Will this hurt playability?

driverwedge

Another reason to use caution when using eBay.
I won a WB 73 X on eBay and just got it in the mail 10 minutes ago. There are gouges and scratches all over the shaft. Will this affect playability or does it just make it look awful? If you all can give me some quick feedback and guidance, I'd appreciate it. His description link is below. I also posted pictures. I'm looking for what I should do. Do I ask for my money back? Do I use some touch up paint and move on? Give negative feedback? What would you do?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...%3D1&_rdc=1

This is a draft of what I'm thinking about writing him-

"Just got the shaft in the mail about 10 minutes ago. Before I leave feedback I would like your thoughts. After looking at the condition of the shaft, you can clearly see small gouges and scratches along the shaft. The biggest and most noticeable is right above the word "Rayon" below the logo that goes down to the carbon. There are many other small ones lower towards the tip that also go to the carbon. Your description said "I have a whole slew of pulled shafts for sale of the highest quality." This shaft is absolutely not of the highest quality. I can send pictures if you'd like, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. The grip area looks fine. The tip looks fine although it's clogged with epoxy. I can drill it out, but it should have been done already if this was from a tour van.

Again, I wanted to get your thoughts on this before I leave feedback."

If anyone can provide some insight, it would be appreciated.

Edit: link location

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that was pretty sweet. And, no... it wasn't me.

No those are just cosmetic issues and will not influence playability. Honestly it looks like pretty typical wear on a well used shaft. As far as the "highest quality" goes, my interpretation is that he was referring to the fact that they are high end shafts and was not describing their condition. FYI, I don't think tour vans drill out the used epoxy, they just yank them and toss them to the side. Sorry.

Driver- Cally Mavrik SZ 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
3wd- Cally Flash SZ, UST ATTAS Elements, S
Hybrids- Cally Flash 18* & Apex Pro 24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
Irons- TM 790 4-6,  TM 760 6-PW,  Steelfiber i95, S
GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
SW/LW- Cally MD3, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

[quote name='marrigo' post='2085072' date='Nov 25 2009, 03:42 PM'][b]No those are just cosmetic issues and will not influence playability[/b]. Honestly it looks like pretty typical wear on a well used shaft. As far as the "highest quality" goes, my interpretation is that he was referring to the fact that they are high end shafts and was not describing their condition. FYI, I don't think tour vans drill out the used epoxy, they just yank them and toss them to the side. Sorry.[/quote]

Might be cosmetic but in my opinion the seller should have noted marks in ad. That shaft condition would have raised some eyebrows if it were sold here in our BST section and not mentioned.

Handicap:  3

Won't affect playability, but does affect value.

Cut out the part about the epoxy in the tip as that is usual.

"Although I cannot afford a brand new shaft, I do take pride in the appearance of my golf clubs. Had I seen photos that accurately depicted the numerous gouges and scratches up and down the shaft, I would have considered it [i]useless for my purposes[/i] and not wasted yours or my time by bidding on it."

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

"Child please"
lol
If he doesn't budge, just file an ebay complaint (under Resolve a problem). You just have to pay return shipping. If I were you though, I'd just ask for $25 bucks back (cost of shipping to and fro)...however if the looks bother you, then just return it. Do it all under the ebay process so a) it is documented b) ebay will "freeze" his paypal account for the cost the shaft.

Thank you all for your responses. They all helped very much. Here's the new response:

Just got the shaft in the mail about 10 minutes ago. Before I leave feedback I would like your thoughts. After looking at the condition of the shaft, you can clearly see small gouges and scratches along the shaft. The biggest and most noticeable is right above the word "Rayon" below the logo that goes down to the carbon. There are many other small ones lower towards the tip that also go to the carbon. Your description said "I have a whole slew of pulled shafts for sale of the highest quality." This shaft is absolutely not of the highest quality. I can send pictures if you'd like, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. The grip area looks fine. The tip looks fine. Although I cannot afford a brand new shaft, I do take pride in the appearance of my golf clubs. Had I seen photos that accurately depicted the numerous gouges and scratches up and down the shaft, I would have considered it useless for my purposes and not wasted yours or my time by bidding on it.

If anyone else has thoughts, they are welcome. Really- thank you all for your quick responses!

That is why I am very picky about who I buy from on Ebay. Someone with all of this "Tour Van" equipment who has a feedback of 2 wouold not be on my list of approved sellers. Just a thought for the future.

Chris Herrbach

Director of Golf - American Heroes Foundation

WITB:
Driver: Ping G430 LST 
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Titanium @14.25* 
Hybrid: PING G425
Irons: PING i230 4-PW 
Wedges: GW - PING Glide 3.0 50, SW Mizuno T22 54*, LW Indi TT 60*
Putter: LAB Golf LINK with Stability Tour Black shaft.

I had noticed that. At the time I was bidding he had a feedback of 0. I've never had a problem on ebay until I started bidding on Whiteboards. Dumb luck.

I think you should ask for a refund. The seller did not disclose that the shaft had gouges or scratches. But that is just my $.02.

9.5* Titleist 910 d2 w/Aldila RIP Phenom
16.5* Titleist 910f w/Aldila RIP Phenom
22* Titleist 503h
5-PW Ping G25
52*, 56*, 60* Vokeys
Scotty Studio Select 2.6 Custom

Will do. I'll post what he says. I shot him off that message through ebay to get a response. I'll ask for a refund and let you guys know how it goes. I don't expect an answer anytime soon as it's really close to Thanksgiving, but you never know.

Thanks for the responses. It's making me feel quite a bit more like I'm "in the right" about asking for my money back.

I did have a pretty good laugh at the "child please" line when I first saw it. At least he's got a sense of humor. I just hope he's got good business sense.

I don't know if this helps, but I saw that exact same listing on ebay. I thought it looked familiar, I am always looking through the BST here so I decided to do some looking back. It turns out that the seller is also a member here. Here's the link [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=314510&hl=blowout"]trickedoutsticks[/url] Again I don't know if this helps, but you can at least contact him here if he doesn't respond via ebay. Oh, and I agree that you should demand a refund. I don't know if it would count as a paypal dispute or anything, but that shaft definately wasn't properly described by the seller.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Very good to know, thank you. Thanks for the support and research! I'll certainly post when I hear anything.

Here's the response. I think I'll just send it back and get a refund.

"I apologize that the condition of the shaft was not what you expected. It sounds like you are buying the shaft more for the aesthetic and less for the performance, that being the case I recommend you get yourself a new shaft and spend the $300 retail. This shaft has normal wear for a pulled shaft and typically the most important 2 parts of a shaft are the tip and the butt: both in great shape. I'm not sure what you could expect for a $100 whiteboard from a tour van??? If you were particularly interested in the paint job on the shaft I could have emailed you more detailed pics had you requested them. The only option I can offer you is a full refund with the return shipping at your cost. I'll just eat the ebay and paypal fees. Let me know what you would like to do. Feel free to call me if you have any other questions."

Edit: Removed Phone # Apologize for posting. Not intentional.

The gouge is a definite deal breaker. I would tell him that he is eating shipping both ways as the item was significantly misrepresented.
I like how he says "excellent quality" and then sends a POS shaft and says, "Hey, what do you expect for $100?" Shady eBayer. He was hoping that whoever won it would just accept the condition with no hassle.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='driverwedge' post='2087714' date='Nov 27 2009, 12:38 PM']Here's the response. I think I'll just send it back and get a refund.

"I apologize that the condition of the shaft was not what you expected. It sounds like you are buying the shaft more for the aesthetic and less for the performance, that being the case I recommend you get yourself a new shaft and spend the $300 retail. This shaft has normal wear for a pulled shaft and typically the most important 2 parts of a shaft are the tip and the butt: both in great shape. I'm not sure what you could expect for a $100 whiteboard from a tour van??? If you were particularly interested in the paint job on the shaft I could have emailed you more detailed pics had you requested them. The only option I can offer you is a full refund with the return shipping at your cost. I'll just eat the ebay and paypal fees. Let me know what you would like to do. Feel free to call me if you have any other questions. 480-518-4085."[/quote]

DO NOT PAY FOR THE RETURN OF THE ITEM!!

FYI they don't eat [b]any [/b]of the paypal of ebay fees -- all he will do is cancel the transaction and Ebay doesn't even charge him for the final sale fee. Chances are he got to list it for free too (and if he didn't he probably paid at most 3 bucks to list). Paypal fees will be "reimbursed" to what he returns to you by Paypal and not the seller.

I would request that he cover the shipping charges and if he says no, call Ebay. You can get their number by filing a paypal dispute. Ebay has actually become much more helpful. If you are the buyer and have good feedback, there are times where Ebay will even offer to pay you out of their own pocket if you are willing to just keep the item. i had this experience with a designer tie shipped internationally that was a fake - shipping was almost half of what i paid for the tie and ebay paid me to just keep the tie... i still left neg feedback and the seller's account was shut down a few days later.

Regardless, you need to fight so that you don't have to pay a single cent so that retard sellers like that stay off ebay for good... otherwise, he'll just get someone else the same way next time. He had no right not to mention the cosmetic blemishes... he obviously knew it would affect the value, why else did he put up a picture of a million shafts when he's just selling [b]one

[/b]best of luck..

I'm sorry to rain on this parade, but in reading the listing, the seller doesn't make any representation of the cosmetic condition fo the shaft.

If the buyer was concerned with the cosmetic condition of the shaft, the buyer should ask. I notice in lots of threads here that there is very little consideration for personal responsibility. Whenever I buy a shaft on ebay, I know I ask pretty detailed questions. If I didn't ask it, and it wasn't in the ad, I don't feel like I should have any recourse. It's MY fault for not asking.

I thought the seller's reponse was generous. The shaft looks like it has normal wear, and you know those flaws look much worse in a flash photo than in person.

The seller could of went ahead and let the buyer file a dispute. From what I can see, I seriously don't think the buyer would have any chance with Paypal. He didn't deliver anything different than what was described. It's a used shaft. Offering to refund the funds is a pretty generous offer of good will.

[quote name='Greggz' post='2088402' date='Nov 27 2009, 06:50 PM']I'm sorry to rain on this parade, but in reading the listing, the seller doesn't make any representation of the cosmetic condition fo the shaft.

If the buyer was concerned with the cosmetic condition of the shaft, the buyer should ask. I notice in lots of threads here that there is very little consideration for personal responsibility. Whenever I buy a shaft on ebay, I know I ask pretty detailed questions. If I didn't ask it, and it wasn't in the ad, I don't feel like I should have any recourse. It's MY fault for not asking.

I thought the seller's reponse was generous. The shaft looks like it has normal wear, and you know those flaws look much worse in a flash photo than in person.

The seller could of went ahead and let the buyer file a dispute. From what I can see, I seriously don't think the buyer would have any chance with Paypal. He didn't deliver anything different than what was described. It's a used shaft. Offering to refund the funds is a pretty generous offer of good will.[/quote]

"I have a whole slew of pulled shafts for sale of the highest quality."

The scratches are one thing, but "highest quality" used shafts don't have gouges or chips. If you read eBay's terms of service, the item is supposed to be accurately described.
If you think that you can omit defects from items while describing them as "highest quality" then you are well on your way to negative feedback.

[quote]I don't know if this helps, but I saw that exact same listing on ebay. I thought it looked familiar, I am always looking through the BST here so I decided to do some looking back. It turns out that the seller is also a member here.[/quote]

I thought the same thing when I clicked on the link. I knew I had seen these listed here. I was close to buying a couple of those from the member's post here, but he didn't have any feeback and I think he had 0 posts as well so I decided against it.

Send him a PM, maybe he'll be cool about it.

[quote name='marrigo' post='2085072' date='Nov 25 2009, 06:42 PM']No those are just cosmetic issues and will not influence playability. Honestly it looks like pretty typical wear on a well used shaft. As far as the "highest quality" goes, my interpretation is that he was referring to the fact that they are high end shafts and was not describing their condition. FYI, I don't think tour vans drill out the used epoxy, they just yank them and toss them to the side. Sorry.[/quote]

This is the text of his for sale ad from earlier this month:

[i]"I have a whole slew of shafts that I have collected over the last few years. I figured I'd give them a try here before I post them on Ebay in a few days. All are top of the line, no imitations, some are tour van pulled, all are prepped and ready to go with no grips, no tape, and no epoxy. Here's what I've got:"[/i] His eBay listing is the exact same.

If the tip is full of epoxy, that isn't "prepped and ready to go with no grips, no tape, and no epoxy."
He also was looking at this thread at 7:45pm EST.

[quote name='RighttoLeft' post='2088532' date='Nov 27 2009, 08:08 PM']"I have a whole slew of pulled shafts for sale of the highest quality."

The scratches are one thing, but "highest quality" used shafts don't have gouges or chips. If you read eBay's terms of service, the item is supposed to be accurately described.
If you think that you can omit defects from items while describing them as "highest quality" then you are well on your way to negative feedback.[/quote]

I took the "highest quality" to mean "high end".

Listen, I'm not trying to defend the seller. The ad was poorly written and doesn't expressly refer to the cosmestic condition of the shaft. Do I think he should have mentioned the "gouge". Of course. However, I see lots of ads with no description of quality, and always send any questions I have BEFORE I BID.

I'm just saying, if you are very concerned with the cosmetics quality, then....ASK.

Also, epoxy in the tip of the shaft is normal. He is referring to the epoxy ON the tip, which by the way it sounds, was cleaned and prepped.