb on top or behind the shaft and have the grip in the palm as well, which causes the right elbow to get in a bad position in addition to the right hand easily coming off the club.

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

But you didn't say anything about when you were younger.

You said you "can easily generate 20 mph more with the drive with a more relaxed swing". That's from 95 to 115. I'd say that was,,,,,,,,, unusual.

Personally I think at 95 you are NOT swinging at (roughly) 80% of your max. I don't think ANYBODY swings at much less than 95% of their max - they may think they do but they probably don't.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I think many novices understand how the grip is supposed to look but in reality its not working as it should.

Notes:

I have a golf radar and measure my swing and I no longer try to swing my max because my back hurts later. I'm 55 and have had back surgery.

Notes:

Sorry to hear about your back. I have a herniated disc back there but thankfully am in NO pain no matter how hard I swing. That said, my fastest nowadays would be around 95. LOL

I was referring to the average golfer and how much speed he can add by "really stepping on it". Answer - not as much as most would think.

But you DID say "These observations are also based on my own experimentation as well. Generally, my normal disconnected swing gets me 95 mph w/the driver, and I have to swing to the point I am off balance. However, when I have the grip done correctly my arms feel mechanically connected, albeit still soft, and I can easily generate 20 mph more with the drive with a more relaxed swing and I hit the ball much straighter with little effort"

i.e. present tense - you seem to be blaming the lower swing speed on your grip and your "connection", not a bad back. Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding ?

Titleist Pro V1X

Yes you are right, when I'm regripping the club I lose a lot of velocity. Also, if it weren't for my back I could no doubt swing in the 120's. My highest velocity was 128 at a golf shop, but I feel like it was more out on the course at times based on my driver distances.

I think many amateur golfers could pick up 10-20 mph if they didn't regrip the club sometime during the swing in addition to having good mechanics.

Notes:

Yeah I don't know that any amateur is swinging 120mph when many pros aren't, I don't care what kind of backstory explanation there is about hockey or baseball etc.

But the grip is huge for us amateurs. When I have a consistent grip I play well. When I'm regripping and disconnected, I lose the ball right and weak.

"But the grip is huge for us amateurs. When I have a consistent grip I play well. When I'm regripping and disconnected, I lose the ball right and weak"

But the question here is, when you DON'T re-grip, do you swing the driver 10-20 mph faster ?

Titleist Pro V1X

Yes, when I get everything connected well I swing a lot faster according to the monitor I have. For me do do this in addition to being relaxed I need to use the correct grip and takeaway sequence while my legs are loading, they have to work together and when they do I get good velocity.

Also, due to my back condition I train with weights 3 times a week, not too heavy but sufficient leg and back work, power cleans (and olympic deadlifts) front weighted lunges and of course upper body exercises. I keep my weight down too for may back, I weigh 154 at 5'6". I suppose I have more athletic ability than average but that doesn't mean that most golfers with a poor grip and technique couldn't benefit from ensuring the hands don't regrip the club.

Regarding keeping everything connected, I have been watching a lot of videos about Bobby Jones and try to imitate the way he holds the club before addressing the ball in such a relaxed manner with the arms bent at the elbows, and also his left side dominant takeaway as well as pulling through on the downswing and hitting late with the right hand.

Notes:

Thanks but you already answered my question.

My previous post was directed at Justsomeguy, who also re-grips and gets disconnected.

Titleist Pro V1X

I see that now, sorry buddy.

Notes:

Easy oversight. No worries.

Titleist Pro V1X

In my case my grip can also come apart not only because the wrong muscles in the hands and forearms are used but also due to problems with my stance and back that hinder me from turning my shoulders.

Perhaps the best thing that I have found that works is Ben Hogan's advice to press the base of the right thumb pad on the left thumb and hold it there w/o tensing the hands too much of course.

Notes:

That's interesting, I know he said his right hand didn't do a lot until right before impact. Do you have a video?

BTW, Ben Hogan and John Daly also have left hand dominant takeaways and I actually think I have seen videos of both of them with the right hand barely on at impact. So maybe the problem is regripping somewhere during the backswing or at the initial part of the downswing.

I find that a left hand dominant takeaway works best for me too and I get plenty of distance for my age(I had 2 wind aided tee shots this am with a 4 wood of 280 and 260 yards). In fact I'm wondering if maybe the reason I regrip on the takeaway at times is because my right hand is too active and starts to pull the club inside which doesn't allow my left arm and shoulder to get into a good position with the hands still connected.

Notes:

Do you have a reference? Maybe there is a way of doing it w/o losing power and accuracy.

Notes:

If it's true that Bobby Jones regripped the club and taking into account that with the fact that I played very well today imitating John Daly's "right hand barely on" practice swing maybe I should rename this thread - "How to regrip the club like a pro instead of like a novice"

Notes:

I have the Bobby Jones video collection and there is a time when he talks about "loosening his left hand at the top to get the club in the right position" IF I can find it online, I will post it. I wouldn't really call it regripping though because his hand didn't change position, only loosened and the tightened back up.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

• 2 weeks later...

I have come to the conclusion that the main causes of my grip coming apart are using the incorrect muscles in the hand as well as having my hands too far away from the body which gets the club too far away from me and my hands have to adjust. From what I can tell watching other novices this is a very common problem in addition to not having a correct grip.

Notes:

On 8/1/2020 at 6:21 PM, Justsomeguy said:

Yeah I don't know that any amateur is swinging 120mph when many pros aren't, I don't care what kind of backstory explanation there is about hockey or baseball etc.

But the grip is huge for us amateurs. When I have a consistent grip I play well. When I'm regripping and disconnected, I lose the ball right and weak.

I've been following the long drive competitions for more than 20 years and there are guys competing that I doubt even have a single digit h.c. One guy won with only a few months experience playing golf, he was a javelin thrower in college I believe. I expect all these guys swing in the 130 range.

Notes:

3 hours ago, chipa said:

I've been following the long drive competitions for more than 20 years and there are guys competing that I doubt even have a single digit h.c. One guy won with only a few months experience playing golf, he was a javelin thrower in college I believe. I expect all these guys swing in the 130 range.

Absolute exceptions.

16 minutes ago, Justsomeguy said:

Absolute exceptions.

20 mph are the typical numbers I get. It's also posible that most amateurs never have a correct grip nor sequence that enables them to hit efficiently, after all one doesn't have to be especially strong or athletically gifted to hit the ball a far way - watching professional women play in person is something that will confirm this for most I believe. BTW, I expect most pros could swing in the 120's if they practiced and swung out of their shoes like Bryson.

Notes: