Grafalloy Epic broke - Why?

Legolf

I bought a G10 with Grafalloy Epic shaft, WRX-built (according to the seller and the sticker on the shaft).

After just three rounds, the shaft completely snapped under the hosel. No impact or anything to provoke such a breakage.

Looking at the shaft, there appears to be three distinct "layers" to the material - an inner and outer layer of graphite, and the outer paint/lacquer - each having broken at a slightly different point (see the attached pic).

Does anyone have experience of such problems to explain why this might have happened? Is this a defect in the shaft itself?

Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 68g versions seem to be pretty fragile. I've got the T-90 model and haven't had an issue yet.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I had two shafts break on me... Both were replaced free of charge thankfully!

I "heard" that there some qa issues with earlier but they were addressed - who knows. Personally, I think the shaft is a finicky one that needs extra care when being set. Don't get me wrong - I love the shaft, but after two broken ones, ya gotta wonder. In another thread somewhere someone suggested that aggressing prep on the shaft could be the culprit, and that - to me - makes sense given the technology of the shaft itself.

Hope you have some replacement options!

I would contact Ping about the situation. They would ask you to ship the clubs + shaft back to them, they will assess the damage, and based on their findings they will respond accordingly.

PING G430 LST 9°
PING G430 LST FW #3
PING G430 HY #2
PING G410 Crossover #3
PING i525 #5,
PING i59 #6-PW
PING Glide 4.0 50°, 54°, 60°
PING PLD Anser 2D, Patina finish

It is a Ping.wrx ex-demo. I can't say how much use it had had before I got it, however the face and sole etc look very clean and unmarked.

On the day of breakage, it was the 4th round since getting it, so maybe 40 drives total. Felt kind of odd for a couple of drives before suddenly letting go on one drive mid-round. Fortunately the head just dropped to the ground at the end of the swing, so no damage done.

I e-mailed Ping and got an immediate invite to send it to them for assessment. I'm just hoping that it doesn't turn into a dispute over who is at fault. It was evidently built to a professional standard by the wrx, so they may just say "faulty shaft, Grafalloy's problem, take it up with them".

However so far Ping are taking it seriously and I await their response.

Thanks to all for your advice.

I had two shafts break on me... Both were replaced free of charge thankfully!

How/where did you get the shafts replaced - with the club-builder/manufacturer, or directly with Grafalloy? Any help appreciated.

Since mine were installed locally, I went back to Golf Galaxy where it was done. Believe it or not the guy who works there is pretty good, and they did not bat an eye when I came in, and took care of it without question.

• 1 year later...

OMG!! This is not good news! I just bought 2 of these things. I haven't installed them yet, not sure if I'm even going to now.

Come on, a shaft that breaks if your follow through is too long and hits your back! That doesn't sound like an install issue to me? I could see if these things kept snapping at the hosel, but not right in the middle of the shaft.

I live in Minnesota where the golf season is short. I don't have time to dick around with shafts that are snapping in the middle of the round, then having to wait for it to be replaced!

Can anyone confirm a flaw/defect in this shaft, either from/by Grafalloy, or an independent party? Or is this "just the way they are"?

I can give you accounts of several major (and expensive) shafts breaking during the follow-through so this is not an isolated problem with the EPIC shafts.

The majority of issues have occurred with breakage at the hosel, so be careful with the tip prep (do it by hand, not with a beltsander), and you shouldn't have a problem.

[quote name='Legolf' post='1146616' date='Jul 2 2008, 06:57 AM']It is a Ping.wrx ex-demo. I can't say how much use it had had before I got it, however the face and sole etc look very clean and unmarked.[/quote]

Like others have mentioned, it might have been an over-sanding/over-prepping issue and they have more experience than I to talk of such things.

I would like to mention, however, since it is a demo club it might have developed a crack after being slammed into the ground. I've played with more than one a$$hole who likes to slam his club into the ground after slicing ten consecutive balls OB. I've even had one dude remark about not caring since "it wasn't his club anyway."

[quote name='Hole-In-One' post='2126740' date='Dec 15 2009, 01:33 PM']OMG!! This is not good news! I just bought 2 of these things. I haven't installed them yet, not sure if I'm even going to now.

Come on, a shaft that breaks if your follow through is too long and hits your back! That doesn't sound like an install issue to me? I could see if these things kept snapping at the hosel, but not right in the middle of the shaft.

I live in Minnesota where the golf season is short. I don't have time to dick around with shafts that are snapping in the middle of the round, then having to wait for it to be replaced!

Can anyone confirm a flaw/defect in this shaft, either from/by Grafalloy, or an independent party? Or is this "just the way they are"?[/quote]

Before this thread gets polluted I'll jump in and say 99% of the Epic breakage that Grafalloy has analyzed have been caused by aggressive tip prepping. There is a sticker on the butt end of all Epic shafts that gives precise tip prep instructions. Due to the thin walls we recommend a less abrasive grit paper to remove the clear coat and lightly abrade the nano-fused outer layer. Aggressive prepping that removes too much of the nano material will probably lead to breakage at the hosel.
To my knowledge there have been very few questions asked when our customers have had a breakage issue regardless of fault so you should not have a problem getting the shaft replaced through Ping.

TTS

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

Ive RTV'd many of these and ive seen like 3 break during play. I know when I would install an Epic it would take me almost twice as long just because I would be so careful. Like TTS said they are very thin and manufacturers that Ive worked with have never turned one down. Send it it it may take like 10-14 businesses days but good as new!

Edit: On a side note I just realized that it was a year ago today that I joined this wonderful community. :drinks: GOLFWRX!!! :drinks:

[quote name='TrueTemper' post='2128667' date='Dec 16 2009, 11:35 AM'][quote name='Hole-In-One' post='2126740' date='Dec 15 2009, 01:33 PM']OMG!! This is not good news! I just bought 2 of these things. I haven't installed them yet, not sure if I'm even going to now.Come on, a shaft that breaks if your follow through is too long and hits your back! That doesn't sound like an install issue to me? I could see if these things kept snapping at the hosel, but not right in the middle of the shaft.I live in Minnesota where the golf season is short. I don't have time to dick around with shafts that are snapping in the middle of the round, then having to wait for it to be replaced!Can anyone confirm a flaw/defect in this shaft, either from/by Grafalloy, or an independent party? Or is this "just the way they are"?[/quote]Before this thread gets polluted I'll jump in and say 99% of the Epic breakage that Grafalloy has analyzed have been caused by aggressive tip prepping. There is a sticker on the butt end of all Epic shafts that gives precise tip prep instructions. Due to the thin walls we recommend a less abrasive grit paper to remove the clear coat and lightly abrade the nano-fused outer layer. Aggressive prepping that removes too much of the nano material will probably lead to breakage at the hosel.To my knowledge there have been very few questions asked when our customers have had a breakage issue regardless of fault so you should not have a problem getting the shaft replaced through Ping.TTS[/quote]+1

Hi,

I'm a club maker and Grafalloy EPIC shaft stockist. Even though I've heard of a few breakages, this has never happened to one of my installs:

Safeest way to install an EPIC shaft:
[list=1]
[*]Workout the driver heads BBGM and tip cut the required amount
[*]Insert tip cut EPIC into hosel and mark shaft at top of hosel
[*]Add an additional 1/4" so epoxy can adhere to shaft and ferrule (don't add 1/4" if you need to use a tip weight for swing weighting)
[*]Place masking tape around shaft at the additional mark
[*]Use a sharp Stanley knife to SCRAPE the outer clear coat on the metal outer sleeve from tip to masking tape
[*]Using a coarse 40 or 60 sand paper, fold it in half to create a V shape
[*]Place tip of shaft into the V section and rotate shaft to abrade and guarantee shaft tip is slightly abraded and no paint remains
[*]Install as with any other graphite shaft
[/list]I don't use any powered machinery to prep the EPIC, you can't remove any of the outer metal surface..

Installed properly, the EPIC's are an awesome shaft.

Cheerz :):D;)

I have an Epic 68 in my 3-wood (Tour Edge Exotics XLD) and have had no problems and played it all summer (and my brother uses it 1/2 the time becomes its so long). I installed it myself... after reading about problems with shaft breakage... I just kept my prep to a minimum. Just lightly hand sanded it until it fit in the hosel nicely and then made a few passes on it with a dull rasp file to give the epoxy something to bite onto.