Anybody go from G410 LST to Mavrik?

Tree Levino

Tested today. Was VERY impressed with Mavrik with Rogue 70x. Ball speed was up, consistently getting an extra 10 yards out of it, really good dispersion, loved sound/feel/look. Never gamed a Cally but interested in giving it a shot. Tried Sim as well and was hated it. 410 LST is the best driver I've had for a combo of length and forgiveness.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing is gonna be more forgiving than the G410.

Mavrik definitely longer but I'm not as straight and it's not great on toe strikes

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

have no experience with the ping but hear they are great. Taylormade sim is just ok. Not great imo. Better then past i guess. I do have a regular mavrik though and i will say its just as good if not better then the past few cally drivers. I have rogue which was great and bb fusion 17 great. Ive hit some real bombs... at least for myself lol... 260 270 280... average around 240 probably. Straightness is on par with anything else ive hit. All depends on what kinda swing you put on it that particular drive.

Yes this years Callaway is the only thing I’ve been tempted by. Only thing was the flight with Mav was quite high. Probably a better candidate for Sub. Pings are silly forgiving but the Mavrik honestly was even more forgiving than the LST for my swing.

Sounds like the low spin head would be a better choice. I might have to try one of these, ha.. One thing that I find hard to shake when trying non-PING drivers is the crown. I've grown so used to the way the PING sets up at address. I'm so used to the matte black finish on the PING. All of the gloss finish and carbon crowns really throw me off at address. I know some think the turbulators are dumb but I actually like the way it sets up to the ball.

I made the switch from the g410 lst to the Mavrik sz. I really loved the ping, it was so consistent and miss hits wouldn’t move offline the problem I had with the ping was that it would spin more and come up short for me. The Mavrik sz I thought was just as forgiving but didn’t spin up as much as the ping on miss hits. The Mavrik also gave me a couple more mph of ball speed so I made the switch and haven’t looked back.

When I got fit for my current driver it came down to the G410 LST and the Maverick, came down to smash factor and distance. Ping was a little bit better than the Maverick in every category and with it being cheaper it was a no brainer for me

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond S  8.5* (Tensei 1k Pro Blue)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 3W (Tensei 1k Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 5W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 7W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Irons: PXG 0317T Xtreme Dark 5-PW (Dynamic Gold120 X100)

Wedge: Titleist SM9 48*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 54*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice

I went from LST to Mavrik SZ this summer. Ball speed was faster, and I preferred the feel and sound of the mav as well. I also don't find any fade bias in the Mavrik at all.

The LST is obviously a great driver, but I just love the top line on the Callaway drivers. They're so straight compared to the classic pear shaped Ping heads. That easy alignment makes me swing with less manipulation.

Yes, I'd have to go to 9 deg on a Mavrik - I launch high - my G400 Max is 9 deg and I launch at 16. Tried the Max at 10.5 - high. BUT felt great, just feels as though you can swing through the ball easily.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

^^^ This. however, I went the other way (Mavrik SZ to Ping G410 LST). Started with Rogue two years ago, skipped Epic Flash and went with Mavrik this year. However, the Mavrik although long, I just couldn't hit enough fairways with it. That said, I went to a Ping demo day earlier this year and really liked the results (note - never owned a Ping club in my life other than a putter) . I tried a few things with the Mavrik to see if I could make it work but in the end with the price drops of the G410 line and the great discount provided by Discount Dan's ($319 including shipping) I decided I would give the G410 LST a go. I purchased with Tour 65 shaft and I couldn't be happier. The LST is just so easy to hit and much straighter for me. I am hitting way more fairways with the Ping than I did with the Mavrik so, for me and my swing it's the G410 LST all-day every day and twice on Sundays. As a side note, I wasn't a fan of the G410 Fairways or Hybrids though. I went with the TS3 for Fairway Wood (16.5* - absolutely love this line) and 818 H1 (21*) for hybrid and couldn't be happier. Best of luck!

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

For this reason I’m kind of wanting to stay away from the SZ line unless the fitter thinks it’s the best way to go. The standard Mavrik was in a good spin and launch window, only thing was the flight was pretty high. Tried it set down to 8 and that was good too. Lots of potential there! We will see - my LST was a great fit as well and the numbers were all very tight. The Sim was AWFUL. All over the map no consistency.

Yep, go with what gives you the best numbers. Mav is a good club but just not for me. Hopefully, if you decide to go the Mav route you see the same numbers once out on the course.

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

I find the MAV SZ to be wonderful on toe hits. One of the deciding factors when picking between the MAV standard and MAV SZ. My most common miss is off the toe and the SZ really shines in that regard IMO. Other than that, I could fit into either, just would need a low launch/low spin shaft for a standard MAV, as it does spin a fair bit more for me.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X

Ping Blueprint S, 4-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

Yes I saw that. Thing is, He generally is a low spin fellow and can get on with 10.5 fine. I'm more of a 8-9* guy. His miss is also a hook while mine is a spinny block. He tends to toe, my miss is heel etc etc. I feel like fit properly, either is a great driver. They might end up slapping a different shaft in my LST and it becomes perfect. My baseline is quite good with it. Living around 160 BS, 2200 spin, 14* launch etc. I just hit the Mav a bit straighter and liked it. Not much in it and I know that. Just going to fit to confirm as I'm down to a 2.8 now but still haven't shot or broken par. Usually around 73-75.

Make a few more putts or get up and down more. Then you will be breaking par

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

100%. 27 putts last round. Greens were down to 56% but definitely as a result of a few tee shots that weren't the best. Driver is normally a great club for me. Didn't get fit for this LST just did it through knowledge of previous fittings. In hitting on sim I got it right and it's close, but as I said I was getting 10-15 extra yards out of the Cally and felt like I could swing more freely. I was also getting a consistent baby draw instead of a push fade which I prefer.

I Hit the Mavrik with a Evenflow Riptide, not sure, if it was a stock option in an x flex. I also hit the SIM with a Hzrdus green smoke? Not really sure, I just looked down at what the guy had given me briefly. I also hit it against my G410 lst with an Aldila cooper 60 tx shaft Tipped 1 inch with an 18 gram weight in the head.

The biggest problem was it was at Dicks and they didn’t have a tee nearly as high as I would have played with, and some beat up Maxfli balls ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With that being said, I can NOT turn the SIM over..... I left everything out to the right, so I adjusted to play a fade (slap cut) which is not my natural shot shape. It performed well and would be playable that way, but I generate more spin than I’d like and it doesn’t fit my eye aiming left for some reason, probably because I played a big sweeping draw for about 20 years ?

The Maverik was very neutral and I was playing it with a slight draw maybe 6-8 yards. It was very consistent and I liked it better than I did last time I hit it. I had the highest ball speeds by 1 mph and lowest spin by 100 rpms and highest launch.

My G410 I was hitting the worst of the bunch at the start...... but that was because it was first to be hit and the tee was so low. I went back to it after the got a rhythm going and lifted up to 8.5 (I play mine at 7.5 normally) and it performed about the same as the Maverik., with less (if any) draw. I hit the ball super straight after some swing changes, so if the ball draws, it’s only a couple of yards. The G410 ball speed was about the same (within 1 mph and spin was within 100rpms....... on a tee that was too low, so my spin was elevated to 22-2400 with the Maverik and 23-2500 with my G410, normally my G410 is between 1750-1900 spin with a proper tee height. Overall not a bad showing for the Maverik being that it had a standard grip, stock shaft, and I didn’t play around with the settings. I can see the Maverik being a great club if you fine tune it. The maverik launced about 1° Higher as well, it was set at 9° I feel like in its stock set up, with a proper tee height, I would see numbers that look like 17 degree launch and around 1700 rpms at 164-165 ball speed. If my wife wouldn’t kill me, I may have just bought it after that session!

it’s definitely worth getting a proper fitting if you are still considering to make a change, not to mention the confidence of feeling like your going to split the fairway and not have to worry about a dreaded push ?

Very similar initial impressions to mine. The Sim I have to work too hard to turn over and the two way miss comes in because of it. I can swing hard and free at the Mav and to some degree my Ping and get a good result. When I lose confidence in my driving I start to aim middle and can get the spinny block creeping in or miss with a bit of a pull. I have some testing materials coming this week from global golf prior to the fit.. will report back.