2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Personal coolers brought onto the course

The liquor license argument is BS, unless you are captain obvious rolling in openly with a case of beer.

The key here is to have some class, respect, or at least some tact. Buy something from the beverage cart attendant at least once in awhile, and tip well.

I have a buddy who makes roughly $200k a year and his wife is a lawyer, so she can't be doing too bad either; and the dude constantly smuggles and won't buy anything from the bev cart, even though it's obvious he's drinking. That gets on my nerves. A sure way to get busted and ruin it for everyone is to piss off the person it affects most. I can't tell you how many beers I've bought and never even drank, just to keep the cart person happy and avoid scrutiny...often because of him ?‍♂️

Hypocrites?

I can assure you, I have never taken my own beer onto a course, even before I started in the industry.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Interesting thread. I grew up playing in the UK, and there was never any restriction on bringing drinks and food onto the course. That was decades ago, and I don't know what it's like know, but most of us were happy to spend money at the bar anyway.

Now, I play in Japan, and I've never played a course that has restrictions on what you can bring on. Most places include the cost of lunch in a round, or did pre Cover, and the prices marked up a bit, but we're free to take as much water/beer/food on the course as we want. Cart girls aren't a thing around here, but most courses have a couple of "chashitsu" which are huts that serve drinks and light snacks. Most beverages there are charged (with a bit of a markup), but water is free, as is a free chilled flannel, which is a godsend in summer.

My Ping DLX bag has a cooler built in. Problem solved.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

On one hand...I feel that I should be allowed to eat and drink whenever I choose. If I want to bring a 18" Italian hoagie and 6 beers with me to eat outside while I play golf - I should be able to do that. (We live in 'Merica dammit!) (Same argument if I go to the movies - why can't I bring my own candy bar and drink with me?)

On the other hand, I get the idea that the courses want to scrape as much money from you as possible. They are allowed to set the rules and I can choose to go there and abide by them or take my business elsewhere. I don't like it - but I can respect it.

What's next? No outside food? A surcharge / corking fee if I bring my own beer (I will bring with me 6 beers - OK, that will be an extra $30 fee added to your bill) No outside golf balls - you have to buy and play ours?

• Like 1

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

You guys try taking a cooler packed with a case of Bud to the next MLB/NFL/NHL/NBA/PGA event you go to and let me know how that goes. And they charge a heck of a lot more for a 12 ounce beer than most golf courses. Just because you can sneak it onto a course easier than you can through the gates of a sporting event, doesn't make it right. But those that I'm speaking about will fail to see it's the exact same thing.

• Like 2

Vokey

Just like with anything a business is allowed to determine who can say what, bring in outside products, etc. in many cases the liquor board determines what can and can’t be personal. A business pays lots of money for those licenses and will do what they need to to maintain it and profit from it.

Golf is a game of integrity and everyone gets in a tizzy when people talk about breaking rules and etiquette of the game but somehow some of them overlook the same when it comes consumption of food and drinks.

• Like 1

For the same reason you have rules for your kids (if you have any). You don't let them do whatever they damn well please. Or letting the guy down the street fool around with your wife. The argument that you should be able to do whatever pleases you, doesn't work. Even in "Merica.

Look at it from the cart girls perspective... She serves you a couple of beers and you have a 6 pack of your own. You drive away and injury/kill someone. She is not only going to feel horrible, but she might be criminally liable for over serving you. The clubs don't make these rules just to inconvenience you, but to control how much you drink and be responsible. You might say that you'd never do that, but the next guy likely will.

• Like 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

As the OP, I have read all the comments and have been entertained with the different positions and methods used to bring drinks onto the course. As mentioned in my OP, I believe the course should have no issues with you bringing in water/non-alcoholic drinks especially if they don't have water out along the course. Regarding alcoholic beverages, I won't bring them on at anytime. If we have an opportunity to purchase one either from the cart girl or at a course shack, and I am in the mood for one, I will do so from them. You're talking $6+ tip for a beer, not big money and no more than you would in a restaurant or bar.

For those of you consuming 5+ beers a round, I think that is a problem. A few beers a round is "drinking while golfing". More than a few, now you're into the "golfing while drinking " category as in a drinking activity with a side activity of golf. I am not a fan of "buzzed golfing". People can become belligerent, combative, unsafe and destructive. Watch several "Funniest Moments in Golf" videos on Youtube that involve golf cart stupidity. They almost always involve some yahoo 20-30 year old guy drinking and driving.

• Like 2

With courses removing all water from the course, I've brought a soft-sided cooler with me to keep ice packs and water in. I also bought a Igloo water jug that holds 64 ounces and typically drink it all by the time we're on the 18th hole. It seems odd that courses would have an issue with it.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

There is a course in MA (The Orchards) that crosses over into a dry town (Granby) for a few holes. There is a sign saying "No alcohol beyond this point."

It wasn't until 2011 they actually allowed any alcohol on the course at all (it was indoors only).

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Some things never disappoint. The fact you don't see it and have to ask, tells us all we need to know about your stance.

• Like 1

Vokey

But I'll indulge you because, well I have a free moment.

You're purchasing a ticket--aka greens fee--to an event---aka round of golf---held at a privately owned facility--aka golf course, where you are required to follow it' rules. Each of those have rules regarding the same thing, no outside alcohol. Period end of statement.

Vokey

Am I allowed to bring my own golf balls or do I have to buy them from the course? Paying a green fee is a ticket to an event? Lol. Not hardly. I’m not debating the so called rule I’m saying people aren’t gonna abide by it and for the most part it’s never enforced. Been to plenty of courses that supposedly don’t allow coolers or outside beverages where the guys at the bag drop load it up for us.

Rules are rules, whether they are enforced or followed will always be an ongoing issue. As for bringing your own balls, absolutely not, you are forced to buy our $52 a dozen Pro V's! Thanks for the business :)

For the guys at courses that help load the beer in your carts what can I say...other than my god how much beer are you bringing that you need help loading it up!!

I don't know about their laws, only the 140 courses I work for in more than 21 states where it's absolutely forbidden. But i'm sure those that do sneak them on a course, probably find a way to sneak them into a professional game as well, either in their coat pockets or something.

Vokey

As I stated earlier in this thread, if you only have water in your cooler I don't see the harm since the course isn't providing any. Its a health issue of a different kind. Sneaking beer in is still a violation. What if minors sneak in beer? Would these same people justify sneaking in beer to a movie theater?

When I worked in a pro shop after retirement our course had posted signs that read "No alcoholic beverages are to be brought onto this course". The starters were told to inspect every cooler brought onto the property. We allowed water or anything non-alcoholic as sometimes the grill wasn't always opened and often people would have special needs. We were told this would meet any legal issues if someone brought in their own liquor.

• Like 2

Holy crap! I thought $13.75 for a 6 pack was high! I love beer but I'll drink water before I pay $6 for a beer anywhere.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

The courses around here aren’t enforcing it for water. They have it stated on their website there is no water on the course. It’s been hot and humid in the dc area and there’s no way one could manage without water. At least one course I’ve played has no beverage cart in service so you only get to grab something at the snack shop before the round and at the turn.

LOL...I don't play many courses that run a beverage cart. When I have I have always run into the same thing. We see the beverage cart person on hole one or two right after you have bought something before leaving the club house or we see them on hole ten or eleven right after you have bought something again at the club house. You would think we would see them when there is more of a chance to need something from them like hole 5,6,7, or 14,15,16 but you never do.

I'm with you. I bring my own refreshments because you can't count on the course to supply you with what you need.

I was just going to recommend getting a bag with a cooler pocket. And/or empty out one of your bags' larger pockets and retro-fit that into an in-bag cooler. Got to do what one has to do to get by.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter