Nick Faldo's Equipment

Shah G

Im sitting here at work reading his "swing For Life" book, waiting to go play in the morning. When I get a littel quick, I always think of Els, freddy, and Faldo for tempo inspiration. Wish he was still out there playing. Any thruth to the rumor that he's replacing Daniel Craig as the new 007?

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

That photo was taken at the 2001 Volvo PGA Championship at Wentworth when he was out of contract and I think still going through that complicated situation with Adams. Notice the blank bag, glove and headcovers with the Mizuno Staff towel and TP-19's half covered in lead !

Under those headcovers was a Titleist 975 driver and 975F 3-wood.

His putter was a Scotty Cameron Del Mar 3.5 Tour in black.

NickFaldoScottyCameronDelMar35Tour.jpg

NickFaldoScottyCameronDelMar35Tour1.jpg

NickFaldoScottyCameronDelMar35Tour2.jpg

That photo was taken at the 2001 Volvo PGA Championship at Wentworth when he was out of contract and I think still going through that complicated situation with Adams. Notice the blank bag, glove and headcovers with the Mizuno Staff towel and TP-19's half covered in lead !

Under those headcovers was a Titleist 975 driver and 975F 3-wood.

His putter was a Scotty Cameron Del Mar 3.5 Tour in black.

NickFaldoScottyCameronDelMar35Tour.jpg

NickFaldoScottyCameronDelMar35Tour1.jpg

NickFaldoScottyCameronDelMar35Tour2.jpg

Actually it appears that he was using the old Taylor Made TPA XVIII at the 2001 Volvo PGA and for a few years previously occasionally switching to the Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II and then upgraded to the Scotty Cameron Del Mar 3.5 Tour later in 2001. I guess Scotty developed this putter after some sort of request or just seeing Nick go back to a putter that he had had so much success with over ten years earlier !?

TaylorMadeTPAXVIII.jpg

TaylorMadeTPAXVIIIPutter.jpg

Below is a couple of pictures of Nick Faldo's Mizuno TP-19 irons. They were different from the released retail version as shown at the very bottom with there being no TP-19 stamping visible on the side of the hosel, his had TP-19 NF stamped on the back of each hosel and his also came with the bold solid 'MP style' numbering on the sole rather than the outlined European style numbering which was present on most TP models.

FaldoTP-19Close-Up.jpg

NickFaldoMizunoTP-19.jpgNickFaldoMizunoTP-19Soles.jpg

RetailMizunoTP-19.jpgRetailMizunoTP-19a.jpg

I've been mulling this idea over for years, but haven't really had the opportunity to trot it out, so here goes.

Faldo's TP-19s were not TP-19s.....they were really the Japanese MS-203 model with different markings. The MS-203 had the longest hosel of any of the Mizunos I've ever run across. Look at the iron that he's holding in the picture...how much shorter the hosel is than the full set just to the lower left. That set on the lower left, along with the sole shots are a dead giveaway...those are the MS-203 with the European market tour proven stampings.

I've played 203s for years and at one point I thought that the TP-19 was just a re-marked model of the 203, but I bought a TP-19 5 iron off Ebay last year just to compare, and they aren't quite the same. Very similar, but with some very subtle design changes. The overall design motif is there, but they're different.

Interestingly, the Mizuno Super-11 looks similar to both, and is a slightly different version as well, with a really unusual amount of sole grind and shaping.

I've owned 10 different models of Mizuno irons from the various markets, and in my seriously range rat opinion, the MS-203 stands head and shoulders above the rest of them for the way the ball feels at impact.

Below is a couple of pictures of Nick Faldo's Mizuno TP-19 irons. They were different from the released retail version as shown at the very bottom with there being no TP-19 stamping visible on the side of the hosel, his had TP-19 NF stamped on the back of each hosel and his also came with the bold solid 'MP style' numbering on the sole rather than the outlined European style numbering which was present on most TP models.

FaldoTP-19Close-Up.jpg

NickFaldoMizunoTP-19.jpgNickFaldoMizunoTP-19Soles.jpg

RetailMizunoTP-19.jpgRetailMizunoTP-19a.jpg

I've been mulling this idea over for years, but haven't really had the opportunity to trot it out, so here goes.

Faldo's TP-19s were not TP-19s.....they were really the Japanese MS-203 model with different markings. The MS-203 had the longest hosel of any of the Mizunos I've ever run across. Look at the iron that he's holding in the picture...how much shorter the hosel is than the full set just to the lower left. That set on the lower left, along with the sole shots are a dead giveaway...those are the MS-203 with the European market tour proven stampings.

I've played 203s for years and at one point I thought that the TP-19 was just a re-marked model of the 203, but I bought a TP-19 5 iron off Ebay last year just to compare, and they aren't quite the same. Very similar, but with some very subtle design changes. The overall design motif is there, but they're different.

Interestingly, the Mizuno Super-11 looks similar to both, and is a slightly different version as well, with a really unusual amount of sole grind and shaping.

I've owned 10 different models of Mizuno irons from the various markets, and in my seriously range rat opinion, the MS-203 stands head and shoulders above the rest of them for the way the ball feels at impact.

Many thanks for the interesting information as I can totally relate to what you are saying and have actually heard this theory before that they were basically the Japanese MS-203's which were normally satin basically chromed up and stamped as TP-19's. Therefore it had some relation to the European market in line with what was being released there, the TP-19's.

This would explain the solid type sole numbering and also the difference in head shape which is very noticible as I play the TP-19's and they do look a different shape to his.

The only strange thing now which I never noticed before but since we are all now staring at hosels is why would the one he is holding in the photo be different to the ones shown directly below with the longer hosels since they are both actually his clubs !?

Thanks again for posting !

I bet the promotional photo was with the production version of the Euro-market TP-19. He was so influential at that stage that he could have had about anything he wanted. He may well have had sets of the "prototype" TP-19, if you could refer to the MS-203 that way, and later had sets of the production version of the TP-19. But after looking at the photos of the set below, they just look completely familiar to me as the MS-203. The short irons on the 203s were really deep in the heel, and the longer irons starting with the 7 were a little more traditional looking.

The thing that really amazes me about Mizuno over the years is that they had such a huge variety of forged models, especially in the Japan market. Many models had similar design characteristics, yet each were different in some aspect.

I think that the 203 has such a unique feel to me because of the long hosel. Mine had a hosel depth of almost 1.75 inches, much deeper than you find on many modern irons. Over the years I have come to think that has something to do with the fabulous trajectory they produce and the way they feel at impact.

I've made 15 sets of irons, maybe more, in the last few years to identical specs to my 203s, and I just haven't found a set that feels as good. But the short hosel, short hosel depth irons really feel off to me in general. I was REALLY lucky last year to have found a Japan based Ebayer who found a pristine set of MS 203s last fall.

Very interesting stuff and logical, thank you NPVWhiz ! Not sure that the one he is holding is a production model TP-19 though as it appears to be alot more compact with softer lines especially around the toe and it does not have the stamping on the side of the hosel like retail version !?

I have attached some photos below comparing the MS-203 and the TP-19's so other readers can see what we are actually talking about.

MS-203a.jpg

TP-19b.jpg

MS203.jpg

MS203a.jpg

Faldo's Irons below

MizunoTP19NF3.jpg

TP-19Line-1.jpg

I think the real answer to this iron mystery is that Faldo's Mizuno irons were not MS-203's and not actually TP-19's, well not the production model anyway. They were obviously an iron knocked up by Mizuno especially for him with his input, grinds, shape and look which was coincidently similar and could have in fact been based on the already manufactured MS-203 irons. His iron was then stamped with a Tour Proven stamping in the most prominent place and one that had never been used before on any of their straight muscle production blades (directly on the back of the muscle) and then named it TP-19 in line with what was going to be their latest TP offering. This was then later produced and released to the European market in conjunction with their newest and biggest signing Faldo who being considered as the number one player in the world using a set of their irons and now readily available to the public. I can remember when I first saw him using them, everyone wanted a set and they were the first TP model to be released for some while as their existing models had been around for a while. This TP-19 production model looked very similar to Faldo's in where the Tour Proven stamping was located and the overall shape and finish but on closer inspection were actually very different.

In history, every Mizuno iron he used prior to these personalised TP-19's were basically prototype or customised what with the blank TP-9's used in 1989 and the blank TN-87's used in 1990 and he wasn't even a contracted staff player back then and since his departure from Mizuno they have been different again, as below with a set of MP-33's without the 'Grain Flow Forged' stamping on the neck and his PW which looks like an MP-29 model in shape but just has the Tour Proven style 'M' stamped on the muscle. I'm sure that they too are very different from the production MP-33's and MP-29 PW in both shape and design.

To answer why the iron he is holding in the picture appears different to the set shown directly below, I believe that the lower photo is of a very early set of these so called TP-19's which do appear to be more MS-203 shaped and the top photo is definitely a good few years later. Chances are is that the design may have been tweaked over the years, shortening the hosel, thinning the sole or whatever the other requested changes may have been just creating a slightly different appearance and shape preference for his swing but were still kept visually as a TP-19 as it was the model initially released by Mizuno when he became a contracted staff player as the 'Faldo Blade' made especially for him and gave us mortals an opportunity of owning as well.

FaldoMP-33-1.jpg

FaldoMP-29-2.jpg

[quote name='kiwidave' post='2140004' date='Dec 23 2009, 08:16 AM']He played a driver with no loft at St Andrews? That would be a cool driver too see.[/quote]
I'm pretty sure that this has been discussed before and is seen as possibly a slight exageration with it actually being closer to 7 or 8 degrees !?

It would be nice to hear further some information or details on it !?

Nick was always a blade player and apart from a set of Spaldings when he first turned pro (which he ground to his specs himself) he always used Mizuno (even when he was with Wilson). He used various different models over the years as stated above. For a short period towards the end of his time with Mizuno, Nick even had spells with the T-Zoid Pro and T-Zoid True irons. He used to use a Wilson sand wedge (with 4 port holes in the back) until Mizuno released the Faldo line of wedges.

Mizuno used to have a clubmaker called Turbo who personally ground all of Nick's clubs for him during the late 80's / early 90's. As Jebb rightly said, Nick used a Macgregor wooden driver and Mizuno Hot Metal 3 wood up until the point when Mizuno released the T-Zoid range. He then went on to use the T-Zoid T3 woods (notably at his Masters win in 1996). He also used a 5 wood that week but because of the difference in lofts compared to modern clubs, he still carried the 2 iron.

Nick then had a short spell with Adams in the late 90's. They spent a fortune getting him and even released their own line of Faldo wedges and a Faldo driver (which I owned, it was rubbish) though he still had Mizuno irons in the bag. He then had a break before joining Nike where as someone pointed out, he used the Pro-Combo irons. I read in an article that he left one of these companies because they were forcing him to use a driver that he didn't like. Not sure who it is though.

Since then he's played whatever he wants (MP-60's, i3 blades, TM TP's etc). He said he liked to use Ping because he could phone them from home and they would deliver exactly what he wanted the following day.

I've heard both said about the TPA putter that he used to use. I don't think anyone's sure whether it was a Taylor Made or Wilson. He also used the Ping B60 to good affect for some years but most notibly, the Odyssey Rossie Dual Force was possibly the one he's most famous for. I've heard people from Odyssey say that they don't know where they'd be without the sales boom that came from Nick's wins with that putter. It was shortly after this that Callaway bought Odyssey. All he asked of them was to make him a gold one like Ping did when he won with the B60.

Not quite true.

When Faldo's game went south in the mid eighties and he lost his contracts Glynwed engineering etc he played with a set of Be copper Pings for many months In fact he played for England at the Dunhill team championship with a blank bag with Pings in it .

Faldo also won majors using a Mizuno Driver which is in the Golf Museum in St Andrews. Regarding his putter it was a Taylor Made which Wilson bought the copyright to later

Based on this quote earlier in the thread I thought it would be worth a crack to give the British Golf Museum a call but unfortunately they confirmed that they do not have any of his drivers currently in their collection. Only item they mentioned was his blue Pringle polo shirt that he wore when he won at Muirfied in 1992.

Faldo1992a.jpg

Faldo1992.jpg

Here is a photo of Faldo using a Mizuno TP-522 (52°) Pitching Wedge made out of Aluminum Bronze which he referred to as his 'middle softest wedge'. As you can make out he had three large portholes drilled out of the back which were then filled with lead adding weight. He used this periodically throughout the early nineties substituting the lob wedge to keep a three wedge combination in play out of four available options as listed below depending on the respective course yardages.

This information was quoted in one of his instructional videos so you could say it was 'straight from the horse's mouth'.

Standard PW (49°) = 125 yards

Middle Wedge (52°) = 110 yards

Sand Wedge (55°) = 95 yards

Lob Wedge (60°) = 75 yards

FaldoTP-522Wedge.jpg

A production Mizuno TP-522 Pitching Wedge.

MizunoTP-522.jpg

[quote name='CNCSQUARED' post='2143140' date='Dec 25 2009, 06:51 AM']GET ME A BOX OF REXTAR GOLF BALLS!!![/quote]

OMG - Bridgestone Rextar Pro Model's.

Those things used to come with a length of elastic attatched ! First ball i ever got some reasonably controlled and genuine backspin with. Might come in handy again with the new groove rule......

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Ohhh your such a tease :good:

Exactly as i remember them.Even the packaging had class. I can recall now my dad buying me two dozen for a Birthday present,and the anticipation in waiting for them to come (Mail order).

I had my TP-19's in the Wilson Staff bag then too.I was such a wanna-be !

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

[quote name='sevenfourate' post='2143193' date='Dec 25 2009, 06:02 AM']Ohhh your such a tease :good:

Exactly as i remember them.Even the packaging had class. I can recall now my dad buying me two dozen for a Birthday present,and the anticipation in waiting for them to come (Mail order).

I had my TP-19's in the Wilson Staff bag then too.I was such a wanna-be ![/quote]

So I wasn't alone...
As a kid I had the the TP-9's, Mizuno bag (the big one), and of course Rextar golf balls.
The clubs were too difficult, the balls went to short and that bag was a b#tch to carry around. You never listen to your parents as a kid... Finally when I came to my senses I switched clubs and to a lighter bag and my index dropped to 1. Only positive is you really learn to hit the irons when you start with forged stuff.

Faldo won the 1996 US Masters using the Bridgestone Precept Tour Double Cover ball which was actually the world's first four piece golf ball.

PreceptTour.jpgPreceptTour1.jpg

He then changed to the Precept MC Tour Premium ball in 1999 which was the world's first multi-layered three piece urethane covered golf ball.

PreceptMC.jpgPreceptMC1.jpg

His golf balls all seem to have a red dot?

I remember seeing this way back in 89 at the PGA Championship at Kemper Lakes.

/lead

Faldo won the 1996 US Masters using the Bridgestone Precept Tour Double Cover ball which was actually the world's first four piece golf ball.

PreceptTour1.jpgPreceptTour.jpg

/lead

I've got a couple of his golf balls in my collection and I must admit they don't have any red dots present but he does seem to mark a hole probably with a pencil in the middle of the 'O' in 'FALDO' as shown above on the Precept Tour ball. I know you have to identify your own ball but surely one with your name printed on and the unusual number eleven is enough without having to create holes and mark with red dots !?!

PreceptTour1.jpgPreceptTour.jpg

/lead

I've got a couple of his golf balls in my collection and I must admit they don't have any red dots present but he does seem to mark a hole probably with a pencil in the middle of the 'O' in 'FALDO' as shown above on the Precept Tour ball. I know you have to identify your own ball but surely one with your name printed on and the unusual number eleven is enough without having to create holes and mark with red dots !?!

Yeah your right:)

Perhaps he switched the "ID" from time to time. I remeber Fanny sometimes using a regular pencil to mark the ball.