Set Makeup: Which Hybrid?

Geohans ·  
GeohansGeohans Members  2160WRX Points: 79Posts: 2,160 Platinum Tees
Putting together a new set; I know the best way to work this out would be to try combos, but I'd like to save time and money, and get started as close to my final makeup as possible.

I will play 4-P, +1/2in. 54 and 60deg wedges.

Driver: 9.5

3wood: 15.5

5wood: 18.5

4iron is 24deg loft.

To fill the gap between 5 wood and 4iron, should I start with a 21deg hybrid? This would be the same loft as a 3iron, but with a longer shaft.

If there is a discussion of this already, please send me there. Thanks!
Posted:

Comments

• chickenpotpiechickenpotpie #TeamJetSpeed Members  8538WRX Points: 151Handicap: 5.5Posts: 8,538 Titanium Tees
    Geohans wrote on Dec 3 2009, 07:24 AM:
    Putting together a new set; I know the best way to work this out would be to try combos, but I'd like to save time and money, and get started as close to my final makeup as possible.

4iron is 24deg loft.

To fill the gap between 5 wood and 4iron, should I start with a 21deg hybrid? This would be the same loft as a 3iron, but with a longer shaft.

20 or 21 degree hybrid would fit well, though don't assume you need a longer shaft (at least not for distance). You will get more distance because of the higher launch characteristics. Now if you need a longer length because it feels more comfortable, that's another story.
    Posted:
    Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013
    WITB Link
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • tr0dddtr0ddd Richmond, VA Members  490WRX Points: 0Posts: 490
    If you were to fill that gap between your 5 wood and 4 iron, wouldn't you have 15 clubs in the bag?
    Posted:
  • KevCarterKevCarter WisconsinClubWRX  12929WRX Points: 473Posts: 12,929 ClubWRX
    Geohans wrote on Dec 3 2009, 06:24 AM:

4iron is 24deg loft.

Geohans,

There are so many variables...

Based upon the lofts you posted, I'm guessing Titleist 3 & 5 woods, and you are thinking about a 909 Hybrid?

If that's the case, I think the 21° will be a great fit when you find the proper shaft for you. I use 15° & 18° with Voodoo, and the 21° 909 with Voodoo plugs the gap nicely.

Kevin
    Posted:
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.