2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Monthly Motivation: August - Late Summer Run

Golf season is in it's peak here in KY... my boys on the Chasing Scratch podcast have committed to six weeks of hardcore golfing, and I'm going to do the same.

My goals over the next six weeks:Play well in the Member Member over the weekend. Starts tomorrow. Only major issue is I'm bringing an unknown wedge into it and I tend to hit a lot of wedges on my home course... My 54 is in Idaho waiting to be shipped to me (dumb mistake on my part)... I have a 50 and 58, but relied on the 54 for most shots into greens... I'm not sure exactly what my plan is, but I have a $30 ping wedge in my bag as of right now. Should be interesting.Get in more rounds of golf: The Chasing Scratch guys want to play 20 rounds and completely reset their handicaps... I'm not working, and hopefully the girls are going back to school in 3 weeks, so this might be doable for me... Commit to a stretching routine: Really need to do this more often... I just need to make a habit and do it every morning when I get out of bed... Recommit to healthy living: Need to get back into the gym and eating better...

I was going to do a 10 week thing on Reddit, but I think I'm just going to try to commit to getting healthier by my birthday (I turn 39 at end of September) with the goal of being in the best shape of my life by 40...

LET'S GO, LET'S GO!

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

@Myherobobhope How did the member member go?
I like the stretching idea. I actually started stretching with the team to show them form as a way to get a few extra minutes in.
Only played once last week and it was a two man scramble with my group. Hard to judge the full swing game when I'm either going for broke or hitting a safe lay up. Short game was great through. Holed out from 30 yards with a chip and run. Also had a good chip the next hole, was well below the hole and the green ran away from me., luckily the pin was also on the far side. Was able to get it within 6 ft and the partner hit the putt to push the hole.

Well my weekend was HORRIBLE. Worst golf I have played in a long time and I have no one to blame but my fiance. Jk... myself. I was on vacation and only played one time in 2 weeks, and I expected to show up to this little 9 hole course and play well. Day 1 went ok. I shot +2 and I struggled with hitting greens due to the difficulty of the course (and by difficulty I mean for a 150 yard shot, your best bet was to land the ball at 120 and it would bounce its way onto the green and then you just needed to pray it didn't go long). So let's just say I didn't adapt well. But even so, it should not have been that hard for me. So after that round I went and played 18 holes again at my old home course from the blacks which is rated as a 73.5ish for a par 71 and shot even par with a lot of missed putts. So my game is still around for full length courses.

The second round went worse. Before the round even started I was bit by a spider and that must have been a bad omen for the day. I hit 5 greens and shot +7 to fall from 3rd place to tied for 6th, which is outside of the top 5 that I needed to make their club team for another event. Everyone was shocked. They expected me to win the event, let alone make their team, which was the only reason I was invited. So unless 2 people drop out from the team, I will have to apply to play in this tournament as an individual under past champion status and pay my own entry fee. YIKES.

As for the rest of the summer, I have an individual match play tournament on the 15th and 16th, and an open tournament held at my club with some solid players on the 22nd and 23rd. I'm currently in revenge golf mode so I will be practicing hard for the next 2 weeks starting today.

Well the good news is I played with a neurologist on Saturday and he suggested I get my sciatic nerve looked at... now have pt scheduled for tomorrow...

so yeah, that’s the good news. We finished last. I couldn’t make a full swing either day, eeked around the course with an 81 on Saturday with my short game being pretty lights out... tried to swing away the pain Sunday. It did not work. I was probably 20+ yards short off the tee and by the end of the round couldn’t get my body around so everything was going left... I think I hit 5 fairways. 95 and significant physical pain. Should not have played...

so I’m on the disabled list this week, been stretching and feeling better... online physical therapy tomorrow, in person next week...

my game will survive the hiatus, just need to get healthy.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Channel that rage!

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Whelp it looks like I did... to a degree. Had some time after work so I hit a small bucket and then went out to play. Today was league day so it’s super slow. I ended up only playing 5 holes and it absolutely killed me to stop because I shot -4. Everything seemed to click today. I tuned my driver down a degree to 8.5 and that worked, and my wedges and irons were great. Almost aced the 165 yard par 3. Made every putt except a 40 footer for eagle. Hopefully this trend continues.

Today went not as well as yesterday, but I'm annoyed as my putter has still not arrived. The tracking information shows the label has been created, but doesn't show the item received by the post office. I contacted the seller and he says he dropped it off and has had this problem before. I have been using a putter I do not want to game just to make sure I don't fall in love with my teryllium again, but I just found out that I need to do a qualifying round for next weekend's match play tournament this weekend. So if my putter doesn't arrive by tomorrow, I will be forced to use the Tei3.

Anyway, my game feels solid and the driver degree change has been HUGE so far. I dont have fear of ballooning a drive and it's still going high enough. My irons and wedges are solid and trending in the right direction. I'm still in revenge golf mode, so I wanna win every match next weekend by a million.

I wouldn’t count on the post office right now... not going to get into it, but they are struggling.

physical therapy was good, hip still hurts... I’m curious to see how things go upon my successful return. Was playing in pain for two months... hoping strength and flexibility gains translate.

my putting is finally back from awful to mediocre, so that’s nice.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Awesome! Glad I am wrong... had a very long delivery time with something I bought here a few months back.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Yesterday, I played my qualifier for next week's match play event at my club. Everyone plays the qualifier from the white tees, and the course plays easier for me from 1 tee up. I ended the front 9 with 4 straight birdies and didn't have to make a putt longer than 5 feet, so not a great test for my new putter. The back 9 I got to test it better and while I missed a couple early, I had a 3 hole stretch of birdie birdie eagle that were all longer putts. I finished on a 3 putt bogey for my lowest score at this course, a -7 64. I guess this counts as completing one of my goals from January, shooting a round better than -5.

Idk if I'm just insane, a headcase, or just dumb, but after shooting a 64 with my new putter, I'm switching back to my old one. I wasn't a big fan of the feel or look and I really like my tei3. I may switch back and forth between the edel and the tei3.

• Like 1

Played Friday and Sunday. Friday was a freshly aerated course...30 putts, Sunday perfect greens....36 putts had 8 putts at par yesterday converted 2. and 3 putted 2.

On Friday pared 3 straight holes, then got cocky the next two. Put the drive in the FW both times and the first was a par 4 with a tucked right pin and water right. Normal miss is right so I thought aim middle and don't release as much...water. Next hole par 5 another good drive in semi go for it zone. Again it's do not miss right with water so I aimed up the left side and didn't release again...water.

Overall to my previous goals, FIRs are getting there, 6/14 the last few rounds so I am happy with that progress. GIR holding the same, but I'm making more par saves which makes me think I'm coming closer on my approaches with easier up and down chances.

• Like 1

I’ve had a lot of success recently by making sure my misses don’t kill me... if water is right, I’ll make sure my miss will stay dry... conservative play is way less fun but significantly better for the scorecard!

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Cool to see that these threads are still going strong, through one thing and another - Covid19 lockdown and then broken ribs - I have not really had the chance to do too much of this over the course of 2020 and that it is coming close to the end of the summer already is mad. Thankfully, I seem to be back up and running over the past week to 10 days and enjoying what I am seeing.

Stretching - Like you MHBH I have been trying to make sure that I do as much stretching as possible. Having had about 3 weeks of golf once the courses here opened up again, around a week before I broke my rib I was completely unable to play as my lower right back and right glute seemed to have just seized up completely. I have had problems with that area in the past. Going to Yoga seemed to do the trick with getting it sorted a few years ago but then, missed a week. One week became two became two years! Getting back to stretching, always once a day, sometimes twice really seems to be helping. When the Gyms are allowed to reopen here, I will be making sure that I am in for Yoga. It’s not much of a time commitment and if it means I can play more golf long term, I am definitely in for that.

Fitness - General fitness wise, I have been able to get a few more things done as well over the past week or so. Whether it has been jumping on the indoor bike (just the indoor bike, I am not rich enough for peloton), lifting some weights or using some resistance bands whilst the golf was on during the course of last week felt good. I was still able to watch the golf and pass the time and having some DOMS the next couple of days actually felt good. Having not done much for too long, I didn’t want to do too much but I did enough that I was feeling it. I have also downloaded the Fit For Golf App and have a plan in place for next week to get after that, as much as I can, again with the gyms being shut.

Swing - I had really been struggling getting through the ball. I don’t know if this was a mobility issue thus causing the stiff back or if the stiff back had caused the mobility issue. In any event the stretching has been helping and since coming back, I have began to flare my left foot at address. This is allowing me to transfer my weight through the ball much better. I feel like I finishing in a much better position and whilst it still seems odd looking down and seeing that left foot flared if it keeps allowing me to hit it like I have been (and hopefully better) then I will keep doing it. Oddly enough, doing that was something that I hadn’t thought much about before now. I had been thinking about and then starting reading up on it and I stumbled across an article on Francesco Molinari in which he talked about doing the same. As much as I would like to think I am not, I am built fairly similarly to Franky and with that the decision was made to use that tip and thus far it is working well. I will keep at it and I have been enjoying practice now an awful lot more now that I am not spending off of it trying to stop getting stuck, hitting the ball with a shot that starts right and cuts and finishing up with a sore back.

Short Game - Given that I had been wary about hurting my back more rather than going back straight to hitting balls I began building up my putting, chipping and then pitching. The putting green at my home course is good, the chipping green less so. That said, I have really been enjoying the time that I have spent chipping and pitching. I must admit that this is something that I have probably never been able to say before now. I tended to let the poor quality of the chipping green, the dodgy bounces and scrappy lies put me off and I used that as an excuse not to do it. Having not played for as long though and having needed to work on my chipping and pitching action which had gotten stuck between too much wrist hinge and no wrist hinge at all, concentrating on the action as opposed to the result has been a massive help. Added into all of that is that the short game has been pretty sharp. Who knew that spending time on it would have a positive impact?! I played last night after work and my playing partner who is a regular partner commented that my short game was good last night. Not something I have heard too often but in terms of positive reinforcement it was great. I will be back up at the club tonight with my wedges and practice Pro V’s if the thunder and lightening storm they are predicting manages to avoid us.

Just realising how long winded that all became. Sorry, I am just so pumped to be back playing and seeing some positive moves forward for the first time in so long.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Glad to hear you are able to play again! I broke a rib in high school... it sucked.
I have the fit for golf app... need to get back on it, but still having hip pain. Have physical therapy on Thursday, hopefully my hip starts feeling better.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Ha. I look forward to you switching putters again soon.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

That sounds like me! Got it for the promotional month at half price thought here we go and then I did my rib so I never really made the most of that promotional month. Barely had the motivation to look at it for fear of upsetting myself at the lack of golf haha.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

To quote one of my other favorite podcasts... "And we're back!"

I'm still in PT for my hip... did some light practice last week to prevent rust... it hurt. 

Hoping I can make some pain free swings soon. Getting old sucks.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

And finally we are back. Last week my best man in my wedding surprised me with an early wedding gift, a new scotty cameron special select fastback 1.5. This thing is gorgeous and it feels amazing. I will not be switching putters for a while now, but I did switch up some other things. I went to the claw grip on the putter because, as I put it to my friend, "my right hand is causing problems so it's grounded from holding the club." I also switched to the TP5 pix balls. I had tested the tp5 earlier in the year and it performed well, and I actually think this ball goes straighter than the prov1. 

Over the weekend I played the match play championship at my club and it went well. There was another scratch golfer in the tournament, but he had to cancel due to work, so the next best player was about a 3, which meant total domination by me. My first match on Saturday was the closest with a 4&3 win. The next match ended 5&4 and the championship match ended with a whopping 8&6 win. I made 2 bogeys all weekend and probably shot -5 or so over the whole tournament. I seem to play my best golf when there is no competition. I ended up switching back to the normal grip during the championship match and started to make a lot of putts. I really love this putter. 

Next week is a better ball open tournament at the same course and it's considered this course's main event. A couple good players from the area play and it will be a good to see if I can play my best with them there too. The revenge golf tour continues 

• Like 2

I had a couple of range sessions where I worked on segment 1 and 2 from Monte's Efficient Swing series. I flip and have EE, which Monte says is the result of something going wrong earlier in the swing.  People EE because that's the only way to hit the ball.  Those segments cover club parallel and left arm parallel. It already seems to be helping my driver. Saturday's round had a number of draws. prior to it I had been mostly hitting fades. The draws seem to go further as well. I will be staying with the left arm parallel for a bit since it's based on rotation and that's an area where I struggle.

• Like 2

Pulled my stats from the last 30 days. scoring average slightly up, yet HC slightly down, I guess playing some tougher courses did that? It was clearly the Par 3s that did me in as my shots jumped on those and stayed the same on par 4s and 5s. Good news is I got my putts down to 32.8 and my 3 putts per 18 under 1 at 0.83. Looks like I'll try to focus more on my iron shots the next month.

Will have to try to do it with little to no range time, due to football, hoping just sticking to the basics from my lessons will tide me over long enough to really work on it.

• Like 2

On Friday night I decided to change putter grips. So at 11pm I was removing the grip and putting on a superstroke. Long story short, it worked VERY well. Best putting weekend ever for me and we won the tournament by 5 after shooting 64 66. My game is solid right now, but I am getting married in less than 2 weeks, so I won't be playing a tournament until late September. Golf will be put on the backburner over the next month, so I don't think there will be much improvement on my end. Everyone else here will have to pick up my slack

• Like 1

played twice this weekend 99 / 91. Played alright the 99, just couldn't sink a mid range putt if my life depended on it. Add in a couple course management issues when I pressed myself due to not putting well.

Yesterday's round started great birdied the par 5 first and only had one double on the toughest hole of the course. Back nine was a grind. bogeyed the first four holes. The first two I was really happy with as I was in trouble and needed some big shots to even have a putt at par.Had two blow ups for triple to keep from from the 80s. Both unbelivably frustrating.

One on a par 5 with water right before the green. Decent drive, was smart and layed up to a full swing distance, and slightly fatted it into the water. Didn't want to repeat so the next shot was back fringe with a front pin placement. Mentally recovered and went bogey bogey par to still have a shot at the 80s.came to 18 with a bogey for 89. Absolutely crush a drive and 100 out and with the angle. Skull into the back bunker. The go across the green to the front bunker, then across the green into the rough, chip 2 putts and a triple ughhhh.

Overall, I am happy, my shots are forming a better pattern so I can better plan for the miss and keep the ball where I can still go for the green. Hoping to get another couple rounds this coming weekend. Game days start the following Saturday (football) and that will be a lost day for golfing.

@dmecca2 congratulations and hope you have a nice ceremony 

• Like 1

Well, turns out I was invited to a 3 day member guest tournament due to someone having to quarantine. I haven't played since last week and it showed. This morning was not my best golf. I struggled with my iron distance control and only had maybe 3 legitimate birdie opportunities. I had a span of 5 pitching wedges in a row where I didn't get a single one within 30 feet. 

Tomorrow looks like a rainout, but whenever I play again my strategy will be to get as many birdie putts as I can. 

played 3 rounds this weekend, including Friday.

Friday was nothing special, nothing bad ended up shooting around my handicap. Swing felt off all day but managed the course well Saturday had enough up and downs to remind me I am a high HC but also hungry because the game is there. Shot a 92 net 72 with 5 pars and a birdie, also had 3 triples. Sunday was an interesting round, got 18 in between some bad rain storms that caused zero roll-out on the fairways. pared the first two then 3 put bogeys on holes 3 and 4. Nothing good, or bad after that no more pars but no big numbers for me.

The good news is after this week football practice goes from 4 days to 3 days so I should be able to get back to the range once a week

Whelp, Deja Vu with the putter. This keeps happening and it's taking a toll on me mentally. Saturday I played well and collapsed coming in (+3 over last 4 holes) to shoot -2. Then Sunday happened and it has me mentally shook. I hit the ball well, 16 greens in regulation with 1 of those misses being 2 OB tee shots and I just picked up. But I had 36 putts (if I give myself a 2 putt on my X) and that's the part that kills me. I only had 1 one putt and I missed a less than 2 footer for my 3 putt. My distance control was great and thank the lord it was because I wouldn't have made a lot of difficult par putts. Late in the round I could feel my right hand getting active and I started to pull putts, but when I start missing my lines completely it's affect is brutal on the rest of my game. When I lose confidence in putting I don't hit my irons well because I know I'm not gonna make the putt. So now I don't know if I should try and switch putters again, or if this one is good enough to stick with it. Maybe I should switch to left hand low again... or armlock. Anything to make me more consistent ?

Thinking about becoming a club ho hahaha. have the Apex 19s, now before that was the Cobra S3s so maybe not that big of a ho, but have been contemplating something a little more forgiving. I loved being able to flight down shots with the 19s especially with some Florida winds, but maybe the trade off was too much. Of course I know it's the archer and not the arrow but for some reason my GIRs are down over the year while my FIRs are up.

If I do decide I will get a fitting, but I won't lie those JPX 921s give a tingly feeling down there ?

1 hour ago, Warrior42111 said:

If I do decide I will get a fitting, but I won't lie those JPX 921s give a tingly feeling down there ?

Sounds like me and my MacGregor Pro-Ms. Love playing them but went back to my M565s because as much as I like blades, they aren't forgiving and I probably have shafts that do not fit me in them. They were a used e-bay purchase many years ago.

• Like 1