Looking for new grips. What do you use?

danattherock

So many choices, make a suggestion.
I use jumbo grips in the past, but have been rethinking that. Perhaps just getting regular or midsize grips and getting 5-7 wraps of tape. There are so few choices in jumbo grips anyway. Got some new clubs from Callaway Preowned and had them tape them up (8 wraps). They used the standard Callaway grip of course. I like the size/feel better than the jumbo Winns I have used for years. Seems to have better feel. I used the Winn Excel for a long time, too soft and wear out fast. Had the Winn Pci half cord for the last 8 months, but they are a bit too firm for my taste. Looking online, so many choices, Lamkin, Golf Pride, etc... Just thought I would ask what you guys use and why. Looking for grips for all my clubs but would rather ask here before taking the leap. I mostly want something with a good feel and tacky feel. Something that will feel good and secure in my hands, but not be too soft like the Winn Excel and wear out prematurely. The Lamkins (white dots all over it) looks nice, but never seen one or held one in person. Sound like a tard? Yeah, I am sure, but I can't get to a golf shop since I am working on an island (Nantucket) so I will have to make this purchase blind. It cost me $200 to fly over to the mainland, rent a car, and fly back. Can't spend $200 to go feel grips. Relying on the good folks here for some guidance. Thanks guys!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Golf Pride Multicompound would be a good choice as it is offered in a lot of colors. They also have midsize in red, blue and white I believe. Hope this helps.

Ping G430 10K 10.5 GD Tour AD DI 6 X Stiff 
Ping G430 SFT 3 Wood Tour AD DI 7 Stiff

Ping G430 SFT 5 Wood Tour 2.0 Black 75 Stiff
Ping G430 5-PW,45,50,54,58 Steelfiber 110 CW Stiff
36” Ping 2021 Harwood SuperStroke XL Tour 2.0+Plus 

Wilson Staff Tour Model X

I am almost scared to ask (due to price), but does anyone play the Iomic grips in their irons/woods. I got one the other week for my putter and was impressed. Curious if anyone is playing them in all of their clubs. If so, what about size? I have big hands and would be interested to hear. I know for sure the putter grips run VERY small.

Nantucket,I have done some fishing out there.Beautiful place,Must be peaceful in the winter months..."All work and no play..."
Went there 98,-00'..It's a shame the seals have taken it over..
5-7 raps your not gonna be the grip guys fave...
There's a guy comes into my friends shop.Good customer plays the Iomics with 5 raps.They feel good.They are a PITA to get on..Order one and give it a try.You have all winter.
Perhaps try the Itomic by Tacki-Mac.A cheaper alternative.There's a thread on it.
I bought one to try in white and with my work hands it had smudges all over it immediately.So perhaps a darker color.

If you are looking for something tacky and like Winn try the XI-7 series. I played them for awhile in my wedges and really liked them.

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

[quote name='Ranman' post='2138345' date='Dec 22 2009, 06:15 AM']The Golf Pride Multicompound would be a good choice as it is offered in a lot of colors. They also have midsize in red, blue and white I believe. Hope this helps.[/quote]

+1

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='raseeler']You should check out STAR grips (stargrip.com). They are by far the best rubber grip made, and they are extremely durable and stay tacky. I found them by chance, but they are incredible...[/quote] Amen. $2.99 for made-in-USA Star Sidewinders, and they're guaranteed for life. How exactly can you beat that?

Do NOT get the Golf Pride MP midsze grips. I played them last year and there are several reasons I do not like them. First of all the right hand grip, will get very slick after about thirty rounds. Also they are very slick in the wet, if you play when it rains these grips are not good. I cut them off all my sticks, and went to Dancing With Dragons with three wraps of tape.

DWD grips are excellent, but expensive. Now that I have put them on my sticks, I just ordered two more sets to save on shipping. After fifty rounds of golf, they are still perfect.

[quote name='MadGolfer76' post='2138472' date='Dec 22 2009, 09:03 AM'][quote name='Ranman' post='2138345' date='Dec 22 2009, 06:15 AM']The Golf Pride Multicompound would be a good choice as it is offered in a lot of colors. They also have midsize in red, blue and white I believe. Hope this helps.[/quote]

+1
[/quote]

+2 I never thought these were that special until i got them on a set of irons i just got a week ago with the top cord section. They feel amazing! And the color selection for regular size is great. I am not sure how many colors they offer in midsize. They are a little more money than i would normally want to pay for grips (7.99) but These things scream durability and comfort. I will likely use them on all of my woods a well.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='Russ757' post='2138357' date='Dec 22 2009, 05:58 AM']Lamkin 3gen mids $4.50ish Very nice grips[/quote]

This.

The GPNDMC grips are anything BUT tacky. They are pretty hard, so if the winn PCI's were too hard for your liking, you will most likely HATE the new decades.

I just made the switch from the Winn DSI V17 to the Lamkin 3gen white midsize grips. They are just the right size, not too soft, and not too hard. They are firmer than the winns, but nowhere near the golf prides. And they are quite grippy. I havent played with them in the rain yet, but so far, I love them. And as mentioned, they are $4.50 vs $8 for the GP and the Winn's.

[quote name='chickenpotpie' post='2138494' date='Dec 22 2009, 08:19 AM']I just tried one of the Tacki-Mac Itomics, and like it so far (much cheaper than Iomics). I don't think they make a mid-size, but they seem to be pretty thick, so you can probably build them up a bit and get there.[/quote]

I put one on my driver when I was trying to decide between the itomic and the Lamkin 3gen. Being that they do not sell them in midsize, I built it up with 4 wraps of tape. They may feel thick, but trust me, they thin out quick. They thinned out so much that they are hard like old worn out TV's, except they are very sticky. Perhaps only 2 wraps of tape might work, but coming from jumbo size, they will feel like you are holding a pencil.

Iomic sticky, payed 160 for a set of 13 and I have yet to change them and it has been over a year on play everyday. They are just as tacky if not tackier than the day I bought them. I highly suggest them. Prior to that I went through two sets of Multicompounds in a summer, So it was more expensive using those than the Iomics.

[quote name='danattherock' post='2138356' date='Dec 22 2009, 06:51 AM']I am almost scared to ask (due to price), but does anyone play the Iomic grips in their irons/woods. I got one the other week for my putter and was impressed. Curious if anyone is playing them in all of their clubs. If so, what about size? I have big hands and would be interested to hear. I know for sure the putter grips run VERY small.[/quote]

I just put the Tacki Mac Itomic grips on all my clubs. They are very similar to the Iomics, but only cost $3.49 each at Golfsmith. They feel slightly less firm than the Tour Velvets I usually use, size seems slightly thicker, but WAY more tacky. I like them so far. They come in white, red, blue, and black. I went with the black, with white end caps, as the other colors were a little too bright for my taste.

Cobra Fly-Z driver
Cobra Speed LD 3 wood
Adams LS 3 hybrid
TM Rocketbladez 4 - AW
Ping Tour 56
TM ATV 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I have sharpros on my wedges. If you like the gp MC then by all means look into them. Very comparable but much cheaper. But compared to the midsize 3gens, the gens win. Especially it you like midsize, no need to build up.

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

[quote name='danattherock' post='2138336' date='Dec 22 2009, 04:50 AM']I use jumbo grips in the past, but have been rethinking that. Perhaps just getting regular or midsize grips and getting 5-7 wraps of tape. There are so few choices in jumbo grips anyway. Got some new clubs from Callaway Preowned and had them tape them up (8 wraps). They used the standard Callaway grip of course. I like the size/feel better than the jumbo Winns I have used for years. Seems to have better feel. I used the Winn Excel for a long time, too soft and wear out fast. Had the Winn Pci half cord for the last 8 months, but they are a bit too firm for my taste. Looking online, so many choices, Lamkin, Golf Pride, etc... Just thought I would ask what you guys use and why. Looking for grips for all my clubs but would rather ask here before taking the leap. I mostly want something with a good feel and tacky feel. Something that will feel good and secure in my hands, but not be too soft like the Winn Excel and wear out prematurely. [i][b]The Lamkins (white dots all over it) looks nice, but never seen one or held one in person.[/b][/i] Sound like a tard? Yeah, I am sure, but I can't get to a golf shop since I am working on an island (Nantucket) so I will have to make this purchase blind. It cost me $200 to fly over to the mainland, rent a car, and fly back. Can't spend $200 to go feel grips. Relying on the good folks here for some guidance. Thanks guys![/quote]

I use the those same ones on my grips and I love them. My friend also has them in the Jumbo size, and he really enjoys them as well. I have had them on my clubs all year, and will probably use them the through summer. They fell great, especially after breaking them in after some time on the range. I have them on all my clubs except my putter, which I just put a midsize IOMIC grip on. I like the feel of that one so far, but I haven't tried them on any other clubs. I have tried the NDMC grips and didn't really like the way that those ones felt. They felt way too hard for my liking.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17.25* (Motore F1 7s); 21* Callaway UW (Attas T2 8S); Adams Super 9031 23* (Recoil Prototype Utility 110 F4)
Irons: 5-PW Srixon ZX7 MKII (KBS 120 $ Taper)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

The Jumbo Lamkin Crosslines are great, I would recommend trying those as well.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9* w/ UST Linq White 8F5

Callaway Rogue 3 LS Wood w/ UST Linq Blue 8F5

Callaway UW 19* w UST Linq White 9F5

Titleist T200 ‘21 4-5 w/ Nippon Modus3 120x

Titleist T100 ‘21 6-9 w/ Nippon Modus3 120x

Vokey 46* w/ Nippon Modus3 120x

PXG 0311 Wedge 50* w/ UST Recoil Wedge 125X

Vokey 54* and 58* w/ BGT ZNE 130

L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 (Red) Broomstick

[quote name='highergr0und' post='2138482' date='Dec 22 2009, 08:10 AM']Check out the new lamkin performance plus grips 3gen... They've got less taper than the standard grip. I can't wait to get those on my clubs.[/quote]

Those are some heavy grips. Won't they impact swingweight? A standard crossline is 50g as is the Golf Pride Tour velvets. The 3Gen grips are 59g for the standard and 67g for the midsize. Wow!