Titleist 909D3

B Keller ·  
B KellerB Keller Members  531WRX Points: 0Posts: 531
with Graphite Designs Aura Red
I was at my local GG today and saw a Titleist 909D3 on the used rack. It had the Graphite Designs Aura Red Shaft in it. This is a 68g Stiff Flex shaft.

This is not a shaft listed on the Titleist website of custom shafts, but is on the GDI website. Should that give me pause on this driver?

Can anyone give me some insight on what this combo should do?

Titleist Shaft Options

Aura Red Series Specs

Posted:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers  5461WRX Points: 504Handicap: 6Posts: 5,461 Titanium Tees
    Get on a trackman, or see what your numbers are for a clubfitting. Or take it to the range and tee it up!!!
    Posted:

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • B KellerB Keller Members  531WRX Points: 0Posts: 531
    puttingmatt wrote on Dec 22 2009, 09:22 PM:
    Get on a trackman, or see what your numbers are for a clubfitting. Or take it to the range and tee it up!!!

I am doing that tomorrow as long as it isn't thunderstorming where I live. I was curious as to what to expect from this combo. I know the D3 is a lower launching club and from what I gather the shaft is a low spin shaft. If I have a decent perhaps slightly high launch and too much spin, so it would seem to be a good combo, right?
    Posted:
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers  5461WRX Points: 504Handicap: 6Posts: 5,461 Titanium Tees
    Just try it. Bring your old driver to compare drives. The thing is, if you like the clubhead, but not the shaft

you can always make a change. might be a good bargaining point, to get the price down. Good Luck and let

us know if you like this combo.
    Posted:

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • pdaeropdaero Lefty Boomers  6051WRX Points: 185Handicap: 0.3Posts: 6,051 Titanium Tees
    I have heard that this shaft performs incredibly well for a low-mid launch/spin shaft well beyond its price range of ~$70. It should be a cannon of a combo - have no fear!

Edit: Realized you posted the websites. As far as performance, it will be a mid boring trajectory as both the 909D3 and the Aura Red promote this. If you already launch it low or mid with acceptable spin, it might not be enough, but I have no idea what your swing is like - can you give us some specs so that we can help? Thanks!
    Posted:
    Titleist 917D2 9.5* w/ Aldila X-Torsion Copper 60TX
    Titleist 915F 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
    Titleist 915H 18* w/ Diamana S+ 90X
    Titleist 716CB 3-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
    Vokey SM6 53.09*, 59.07* w/ DG TI S400
    PING Anser Milled 0 34"
    I have a swing video but I don't know how to upload it. It says I don't have permission to upload the type of file it is.

I have not used a launch monitor yet, But my trajectory on my current driver (FT-i, 10*, stock stiff staff) in the simulator is about 15.5 with a spin of 4800. This setup is 9.5* stiff shaft, so I am hoping to get to 13-14* and about 3300-3500 RPM. Does that sound about right? Swing speed is 94-97.
    Posted:

I am actually backed away from the ball here so it is not a whiff.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • juststevejuststeve Members  5180WRX Points: 542Posts: 5,180 Titanium Tees
    From the photos it looks like the previous owner hit that club everywhere but the middle of the club face. It should be a good deal since the sweet spot is brand new.

Steve
    Posted:
    Well I found out today that my current driver has too much loft and the shaft is too stiff and heavy for my current game. The performance out of the 909 was the same as my current.

After some work I found that the G15 and R9 appear to be the best fit for me, but more work needs to be done before I made a decision.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.