PXG 0811 X+ Prototype Round 1

Lobber

I have the X+ as I hit up on the ball and need launch.

It's early days yet, but the X+ is certainly more forgiving than my SIM, and about the same distance on well-struck shots. I like the deep face and the sound/feel.

The Evenflow it came with doesn't really suit, soI'm currently using the old Matrix Xcon I used when I had the original PXG XF a few years back.

I may retip the Helium.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

Their covers are second to none. I love my hybrid covers.

• Like 2
Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Proto is a game changer for me. So is the GP shaft.

GAMER SETUP:

Callaway AiSmoke TD 8* @ 7* | Tour AD HD 7s 

Callaway AiSmoke TD 3W | Denali Black 6.0 70g

TaylorMade SIM Ti 5W | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway Apex Black 4-P | Nippon Modus 120 S +1"

Titleist 48* @ 49* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 54* @ 55* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 58* @ 59* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | 36" - 71* - 3.5*

What driver did you replace with the 0811 X? We have had one person that has used both the X and the X+. I Would like to hear about anyone that has experience with both . The X+ is supposed to be for upward angle of attack and the X is for neutral to descending angle of attack. Has anyone used them in reverse? X+ with descending or X with ascending angles of attack?

I have also read that the X is less forgiving despite having a deeper face. I would assume that lack of forgiveness is towards the heel or toe? For the X+, I hit way too many low on the face shots and a lot towards the heel - they seem to fly pretty well. By no means are they great shots, but not bad. How is the X with the edge hits, toe and heel?

Thanks!

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

I game the X, switched from the Mavrik SZ. X has significantly more forgiveness than the Mavrik SZ, mishits had 7mph more ball speed. Had two other guys in my playing group switch from the SIM to the X and from the G400 LST to the X+. Personally I think the attack angle statements can box people in. X is low spin, X+ is not low spin. If you are self fitting all you need to ask yourself is if you need low spin or not.

If you miss low heel a lot, try scooting closer to the ball on your setup. Sounds counter intuitive, but likely you are scooting back to try and center the club and ending up reaching/lunging at the ball and still striking it toward the heel. I used to try and scoot back to combat that issue and my teaching pro had me scoot up a bit and instantly started finding the center more and the toe for misses more. Worth a try on the range unless you have a teaching pro that has told you otherwise!

GAMER SETUP:

:) I am not worried about my setup - I hit most of the shots well with the X+. My miss has moved from traditionally high toe to low heel with the X+. I am looking to hear how people have found the X to be on perimeter hits.

As far as the other question - you have essentially parroted back the recommendations from PXG on spin and lack of spin. I am NOT attacking your post in the least. I am trying to clarify what I am looking for - and yes I am working with ball position in my stance - there is merit in what you suggested :)

I want to know has a descending blow player tried the X+ with the weight forward, or the converse would be an ascending player using the X with the weight back? If the weights are reversed how different are these two heads? Can an ascending player use the X with the ball slightly further back to change the angle of attack and be productive?

I have a lot of experience with the Epic Flash SZ driver and the Mavrik SZ FW, and if the X is more forgiving, that is telling me it is pretty forgiving. Where are your mishits with the X that they are forgiving?

I gotcha!

Yes on descending X+ weight forward, not aware of any X w/ weight backward. Yes on ascending w/ an X

I have a friend (122mph swing speed) with a negative AoA who is a serious digger who went to the X+ weight forward w/ a yellow smoke shaft from a G400 LST w/ a hzrdus yellow and he will never switch to another driver again.

I have a friend (114mph swing speed) w/ a negative AoA who went from TS3 w/ PX T1100 who went to weight forward X+ w/ PX T1100 and was hitting it extremely well.

I have a friend who is a sweeper (118mph swing speed) go from a SIM w/ a Diamana S+ Limited to a X w/ a Tensei Orange weight forward.

I'm transitioning from sweeper to shallow divot, AoA is -2.3 to -3.4 w/ 8i and 0.0 to +0.5 w/ driver and I moved from a Mavrik SZ 14g forward w/ MSI 130 White to a X w/ GP7x weight forward. My swing speed fluctuates. Typically average 105-106mph. Can rise and dip a few above that.

All swing speeds from everyone I mentioned are witnessed Trackman swing speeds. Above mentioned golfers excluding myself are currently 1.6 to 4.8hcp's and have all been sub 3hcps.

My misses in the face are two way (Golf is hard). Typically low/low slight heel to high toe. The first two I mentioned in addition to myself are high toe misses, the other is a low heel miss.

Hope that's somewhat helpful and I interpreted your questions correctly!

• Like 1

GAMER SETUP:

Damn - that is great stuff - thanks. A few questions for the witness :)

For the sweeper (Sim/Diamana) - he goes to the X with Tensei Orange and weight forward - and I assume it worked well? Why did he go with the X and did he try the weight back in the X? I assume no on the latter since you said you did not know anyone hitting that combo.

Interesting on the digger getting on well with the X+ - very cool stuff.

If you could try and pay attention when you guys all play just to try and see how mishits go for the various players and anything else you can provide, I am sure others would find that helpful in potential club purchases. This is the kind of data you can hardly ever find. Most videos are fluff pieces and the real data that you want to see is rarely ever out there. There are times where you just can not (or it is really hard) get to hit all the combos you want, or hit any of the combos you want.

Thanks!

Diamana guy's spin numbers were high enough the fitters didn't feel comfortable going to the X+. His miss is always a cut miss, misses have been in playable rough.

Digger's went to X+ because they were ok losing a few yards if their mishits found more fairways. They we're bombing it already and didn't have spin issues w/ either club. Both Digger's misses are snap hooks and in the Proto heads the snap hooks have looked more like high toe hard draw misses opposed to a full blown snap hook.

My miss was traditionally a big cut or a playable hook. So far I've eliminated the big cut but attribute that more to shaft change than anything else.

• Like 1

GAMER SETUP:

I'll chime in on my experience that may answer some of your questions (hopefully). I previously was playing a Cobra F9 (10.5 lofted to 9.5d) with Aldila Tour Green 65s...which I thought was a game changer for me last year when I started playing it. Hit some of my longest & definitely most consistent driver I had played up until then (I've tried tons of them too). And for the record I Love Cobra drivers ever since the Bio Cell.

When the Gen2 came out on the Heros price list I wanted to get one, loved the top look and sound, so I did. I got the 0811x with Evenflow Blue 65s as I've usually done better with low spin heads because of my descending attack angle (-2 to -2.5 trackman), but mid launch shaft to help with launch. The Gen2 is a very good driver, but with my miss mid toe/high toe it turned left too hard for me. Then the Proto went on Heros price list even lower & I had seen a review that showed the toe shot was much better with it compared to the Gen2 so I went and got fitted.

I tried the X+ first in my fitting with weight both front & rear and with both high/low launch & mid/low spin shafts (Smoke Yellow, Evenflow White, Evenflow Blue, Fuji Pro, Tensei, Riptide. My miss with driver is usually high toe/mid toe with a few low middle shots. Driver was "good" at 10.5 (gave me the launch window we wanted) but spin was still over 3,000 whether weight was up front or back. I hit it in a nice smallish dispersion circle, but wasn't getting distance because of the spin.

So next I tried the X with same shafts and also set to 10.5 because it was the launch window. We started with weight back and it immediately brought spin down to 2,400-2,500 which was very good and gained that distance back. In the fitting the fitter said he didn't want to mess with moving the weight because he felt like the head was stable where it was, giving me the launch & spin that would be best for my everyday swing. We did try the different shafts to see how it changed spin & it did a little but wasn't as consistent. The Riptide CB, Proto X set to 10.5 with weight back gave me a very small dispersion circle both front to back & left to right. It checked every box. Also this Proto took my miss and it is now playable versus the Gen2 miss I was having. Toe shots now are on left side or just off fairway versus out of play. I have hit a few shots low heel and low middle that I didn't expect to go far or be in play and those have managed to surprise me as well. I have tried moving the weight forward for 1 round so far just to see how it changed the driver, but was having a bad day so switched it back and will give it another try sometime in the future (maybe) because right now this driver is a touch longer than the F9 I used all last year, just a touch more forgiving and it doing well on my handicap this year.

For reference, I'm a 11.4 handicap (down from 18 in January), 104-108 swing speed, 42 year old former collegiate baseball player with a bad back and left knee

Hope this helps some or at least gives you more information.

• Like 1

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

Great feedback!

I have also been really surprised by some bad misses (awful swings and ball strikes still ending up playable and not round killing).

GAMER SETUP:

Wow - great stuff - thanks to you both for the info - just what I was looking for. My former miss being high toe resulted in a low left shot that was short and hard to control at times. With the Proto X+ and Riptide shaft, that is gone and my misses have migrated to low and low heel - still very much in play. With the $100 lower price at this point, I am toying with a Proto X and setting it up differently as a second option and to test it out versus the X+. Being a club ho it is hard to pass on playing around when they drop prices like they have

Thanks for all the great info - invaluable stuff.

I was stuck in the middle of these two drivers, I feel the X+ is more forgiving on mishits. However I pushed the X+ to be more X like, I put the heavy weight forward and turned the loft down to 8.5* ( started with a static 10* ). When I played the X, I played it with the weight back and at 9*. you cant go wrong with either driver, but at the end of the day it comes down to more forgiveness or less spin and a hotter trajectory. I came from the Sim driver which is a great driver, looks good, feels great, very low spin, but the shallow face is what got ti kicked out of the bag. My angle of attack is +3 but it changes with how well im swinging. I never go negative unless by accident but my zone is 2-4* up

I ordered the Proto X+ yesterday with EvenFlow Riptide CB 60g 6.0. I currently play a Ping G30 SFT 10 degree with Ping Tour Shaft. I usually play a Diamana Blueboard 60 Stiff Shaft in my drivers. Hoping this driver will be a good replacement with for the Ping and hoping the shaft is somewhat similar to the Blueboard. Still was not sure if I should get the X or X+.

I think to make it similar to the SFT Ping, I would need to move the heavier weight to the heel - right? Appreciate any comments on above. Thanks!

What did they quote for build time? I was getting ready to call and see that as well as the upcharge on a GD AD IZ.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I just called and ordered the X with the Riptide CB shaft and had it combined with a hybrid I had on order - I thought that I would save on the shipping by combining them, but that is not the case :) Two or more clubs is $60 - foiled again :) He said that the driver would hopefully move the hybrid up in the build process. I just got a putter that was 10 total days from order to arrival, and my X+ driver was something like that back in May - for whatever reason the drivers ship quickly. I am hoping I did not slow down my driver shipment.

I think there needs to be a sticky thread on GolfWRX where you send in a post to ask if you should buy something and then others respond that it is OK :)

Good man!!! Sounds like they want to get these drivers out the door. A Gen2 driver build time is like 4 weeks.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

NO Reason to even consider the Gen2 vs the Proto, it's that much better. Seriously

• Like 1

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

My Gen2 has been so good lately and can not wait to get off BST suspension from the wife and get my rig ordered.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

This thread made me call PXG and talk to a fitter today. Awesome guy and he quickly knew he was talking to an equipment junkie. I asked several questions about the Proto. Here’s what was said:

Still plenty of both heads available no word on Gen3 woods coming out soon, especially hybridsA PGA pro has a proto 3 or 5 wood in play. He could not find pics of it. Proto is still low spin and much more forgiving than Gen2 0811x+ is a little higher spinning as everyone saysno GD AD IZ shaft upgrade for drivers, only hybrids ($200) AD DI is $300 for driverIf I order my Proto at 44.5” they can target a SW with hotmeltBuild time appx. 7 business days and if I add another club it can also be built quicker due to the Proto order (need a 0211 GW)Hope this helps someone. Love the guys at PXG. They always go out of their way to help. Best customer service I have ever dealt with.

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Haha - My name is Andy and I have a club buying problem Cool on the confirmation that the Proto order bumps my hybrid build up a bit - very cool.

Be wary of the promise to get the swingweight right. I order the X+ at 44” and requested D4. I assumed they would hotmelt it or at least go the lazy route and swap out the weights for heavier ones but the Just installed a stock head on a shorter shaft and shipped it out. Club cane at C9. After 3 weeks of back and forth with PXG and all they did was send another 15g weight which is useless as it brings the SW up to D8. So took care of it myself with lead tape under the weights to get it to D4. Still haven’t hit it yet but I hope all the aggravation is worth it.

I live 20 minutes from PXG HQ and I would be pissed enough to drive it there and drop it off if that happened. Hope it ends up working out.

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick