Personal coolers brought onto the course

Never fails, if I post something on GolfWRX it immediately hits me in the face the next time I play. Last time it was a post about a leaf deflecting a putt that goes in on the rules forum. Now this, last weekend finally ran into the cooler police on the first tee. Made a big deal that coolers weren't allowed, unless they had water only. Which of course we all testified was the case for us. He didn't insist on an inspection, fortunately. And it didn't cost them any sales since the cart girl was really cute so we all ended up buying from her anyway.

• Like 1

I usually walk so I carry two 40 oz hydro flasks in my bag and refill them at the turn. Since it has been extremely hot as of late I have switched to riding. Both of my cart bags have cooler pockets built into them. I carry two 24 oz Hydro Flasks in the cooler pocket and at least one 40 oz in a side pocket. I've carried this way for years and never had a problem.

Sometimes I'll feel like a couple of beers and the courses I play are still giving you a bag of ice with your beers. I'll throw the beers and ice in my cooler pockets and it works out well.

My friend likes to bring a cooler with Gatorade in it and some courses he runs into the cooler problem.

I don't understand some of the course policies out there. One course you can't bring your own cooler with you but they will give you their cooler to use on the course for your own non alcohol drinks that you have brought.. Another course you can't have any coolers but they will give you a bag of ice and allow you to bring your own non alcohol drinks. Some courses won't allow you to bring anything.

Don't know about the coronas issues with the coolers. I haven't been there since this noise started.

They do alcohol there so they have to provide it. I get that part but that leaves them no wiggle room in unforeseen circumstances. You can bring off-site drinks (gatorades and cokes) but can't use your own cooler (pre-coronas). They are strict about the no personal cooler thing though. I typically only run into the beverage cart out when there are events at a course. That is probably as much as an HR issue type thing as a financial one.

I use a slim cooler, like the ones pictured, in the apparel pocket. 4 beers, 1 water, with a cold pack. I have another water in the bag cooler slot.

If I purchased that from the cart girl, it would be almost as much as my greens fee.

I realize it takes revenue away from the course. After the 2nd beer, I feel less guilty about not spending $6 plus tip for a can of Coors Light.

• Like 1

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Taylormade 11' Rescue 21º and 23.5º (Aldila RIP TP S)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Odyssey WH Pro 7, Cleveland HB Soft 11.

Royal M Taper 360's

I’ve been playing a different course every time I’ve gone out lately. I never know what I’m going to find so I’m prepared for anything. I bring a small 6 pack cooler with blue ice, 4 water bottle of cold water and two more frozen ones in the car. If the course doesn’t allow coolers, I put the 2 frozen bottles and two cold waters in the cooler pocket of my bag. If the cart has a cooler already on it, I transfer the stuff from mine into theirs. Otherwise I throw the cooler into the cart.

Coming from someone who works at a public course. Thank you, youdid everything that we could ask of. It appers there was a lack of communication from the Golf Ops staff to the beverage cart driver. Or you just ran into an angry bev cart person who thought you were costing her sales, whcih isn't the case entirely.

During these times where we have removed water collers from the ccourse due to Covid, we--the golf courses--need to be better at bending the polieices a bit and provding even more beverage cart service. We have 36 holes and it's impossible for one cart to service all 36 adaqueetly. We hear ccompalints from the drivers that the "old farts" aren't buying anything. But the course has increased their hourl rate and added a gratauity from the course based on hours worked, just to keep them outt there and making the rounds.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Curious do you make a Costco beer stop in your way to dinner at your favorite restaurant as well?‍♂️

Vokey

I think the most accurate part of his post is the "no brainier" part ?

Vokey

I heard this comment forever. I been playing since 1988. No I am not a beer drinker 98% of the time. When I do buy a beer I buy it from the course. I've played with certain beer drinkers over the course of my years playing that have brought there own beers. I have never seen the county alcohol commissioner checking out anyone at any course I have every played. I have never received a receipt for beers purchased at a course so if I ever did run into a commissioner checking for beers I wouldn't be able to prove that I bought it at the course. I'm courious to know what kind of enforcement actually goes on at any course. Just saying..

It only takes once! County inspectors are not walking around like Fire Marshall Bill. They often come unannounced and just observe. They wont. Blatantly try to entrap a course but they will take notice.

And FWIW, we give receipts on every purchase. and we don't sell by the case or provide yeti coolers, so there is that clue ?

Vokey

Laws are different of course but there are laws in states/cities/whatever whereby the seller can get into big trouble if he/she serves an obviously intoxicated person. So, they have some control when they are selling alcohol to golfers.
Personally I haven't seen ANY course that allows personal coolers in pre-CV-19 world. That said I don't get around much. LOL
"After the 2nd beer, I feel less guilty about not spending $6 plus tip for a can of Coors Light."
Forgetting for the moment that some beverage operators on a golf course are self-employed and paying the course for the privilege of providing the refreshments, you also apparently feel less guilty about driving home impaired.
So less guilty about taking away income from the operator of the beverage concession. OR the golf course. So if they can't make enough money from concessions they raise the greens fees,,,,,,,,,, for everyone,,,,,,,,,,,,, and then you'd complain about that,,,,,,,,,,,,
Not to mention, as @Socrates mentioned much earlier in the thread, that you may bring the golf course into court to defend itself if YOU hurt someone after drinking on the golf course.
Of course that hardly makes you unique because it's never happened to you before,,,,,,,, so it'll never happen to you going forward,,,,,,,,,, I mean that's the "logic", no ?

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

LOL..NO I don't and working for a company that manages over 150 courses across the country, I think I've seen more than most have.

Vokey

I'll disagree with most everyone here. I'll buy my drinks at the pro shop or from the cart girl. I won't bring drinks in. I'll pay their price, it won't break me. I'll support the course and the staff.

We all hear about integrity in golf ad nauseum on WRX, yet most people here have no problem violating the rules the course sets so the course is protected from liability and can turn a profit. What happened to the old what you do on the golf course is a reflection of your life? Which btw I think is a stupid statement.

• Like 1

thank you! I wish there was a super like button on here ?

Vokey

I’ve never heard of someone being turned away at a golf course but I suppose it could happen. Even on my recent golf trip the guys at the bag drop were more than helpful loading our coolers for us. I also don’t think anyone is driving home impaired if they’re driving home after drinking 4-5 beers over a 4-5 hour round of golf. Maybe the courses that feel it’s a liability should just stop serving altogether.

• Like 1

By turned away I assume you mean refused service. Yeah, I've never heard of it either. Then again, a lot of "cart girls" are pretty young, don't get paid much (except for tips LOL) and probably wouldn't refuse service except in very unusual circumstances. But if there's a legal issue for the golf course I expect the cart person would be aware of it.

As for 4-5 beers over 5 hours, it's true that one's blood alcohol level might be just fine by the time they left, but that doesn't mean they're not impaired.

And you'll note I mentioned "pre Covid". Don't know about your recent golf trip, but around here, where we have 1 person to a cart and virtually no refreshments on the course, nobody cares what you bring onto the course. Pre-covid they certainly wouldn't have allowed it.

We had a couple of guys at my club. One of them was what I believe is called a "functional" alcoholic. Drank before the round (7 AM on a Sunday morning), during and afterward. Hw was a really good player but one never knew whether to pick him for their team because they had no idea what would happen. Amazing he could stand up for the whole round but he did and often played very well. He'd drink after the round as well and half the time someone would give him a ride home. The other half of the time he'd drive home. Good thing he didn't live all that far away.

They the other guy. Big guy, 6'3", maybe 240. He didn't drink at all during the round. After the round he'd have 1 beer and be "sloppy drunk". You just never know.

I guess ya rolls the dice and ya takes yer chances. Wouldn't mind so much myself if the drunk only hurt himself - it's the people HE hurts that get the short end of the stick.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Yea it’s 110 degree heat indexes every day here in south Louisiana so when they removed the water coolers at my club I saw that as my invitation to bring a cooler anytime I play. I’ve never been told anything and will continue to do so until either the coolers are there consistently or I get told something.

I find most clubs won’t really say anything as long as it’s a small cooler.

During the pandemic, we don't mind coolers as long as there is no outside liquor in it. We are still strict about that.

We won't turn people away. We just tell them to take it--any outside beer/alcohol back to to the car. If a cart "girl" sees it on course she'll ask them one time to put it away. A second time and she will ask for the cooler. If the golfer refuses. She'll call it into the GM. But it rarely gets to that point. Most cooperate at the first request.

Vokey