905R -- V2 didn't quite work

sdbui2000

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know what you mean, it was tough for me to load the shaft with a smooth tempo, i went with the prolaunch cause my numbers were perfect. BIG MISTAKE, needless to say i ordered a couple shafts for the club and i will post about the combos. The firts one im going to try is the 905r 10.5 with a harrison striper tour 70 stiff and the im gonna try the new vs. The 905r needs toying with but i can already tell that with the right shaft it will quickly become bread and butter of anyones bag.

Best recommendation that I would make is getting fitted outdoors on a launch monitor where you can observe your ball flight and see the numbers as well. I got the 9.5 at first but after going through a Titleist fitting session I found out the best fit for me was the 10.5 with 75 V2 stiff. I am getting better ball speed and about 5-10 yards better carry distance now.

The best thing is that it was free and I got to try various lofts and shaft combos (YS-6, NV 65, Speeder, NVS, Prolaunch, and V2) to get the optimum launch, spin, and ball speed. The V2 was good for my quick tempo at top and helped me hit a controlled draw instead of a pull hook.

I hated the V2 in my 905R and switched to a Harrison Pro 2.5 70 gram, S/X flex. It's the best $70 I've spent on a shaft. I like it so much that I got the 80 gram version for my Adams Tour Prototype 3 wood. This shaft is the one Els was using a few weeks back. It's an electric blue color, but not as dark as the Grafalloy blue. Very smooth feel and great performance.

PM me if you're interested in where to buy one. Out of respect for the sponsors here, I won't list the web address in a post.

Good luck!

The 905R, 9.5 degree with NV65 S flex generated more than sufficient WOW factor for me as well. Tried the V2 and it lacked feel and was kind of "boardy". I can definitely feel the ball on the driver face with the NV and trajectory has been easily modified with tee height.

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

I have the 905r with a stiff V2. I tried the V2 and and the YS-6. The funny thing is that the YS-6 felt a lot better than the V2. However, i snap hooked about 80% of the shots with the YS-6. The V2 did not feel as good but was dead straight and about 15 yards longer than my 983k. After playing about 10 rounds with the 905R V2 I can honestly say that it is the best feeling driver (even better than my K) I have ever owned. Just took a little getting used to.

i have the V2 X-flex in my R and i love it. the only problem is that i still overswing the shaft. i need something that can keep up. i love the shaft and i've gotten great results but when i really go after it, which is pretty much everytime, its 50/50, either dea straight and deep or a big fadeand alittle shorter. i have the blueboard x-flex iin my 905T tour and it is a little more consistent. Im thinking about picking up at harrison or accuflex.

I hated the V2 in my 905R and switched to a Harrison Pro 2.5 70 gram, S/X flex. It's the best $70 I've spent on a shaft. I like it so much that I got the 80 gram version for my Adams Tour Prototype 3 wood. This shaft is the one Els was using a few weeks back. It's an electric blue color, but not as dark as the Grafalloy blue. Very smooth feel and great performance.

PM me if you're interested in where to buy one. Out of respect for the sponsors here, I won't list the web address in a post.

Good luck!

How does the 80 compare to the 70 in the 2.5 Harrison? I was fitted for an NV 85 S in my 905 S and I am not a huge fan of the NV shafts.

I would put a 2.5 Harrison 80 in the driver, but I have no experience with this shaft.

Tell me what you can and PM the website to me on where to get.

Thanks!!!

I was about to make this exact same post before I noticed this thread. I've played 7-8 rounds with my 905r 9.5* with a stiff V2, and I'm hitting it HORRIBLY. I have a 115-120 swing speed, and switched to the 905r from a 983k, which I hit for several years with a lot of success. The 983k was a 9.5* as well, with a stiff Grafalloy Prolite. I'm finding that I am much less accurate with the 905r-- I often pull it or lose it to the right with a wicked fade-- with no noticeable gain in distance.

I'm torn between dumping the club entirely, or reshafting with something that will make it playable. The fact that some of you eventually got used to it is encouraging, but I'm not sure how much longer I can tolerate it. I'm leaning towards sticking a redboard in it, but I'd love to hear of some less expensive alternatives that you guys have made work.

Thanks-- Curt

Hello,

I would suggest trying out the Grafalloy Comp NT Prototype in whichever flex you need. I put one of these in a SQ 8.5 and I have the perfect trajectory and I am carrying it about 290. I would suggest a stiff since you have the huge prepped hosel length or whatever term you wish to use for that which will make the shaft play slightly stiffer.

My swing flaw for me is a push to the right or a pull hook if i come too inside out. I found with this driver that it was a little straighter but after putting the NT prototype in my misses are a lot less pronounced. I might be swinging better but I attribute a lot of the accuracy to the shaft. I absolutely love it.

Next up is a reax rombus shaft from a TM TP

Good luck

I have 905R 9.5 w/V2 stiff.

Previously had a problem with drives that fading away at the end, but V2 cured that.

It feels stiffer than other stiff shafts because it has only 2.2 torque!

Was going to go with Fujikura but the rep recommanded V2 and I love it.

There is no WOW factor for me either but hey I enjoying the second shots on the middle of the fairways.

Best recommendation that I would make is getting fitted outdoors on a launch monitor where you can observe your ball flight and see the numbers as well. I got the 9.5 at first but after going through a Titleist fitting session I found out the best fit for me was the 10.5 with 75 V2 stiff. I am getting better ball speed and about 5-10 yards better carry distance now.

The best thing is that it was free and I got to try various lofts and shaft combos (YS-6, NV 65, Speeder, NVS, Prolaunch, and V2) to get the optimum launch, spin, and ball speed. The V2 was good for my quick tempo at top and helped me hit a controlled draw instead of a pull hook.

What are your specs Hungrymarine, swingspeed tempo etc.

I am looking at getting a 905r and have a problem pull hook with my current TM580xd. my swingspeed is high 80s-90mph, and tend to have a quick transition from the top. the 580 has a stock reg flex shaft so I might go for a refit on this before buying the 905 as shaft replacements will be difficult in the UK.