2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Golf in Houston area

CAT GOLFER

Woodlands to Pasadena even twice a week is freaking horrible. I’m not sure what you needs are at the airport but hobby will satisfy most of your domestic needs and will put you much closer to Pasadena. I would consider clear lake, deer park, Pearland for a much happier over all life.

that drive two days a week will put her in the car for ten hours on average. Count in a wreck and we are talking bananas

I’ll be honest, my eye took me to Pearland when I started looking. But whether rightfully or wrongfully, I had been steered north of the city because of flooding concerns. I assume it is a risk regardless.

the travel reasons stem more to do with “preferred flights” per her company travel guidelines, they tell her rather than her choosing. And there will be Canadian travel mixed in, so IAH does make a whole lot more sense.

i like the excitement of the relocation, but it is different now with a wife, kids, and the life considerations that come with them ?. My bulldog and I will just hop on the ride and see where it goes.

Lived just NW of Houston for 10 years. Great golf selection (both public and private). Best among the several states that I've lived in. Affordable and well maintained. Lots of choices. 12 month season. I remember a New Years day, having beers on the patio of the 19th hole, watching a northeast blizzard on TV. Best time for walking is mid Oct- mid Apr.

Select a home site with care to avoid flooding and high crime areas. No zoning in Houston, they build anywhere. Don't trust what a realtor tells you. Avoid the SE refinery area. Home prices are very low. You can find a nice place for the money. Great restaurant city. Downside is the strip-mall architecture everywhere.

I’m looking forward to the weather aspect, I started golfing some 15 yrs ago when I worked in Tulsa and I was getting like 50 rounds in for a year, usually 50 degrees is my cutoff so there should be many more days to play going forward. And I like to think I play better when I can get some reps and rounds in.

I've lived in Pearland for almost 40 years and NEVER flooded. Just like any city around here, some parts flood, some don't. Pearland is a great place to live as is the Woodlands area.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 Red w/White Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

The Pearland suggestion is legit. Hobby is a great airport for getting in an d out of Houston. The south side has some decent golf and the traffic down there is not quite as horrible as the rest of Htwon. It is worth looking into. Shadow Creek has some really nice homes and Pearland schools are pretty good.

Driver - Ping G430 9.0*  Mitsubishi Diamana ZF Series 60 stiff 
3W - Ping G425 Max  Mitsubishi Diamana ZF Series 70 stiff 

7W - Ping G425 Max  Mitsubishi Diamana ZF Series 70 stiff 

4 Hybrid - Ping G425 AD DI 95S
Irons - Ping i525 Black dot Project x IO S
Wedges -Vokey Wedgeworks SM9 54* & 58* Modus 115 S
Putter - Lajosi PTriple Protoype

• 1 month later...

We settled on Tomball. She likely won’t have to drive to Pasadena for the foreseeable future and getting to IAH Short/longer term is more important. I am 100% WFH, and will probably start traveling for work next year.

I think I have convinced myself that Longwood Golf Club meets my needs, is the right price, and is an easy enough drive. Does anyone have any thoughts on the course(s)?

Tomball is pretty centrally located to a lot of good golf courses. A lot more options North and NW of town than South of town. High Meadow Ranch & Blackhorse are close. Cypresswood is only 12 miles. And Champions has two great private courses at a reasonable price.

• Thanks 1

Gift ideas?  Products I have tested.

At this point, proximity, decent price, and good enough quality might weigh heavily on my decision. I appreciate everyone’s suggestions. And it is likely I won’t continue on with any one membership in perpetuity.

I am getting to a point in life where slightly more time is freeing up for me(first kid starting school, next shortly after), so the extra hour or so I get needs to be efficient. I’ll be honest, I’m a hacker, so pristine greens and perfect fairways aren’t an absolute necessity and the extra 5-10minutes means I am on the range/green/tee that much sooner and back in the car.

I’m not doing anything until I play, and I plan to try as many of the suggestions made as possible. I really do appreciate all the local knowledge, It further perpetuates the great sentiment and hospitality of WRX and TX respectively.

I thought champions was member only?

If I stay here long term, I would join there, neighbour was going through the process last time I spoke to him.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

To the best of my knowledge it still is, which is why @CougarRed wrote "Champions has two great private courses . . . ."

• Thanks 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

• 2 weeks later...

Do not, I repeat, do not join Longwood. The layout is actually decent. But it always floods. And let’s just say, I know the owner. I would never be a member of any course his group owns. Look into some of the private courses. Northgate CC is super cheap and the layout is ok. But don’t join anywhere til you’ve moved here and you’ve played a bunch of courses. Most places will let you play for free if you’re in the decision making mode. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Judge Smales said:

Do not, I repeat, do not join Longwood. The layout is actually decent. But it always floods. And let’s just say, I know the owner. I would never be a member of any course his group owns. Look into some of the private courses. Northgate CC is super cheap and the layout is ok. But don’t join anywhere til you’ve moved here and you’ve played a bunch of courses. Most places will let you play for free if you’re in the decision making mode. 

@Judge Smales any thoughts on Gleannloch pines?

Does anyone have additional thoughts on Northgate or Raveneaux CC?  The only other courses that are close enough looking at a map would be Windrose, BlackHorse, Cypress Lakes, Champions, or Tomball CC.

i think about 20mins is my limit, anything more than that is going to be annoying and become a deterrent. All the courses I have called out are at or below based upon my new address.  And if I am being honest, price is a factor as well.  I’m not a member of any club currently, so this will be an additional expense above our new normal. Thanks again to all that have commented.

34 minutes ago, CAT GOLFER said:

Does anyone have additional thoughts on Northgate or Raveneaux CC?  The only other courses that are close enough looking at a map would be Windrose, BlackHorse, Cypress Lakes, Champions, or Tomball CC.

i think about 20mins is my limit, anything more than that is going to be annoying and become a deterrent. All the courses I have called out are at or below based upon my new address.  And if I am being honest, price is a factor as well.  I’m not a member of any club currently, so this will be an additional expense above our new normal. Thanks again to all that have commented.

I believe Raveneaux has had money issues in the past, but I'm not sure if that has been resolved. I think at one point there were talks of selling the land to the city, but again, these are all faint memories. The area around Raveneaux is really nice.

My best advice is to deal with the drive and come out to Pine Forest. Great courses in great condition all the time, and the people are excellent. The only thing that could hamper you is your age, as we limit the number of members in each category, and I think one of our membership age groups is full or about to be full (21-32, I think).

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

Raveneaux is no longer exclusively private as it is now open to the public. They also sold the course to the city for a retention pond, so it’s on its death bed. 

champions is minutes away, but a little more costly. Champions has 2 great courses.  It is set to host the upcoming LPGA Women’s open championship.  Very golf oriented club.  

northgate is in the same vacinity. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CAT GOLFER said:

Northgate is a great value. I was a member there briefly and left only because of buying a new home more than a half hour away. You won’t find cheaper dues at a legitimate private country club. The layout is ok, not great not bad. Lots of good players there. It is also fully reciprocal with Walden on Lake Conroe, one of my favorite courses in the area. You could certainly do worse than Northgate. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I’ve now played Longwood, Gleannloch Pines, and Hidden Meadow since I have moved down to TX.  

Longwood, I must admit looks like it has good bones but the edges are rough.  My round was 5+ hrs.  I met a really nice couple, but I don’t think the price matches the goods for me.  It’s a close grass driving range, so not a complete waste.

Gleannloch was a really fun course, decent condition.  My only issue is they have had a competition almost every weekend forcing play onto a single 9.  And I am not interested in teeing off at 3pm this late in the year.  I am guessing the lack of tournament play over the summer is condensing the schedule in the fall.

Hidden meadow ranch was a really fun track, great conditions.  It is just a haul to get there. But it was an easy drive.

I still want to try Northgate.

High Meadow Ranch is one of my favorite public courses in the state.

And if you can swing Champions, it’s a great golf experience. 

Edited by LeftyTPH
  • Like 2

Titleist 915 D3 - Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec X
Titleist 917f - Tour AD DI 7s
Adams XTD DHy 3 - KBS C Taper Lite S

Callaway Apex Utility 24 - Aerotech i110 XStiff
Ping s55 5 thru P - Modus 105x
TaylorMade R Series - 52, 56, 60 - Modus 120x
Odyssey White Hot XG #7

On 11/10/2020 at 8:14 AM, CAT GOLFER said:

I’ve now played Longwood, Gleannloch Pines, and Hidden Meadow since I have moved down to TX.  

Longwood, I must admit looks like it has good bones but the edges are rough.  My round was 5+ hrs.  I met a really nice couple, but I don’t think the price matches the goods for me.  It’s a close grass driving range, so not a complete waste.

Gleannloch was a really fun course, decent condition.  My only issue is they have had a competition almost every weekend forcing play onto a single 9.  And I am not interested in teeing off at 3pm this late in the year.  I am guessing the lack of tournament play over the summer is condensing the schedule in the fall.

Hidden meadow ranch was a really fun track, great conditions.  It is just a haul to get there. But it was an easy drive.

I still want to try Northgate.

I live in what sounds like the exact area you are in (249/Louetta/Northpointe) and have played pretty much all the courses you are looking at. IMO, unless you are joining a private club to pretty much exclusively play, you shouldn't join anywhere and instead play all those available around you.

I usually frequent Longwood simply because it's 5 minutes down the road and is in good enough condition. The layout isn't the greatest, but it's still fun enough to be entertaining.

High Meadow Ranch is nice and fun (just far enough north of town where you start getting into the hills), but it is a jog to get up there and the drive would get old after a while.

As for Champions, I grew up playing there and was a member up until a couple years ago. Great golf vibe, but it's also pricey ($27K initiation, $650‐$700/month dues, plus cart and range balls cost extra). The playing conditions are second to none, but it isn't worth the price unless you're playing all the time or have a ton of disposable income. And IMO it's become a bit of a relic of what it once was. A lot of people hanging onto past history instead of worrying about where the club is headed in the future. There are a lot of members with chips on their shoulders thinking the club is still "exclusive" like it was 30 or 40 years ago.

Edited by msd3075
  • Like 1