SMT 455 Deep Bore driver

Thaddy ·  
ThaddyThaddy Members  1191WRX Points: 1Posts: 1,191 Bunkers
Opinions?
I've been thinking of ordering this driver with a House of Forged shaft and haven't found a lot of reviews or customer opinions. I'm interested in trying something a bit different than the big name offerings that will give me a mid-high launch, low spin, and is still forgiving. This driver seems to fit the bill but I'd like to hear opinions first.

I have a 103-105mph swing speed and would most likely go with the House of Forged Patriot shaft in X stiffness (based on what I've read here: http://www.whiteshaft.com/shafts_stndr.html)
Posted:

Comments

• eggseggs Members  260WRX Points: 1Posts: 260 Bunkers
    I gamed one for over a season, it's a great head imo. I hit some of the longest drives I've hit with that, maybe the longest. Dead center hits went like a rocket. Only my current club competes, tbh.

I had an Aldila NVS 65-S in mine. Never sure if that was a great match-up for me.

Like a lot component heads, it played true to loft and I bought an 11. In OEM brands, I've played 9 in a Ping Rapture (mk1) and 9.5 in TaylorMade drivers usually. My current Adams, which generally is said to have a lower launch angle, has a 10.5 loft and all of these drivers, to me, launch broadly the same.

Take care with the installation or preferably get an experienced clubmaker to do it. The Deep Bore has a significant effect on the behaviour of the shaft tip. As the shaft I had was a pull, the clubmaker actually shimmed and filled the bore to replicate the same insertion depth that the shaft had previously. Get an expert view on this!

It's quite loud too. A little lead tape on the bottom quietened it down a lot. Also probably not the most forgiving head in the world, especially compared to current offerings, but not desperately bad in this respect.

Definitely worth a look. Still have mine knocking around somewhere and don't intend to get rid of it.

Sorry I can't advise on the spin rates, as I don't have access to a launch monitor, nor the shaft you mention.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ThaddyThaddy Members  1191WRX Points: 1Posts: 1,191 Bunkers
    Thanks for the opinion. Because it is a component club and I don't have access to a local clubmaker that I trust, I was just going to order it from 300yards.com pre-built with the shaft, shaft length, and grip of my liking. They seem to be a reputable site and I will still retain the warranty.

As for noise, I used to own a Tour Edge XCG-V driver. I had to wear ear plugs while teeing off with that cannon image/laugh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
    Posted:
  • setter02setter02 Domesticated Domicile Attendant. aka. House Husband Banned  2617WRX Points: 0Handicap: 6.2Posts: 2,617
    I played one for a year a few back, then gave it to my brother in law when he first started into golf. Great head, lifetime warrenty, what more could you ask for. My club fitter lives by it and he's hit everything out there, just a solid head.
    Posted:
  • DblEglDblEgl Members  849WRX Points: 104Posts: 849 Golden Tee
    Like any specialty driver, you should talk to SMT directly. Mike Tait, the Pres, owner, designer of the head, is very accessible & personable and would be happy to discuss the ins and outs of the head design. He can even refer you to a fitter in your area. Oh...SMT has some specials going on now too. image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

I have hit several 455db's, including a custom black one. They are a classic design that has helped to win many long drive titles for the big boys. Hard to go wrong with a good shaft fit. Call Mr. Tait and have your questions ready. Good luck and enjoy it.

Thaddy wrote on Dec 21 2009, 06:24 PM:
    Thanks for the opinion. Because it is a component club and I don't have access to a local clubmaker that I trust, I was just going to order it from 300yards.com pre-built with the shaft, shaft length, and grip of my liking. They seem to be a reputable site and I will still retain the warranty.

As for noise, I used to own a Tour Edge XCG-V driver. I had to wear ear plugs while teeing off with that cannon image/laugh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
    Posted:
  • AwalkspoiledAwalkspoiled Members  3329WRX Points: 147Posts: 3,329 Titanium Tees
    An all-time classic. Not super-low spin, but very long, workable both ways, and sits nicely behind the ball. Launches high relative to measured loft. Go half a flex softer in most shafts, if you're not going to short-insert.
    Posted:
    2017 M2/Matrix Ozik F6M2
    Cally XHP 15°/Altus or 3Deep/Striper H2
    Cobra F8 4-5/F7M2
    Cally XHP23/Altus hb or Cally X-Prototype 24°/Program 95
    6-GW Cobra Forged One Length on flighted Matrix Program 95 OR MP-H4 ON PROGRAM F15
    Scratch D/D wedges
    Bettinardi QB3
  • mcalettemcalette Members  64WRX Points: 0Posts: 64
    I have the smaller brother the SMT "02". I really like SMT products including this Driver. Mine is 7 degrees so it does not create buckets of back or side spin. Simply a very nice attractive high performing piece. I would imagine the 455 to be as good or better.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
    Thanks for all the opinions. I just placed my order from 300yards.com after talking with Eric for a bit. He pretty much confirmed my initial thoughts about shaft but suggested I go with the 11* head. I ended up going with the 455db with 11* of loft and the House of Forged Patriot shaft (stiff flex, 45.5"). I'm excited to give it a whirl at my local indoor range image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
  • gvogelgvogel Members  8335WRX Points: 1,230Posts: 8,335 Titanium Tees
    I have hit all the SMT heads. The new DB+ feels better, is easier to hit, and looks better IMO. Mike will tell you that the new head is probably higher launching by a little bit, and lower spinning. Thus, if you need to go up in loft to get a decent ball flight, your spin will not be too high with the new head.

The 455 feels hard to me; the DB+ feels softer, but explosive. The sound is better, as well.

Of course, the nice thing is that you can put a decent shaft in both, and for just a bit more than the retail price of a Titleist, you can have two very good drivers to compare!

I am playing either a 9.5* Indio/Motore F1 R or a 10* DB+/Motore F1 R, just for information purposes.

BTW, I could not get my 455 out of my shadow - perhaps a shaft problem. I have hit some very long drives with the DB+; and lots of pretty long ones as well.
    Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
    I looked at the DB+ and was seriously considering it, but honestly I couldn't get past the crown design. The cross hatching looks too distracting and I knew I wouldn't feel as comfortable with the DB+ than the 455.

I'm really looking forward to getting the 455, the red colored head and white HoF shaft should look great image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> My ZL is sweating bullets...
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.