2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Here is the latest from GW on the MMB and a future replacement.

Sad to say the MMB-17 will be going way. I love that iron. Just simply time to let it fade off into the sunset. Sales stayed steady until the TS-1 came out, even though they have vastly different technology, they are both blades and the modern TS-1 has been a killer. I believe there will always be a place for a basic muscle back or cavity back (TE) players profile blade without all the distance enhancing technology. So, to that end, we are working on a model that I hope will eventually replace not only the MMB-17 but the TE and DBM as well. The plan is for it to be a basic cavity design like the TE, with a little more modern profile and size and more modern standard lofts. I am not sure if we need to do a pure muscle back as well, but we may. The TE / DBM replacement will be first. Once the product cycle on the TS-1 runs it’s course, a pure muscle might make more sense, but we will see. Probably will not see anything until mid to late 2021 as development times have been slowed due to the current crisis. Still, we are working on it and will push for a shorter timeline.

Only a few MMB-17’s remaining, minus the #3 and the GW. Might have to get me one more set just to keep.

Thanks for the support and interest.

Britt Lindsey

• Like 1

An update since I got these last week. I built them up with DG105 x100. Previously I've played PXi stiff, and ctaper lites stiff. But my miss is left of left ;) turns out these shafts are damn near perfect for my miss. Now for the irons. wow. they look fantastic, and as others have mentioned the topline just disappears after a few hits. It's such a nice looking club down at the ball, the offset and topline just square up the ball nicely. With the combo of the dg105's, my ball flight has come down considerably (exactly what I wanted), and my draw has nearly turned into straight and sometimes with a nice fade. The soles just glide thru the turf amazing as well. My miss is thin and even low on the face, I'm not losing too much distance at all. I'll be really putting them to the test next week with 5 rounds on the docket for our annual golf trip.

Changing...

I've got a set of MMB-17 Black. IMO, the best looking head in the Maltby line. The problem is that I'm still transitioning from picker to more of a digger. Although, it could make an interesting choice as a training club.

Always wondered how a mixed set of DBM (long irons) down to MMB black in the short irons and wedges would work. Have to believe transition point (8-iron to 9-iron) could be a problem. Need to check lofts, too. (Edit: Lofts exactly 1* apart throughout the set; not a problem.)

• Like 1

BTW, shameless plug for Jumbomax grips. Just regripped my TS2 a month ago with the medium original wraps and it's a new world for me. My hands aren't overly big (L to XL glove, depending on model). But, years of competitive bowling made my left hand less flexible, and I think a finger-based grip just moved on me during my swing.

I feel that I swing with more confidence having more weight in the grip and more grip in my hand. Usual disclaimer: YMMV...

I really like the look of the MMB-17 Black. That’s what I had. Never should have sold them. I didn’t realize at the time that there were so few sets made.

I also had the DMB. I never got along with them. Sometimes I just got this spiny shot that went nowhere. The MMB’s were better in that regard, just hit a few fat ones that cost me.

Think it could be the swing? Nah...

I actually did something similar but I didn’t go to that extreme. I have very small hands for a dude, wear small gloves but when I got the ts2 I got mid size grips and added a couple extra wraps. The comfort that I have now is so much better I have no idea why I hadn’t tried this before.

• Like 1

Changing...

I was so tempted to take a set of MMB Blacks and relieve the front edge of the sole and they would have been perfect. But then I would have been chasing head weight with lead tape and im not a lead tape kind of guy.

I lobed every aspect of the MMB blacks but a couple of times a round I would hit these embarrassingly fat shots that had the ball go 40 yards. I could bury those heads in the turf like a back hoe.

The PTM blacks are the solution for now as the releived sole keeps me from any fat shot. I belive the replacement MMB/TE iron with be a mix of PTM and MMB. At least I hope so.

• Like 1

I would love if they would make a completely forged iron with the size and sole of the TS1s and the overall shape of the PTMs... but with a little less offset. Make a muscle back and players cavity version with matching lofts designed to blend the sets as needed. They can have modern lofts, but need to have a normal loft progressions, not the crazy spacing like the TS1s (not sure what they were thinking there). No weird badges or graphics, just sweet looking forged irons. Why not make them perfect, right?

Then have a line of wedges to match them with different bounce options for each loft. The wedges can be slightly larger to match well with other sets they sell as well. Maybe slightly larger than the TSWs. Also, less visual offset with a straight leading edge. If they wanted, they could have different grinds as well. Discontinue every other model of wedges and go with one model with a bunch of different options.

Balls in your court Maltby, haha.

Driver - Cobra F8+ Black 11* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 76g Stiff
3 wood- TEE EX9 15*, Matrix Ozik MFS 75M4 Black Tie 75g Stiff
7 wood- Maltby UFW 21*, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 95x (-.5")
4I-GW - Maltby TS1 Forged, Project X 6.0 Flighted
56.12 - Maltby TSW Forged, Project X 7.0 Flighted (8i)
60.08 - Maltby TSW Forged, Project X 6.0 Flighted
Putter - TaylorMade Classic 79 TM-880

A friend of mine was pretty impressed with my Maltby's and asked me to build him a 9 iron and a 56* to replace two clubs he lost. He is not a great golfer and was mostly concerned with costs. So I built him an STi2 9 iron and a Tour MG 56.

50211460121_954a983c8f_o.jpgI had built myself a 7 iron to test and really liked it. The 9 iron also impressed me quite a lot. Especially at how good it looked down at address. I gush about how great the TS1's look, and this is the TS1 9 iron compared to the STi2.

50211733002_1d1e515b3f_o.jpgAnd here again is the 7 irons. TS1 on the left, STi2 on the right.

49879614761_c1f8012cb2_o.jpg

The STi2 has a bit more toe, but it doesn't have a ton of offset or top line for how easy it is to hit. Very impressed with the shaping of the head looking down. I hit it a few times on the range after giving it to my friend. We were both quite impressed with how easy it was to hit. High and straight all day for me. The feel is not 'Mizuno Blade' - but it is quite good. I love the softer leading edge and cambered sole. The badging and graphics on the back aren't my favorite. I much prefer the more minimalist design of the TS1 or DBM.

Overall I have concluded that the STi2 irons are the best bang for your buck in irons in all of golf, and it may not be very close. The 5-GW iron pak at $175 is unbelievable.

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS - 8*

Woods - Cobra LTDx 14*

Hybrids - Ping G425 19, 22, 26, 30

Irons - Maltby KE4 Max 8-GW

Wedges - Maltby TSW 54, 60

Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura X Armlock

My WITB Shenanigans

Glad you guys like the STi2 since I ordered a set last week. TS1 have been my gamers for 18 months, but I wanted to try something more befitting my status as a non-frequent golfer, and also try some lighter shafts (Aldila NV85).

They have not shipped yet, which means when I play tomorrow, the TS1s will be on fire guaranteed.

I've spent the last 2 hours reading most of this thread and looking at the gw website I'm a 20hc and I'm torn between the sti2 and the ts2. Also want to know what the difference would be with the steel vs graphite shafts I play stiff flex shafts and never thought about graphite till is started looking to buy maltby clubs. I currently game burner plus irons I've had forever just looking for something new.

You are looking at the two opposite ends of the cost spectrum. If not budget minded the TS-2s would be a set that you can grow into with your game. If money is tight the STi2 might be the best bargain in golf by a country mile.

Maltbys house brand of graphite shafts are a decent option. Lots of benefit to gaphite and they play so well these days.

I play the TS2 with Kuro Kage Black gen 2 in stiff. They feel and play great, but they are more "firm" not stiff, IMO. (I can see why you would like the STI2 if you like the look of your Burners. The first time I saw them, I thought they looked a lot like those old TM Burner line...)
I find it odd that (unless I missed them) that GW doesn't offer their house graphite iron shafts in the club paks.
Edit: I see they do offer their house graphite in an STI2 pak. For $225, that looks like stealing...

On 8/11/2020 at 2:07 AM, TownesVZ said:

bf2f394e-15d3-4bcc-8dd3-9fa8f89dff4d.jpeg

ece18756-62b7-4c72-b087-e30fbc52e774.jpegI wanted to share these here, think you all might be the only corner of the internet to appreciate. An overnight soak in vinegar took the DBM off with a little elbow grease. They were just sitting in my garage, so a fun project, but definitely thinking about gaming them again now!

Those look sweet, thanks for sharing. 

I had no idea DBM could be removed with a simple vinegar soak and scrub. Knowing firsthand how durable it is, I always assumed it would take something heavy duty. Since seeing your post I noticed Ryan Barath's video about removing the DBM on his Cobra irons, and I've seen some pictures of Hogan Icon (DBM) blades stripped to raw too. 

Wish I knew this before I installed the new shafts in my Tour MG wedges! Would've played them raw going forward, now that they're on their 4th season (still going strong!) 

This really makes me wonder what exactly DBM is, and how they apply it. Any info I've seen out there seems to be short on details. If vinegar can remove it, it seems like it must be some sort of oxidation coating/treatment. Yet it's ridiculously durable at the same time. It's a miracle finish!

I built a TS2 6i test club recently and have been playing it a couple of weeks now on the back 9's after my league competition is over.  Not much time right now for other testing.  But initial impressions are really great, especially the turf interaction and feel on flush and miss hits.  I currently play Callaway Apex forged (2016) with Steel Fiber Players Spec's in stiff, and did not think anything would displace these.  I am a bit of a digger and high ball hitter, but have been learning to hit lower.   Part of my experiment with the TS2 was the Nunchuk shaft I put in it.  I use these in my woods and hybrids, and now my Maltby FDI driving irons, and had a Nunchuk shaft left over from a 5h I no longer use.  So I threw it in the TS2 6i and cut to my standard 6i length (37.75) and this thing goes straight, really straight and is easy for me to flight the ball. 

I had to experiment a bit to get the SW or MOI right for me, as the Nunchuk is heavier, but not by much, and counter balanced.  I used a lighter for me (51g) mid size grip, as my normal 70g grip made things worse.   Generally this club with this shaft wants to be on a bit lower flight than my Apex's.  Working the ball left or right is really not part of my game (15 hdcp) so I am happy with this result.  The lofts and lengths are the same and I hit them approx the same distance.  But there is something intoxicating about the feel and accuracy of this club that has me ready to order a GW or PW to see if it works as well in the shorter irons.  I will try a Nunchuk Xi iron shaft in the wedge.

Mark

Edited by rx7mark

1 hour ago, rx7mark said:

I built a TS2 6i test club recently and have been playing it a couple of weeks now on the back 9's after my league competition is over.  Not much time right now for other testing.  But initial impressions are really great, especially the turf interaction and feel on flush and miss hits.  I currently play Callaway Apex forged (2016) with Steel Fiber Players Spec's in stiff, and did not think anything would displace these.  I am a bit of a digger and high ball hitter, but have been learning to hit lower.   Part of my experiment with the TS2 was the Nunchuk shaft I put in it.  I use these in my woods and hybrids, and now my Maltby FDI driving irons, and had a Nunchuk shaft left over from a 5h I no longer use.  So I threw it in the TS2 6i and cut to my standard 6i length (37.75) and this thing goes straight, really straight and is easy for me to flight the ball. 

I had to experiment a bit to get the SW or MOI right for me, as the Nunchuk is heavier, but not by much, and counter balanced.  I used a lighter for me (51g) mid size grip, as my normal 70g grip made things worse.   Generally this club with this shaft wants to be on a bit lower flight than my Apex's.  Working the ball left or right is really not part of my game (15 hdcp) so I am happy with this result.  The lofts and lengths are the same and I hit them approx the same distance.  But there is something intoxicating about the feel and accuracy of this club that has me ready to order a GW or PW to see if it works as well in the shorter irons.  I will try a Nunchuk Xi iron shaft in the wedge.

Mark

I played my first round and I am very happy with these clubs I wish I would have played my shots longer from the hole cause the irons didn't let me down. it was everything else in the bag. But the first shot I hit with the 9 iron was pure and landed 5 feet From the hole for birdie (I missed the putt?). The feel from these irons is amazing I tried a set of one length forged irons from Cobra and these feel so much better. I went with the pre assembled set in the deals section and the shafts seem to work great for me. I'm going to make my friends mad cause these irons are going to be all I talk about this week.

On 8/18/2020 at 1:51 PM, GolfSwang said:

Those look sweet, thanks for sharing. 

I had no idea DBM could be removed with a simple vinegar soak and scrub. Knowing firsthand how durable it is, I always assumed it would take something heavy duty. Since seeing your post I noticed Ryan Barath's video about removing the DBM on his Cobra irons, and I've seen some pictures of Hogan Icon (DBM) blades stripped to raw too. 

Wish I knew this before I installed the new shafts in my Tour MG wedges! Would've played them raw going forward, now that they're on their 4th season (still going strong!) 

This really makes me wonder what exactly DBM is, and how they apply it. Any info I've seen out there seems to be short on details. If vinegar can remove it, it seems like it must be some sort of oxidation coating/treatment. Yet it's ridiculously durable at the same time. It's a miracle finish!

I was very shocked that much of the DBM coating or finish was coming off. There has to be something in the vinegar that is causing the finish to release. But where the DBM finish goes into the molecular level of the iron, making it harder and more durable, I wonder how much of the DBM process is removed. 

On 8/19/2020 at 4:27 AM, games said:

The drawback on the DBM is, of course, lack of bendability.  I don't know the metallurgy behind it, but I do wonder if there is a way to get a forged iron bent to custom spec, and THEN apply DBM finish.  Probably pretty costly...

I've bent the DBM 2*.  They can be moved

• Thanks 1