ferrules and epoxy

bbalexz

where do you guys normally buy ferrules and epoxy from?

I am starting to do some club work myself and looking for some ferrules that'll fit my wood/irons exactly so no sanding needs.

where can I find a large quantity of ferrules for cheap?

also on the epoxy, I bought some from golfsmiths and it takes FOREVER to dry. anything else you guys prefer?

thanks guys ;)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3M makes a tour set epoxy you can get on mitchell golfs website. thats also where i get my ferrules from, because as a member with them it allows me great discounts. if you want custom ferrules with cool colors and sizes you should check out the company CELL PARTS. i get all my customs from there. but honestly if you can get a hold of some brampton epoxy, its great stuff and really cheap. i prefer 24 hour stuff for most jobs, and the tour set or 5 min stuff for customers trying to get in and out of the store fast. and for putter reshafts i use loctite 5 min epoxy, which i hear you can use on irons no problem. hope that helps!
kenny

go to golfworks, i get everything from there, much better than golfsmith. they have tons of ferrules, i recommend getting a kit with ll kinds then you know what you use and need. also get their tour epoxy, sets in 15 minutes and you can play with it in about 2 hours.

Will Peoples

Peoples.golf
The Peoples Clubs
Tour Stock Putters

That 3M epoxy is a hard set epoxy that has a fairly high breakdown temperature. It's fine, I suppose, if you don't ever want to pull the graphite shaft to save it. But, if there's ever a chance that you want to pull the shaft and save it, that DP810NS is gonna be kind of hard since it's breakdown temp is above most graphite breakdown temps. I, personally, wouldn't use it.

I use several different products from Golfworks, both the Tour Set quick epoxy and the slower curing epoxies they have. Work much better, are designed for golf clubs, and have never failed on me, nor caused a problem pulling shafts to save. I also have come Devcon I use from time to time that I get for free at work, so in a pinch I'll use it.

As far as ferrules go, golfworks has a large selection, has good prices, and excellent customer service for standards. If you want full custom ferrules, you're not going to beat cell parts. I have a contact there if you're interested you can shoot me a PM and I'll put you in contact with her. Nothing in it for me, but you get in touch with them quicker. And nearly every ferrule you buy will have to be turned down a little. I think I might have had 3 or 4 that I didn't need to turn down, but still did just a bit to get the smushed out epoxy off of them. They shine right back up with acetone.

i bought some custom ferrules from cell parts (one set of white ferrules with dual powder blue rings and one set of white ferrules with dual aqua rings). I haven't installed them yet but i can't wait

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

[quote name='RookieBlue7' post='2121391' date='Dec 13 2009, 02:08 AM']That 3M epoxy is a hard set epoxy that has a fairly high breakdown temperature. It's fine, I suppose, if you don't ever want to pull the graphite shaft to save it. But, if there's ever a chance that you want to pull the shaft and save it, that DP810NS is gonna be kind of hard since it's breakdown temp is above most graphite breakdown temps. I, personally, wouldn't use it.

I use several different products from Golfworks, both the Tour Set quick epoxy and the slower curing epoxies they have. Work much better, are designed for golf clubs, and have never failed on me, nor caused a problem pulling shafts to save. I also have come Devcon I use from time to time that I get for free at work, so in a pinch I'll use it.

As far as ferrules go, golfworks has a large selection, has good prices, and excellent customer service for standards. If you want full custom ferrules, you're not going to beat cell parts. I have a contact there if you're interested you can shoot me a PM and I'll put you in contact with her. Nothing in it for me, but you get in touch with them quicker. And nearly every ferrule you buy will have to be turned down a little. I think I might have had 3 or 4 that I didn't need to turn down, but still did just a bit to get the smushed out epoxy off of them. They shine right back up with acetone.[/quote]

I think you are painting a bad picture of 810. From my experience, every other truck on tour including where I worked used DP810. I can't comment on 810NS, maybe it breaks down at a higher temperature. Pulling shafts with 810 is a breeze.

[quote name='bbalexz' post='2123178' date='Dec 13 2009, 05:19 PM']any part numbers for the ferrule that fit titleist or taylormade perfectly?[/quote]

you might go into a shop and see if they'll try fitting some ferrules on the shafts and the head just to see what fits right. off the top of my head, i'm not too sure. You have to get the right diameter for the shaft as well.

I use Golfworks Max Tour Set stuff. It is in a tube and it is a 2:1. It is great and is relatively inexpensive. They also have an assortment of ferrules (esp. .355). They sell most adapters as well.

I use a 1" belt sander for must shaft work and use coarse, linen, and special belts that work just fine. A little acetone and regardless of the diameter of the hosel I will get a great fit.

I wouldn't use anything in epoxy that doesn't have a 24 hours cure. I don't mind a quick set up, but I don't trust the quick set and go stuff.

^^^ thanks for the advice, I dont have a sander and probably wont get one because of the space that it'll be taken and price. I am using acetone now and that thing is kinda stink that's why I want something that FIT at the first time.

being a relatively young guy, I CANT WAIT, lol, I would like to at least swing it a few time in an hour or so.

[quote name='bbalexz' post='2124463' date='Dec 14 2009, 11:53 AM']^^^ thanks for the advice, I dont have a sander and probably wont get one because of the space that it'll be taken and price. I am using acetone now and that thing is kinda stink that's why I want something that FIT at the first time.

being a relatively young guy, I CANT WAIT, lol, I would like to at least swing it a few time in an hour or so.[/quote]

Most aftermarket ferrules will require cutting. The best advice I can give to you (from someone who has done tons of club work) is to take your time. Skilled clubmakers know shortcuts, but they also have experience. YOU need to be patient, otherwise you will throw good money after bad.