Top Flite XL- Just as good as the ProV1x?

rmbudd3

I am sure that topic will get some hits. I know what all the titleist lovers will say, but I really like Top Flites better than Pro V1x's. Here are my reasons: 1) They are longer. I don't care what anybody says, I have never hit a ball farther than a Top Flite, and on par 3's, they are a full club longer than Pro V1x's. 2) They spin less than Pro V1x's, which I like. I don't have any trouble with spin, so the less the better. 3) The cover is much more durable. I shed a Pro V1x on the first wedge. 4) The obvious, they are cheap.

So, cheap ball lovers- let's here from you. If its Pinnacle, Srixon, whatever. And to all of you who have legitimate points on why expensive balls are better, your comments are welcome too.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it depends on what your definition of better is. I hate playing behind a hack that uses Pro Vs and goes on a ball hunt every time they shank one in the woods. I feel that very few golfers have the game to make a Pro V1 a necessity. Play with whatever you choose, after all it is a free country. I will continue to use my cheap Pinnacles. I know they hamper my game, but I will soldier on. :idhitit:

Sure your argument makes sense if you hit the ball extremely acurate, but a top rock out of deep rough won't hold the green, I perfer the Pro V1x because it gives me a little more spin off the wedges and a little less off the driver (a little technology there for ya). I'll stick with my Pro v1X's especially when I'm hitting it good (spin rates are 3000+ when I'm swinging good)

Since starting to play seriously this year, the used ball market has been a big help to me. I don't feel so bad about hitting the inevitable bad shots and tanking a couple of balls now that I can pay up to half of what retail was... sure, I'll buy a sleeve or two when my stock gets low (which it is now :idhitit: ) but I really, really like the feel and spin of the ProV1s. X is out of the question, as I don't currently (and in all likelihood, won't ever) have the swing speed to justify its purchase. I'll always be willing to experiment with other balls and see if something works hands down better, even at a lower price tag :D But for now, being able to buy basically new condition balls at half the price with the same benefits, I'll take the ProV1 :hi:

I am sure that topic will get some hits. I know what all the titleist lovers will say, but I really like Top Flites better than Pro V1x's. Here are my reasons: 1) They are longer. I don't care what anybody says, I have never hit a ball farther than a Top Flite, and on par 3's, they are a full club longer than Pro V1x's. 2) They spin less than Pro V1x's, which I like. I don't have any trouble with spin, so the less the better. 3) The cover is much more durable. I shed a Pro V1x on the first wedge. 4) The obvious, they are cheap.

So, cheap ball lovers- let's here from you. If its Pinnacle, Srixon, whatever. And to all of you who have legitimate points on why expensive balls are better, your comments are welcome too.

AHHHHHHHHHHH NO!!!!!

Nathan

Have played extensively with Top Flite XLs I've purchased around 2000 at buy.com (so they may be 1999 model?) and 2004-2005 Pro V1s, and my experience is that the Pro V1s travel about 5 yards further for my mid-long irons and 10 yards or more on the driver.

No disagreement with respect to points 2-4, though.

Other notable differences:

If I hit the TF really thin (blade it?) then the TF dribbles...but do the same thing with Pro V1, the ball will still take an arching trajectory for more distance, albeit short, but much longer than TF.

I find that the ProV1 stays on the green because of it's spin, if the ball does have spin. I mention this because the Pro V1 bounces off the green a LOT MUCH MORE than the TFs. Pro V1 looks like a rubber ball compared to the TF (or to put it the other way, TF looks like a rock....).

Feel-wise, there is a definite difference in feel b/w PV1 and TF.

But again, this is for the 1999 or 2000 model TF XLs (but solid core, not the wound stuff).

My 2 dozen or so mint TF are going to be my indoor range balls .....

I think there is a place for all of these balls. If hooking or slicing is a problem, then two piece low spin balls will improve your scores. A Top Flite from the fairway is more easily controlled than a ProV from the rough or behind a tree. On the other hand, if you hit over 10 fairways per round and 12+ greens a premium ball (whichever one you like) will allow you to wring the last bit of performace from the ball.

i will admit that the three longest drives i have ever had where with a top flite xl, and two of those were with a nike forged 350 ti driver. however, as soon as i made the switch to my nike pro combos, the top flite xl's and xl 3000 and xl 2000 had to go. they were too harsh. driver distance could go either way, but the premium and even mid level balls are much better off the irons and wedges.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Have to give you credit... I never thought I would see a Top Flite to V1 comparison

And so far no deleted posts....

I respect that you may prefer the TopFlite's over the ProV's, but sorry i dont think i can make the change on that one, and i have bought in to some hype here before, but i have to Just Say No to TopFlite.

I agree with Subsonic and S2M completely, I've been paired with and played behind some fellows like that and it is awful. As a 2-piece ball player I've had many succesful days with TF XL's and they are quite long for me, but with all the really good, soft feeling, sub $20 2 piece balls available today (Mojo, Nike Super Soft, AD333, Exception) I don't even consider XL's and similar distance balls because I prefer the softer feel for all iron and wedge shots.

Rapture V1 10.5 BB
Rapture V1 14
G15 2,4,5,6 HY Recoil 95
G15 7-LW CFS
Karsten TR B60

Ditto to Lysaght and his dittos. The very good golfer may shoot slightly better because of his or her choice of ball, but most of us have much bigger problems with our games than obsessing over a few hundred RPM.

That said, confidence is an under-praised component of playing well and if you feel comfy with a ProV1 then you'll probably play it better. That's how Titleist makes its money.

Confidence is also about feel, and while I know that logically I'd probably shoot the same with a TopFlite XL and a ProV1 (or Nike One etc), the TopFlite, assuming it retains the feel of the old Stratas, will not feel as 'right'.

I don't think you need to invest in ProV1s to get this nice feeling because I get it with Noodles or Mojos, but there is a definite 'rightness' about a well-struck shot with these balls.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

rmbudd3, I think you have a very valid point, but hands down the Pro-V1 is the best ball out there. The only thing Acushnet needs to work on is the cover of the ball. Yes, it does seem to fall apart after a few wedge shots, but it allows any golfer extreme performance, as long as you have semi-decent mechanics.

Now to follow up your point, I have to say I have numerous favorites, most are two piece. Here goes my list in no order.

1. Srixon AD333- Fairly cheap, slice proof, better performance than an NXT, I drove a short par 4 with it. It's a confidence builder.

2. Maxfli RedMAX- Fairly cheap, good performance, I had my longest drive in a long time with it, last week.

3. Callaway HX Hot- Fun to hit, a little pricey, nice for the short game.

4. Pinnacle Exception- Cheap, great around greens, stops on a dime, nice driver ball.

5. Nike Power Distance Super Soft- Best performer in all categories, and this ball is cheap.

After contemplating this thread my first impression is that its an absurd comparison. Despite some pretty good points, the TF is not "just as good as" the Prov. However, the TF is not desgined to be as good as the Prov. Its designed to be as good as it can be for $16.99 a dozen. And it does its job well. But beyond that, comparing it to the Prov 1 (or other balls like it) is like comparing apples and oranges. Yes its cheaper, Yes its probably even longer, and if cheap and long were the only two considerations it would be king. But when you take into account other considerations like distance + spin, it just doesn't compare.

While I don't like Top-Flite balls at all, I think it stems from being "habitualized." Whenever I find a Top-Flite, I throw it in the pond/stream/rough to die a proper death. However, I think the one thing that we're all over-looking is that golf balls have come leaps and bounds, and the Top-Flite II's of yesteryear are a real peice o' poop compared to probably any modern day golf ball. Also, we absolutely HAVE to be getting ripped off at paying $40-$50 a dozen for premium golf balls. I do however choose to play HX.Tours or ProV1s.

Funny you say that, in our foursome, we make the guy who doesn't hit passed the ladies tee, play the PINK Top Flight Flying Lady. Funny as it maybe, the guy who usually plays the PINK ball usually goes 20 yards passed us and ends up even for the hole.

We make the guy who dosen't hit past the ladies tees in my group do something else... Might get deleted if I post it... :idhitit:

I like to play the MC Lady ball's, seriously! I knock the snot out of them and they are soft as a feather around the greens. Poke fun at will but don't knock em untill you try em! :D

Hey placebo! Isn't that why they made the "laddie"? Isn't it the same ball with a different label?

Funny you say that, in our foursome, we make the guy who doesn't hit passed the ladies tee, play the PINK Top Flight Flying Lady. Funny as it maybe, the guy who usually plays the PINK ball usually goes 20 yards passed us and ends up even for the hole.

We make the guy who dosen't hit past the ladies tees in my group do something else... Might get deleted if I post it... :idhitit:

We used to make the first person to dribbled their tee shot play the rest of the round with the pink flying lady. ;)

When I got it, I would, uh, purposely "lose" it OB or in H2O and take the hit rather than play the pink ball! :hi: Although I do have to admit, it feels pretty good smacking it off the driver!

Ken

I like to play the MC Lady ball's, seriously! I knock the snot out of them and they are soft as a feather around the greens. Poke fun at will but don't knock em untill you try em! :idhitit:

Are these balls the same thing as the older Lady Precept? I've seen them in stores but wasn't sure. If they are, you're right. They are monsters off the tee. An Engineer where I work would not play in my foursome a few years ago if money was on the line. He swore I was cheating by playing a low compression "Lady" ball. I eventually stopped using them because I kept hearing snide comments.

I'm not sure if the ball is the same but definitely made by the same company, Precept.

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/produ...CATEGORY_ID=728

A couple good points here have been made... like a 27 handicaper using ProV's.

However, what I don't understand is that this topic has so far been mainly focused on distance. In my opinion, and this is purely my opinion and not saying that anyone else has to agree with this, I feel that distance is not important in my game, not because I hit it long, but because I score better using a ball that I can control well, rather than using a ball that gives me 10 more metres but I can't get up and down with or hold the green. (Give me a break for a sec, that was a long sentence...)

Therefore, by that chain of thought, I prefer to use ProV's and other high quality balls because I can score better and the fact that I don't buy golf balls because I win them in club competition. I suppose that in the States, everyone has to buy their balls because to join a club is an expensive thing from what I gather from my friend who is going to university (college?) over there. Over in Australia, you play in club competitions and basically if you play to your handicap, you get a ball, and the better you play, the better the prizes.

Any, I think that that is enough from me because I got to go sit my Maths exam.

Josh