R9 TP iron shafts - KBS Tour Taylormade specific?

chunker

labels differ from KBS Tour 90
Just out of curiosity, does anybody know if the KBS shafts that are in the new R9 TP irons are a Taylormade specific profile?

I ask because I was at my local Golfsmith the other night and I noticed that the clubs felt unusually light. I took a look at the label to see what kind of shaft they were stocked with and noticed the letters KBS, with a little 'S' in the corner, most likely denoting the flex.

So I did a little more research on the Taylormade site and see the swingweight as D1 and the shaft as KBS Tour series, but not specifically KBS Tour 90.

Now, I have the KBS Tour 90s in my Tour Preferreds and they do not feel this light. Of course, it could be all in my head, but I noticed that my labels look like the way it appears on the KBS website, but the ones in the R9 TP irons appeared different.

I apologize if this has already been discussed. Thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's strange how they change the label like that.

Does anyone know if the R9 TP heads are lighter than the Tour Preferred heads? I really couldn't believe how light these clubs felt... and I'm not talking about the swingweight, but just the static weight. As soon as I lifted it off the rack, that was the first thing I noticed.

Now, if I could only demo them on the course to see how they play....

[quote name='chunker' post='2049587' date='Nov 6 2009, 10:22 AM']It's strange how they change the label like that.

Does anyone know if the R9 TP heads are lighter than the Tour Preferred heads?[/quote]

chunker-

The weight of the R9s is still something that has me baffled. The swingweight of the R9s is supposed to be D1, but they feel SO much lighter than my i5s, which have a D0 swingweight.

And the entire club feels lighter, yet the shaft weights are only a few grams difference.

I'm still getting used to the lighter feeling.

PING G30 Driver/3w/2h
PING i20 4-U
PING Tour W 56/60
Cameron Select 2.5
PING Hoofer

[quote name='Harry Longshanks' post='2049596' date='Nov 6 2009, 01:28 PM'][quote name='chunker' post='2049587' date='Nov 6 2009, 10:22 AM']It's strange how they change the label like that.

Does anyone know if the R9 TP heads are lighter than the Tour Preferred heads?[/quote]

chunker-

The weight of the R9s is still something that has me baffled. The swingweight of the R9s is supposed to be D1, but they feel SO much lighter than my i5s, which have a D0 swingweight.

And the entire club feels lighter, yet the shaft weights are only a few grams difference.

I'm still getting used to the lighter feeling.
[/quote]

Glad to know that someone else also thinks the static weight is noticeably lighter, and that it's not just me.

I really wish I could demo a set for a weekend and see how they compare to my current set.

glad I had mine built for me.. nice heavy DGS400's and DD grips since so many are complaining about the undersized grips. D2.5 swingweight too. So no issues so far...hitting the range when daybreaks.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

[quote name='teaz01' post='2052368' date='Nov 8 2009, 06:58 AM']Hi,
Do the R9 TPs come with KBS Tour or Tour 90s? I could not find it on TM's site.[/quote]

KBS Tour in the TP's

[quote name='Johnny' post='2052323' date='Nov 8 2009, 06:09 AM']glad I had mine built for me.. nice heavy DGS400's and DD grips since so many are complaining about the undersized grips. D2.5 swingweight too. So no issues so far...hitting the range when daybreaks.[/quote]

That is the same set-up I am looking at. Did you get those specs from the factory, or any after-market work? Thanks

[quote name='Imperium' post='2052586' date='Nov 8 2009, 10:42 AM'][quote name='Johnny' post='2052323' date='Nov 8 2009, 06:09 AM']glad I had mine built for me.. nice heavy DGS400's and DD grips since so many are complaining about the undersized grips. D2.5 swingweight too. So no issues so far...hitting the range when daybreaks.[/quote]

That is the same set-up I am looking at. Did you get those specs from the factory, or any after-market work? Thanks
[/quote]

straight from TM.

[quote name='Johnny' post='2052610' date='Nov 8 2009, 11:09 AM'][quote name='Imperium' post='2052586' date='Nov 8 2009, 10:42 AM'][quote name='Johnny' post='2052323' date='Nov 8 2009, 06:09 AM']glad I had mine built for me.. nice heavy DGS400's and DD grips since so many are complaining about the undersized grips. D2.5 swingweight too. So no issues so far...hitting the range when daybreaks.[/quote]

[/quote]

straight from TM.
[/quote]

Cool. Ton of upcharge? Thanks for the info, ordering soon.

[quote name='Johnny' post='2052370' date='Nov 8 2009, 10:02 AM'][quote name='teaz01' post='2052368' date='Nov 8 2009, 06:58 AM']Hi,
Do the R9 TPs come with KBS Tour or Tour 90s? I could not find it on TM's site.[/quote]

KBS Tour in the TP's
[/quote]

Johnny, are you sure about that? That's what I've been trying to figure out. The labels don't look like the standard KBS Tour, nor Tour 90, and to me, the static weight just feels super light weight.

Have you gotten that info directly from Taylormade?

I'm thinking the shafts might be a Taylormade specific version of the KBS Tour 90 shafts. I'm going to email them tonight and see if they can confirm.

I'll update this thread once I get a reply. Thanks all.

[quote name='chunker' post='2052980' date='Nov 8 2009, 04:18 PM'][quote name='Johnny' post='2052370' date='Nov 8 2009, 10:02 AM'][quote name='teaz01' post='2052368' date='Nov 8 2009, 06:58 AM']Hi,

KBS Tour in the TP's
[/quote]

Johnny, are you sure about that? That's what I've been trying to figure out. The labels don't look like the standard KBS Tour, nor Tour 90, and to me, the static weight just feels super light weight.

Have you gotten that info directly from Taylormade?

I'm thinking the shafts might be a Taylormade specific version of the KBS Tour 90 shafts. I'm going to email them tonight and see if they can confirm.

I'll update this thread once I get a reply. Thanks all.
[/quote]

look under technology tab.. it mentions KBS Tour shaft in that I believe second graphic.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a set of R9 with the stock KB 90 shaft in stiff. Compared them to my other of J36CB w/ KBT 90 Stiff and noticed a difference in the stepping. Does not look to be soft or hard stepped. Additionally so variances in the length of the steps, sorry but my camera can't seem to capture it well enough to show. I say they're a TM version of the KBT 90.

[quote name='johnye' post='2086217' date='Nov 27 2009, 02:18 AM']Got a set of R9 with the stock KB 90 shaft in stiff. Compared them to my other of J36CB w/ KBT 90 Stiff and noticed a difference in the stepping. Does not look to be soft or hard stepped. Additionally so variances in the length of the steps, sorry but my camera can't seem to capture it well enough to show. I say they're a TM version of the KBT 90.[/quote]

The stepping could be different if they are Parallel shafts instead of Tapers (which the J36 will be). this could also explain the light weight as the tapers are constant weight and the Parallels aren't, so the shaft will get lighter the shorter the club.

[quote name='Goonie' post='2089284' date='Nov 28 2009, 05:21 AM'][quote name='johnye' post='2086217' date='Nov 27 2009, 02:18 AM']Got a set of R9 with the stock KB 90 shaft in stiff. Compared them to my other of J36CB w/ KBT 90 Stiff and noticed a difference in the stepping. Does not look to be soft or hard stepped. Additionally so variances in the length of the steps, sorry but my camera can't seem to capture it well enough to show. I say they're a TM version of the KBT 90.[/quote]

The stepping could be different if they are Parallel shafts instead of Tapers (which the J36 will be). this could also explain the light weight as the tapers are constant weight and the Parallels aren't, so the shaft will get lighter the shorter the club.
[/quote]

Good point and had thought of that, but recall someone posting the hosel size for the R9 is taper, which didn't really make sense to me at the time, given TM's previous trends (non-TP line uses parallel 0.370). Guess won't know till I pull one and measure the tip size.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is going to drive me crazy. I want to reshaft my J36 PCs with the Tour 90s but I can't get hold of a shaft. so I went into my local Golfsmith to hit the R9s. The 90s were extremely light weight.-, not bad feeling and still stable for the few swings I made but very light. The tours in the TPs were too heavy and stout for me-but I came away feeling that the 90s were not the same shaft as I read about on the boards. I would love to get a definitive answer because now I am afraid to order the 90s based on the R9 testing.

Curious, hit the Mizuno club fitting shaft which takes computer measurements. Astounded to see it recommended DG Sl as a first choice and Nippon 950GH second. The Tour 90 is not available from Mizuno so not an option, and of course not recommended.

Curious if anyone has any info on the new Mizuno shaft fitting system. I really don't know whether to trust it,

Frustrated in Florida

a

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW - I have a set of R9's. They are 370 parallel and since KBS Tour 90's only are listed as taper tip on their website, I believe it is safe to assume they are made for. Also, the off the rack swing weights were all over the place, anywhere from C7 to D2.

PXG Gen4 0811 X 9
PXG Gen4 0341 X 5

Ping G410 19 Hybrid

PXG Gen4 4 Hybrid

Titleist T400 5-49W
Titleist Vokey SM7 56
Ping TR Nome

On the issue of KBS stepping, I bought some on the bay a while ago but they did not have any stickers on so I needed to verify them by measuring the steps in them, so I contacted a nice chap at KBS by the name of Eric Hubbell and he kindly sent me this chart and some stickers as well. :partytime2: (by the way mine were real phew!).

[quote]KBS Shaft verification:
KBS steel shafts incorporate a unique step profile that is distinguishable by measuring the length of each step and the # of overall steps in the profile. Each club in a set should have the exact same step profile. Please take the following steps the ensure your shafts are made by KBS.
KBS Tours (taper tip):
- Please select any iron 3-PW
- Please verify the end tip is tapered
- Next, please verify there are 13 steps total in the ‘step profile’
- If so, please take approximate measures of each step starting from the ‘butt’ section moving toward the tip:
-57mm , 57mm , 57mm , 54mm , 51mm , 48mm , 44mm , 41mm , 38mm , 35mm , 32mm , 29mm , 25mm
-2 ¼”, 2 ¼”, 2 ¼”, 2 1/8” , 2” , 1.9” , 1 ¾” , 1.61”, 1 ½” , 1.38” , 1 ¼”, 1.14”, 1”
- If the following measures match up, the club measured is our KBS Tour (taper tip)

KBS Tours (parallel tip):
-Please select any iron 3-PW
- Please verify the end tip is parallel (no taper at end)
- Next, please verify there are 15 steps total in the ‘step profile’
-If so, please take approximate measures of each step starting from the ‘butt’ section moving toward the tip:
-57mm, 57, 57, 54, 51, 48, 44, 41, 38, 35, 32, 29, 25, 22, 19
-2 ¼”, 2 ¼”, 2 ¼”, 2 1/8” , 2” , 1.9” , 1 ¾” , 1.61”, 1 ½” , 1.38” , 1 ¼”, 1.14”, 1”, 0.87”, ¾”
-If the following measures match up, the club measured is our KBS Tour (parallel tip)[/quote]

hOOter.......