Dispute: Oakley Polarized Lenses

kevch25

Please weigh in
I purchased a pair of Oakley Flak Jackets on this board from another member under the description of the sunglasses being Polarized. I have owned three polarized Oakley's in the past and they have all had the "Polarized" etched into the bottom of the left lense.

The sunglasses that the member shipped to me does not have the "Polarized" etched in the lense nor does it pass some of the simple tests to see if they are polarized (i.e. blacking out a computer screen at certain angles, etc).

If he does not believe my statement that all polarized oakleys are etched with the "polarized" lettering, can others please chime in so he can see that I do not have "buyer's remorse" as he is claiming?

Thanks.

TM SIM Max 9* Oban Kiyoshi Purple
TM SIM Ti 15* Oban Kiyoshi Purple

TM SIM Max 19* 

Srixon ZX5/7 combo 4-AW

Fourteen 54*

Titleist SM6 58*

Evnroll ER2

[quote name='wheeler' post='1990756' date='Oct 6 2009, 01:59 PM']All oakley polarized lenses that I've seen (including the ones I use in my flak jackets) have "polarized" etched in the left lens. Sounds like the seller needs to make this right by you--either take them back or offer you money off the purchase price...[/quote]

I have the polarized lens in my Flaks and it does indeed say "polarized" in the bottom left.

Sticky situation.

I just went to Oakley's website. Looks like the Flak Jacket is available in both regular and polarized lenses (at a $45 premium).

Looks to me from the photos that the polarized models do indeed have the word "polarized" clearly etched onto the lower left of the left lens.

Side note: I think I've read polarized lenses aren't so good for golf. Don't wear sunglasses, so I wouldn't know from experience, though.

From Oakley.com:
Regular Flak Jacket
[attachment=475291:flak.jpg]

Polarized Flak Jacket (etching on lens is clear)
[attachment=475290:flakpolarized.jpg]

Call Oakley. (800) 403-7449

Personally I have never seen Oakley Polarized Lenses that were not laser etched. It could also be easy to tell as many of the lens tint were never offered in Polarized.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Thanks everyone! I will forward the seller to this thread and hopefully we can resolve it quickly. So far, this issue has been lingering for about 2-3 weeks.

TM SIM Max 19* 

Srixon ZX5/7 combo 4-AW

Fourteen 54*

Titleist SM6 58*

Evnroll ER2

Just phoned a friend who used to own/operate a glasses shop (that carried numerous brands of sunglasses) and he had never seen a pair of polarized oakley's without the laser etching. He also reiterated the quick test one can do to prove they are polarized (he suggested a computer monitor but same as an LCD TV). I just tried it with my non-polarized oakley's and my polarized lenses and you definitely can tell the difference in how the screen looks.

Ken

Hmm...Today the bag will be...<br /><br />Cobra F9 or Ping 400 LST<br /><br />F9 w/ HZRD Yellow or 16* 3446-f-Matrix 8M2<br /><br />Cobra Baffler w/ HZRD<br /><br />Machine M2A Long Neck SS Copper Insert Hand Peened<br /><br />Mizuno MP-55 & MP-5 w/ SF 110 CW<br /><br />SRIXON 765/965 5-PW w SF i95 Stiff

Yes, the seller is me and yes I told him they were polarized cause I was told they were by the Oakley rep.

And yes, because I was told they were polarized, I expressed concern in one of my intitial PM's that it seemed like he might be having buyers remorse because I had been told by Oakley they were polarized.

And so I told Kevin that I would double check with the Oakley rep that I dealt with to double check, and that if it turned out that I was mis informed I would of course refund him in full 100%.

But when I contacted the rep, he told me only polarized lenses had been put out that day, but that he would double check that non-polarized were put out and that maybe I had gotten a pair. I still haven't heard back from him.

All I was doing was checking the facts, that's all. And I've kept him in the loop with EVERYTHING that's happened and what I was doing. Even after I hadn't talked with him in a few days, I PM'd him to let him know I had not forgotten about him, TRYING to let him know I wasn't going anywhere until resolved.

Sounds logical to me.

And just for the record, you can custom order Oakleys, and if you so choose, you can have them custom laser etched. My polarized lenses are etched with my name. I could have just as easily opted for no etching, which would have given me polarized lenses with no etching....so it IS technically possible.

[quote name='sosinsurr' post='1991562' date='Oct 6 2009, 09:14 PM']Yes, the seller is me and yes I told him they were polarized cause I was told they were by the Oakley rep.

And yes, because I was told they were polarized, I expressed concern in one of my intitial PM's that it seemed like he might be having buyers remorse because I had been told by Oakley they were polarized.

And so I told Kevin that I would double check with the Oakley rep that I dealt with to double check, and that if it turned out that I was mis informed I would of course refund him in full 100%.

But when I contacted the rep, he told me only polarized lenses had been put out that day, but that he would double check that non-polarized were put out and that maybe I had gotten a pair. I still haven't heard back from him.

All I was doing was checking the facts, that's all. And I've kept him in the loop with EVERYTHING that's happened and what I was doing. Even after I hadn't talked with him in a few days, I PM'd him to let him know I had not forgotten about him, TRYING to let him know I wasn't going anywhere until resolved.[/quote]

I agree you have tried to keep me in the loop on things, but I also must say it has been a pretty long process without any resolution from your rep yet either. I first PM'ed you when I received them about this fact on September 16th. My request is to return these Oakleys to you for a full refund and you can then work it out with your rep. They are not polarized in my book just by the simple tests I am able to do with them at home.

TM SIM Max 19* 

Srixon ZX5/7 combo 4-AW

Fourteen 54*

Titleist SM6 58*

Evnroll ER2

i guess it is possible, but the buyer did state that the sunglasses failed the polarized tests. im sure it was just an honest mistake on the sellers part, but i think if the buyer wanted polarized lenses he should get a refund since they are not polarized.
btw, soinsurr, what happened to your other avatar? i always loved lookin at that one :clapping:

[quote name='mrb' post='1992081' date='Oct 7 2009, 08:58 AM']Sounds logical to me.

And just for the record, you can custom order Oakleys, and if you so choose, you can have them custom laser etched. My polarized lenses are etched with my name. I could have just as easily opted for no etching, which would have given me polarized lenses with no etching....so it IS technically possible.[/quote]

I just tried to do it through their Custom Order site and for polarized lenses you must either have custom etching or "POLARIZED" etched on the lens it can not be left blank.

I still don't see why the OP has not [b]called Oakley to verify[/b]. Give them the 5 digit model number from inside the earstem xx-xxx or describe the frame color and lens color and if it was a stock model they can tell you if that combination was ever offered in polarized.

I am guessing you didn't get the original packaging?

How can a rep tell you anything if he can't see the glasses or know what exact color combo you sold?

If the frames and lenses were mixed up or if it was a Custom order, it must have etching of some sort to be a polarized lens.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

the seller already said he was willing to refund the money. i think its just a matter of following through now.

and yeah sosinsurr, what happended to your other avatar?

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

Seller is needlessly delaying the resolution. The glasses have been proven to be not polarized and what some rep says was out on a table a few weeks ago is meaningless to the transaction at hand. I don't understand the hesitation to accept a return especially w the minimal shipping costs involved.

those are pretty clear photos on the listing and they clearly do not have polarized etched on the lens nor is polarized in the ad. Kev was looking for a super deal and now creating a hassle with seller for seller giving bad info on a on a pm. Kev wanted something that was not advertised. If seller had just said he did not know, then no problems.

I find it problematic that kev was looking for something that was not illustrated in the photos or ad and is now complaining that they are not as described. I put more fault on the buyer than seller.

If it does not say polarized they are not polarized. I have owned several pairs of oakleys all polarized and they are are etched. Seller needs to step up and issue a refund now. If stated they were polarized in a PM then the buyer thought he was buying polarized sunglasses; no matter what the listing showed in pictures.

Current Gear:
Big Bertha 10.5 w/ Fubuki ZT, XHot 3w
Taylormade Burner 3H, 4H
Cobra Baffler 5H, 6H
Callaway X2 Hot 7-PW w/ Project X
Callaway Jaws 52, 58, 62

[quote name='stp' post='1992469' date='Oct 7 2009, 12:53 PM']those are pretty clear photos on the listing and they clearly do not have polarized etched on the lens nor is polarized in the ad. Kev was looking for a super deal and now creating a hassle with seller for seller giving bad info on a on a pm. Kev wanted something that was not advertised. If seller had just said he did not know, then no problems.

I find it problematic that kev was looking for something that was not illustrated in the photos or ad and is now complaining that they are not as described. I put more fault on the buyer than seller.[/quote]

Too many unknowns to determine fault IMO, e.g. if the seller had said 'the rep I got them from says they're polarized but I don't know for sure' would the buyer have completed the transaction? Would the seller have charged more if they knew they were polarized?

[quote name='stp' post='1992469' date='Oct 7 2009, 09:53 AM']those are pretty clear photos on the listing and they clearly do not have polarized etched on the lens nor is polarized in the ad. Kev was looking for a super deal and now creating a hassle with seller for seller giving bad info on a on a pm. Kev wanted something that was not advertised. If seller had just said he did not know, then no problems.

I find it problematic that kev was looking for something that was not illustrated in the photos or ad and is now complaining that they are not as described. I put more fault on the buyer than seller.[/quote]

+1.. if this is how it went down... sorry buyer you are wrong.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

[quote]QUOTE (stp @ Oct 7 2009, 12:53 PM) *
those are pretty clear photos on the listing and they clearly do not have polarized etched on the lens nor is polarized in the ad. Kev was looking for a super deal and now creating a hassle with seller for seller giving bad info on a on a pm. Kev wanted something that was not advertised. If seller had just said he did not know, then no problems.

It was a mistake. No one is 'at fault' here. Buyer asked if they were polarized, and Seller believed they were (based on his information), but that is apparently not the case.

Your conclusion is... hard to agree with... For instance, if I sell you a putter and I tell you in a PM that it is 35" long, and you buy it and discover it to be only 34", would it be your fault for believing me?

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

[quote]QUOTE (stp @ Oct 7 2009, 09:53 AM) *

I find it problematic that kev was looking for something that was not illustrated in the photos or ad and is now complaining that they are not as described. I put more fault on the buyer than seller.

+1.. if this is how it went down... sorry buyer you are wrong.[/quote]

-1 Read what the seller said [quote]Yes, the seller is me and yes I told him they were polarized cause I was told they were by the Oakley rep.[/quote]

How exactly is the buyer wrong?

He asked a specific question and got a specific (but apparently incorrect answer). The first question I would ask about sun glasses is "Are they polarized?" I mean, come on!

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

[quote name='Pondude' post='1993510' date='Oct 7 2009, 06:36 PM'][quote]QUOTE (stp @ Oct 7 2009, 12:53 PM) *

It was a mistake. No one is 'at fault' here. Buyer asked if they were polarized, and Seller believed they were (based on his information), but that is apparently not the case.

Your conclusion is... hard to agree with... For instance, if I sell you a putter and I tell you in a PM that it is 35" long, and you buy it and discover it to be only 34", would it be your fault for believing me?
[/quote]

I said "if"..

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven