Does your (Private) course allow "Mock Turtlenecks"?

Sam-Tee-TimeSam-Tee-Time Members Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
my course is attempting to outlaw T-shirts
My home course (private) is cracking down on dress codes, and recently sent correspondence indicating they are "outlawing T-shirts". I think they mean generic T-shirts and wifebeaters, but I HOPE they do not mean the "Mock turtlenecks" so popular these days.

? - does your home course also have dress codes?

? - What is the consensus of "Mock T-shirts"? Do they look crappy to you, or acceptable golf attire?

Just curious to what everyone else is seeing at their clubs. Certain things are definitely out of place (Wifebeater T's, blue jeans, etc. etc.), while other things are perfectly nice golf attire (Some cargo shorts, MOck T's, etc.).

65457.jpg

Comments

• mantismikemantismike Members Posts: 84
    The Courses that I have worked at have both allowed the Mock neck shirts. Our dress code require golf shirts( Collared or Mocks), Pants or bermuda shorts, and all shirts must be tucked in. I believe that how your members dress to play is a direct reflection on your course.
  • slicer365slicer365 Members Posts: 1,750
    If friggin Tiger Woods can wear a mock turtle neck to the Master's, then your club needs to check itself. Mock turtlenecks are expensive.
  • Peter584Peter584 Members Posts: 34
    If you have ever seen someone at your club playing in a tshirt, I would think that's what they're talking about.
  • MCCAMCCA Members Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    There is nothing wrong with wearing Mock Turtlenecks all the pros did it back in the day Gary Player ,Ben Hogen Jack and others. They tried to vote in that this past winter & it was shot down because the President of my clubs Love's them.

mcca
  • Sam-Tee-TimeSam-Tee-Time Members Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    What I find ironic about my home course is that they are trying very hard to make it "upscale",and professional, building a very high-class golf club that people are proud of. However - there are other things I think they should focus on, just as much as the dress code and T-shirts...............

* Lack of Etiquette - I cannot count how many times I see people shouting and yelling, and whooping it up on the teeboxes and greens, distracting other players on the teeboxes or greens. While it doesn't need to be quiet as church, it's shameful to watch some of these guys and their behavior. image/yahoo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

* Drinking - I've seen many members urinate in the bushes off the greens or teeboxes, stumble over drunk over the teebox markers, or other obstacles, and even watching some guys puke in the bathrooms or on the course somewhere. image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

* S*Xual overtones - It's embarrasing to watch some members and their behavior around the cart/beverage girls. These are young ladies in high school or college, and some of these members talk to them as if they're in a Brothel in Tijuana or somewhere. Shameful. image/diablo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beee:' />

* "Bubba" factor - We have a lot of Texas "good ol' boys" drinking and gambling it up all over the course and clubhouse. While some of these guys are super-friendly and nice people, our club has always catered to these folks, and encourages the gambling, carousing, and roughhousing. Listening to our locker room sounds like Friday night down at the country western bar. Now they want to straighten up and be demure? It doesn't compute.

* Events - Our events are comparable to a Friday night at a Fraternity house. The scrambles and tournaments are so sufferingly overbore, I can't stand to play in them. There's something about getting stinking drunk, and listening to a bunch of morons yelling at each other when they lose/win holes that doesn't appeal to me. I also don't tend to participate in slamming whiskeys, beer, and losing hundred$ of dollar$ gambling afterward.

So....................there are other factors in play here. Part of the problems above are due to the fact that my club is one of the most affordable private clubs in the area, and there are a lot more people of all demographics able to join. I'm just curious if the rest of you have these issues at your club.
  • MCCAMCCA Members Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    To answer your question.

Drinking Yes

Lack Of Etiquette (Sometimes depends on which Member brings a guest)

S*Xual overtones not too much since their are more woman visible( i.e wissing behind tree's)

That's mostly it most of which are guests not all the members which can be controlled.

mcca
  • GooseGoose Junior Mod Squad Posts: 1,270 ✭✭
    My club is very up to date with the trends. We have many D.I college players and top flight junior golfers who stay up on the fashions so the club adapts as fashion evolves. We also have a Nationwide tour player that has played out of my club since he was a little kid, he stays up on the fashions as well. So i would say most likely your course reall means T-shirts if they are saying T-shirts bc everyone knows what a mock neck is.

GoOsE image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2
  • bd8802bd8802 Crescent Fresh Members Posts: 495
    My club allows mock turtlenecks. It is considered the same as a traditional polo in their minds.
    Titleist 915D3 | Rogue Black 70
    Titleist 915F | Rogue Black 80
    Titleist 915H | Diamana D+ 90
    Mizuno MP-53 | KBS Tour S
    Cleveland RTX | DG S200
    Taylor Made Ghost Spider
  • bd8802bd8802 Crescent Fresh Members Posts: 495
    If all the things you said are true. The cart girls allow overt harrasment, there are fights in the locker room, people drink enough to vomit on the course, and there is tons of gambling going on ... man ... this might be the most fun private club in the world.

Let me temper that with the fact that the club I joined has almost no social aspect to it. There are some of us that are trying to change that, but it is a slow process.

If our clubs could both meet in the middle, it would be perfect. Your's seems a little over the top -- but hella fun, and mine is way to passive -- but the golf is great.
    Titleist 915D3 | Rogue Black 70
    Titleist 915F | Rogue Black 80
    Titleist 915H | Diamana D+ 90
    Mizuno MP-53 | KBS Tour S
    Cleveland RTX | DG S200
    Taylor Made Ghost Spider
  • bk4bk4 Members Posts: 868
    I actually do not know if my club allows mock necks, because I've never seen anybody wear one there. They don't sell them though. They recently put out newer dress code regulations, and now, all golfers must wear socks, and men's shorts can't be too short, which I found amusing. As I read it, I believe cargo shorts are not allowed.

On a side note, it doesn't matter how much something costs as to whether it should be allowed at a private club. My blue jeans cost more than any pair of chinos I have, but they aren't allowed on club premisis.
  • phillypetephillypete Members Posts: 1,447
    your club forces you to wear socks... that is a little weird.

I have never been offended or even noticed if someone else was or wasn't wearing socks.

I usually wear those super low socks with shorts... it looks odd otherwise.

And what about women... they go sockless a lot.
  • LegacyUserLegacyUser Guests Posts: 0
    I've worked at a course that would only allow the mock collar if it was long sleeved. No short sleeved mocks allowed. I thought that was a little strange.
  • GolfchicagoGolfchicago Charter Members Posts: 2,944
    I play a lot of courses in the Chicago area, public and orivate. i don't know of a single one that doesn't allow mock turtles.
  • Yellow JacketYellow Jacket Members Posts: 3,533
    phillypete wrote on May 9 2006, 09&#58;17 PM:

And what about women... they go sockless a lot.

Maybe with pumps, but not with golf shoes image/blink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy 70TX
    915F 15* Diamana D+PLUS 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic 90TX
    716MB 4-PW X100
    SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
    Bullseye Flange
    WITB Link
  • roper1313roper1313 Members Posts: 127
    edited May 24, 2006 #16
    My club allows mocks, I believe that our club's dress code is "golf appropriate attire". It's pretty broad, but I haven't seen anyone stretch the boundaries. The one ironic thing with my club is that the dinning room allows jeans, but the golf course does not. image/fool.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • NikeTaylormade891NikeTaylormade891 Members Posts: 880
    slicer365 wrote on May 9 2006, 02&#58;34 PM:

If friggin Tiger Woods can wear a mock turtle neck to the Master's, then your club needs to check itself. Mock turtlenecks are expensive.

Yea if Tiger can, they should let you
  • TheBUNKYTheBUNKY twitter.com/TheBUNKY_1974 Members Posts: 1,067
    edited May 25, 2006 #18
    NikeTaylormade891 wrote on May 24 2006, 05&#58;29 PM:

Yep! They're ok at my club and this is also my philosphy if I play elsewhere and I get any static. If TW can wear them on TOUR, I should be able to wear them anywhere.

Besides my club sells them in the pro shop. Nice Callaway and Ashworth ones, but I usually wait until the Fall to get them at half price image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> I'm such a freakin' cheapskate.
  • Yellow JacketYellow Jacket Members Posts: 3,533
    TheBUNKY wrote on May 25 2006, 12&#58;02 AM:

NikeTaylormade891 wrote on May 24 2006, 05&#58;29 PM:

Yep! They're ok at my club and this is also my philosphy if I play elsewhere and I get any static. If TW can wear them on TOUR, I should be able to wear them anywhere.

Besides my club sells them in the pro shop. Nice Callaway and Ashworth ones, but I usually wait until the Fall to get them at half price image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> I'm such a freakin' cheapskate.

Hey, I bought an Izod mock neck and collared shirt at a golf expo for $15 each. I also bought $60 adidas Climacool shirts for $20 at an outlet.
    915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy 70TX
    915F 15* Diamana D+PLUS 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic 90TX
    716MB 4-PW X100
    SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
    Bullseye Flange
    WITB Link
  • golfernut78golfernut78 BOOMER SOONER Members Posts: 3,448
    Sam-Tee-Time wrote on May 9 2006, 02&#58;14 PM:

What I find ironic about my home course is that they are trying very hard to make it "upscale",and professional, building a very high-class golf club that people are proud of. However - there are other things I think they should focus on, just as much as the dress code and T-shirts...............

* Lack of Etiquette - I cannot count how many times I see people shouting and yelling, and whooping it up on the teeboxes and greens, distracting other players on the teeboxes or greens. While it doesn't need to be quiet as church, it's shameful to watch some of these guys and their behavior. image/yahoo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':crazy:' />

* Drinking - I've seen many members urinate in the bushes off the greens or teeboxes, stumble over drunk over the teebox markers, or other obstacles, and even watching some guys puke in the bathrooms or on the course somewhere. image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

* S*Xual overtones - It's embarrasing to watch some members and their behavior around the cart/beverage girls. These are young ladies in high school or college, and some of these members talk to them as if they're in a Brothel in Tijuana or somewhere. Shameful. image/diablo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':crazy2:' />

* "Bubba" factor - We have a lot of Texas "good ol' boys" drinking and gambling it up all over the course and clubhouse. While some of these guys are super-friendly and nice people, our club has always catered to these folks, and encourages the gambling, carousing, and roughhousing. Listening to our locker room sounds like Friday night down at the country western bar. Now they want to straighten up and be demure? It doesn't compute.

* Events - Our events are comparable to a Friday night at a Fraternity house. The scrambles and tournaments are so sufferingly overbore, I can't stand to play in them. There's something about getting stinking drunk, and listening to a bunch of morons yelling at each other when they lose/win holes that doesn't appeal to me. I also don't tend to participate in slamming whiskeys, beer, and losing hundred$ of dollar$ gambling afterward.

So....................there are other factors in play here. Part of the problems above are due to the fact that my club is one of the most affordable private clubs in the area, and there are a lot more people of all demographics able to join. I'm just curious if the rest of you have these issues at your club.

sam,

your not alone on this. i design country clubs for a living and my boss has been doing this for over 30 years and you would be suprised of the stories i can tell you and more so he can tell you. there are clubs that remind me of my fraternity house, and some clubs, thats what it is, a fraternity house for 30 - 60 year olds. on top of that, you throw in the good ole texas boy factor and it can get raunchy. it's interesting to see how different clubs operate and the makeup of members through out the country and in some places different sides of the city. i will say there is a change going on. many of the projects we do now include a lot of family oriented themes, but the men's grille or men's card room is a must have with these family clubs.

as for the mock neck, that seems a bit much. they are a collared shirt, that are clean looking. they look sharp with a sports coat. as a member of a private club, you have a say. you get people against, you can get it thrown out.
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]scotty cameron newport beach[/font]
  • karjarkarjar Members Posts: 219 ✭✭
    I always find it interesting to have "dress codes" to instill an image, yet golf is one of the only sports I know of, that encourages drinking while playing the sport. Can just imagine a "beer cart" wandering through a soccer field, a tennis court, a baseball or football field. This is probably why golf is still viewed by some as NOT a sport at all, hence why curling can be in the Olympics, but not Golf. Never seen a beer cart on a curling rink either. I think courses would be better served to display an image of sport, and then I woulddn't have to pick up empty cans as I golf, because the guys riding in the cart, can't keep them there until the next tee box and garbage can. Never had to pick up a T-shirt.

my .02 cents
  • roper1313roper1313 Members Posts: 127
    karjar wrote on May 25 2006, 09&#58;02 PM:

I always find it interesting to have "dress codes" to instill an image, yet golf is one of the only sports I know of, that encourages drinking while playing the sport. Can just imagine a "beer cart" wandering through a soccer field, a tennis court, a baseball or football field. This is probably why golf is still viewed by some as NOT a sport at all, hence why curling can be in the Olympics, but not Golf. Never seen a beer cart on a curling rink either. I think courses would be better served to display an image of sport, and then I woulddn't have to pick up empty cans as I golf, because the guys riding in the cart, can't keep them there until the next tee box and garbage can. Never had to pick up a T-shirt.

my .02 cents

One of the top curling clubs in the country Duluth, MN Curling Club has a bar right in the rink. Plenty of drinking going ot there. image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • karjarkarjar Members Posts: 219 ✭✭
    That would make standing up even more fun on ice!.

But really, everyone's choice. I just don't see where sport and drugs (yes Alchohol is a mood inducing drug), should ideally go together.
  • LegacyUserLegacyUser Guests Posts: 0

If friggin Tiger Woods can wear a mock turtle neck to the Master's, then your club needs to check itself.

Agreed 100% My club allows them too.
    I honestly think people wear them only because Tiger Woods does. If memory serves, people only laughed at David Duval when he first started wearing them, well before anybody else.
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members Posts: 6,800
    bk4 wrote on May 30 2006, 12&#58;28 PM:

I honestly think people wear them only because Tiger Woods does. If memory serves, people only laughed at David Duval when he first started wearing them, well before anybody else.

My club (in DFW) allows mocks.

Weren't Duval's first mocks sort of body clinging? I thought they were cool but tight if memory serves correctly.
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • littleprov1xlittleprov1x Members Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    My private club allows them, but I don't wear them that often. The best was when I was three years ago when I was about 15, I was at this local nine holer near my summer house and I showed up with my cousin wearing a mock. As we were about to tee off the pro came out and told me that I wouldn't be able to play again if I wore a T-shirt. I just couldn't believe that at a course like that I was told not to wear a mock.
  • HanzbrixHanzbrix Cabarrus Country Club Members Posts: 121 ClubWRX
    karjar wrote on May 25 2006, 10&#58;02 PM:

my .02 cents

This is a little off topic, but I really think you picked a poor sport to make your point with. I had friends who played on the US National team, they would fill their flasks and then empty them during games. Granted I only tried curling a couple of times, but in my experience it's more about the drinking than anything else. I always likened it to darts. A fun game designed to be played in a bar.
  • bert-bbert-b Members Posts: 133
    My course does require a collared shirt, no denim, and no t-shirts. Mock turtlenecks are acceptable. However, there are some "mocks" that have a shorter collar and look like a t-shirt. The head professional told me that as long as it wasn't really a t-shirt it was acceptable....

Thanks,

Bert-B
    I responded to this earlier, but new rules have been posted at my club. The only way you can wear a mock tee is if it is long sleeved. Cargo pants and shorts are also now banned.
  • greyman09greyman09 Members Posts: 622 ✭✭
    I dont wear them, but my private club allows them.