2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Does your (Private) course allow "Mock Turtlenecks"?

my course is attempting to outlaw T-shirts
My home course (private) is cracking down on dress codes, and recently sent correspondence indicating they are "outlawing T-shirts". I think they mean generic T-shirts and wifebeaters, but I HOPE they do not mean the "Mock turtlenecks" so popular these days.

? - does your home course also have dress codes?
? - What is the consensus of "Mock T-shirts"? Do they look crappy to you, or acceptable golf attire?

Just curious to what everyone else is seeing at their clubs. Certain things are definitely out of place (Wifebeater T's, blue jeans, etc. etc.), while other things are perfectly nice golf attire (Some cargo shorts, MOck T's, etc.).

65457.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Courses that I have worked at have both allowed the Mock neck shirts. Our dress code require golf shirts( Collared or Mocks), Pants or bermuda shorts, and all shirts must be tucked in. I believe that how your members dress to play is a direct reflection on your course.

Driver:  Titleist TSi2 9* Ventus Black 6S

3 Wood: Titleist TSi2 15* Speeder 757 Evo II S

Utility: Titleist T-200 3 Iron Ventus Blue HB 8 S

Irons: Titleist 620CB w/ DGTI X100 4-6

Irons: Titleist 620MB w/ DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM9 50/8F, 56/10S, 60/4T

Putter: Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+ 34"

Ball: Pro V1

What I find ironic about my home course is that they are trying very hard to make it "upscale",and professional, building a very high-class golf club that people are proud of. However - there are other things I think they should focus on, just as much as the dress code and T-shirts...............

* Lack of Etiquette - I cannot count how many times I see people shouting and yelling, and whooping it up on the teeboxes and greens, distracting other players on the teeboxes or greens. While it doesn't need to be quiet as church, it's shameful to watch some of these guys and their behavior. :)

* Drinking - I've seen many members urinate in the bushes off the greens or teeboxes, stumble over drunk over the teebox markers, or other obstacles, and even watching some guys puke in the bathrooms or on the course somewhere. :)

* S*Xual overtones - It's embarrasing to watch some members and their behavior around the cart/beverage girls. These are young ladies in high school or college, and some of these members talk to them as if they're in a Brothel in Tijuana or somewhere. Shameful. :beee:

* "Bubba" factor - We have a lot of Texas "good ol' boys" drinking and gambling it up all over the course and clubhouse. While some of these guys are super-friendly and nice people, our club has always catered to these folks, and encourages the gambling, carousing, and roughhousing. Listening to our locker room sounds like Friday night down at the country western bar. Now they want to straighten up and be demure? It doesn't compute.

* Events - Our events are comparable to a Friday night at a Fraternity house. The scrambles and tournaments are so sufferingly overbore, I can't stand to play in them. There's something about getting stinking drunk, and listening to a bunch of morons yelling at each other when they lose/win holes that doesn't appeal to me. I also don't tend to participate in slamming whiskeys, beer, and losing hundred$ of dollar$ gambling afterward.

So....................there are other factors in play here. Part of the problems above are due to the fact that my club is one of the most affordable private clubs in the area, and there are a lot more people of all demographics able to join. I'm just curious if the rest of you have these issues at your club.

My club is very up to date with the trends. We have many D.I college players and top flight junior golfers who stay up on the fashions so the club adapts as fashion evolves. We also have a Nationwide tour player that has played out of my club since he was a little kid, he stays up on the fashions as well. So i would say most likely your course reall means T-shirts if they are saying T-shirts bc everyone knows what a mock neck is.

GoOsE :)

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

If all the things you said are true. The cart girls allow overt harrasment, there are fights in the locker room, people drink enough to vomit on the course, and there is tons of gambling going on ... man ... this might be the most fun private club in the world.

Let me temper that with the fact that the club I joined has almost no social aspect to it. There are some of us that are trying to change that, but it is a slow process.

If our clubs could both meet in the middle, it would be perfect. Your's seems a little over the top -- but hella fun, and mine is way to passive -- but the golf is great.

Titleist 915D3 | Rogue Black 70
Titleist 915F | Rogue Black 80
Titleist 915H | Diamana D+ 90
Mizuno MP-53 | KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX | DG S200
Taylor Made Ghost Spider

I actually do not know if my club allows mock necks, because I've never seen anybody wear one there. They don't sell them though. They recently put out newer dress code regulations, and now, all golfers must wear socks, and men's shorts can't be too short, which I found amusing. As I read it, I believe cargo shorts are not allowed.

On a side note, it doesn't matter how much something costs as to whether it should be allowed at a private club. My blue jeans cost more than any pair of chinos I have, but they aren't allowed on club premisis.

• 2 weeks later...

If friggin Tiger Woods can wear a mock turtle neck to the Master's, then your club needs to check itself. Mock turtlenecks are expensive.

Yea if Tiger can, they should let you

Yep! They're ok at my club and this is also my philosphy if I play elsewhere and I get any static. If TW can wear them on TOUR, I should be able to wear them anywhere.

Besides my club sells them in the pro shop. Nice Callaway and Ashworth ones, but I usually wait until the Fall to get them at half price ;) I'm such a freakin' cheapskate.

If friggin Tiger Woods can wear a mock turtle neck to the Master's, then your club needs to check itself. Mock turtlenecks are expensive.

Yea if Tiger can, they should let you

Yep! They're ok at my club and this is also my philosphy if I play elsewhere and I get any static. If TW can wear them on TOUR, I should be able to wear them anywhere.

Besides my club sells them in the pro shop. Nice Callaway and Ashworth ones, but I usually wait until the Fall to get them at half price ;) I'm such a freakin' cheapskate.

Hey, I bought an Izod mock neck and collared shirt at a golf expo for $15 each. I also bought $60 adidas Climacool shirts for $20 at an outlet.

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

What I find ironic about my home course is that they are trying very hard to make it "upscale",and professional, building a very high-class golf club that people are proud of. However - there are other things I think they should focus on, just as much as the dress code and T-shirts...............

* Lack of Etiquette - I cannot count how many times I see people shouting and yelling, and whooping it up on the teeboxes and greens, distracting other players on the teeboxes or greens. While it doesn't need to be quiet as church, it's shameful to watch some of these guys and their behavior. :crazy:

* Drinking - I've seen many members urinate in the bushes off the greens or teeboxes, stumble over drunk over the teebox markers, or other obstacles, and even watching some guys puke in the bathrooms or on the course somewhere. ;)

* S*Xual overtones - It's embarrasing to watch some members and their behavior around the cart/beverage girls. These are young ladies in high school or college, and some of these members talk to them as if they're in a Brothel in Tijuana or somewhere. Shameful. :crazy2:

* "Bubba" factor - We have a lot of Texas "good ol' boys" drinking and gambling it up all over the course and clubhouse. While some of these guys are super-friendly and nice people, our club has always catered to these folks, and encourages the gambling, carousing, and roughhousing. Listening to our locker room sounds like Friday night down at the country western bar. Now they want to straighten up and be demure? It doesn't compute.

* Events - Our events are comparable to a Friday night at a Fraternity house. The scrambles and tournaments are so sufferingly overbore, I can't stand to play in them. There's something about getting stinking drunk, and listening to a bunch of morons yelling at each other when they lose/win holes that doesn't appeal to me. I also don't tend to participate in slamming whiskeys, beer, and losing hundred$ of dollar$ gambling afterward.

So....................there are other factors in play here. Part of the problems above are due to the fact that my club is one of the most affordable private clubs in the area, and there are a lot more people of all demographics able to join. I'm just curious if the rest of you have these issues at your club.

sam,

your not alone on this. i design country clubs for a living and my boss has been doing this for over 30 years and you would be suprised of the stories i can tell you and more so he can tell you. there are clubs that remind me of my fraternity house, and some clubs, thats what it is, a fraternity house for 30 - 60 year olds. on top of that, you throw in the good ole texas boy factor and it can get raunchy. it's interesting to see how different clubs operate and the makeup of members through out the country and in some places different sides of the city. i will say there is a change going on. many of the projects we do now include a lot of family oriented themes, but the men's grille or men's card room is a must have with these family clubs.

as for the mock neck, that seems a bit much. they are a collared shirt, that are clean looking. they look sharp with a sports coat. as a member of a private club, you have a say. you get people against, you can get it thrown out.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

I always find it interesting to have "dress codes" to instill an image, yet golf is one of the only sports I know of, that encourages drinking while playing the sport. Can just imagine a "beer cart" wandering through a soccer field, a tennis court, a baseball or football field. This is probably why golf is still viewed by some as NOT a sport at all, hence why curling can be in the Olympics, but not Golf. Never seen a beer cart on a curling rink either. I think courses would be better served to display an image of sport, and then I woulddn't have to pick up empty cans as I golf, because the guys riding in the cart, can't keep them there until the next tee box and garbage can. Never had to pick up a T-shirt.

my .02 cents

I always find it interesting to have "dress codes" to instill an image, yet golf is one of the only sports I know of, that encourages drinking while playing the sport. Can just imagine a "beer cart" wandering through a soccer field, a tennis court, a baseball or football field. This is probably why golf is still viewed by some as NOT a sport at all, hence why curling can be in the Olympics, but not Golf. Never seen a beer cart on a curling rink either. I think courses would be better served to display an image of sport, and then I woulddn't have to pick up empty cans as I golf, because the guys riding in the cart, can't keep them there until the next tee box and garbage can. Never had to pick up a T-shirt.

my .02 cents

One of the top curling clubs in the country Duluth, MN Curling Club has a bar right in the rink. Plenty of drinking going ot there. ;)

I honestly think people wear them only because Tiger Woods does. If memory serves, people only laughed at David Duval when he first started wearing them, well before anybody else.

My club (in DFW) allows mocks.

Weren't Duval's first mocks sort of body clinging? I thought they were cool but tight if memory serves correctly.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

My private club allows them, but I don't wear them that often. The best was when I was three years ago when I was about 15, I was at this local nine holer near my summer house and I showed up with my cousin wearing a mock. As we were about to tee off the pro came out and told me that I wouldn't be able to play again if I wore a T-shirt. I just couldn't believe that at a course like that I was told not to wear a mock.

• 2 months later...

my .02 cents

This is a little off topic, but I really think you picked a poor sport to make your point with. I had friends who played on the US National team, they would fill their flasks and then empty them during games. Granted I only tried curling a couple of times, but in my experience it's more about the drinking than anything else. I always likened it to darts. A fun game designed to be played in a bar.