Vokey Oil Can Wedge!

gdawgs100 ·  
gdawgs100gdawgs100 Members  74WRX Points: 0Posts: 74
How to take the rust off of it!?
I have a 56 degree Vokey Oil Can Wedge that is about a year and a half old. It has lost its oil can finish and is nothing but rust! Does anyone know how i can get this rust off? I know its suppose to rust but i am getting tired of looking at it like that! Thanks for your help!
Posted:

Comments

• bheffernbheffern Members  60WRX Points: 0Posts: 60
    Soak in coca-cola for a few hours. Coke will eat away anything eventually.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • gdawgs100gdawgs100 Members  74WRX Points: 0Posts: 74
    i think i may need more than coke! But i sure will try! Thanks
    Posted:
  • ClarkClark Members  520WRX Points: 0Posts: 520
    eh... wd 40 and a brillo brush.... usually does the trick but sometimes i'd have to do the coke method... either is fine
    Posted:
  • One_Putt_BlunderOne_Putt_Blunder Members  10835WRX Points: 259Posts: 10,835 Titanium Tees
    yup coke will take care of it just fine. just dont excpect to have any oil can finish on it when its done. you can check out my witb pics to see my 52* and 60* that have been coked
    Posted:
    [twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
    10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
    14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
    18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
    RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
    Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
    Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
    WITB Link
  • tdk8180tdk8180 Parts UnknownBanned  2446WRX Points: 142Handicap: 3Posts: 2,446 Platinum Tees
    You are going to have to use 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. It will take the rust off easily, but you will have to rub it down for at least 10 mins under running water. When the rust is gone, you will be left with metal that will be susceptible for rusting. If you want to do a gun blue finish, you will need to degrease the metal.

You could do this as well, after rubbing it down with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, take some 000 grade steel wool, rub it down good and then take a butane torch to it.
    Posted:
  • billybaroobillybaroo Cold and snowy MassachusettsMembers  1287WRX Points: 167Posts: 1,287 Platinum Tees
    A vinegar solution will work as well, and not leave a sticky residue when you are done. I have some metal brewing gear I soak in vinegar every so often and with no elbow grease it comes out bright and shiny.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • dukeswebdukesweb Members  208WRX Points: 0Posts: 208
    Go to your local hardware store and get some Naval Jelly Rust Remover. Just brush it on all over the clubhead, let it sit for about 1 minute and rinse with water. You'll have a clean raw wedge again.
    Posted:
  • volchrisvolchris Members  137WRX Points: 0Posts: 137
    Birchwood Casey Blue & Rust Remover (found in Wal Mart gun section). Wipes rust right off with cotton ball.

Chris
    Posted:
  • storm319storm319 USMembers  4303WRX Points: 482Posts: 4,303 Titanium Tees
    Soak in any rust cleaner then scrub with a wire brush or steel wool. Using coke will just eat right through the finish.
    Posted:
  • shallowdivotsshallowdivots Members  1289WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,289
    dukesweb wrote on Apr 8 2009, 10:56 AM:
    Go to your local hardware store and get some Naval Jelly Rust Remover. Just brush it on all over the clubhead, let it sit for about 1 minute and rinse with water. You'll have a clean raw wedge again.

Naval Jelly works so easy!
    Posted:
    9.5* Titleist 910 d2 w/Aldila RIP Phenom
    16.5* Titleist 910f w/Aldila RIP Phenom
    22* Titleist 503h
    5-PW Ping G25
    52*, 56*, 60* Vokeys
    Scotty Studio Select 2.6 Custom
  • NystagmusNystagmus Members  39WRX Points: 0Posts: 39
    What is the purpose of letting them rust in the first place ??? More "gription" on the rusty surface ???
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • wrmillerwrmiller Members  1569WRX Points: 5Posts: 1,569 Bunkers
    Use Naval Jelly on all three of my oil cans.
    Posted:
    Primary bag:
    Titleist 913 D3 8.5
    Titleist 915Fd 13.5
    Titleist 913h 17
    Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
    Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
    Ping G400 9
    Ping G30 fw 13
    Ping G30 hybrid 19
    Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
    Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter
  • chickenpotpiechickenpotpie #TeamJetSpeed Members  8538WRX Points: 151Handicap: 5.5Posts: 8,538 Titanium Tees
    Nystagmus wrote on Dec 23 2009, 06:22 PM:
    What is the purpose of letting them rust in the first place ??? More "gription" on the rusty surface ???

That's the theory, but I believe it's been proven to be minimal to negligible, especially given the effect of the groove dimensions. It's mostly a looks thing. You either like it or you don't.
    Posted:
    Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013
    WITB Link

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.