2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Summer golf trips vs Covid 19

Had a trip to East Lothian planned for late August that we ended up postponing to next year. The deciding factor was Muirfield telling us that they might not allow guests to play even if the quarantine is lifted. So while we were bummed about having to postpone, all of the courses and our Air Bnb hosts were incredibly easy to work with to get everything pushed back a year and I applaud them for that. Not ideal but there are people making way more important sacrifices during this crisis than me and my friends are. Will be nice to have next year's trip fully paid for more than a year in advance.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 10.5 - Fuji Pro 63x Tour Spec
Callaway Rogue 15 - Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.5
Taylormade TP UDI 3 iron - X100 AMT Tour Issue
Mizuno 919T 4-9- X100 AMT Tour White
Mizuno T7 46 - X100 AMT Tour White
Mizuno T7 50, 56, & 60 - S400 Tour Issue
Taylormade TP Ardmore 3

Hope you can. I think another trip for us was not very realistic for next year, but we may have done it but for the continuing situation - so at least thinking of 2022 seems like something real I can sink my teeth into until life calls my bluff in about another 18 months or so, lol. I'm really thinking of a London/Scotland three week expedition (not a golf every day kind of thing) that potentially could include a visit to The Open - a guy can dream.

Meantime, August trip to Cali hanging by a thread. Have jettisoned air travel and will, if we go, make the 2.5 days drive each way and avoid three flights and five airport experiences --- I enjoy decompressing while crossing the country so driving will be great for me. What was that ad when I was growing up? "See the USA in a ............................. wife's Subaru" - not that catchy, but economical! First week there is pretty much pure isolation, sounds good right now - after that we are debating adjustments that keep us there but out of highly populated areas or just making the second week a drive back across a different part of America kind of thing. So unpredictable and may have to bag it for good in another couple of weeks. Hope not.

Edit: California is off for 2020, no way we can count on anything being open in a few weeks and sounds like airlines are packing 'em in like sardines.

Absolutely. They already take the p 1 s s charging the same as the Big 5, so they probably figure why not try that as well.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

As a Scotsman I am embarrassed by the stance that Carnoustie has taken. Very sad that you have had to enlist the help of your credit card company to get a refund based on a global pandemic when that should have been an automatic no questions asked decision to refund. Greed and lack of customer care on behalf of Carnoustie.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

• 3 weeks later...

Carnoustie offered us tee times in the future which are now booked. The club was off putting in their behaviour, but delivered.

Strangely, the only Scottish club not to refund or offer future times is Cullen. Extremely poor customer relations.

A shout out to Moray. The club CALLED me and insisted on a refund. So only North Berwick and Moray offered refunds.

To our friends in England, Scotland, Ireland, and the rest of the home of golf:

Anyone have any idea when trips from America might be possible? Are we looking at 2021 or later? I'm getting old and want to play there, nut do not want to embarrass myself because my game deteriorated. Thanks for the help and advice.

Indeed. I much preferred it when having to put up with those stereotype-provers meant listening to someone complain 'you call that a large, that ain't no large' and other minor annoyances.
Who knows where we'll be in the short to medium term @jkumpire Plan/make bookings for 2022 and hope for the best. You're already behind all the 2020 rebookers and kean 2021ers. And surely an additional 12 months won't see that much further of a decline in your game :-)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

August trip to Bandon postponed. One of ours decided against. Rescheduled for 2021.

Edited by Cwing

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I'm thinking that even trips within the United States are going to be a problem or Amercans, not just going to Europe. The infection rates have increased dramatically and with no firm policy in place it may only get worse before it gets better. And that likely means that other countries won't allow Americans to enter in the near future. Until we get a vaccine I'm not sure it's advisable to travel anywhere right now on in the near future either. This is very depressing.

Alright, I’m in for mid May. Let the planning begin. Whereas I was Going to be spending the first half Of my trip in East Lothian, I’ll probably have to flip that now, since my TOC time is on a Tuesday. Will probably arrive Saturday, stay in SA until Friday (unless I get a wait list time at Muirfield for Thursday) and then head to North Berwick for Friday-Monday. Can’t play NB on Saturday so will probably aim to play it Friday and Monday, with Glen and Gullane on the weekend. Fly home Tuesday morning.

• 6 months later...
On 5/1/2020 at 11:56 AM, baddomes said:

I had a tee time on April 12th at Carnoustie (they were closed) and they have held firm about not refunding me. Received a temporary credit with Chase yesterday for the greens fees. I guess Carnoustie can respond to Chase in the next few weeks to justify the charge, but at least Chase is now fighting with them and not me.

I booked my trip without the help of a tour company. Gullane, North Berwick, and St. Andrews all refunded in full. Carnoustie's stance is "not market", as they say.

Once I hear more, I'll update in this thread.

In the process of cancelling my Carnoustie booking for April that was rescheduled from last year. I purchased the tee time in January of 2020. Carnoustie is offering 50% or rescheduling. I have no plans of going in the near future so I would prefer a full refund. Do you think I have any recourse with Chase at this point? Did you file your claim online?

4 hours ago, srs06d said:

In the process of cancelling my Carnoustie booking for April that was rescheduled from last year. I purchased the tee time in January of 2020. Carnoustie is offering 50% or rescheduling. I have no plans of going in the near future so I would prefer a full refund. Do you think I have any recourse with Chase at this point? Did you file your claim online?

Just refuse payment. The card company will take care of you. Ridiculous that Carnousite would pull that crap! 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

4 hours ago, srs06d said:

I can't remember actually. I think I may have tried to file online and then needed to call chase to finalize the claim. Totally forgot about this. Seems like 10 years ago. 

Haven't been keeping up with the current situation, but one key thing to note for my example is that carnoustie was closed on the day of my tee time. That may have played a role in getting a full refund. 

6 hours ago, srs06d said:

It's still very possible they won't even be allowed to have you since you're not local. Last I heard from my B&B owner was that the next wave of restrictions wouldn't lift until May. If that's the case then you're on much better footing for a full refund. 

For what it's worth, Carnoustie remains the one place I've dealt with that's been so steadfast.