+1/2" in irons. What about wedges?

Gentry3 ·  
Gentry3Gentry3 Members  14WRX Points: 0Posts: 14
<div class="IPBDescription">standard or + length?</div>If your irons are longer than standard, are you playing longer wedges as well? I play Srixon i 701 tours at +1/2". Should I consider plugging my wedges as well, or just play them standard? The 701 PW is 46, and my CG 14 wedges are 50, 56, and 60.<br />
<br />
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Posted:

Comments

• odshot68odshot68 MIMembers  8098WRX Points: 221Handicap: +.7Posts: 8,098 Titanium Tees
    I play my irons at +1" and my wedges are the same with the same shaft...I much prefer it this way. Some pros play ever iron below a 9 iron and all their wedges at the same length.
    Posted:

Titleist TS3 10.5 Project x HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60X
    Titleist TS2 13.5 & 18 Tensei AV Blue 65X
    Mizuno MP20 HMB #3 Steelfiber 110 Stiff
    Mizuno MP 20 5-PW DGS300
    Vokey SM8 Black 50.12F DGS200
    Callaway Jaws MD5 Tour Grey 58W DG 115 S200
    Callaway PM Grind 19 Tour Grey 64 KBS Hi Rev 2.0
    Odyssey Triple Track Double Wide Flow Putter

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • just372just372 Members  482WRX Points: 62Posts: 482 Greens
    it took me one round playing with +3/4" irons and std wedges to change that. I think you will find the same thing, that the length of all your irons and wedges should work off the same progression.
    Posted:
  • HsteadHstead Members  6347WRX Points: 197Posts: 6,347 Titanium Tees
    I would say that it is more important for your wedges to be longer than the long irons or woods. The length is very important so that your posture is correct. If you take a short club like a wedge, and you really need a longer shaft, then it will be more exaggerated with the wedge. <br />
    <br />
    The problem I had, and I play +1/2", is that wedges get really heavy at that length. The swing weight ends up being E0 to E3. I recently bought Scratch wedges and they hand picked the heads to make the swing weights match my clubs better, D5, at the added length. Wedges with the correct swing weight are much better for touch shots than the sledge hammers I have been swinging for over a dozen years. This is why I love Scratch wedges so much.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5 Graphite Design BB 70X
    Callaway Epic Subzero 15* Diamana D+
    Titleist 818 H1
    Mizuno 919 Tour 6-P, 5 Forged, 4 Hot Metal KBS Tour X
    Titleist TVD 56* and 60* V Grind S400
    Edel
    Snell
  • Barry72Barry72 Members  99WRX Points: 0Posts: 99
    My irons are 1" longer than standard with everything from my wedge to 58 the same length, partly due to my height and bad back but even if my back was better now I wouldn't change that setup.<br />
    <br />
    Barry.
    Posted:
  • SocratesSocrates Warning Points 1+ WinnipegClubWRX  10208WRX Points: 1,110Handicap: 4ishPosts: 10,208 ClubWRX
    Definitely don't use std length if all your others are over-length. All my wedges are the same length (PW, 50, 56, 60) 35.5". Tried shorter wedges didn't like the feel and if i need to I can always choke down.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
    MCC Align Midsize

• odshot68odshot68 MIMembers  8098WRX Points: 221Handicap: +.7Posts: 8,098 Titanium Tees
    Hstead wrote on Dec 23 2009, 04&#58;58 PM:
    I would say that it is more important for your wedges to be longer than the long irons or woods. The length is very important so that your posture is correct. If you take a short club like a wedge, and you really need a longer shaft, then it will be more exaggerated with the wedge. <br />
    <br />
    The problem I had, and I play +1/2", is that wedges get really heavy at that length. The swing weight ends up being E0 to E3. I recently bought Scratch wedges and they hand picked the heads to make the swing weights match my clubs better, D5, at the added length. Wedges with the correct swing weight are much better for touch shots than the sledge hammers I have been swinging for over a dozen years. This is why I love Scratch wedges so much.
    <br />
    <br />
    Good point. I play at +1" so to keep off the weight I play the DG S300 SL..same club as the S300 but lighter so the extra length keeps weight down. IMO they play the same as standard DG shafts.
    Posted:

Titleist TS3 10.5 Project x HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60X
    Titleist TS2 13.5 & 18 Tensei AV Blue 65X
    Mizuno MP20 HMB #3 Steelfiber 110 Stiff
    Mizuno MP 20 5-PW DGS300
    Vokey SM8 Black 50.12F DGS200
    Callaway Jaws MD5 Tour Grey 58W DG 115 S200
    Callaway PM Grind 19 Tour Grey 64 KBS Hi Rev 2.0
    Odyssey Triple Track Double Wide Flow Putter

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • racolonracolon Team U.D. Members  570WRX Points: 0Posts: 570
    My irons are + 1/2 inch longer and my 2 wedges as well.<br />
    With the Irons they were custom order from Taylormade and they all came perfectly at D2 SW, my wedges I bought them standard and added the 1/2 extension, SW was all messed up, my clubmaker added 2 layers of lead tape at the grip area, used the stock grip and then they came back D5 after all the process, same as stock. <br />
    <br />
    What I love about the 1/2 longer shafts is the added distance on every club.
    Posted:
  • feetupfeetup Members  934WRX Points: 1Handicap: 6.5Posts: 934 Golden Tee
    +1/2" on the entire bag here, 3-LW. The change in the wedge lengths has helped with the short game tremendously.
    Posted:
    BB DBD 9 Rogue

BBA 16 Rogue

XHP 18* Fubuki 415

MP-64/MP-4 4-PW Px 5.5

Bettinardi SS DASS 8

SM5 50, 54, 58 Px 5.5
    B330S GHIN 6.0
  • WhiZWhiZ Members  632WRX Points: 55Posts: 632 Golden Tee
    Kept the driver at 45" but everything else is +1/2"<br />
    <br />
    It sucks a bit when you're buying clubs cause you have to go custom all the time or get it re-shafted, but I'll never go back to standard length again. If it's what you're fitted for, use it.<br />
    <br />
    WhiZ
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.