2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How skewed am I?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know man, sounds like you are constantly making excuses for your scores. You say you shoot in the 70's on the regular, do you have a handicap card to show that? Do you keep your stats? I am asking because I fing it hard to believe that you can post many rounds in the 70's but the scores you posted on here were far from. Not questioning your integrity, just saying if you need help, first step is being totally honest about your game. I know you say your a 4 but........ sounds like a stretch, I am a 6, and I may post 90+ 2-3 times at most over the course of a season. I shoot 76-82 on normal days and 84-88 on very bad ones, the 90's usually come from getting so frustrated and not caring.

A friend of mine couldnt make d1 golf in this area and he was playing to a +1 his senior year. Awesome player, just not very consistant. He could post 64 or 74. He hit the ball around 280 and was super solid with his irons. With that said, you have a long way to go. He used to practice all day every day. He showed up at the course at 8, played 9, hit balls for hours, putted for hours, played 18, hit some more balls, then worked at the range till 10 at night. He did this almost every day. Thats what it takes.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

Yeah no offense, but last time you were blaming horrible kicks, after you posted your spree about being in a huge national tournament. I remember you made a whole thread and everything. Like honestly a quad to shoot 87 or whatever isn't even that much.
I was 11 over through 2 holes and shot 83 in a tournament.
By through 2 holes, i don't mean the first two, i mean two holes over the 18.

[quote name='pinhigh27' post='2127343' date='Dec 15 2009, 07:05 PM']Yeah no offense, but last time you were blaming horrible kicks, after you posted your spree about being in a huge national tournament. I remember you made a whole thread and everything. Like honestly a quad to shoot 87 or whatever isn't even that much.
I was 11 over through 2 holes and shot 83 in a tournament.
By through 2 holes, i don't mean the first two, i mean two holes over the 18.[/quote]

I quoted myself so you'd read that. Check the scores from the AJGA kids. There are kids that shoot like 74, that had like 2 quads and still get 4 birdies and fight back. It seems to me like the majority of AGJA kids are like even or under 90 percent of the time, then maybe one or two wholes they completely blow and quad or more. Happens all the time, when your playing courses that are crazy.

just do what i did. take time off and don't focus on golf that much. i was playing the best golf of my life in the summer, then all of a sudden, i couldn't play in tourneys to save my life. i haven't played in a tournament in about 6 weeks, haven't been playing as much, and haven't been on this website at all. i've focused my attention on school, friends, and just having fun with life. the couple times i do go out a week, i play great and i'm probably playing better than i was this summer. i have a tournament in a few days and i feel great about the round i'm gonna play.

With only 3 or 4 GIR's you should stop shooting at targets and start shooting at the middle of the green or maybe whatever leaves you an uphill putt. Seems like you keep taking time off, stop it! Don't practice a bad swing over and over either. Go to a good teacher, spend a few hours a day for a few days and get straightend out. Do it over your Christmas break. Set a goal of shooting 72, figure out how to do it with your pro and start working. Play after the practice, don't just hit the range and leave. If you lose it on the course, work on it again the next day. It doesn't sound like money is an issue for you, wish that was the case for me, have your pro go out and play with you. Ask him what shot is called for in each situation. Ask him to teach it to you. Work hard at getting better, don't just take lessons and think it will come to you.

Practice putting 5 footers until your back is killing you. Putt in your basement, room, den, etc... Practice putting at the practice green. Practice making a good stroke. Read the Jan. 2010 issue of Golf Magazine, the article by Dave Stockton. Read about how to keep the ball on the face as long as possible, not just hit it away. (Page 77, tip 4) Learn your putting rythm and get used to the tempo. Check out page 104 about your putting tempo.

Practice chipping, bump and runs are WAY more important than flops and check shots. It's nice to be able to spin a ball, but I see way too many young amateurs trying to fly the ball to the hole and try to check it up. You never know how it will bounce/spin, you will have to make a ton of long par putts if you can't roll it inside 3 feet with a chip from around the green.

You seem to be a decent driver of the ball. Try to start placing your tee shot, target golf can be effective if you're good enough in that area. Hit the shot that opens up the hole. What's the best angle into the green to leave a short uphill putt?

Take notes in your practice round and stick to them. I have told myself in my notes to hit 3 wood and take out a driver because I feel confident and end up in trouble. Trust your decision you made the day before when you mind was clear.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

• 2 weeks later...

I tried out for a top 5 D2 school this fall I finished 2nd out of 11-12 players walking on and didn't make the team, walking on to any top school is TOUGH let alone a a top D1. Mind you I'm a +1 handicap, coach told me any other school I would be on the team, BUT because all the spots are taken by kids on scholarship there is only one place left on the team, and said "sorry" and thats it, pretty harsh but you have to SHINE in try outs, coach's hate try outs and really can care less since they have all their spots filled a year ahead of time.
Don't be afraid to leave teachers only you know what's best for you and you are the one paying, it doesn't sound like your improving, any time i go though a swing change with my coach I basically give myself 2-3 of bad play getting used to it though. If you want it bad enough basically you gotta give up your social and make golf your job and practice every single day like I do, yeah you ARE going to get burn out but when your tourneys come around at least you know you are the best you can be at the time.
Don't give up keep fighting if anyone doubt's you, use as motivation to practice more. Good luck dude.

My gf was not great high school golfer but managed to play at one the top d2 or d3 school for womens golf in the country (Barry University in Miami). I was a two sport player baseball and golf at a junior college and then a d3 and then got to play pro baseball and do the pgm program. You know what you need to do. Hit more fairways and it seems to me you have to hit more greens. You still have another year. Also my advice and I found this out, as much as your dad may not like it. Tell him to sshhhh when you are between the ropes, its your round and you have to manage the course not him. If you feel pressure now as a junior its only gonna get worse next year. I was told by a scout for baseball after i signed the reason I didnt get drafted was because my parents were to demanding. I know golf isnt baseball but added pressure from parents sponsors whatever doesnt help the nerves

To answer your original question, you are very screwed. Those scores are awful. I am an assistant high school coach in northern California and you would not even make our traveling team and we do not have any golfers that break 80 more than once a season...30 feet of snow and only 200 kids in the school leaves a pretty shallow talent pool to draw from.

As far as shooting all of these scores in the 70's, my question is how many putts do you give yourself? How short is the course you normally play? What is the yardage difference between your casual rounds and your tournament rounds? Based on the scores you are posting, you would not even pass the PGA playing ability test which is played from the white tees and the pins are all in the center of the greens. I think you should look into trying to get onto a junior college golf team after high school, but only if you can start shooting legitimate scores in the lower 70's. When I say legitimate, I mean you play by ALL of the rules and putt out everything. You are only cheating yourself if you post false low scores to have a 4 handicap.

I hope this is not too harsh for your young eyes, but someone needed to be honest. Good luck in the future and start hitting some freaking greens for the love of God.

Chris Herrbach

Director of Golf - American Heroes Foundation

WITB:
Driver: Ping G430 LST 
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Titanium @14.25* 
Hybrid: PING G425
Irons: PING i230 4-PW 
Wedges: GW - PING Glide 3.0 50, SW Mizuno T22 54*, LW Indi TT 60*
Putter: LAB Golf LINK with Stability Tour Black shaft.

I have always said handicaps are for the sunday hacks to show their drinking buddies and their cronies how good they think they are at golf. If your really that good you let your play do the talking.

................and this coming from the guy who puts his handicap in his sig /sigh......anyways high school kids shouldnt worry about their handicap when colleges come to us asking if we have any kids that play we show them their score cards not their usga handicap cards. Show me the cards and ill believe it

I don't think most College coaches care what your GHIN# handicap is...they want to know what your scores are in ranked tournaments. Most people shoot higher scores in tournaments than their home course...but usually on a few strokes more....college coaches will focus on your events that make-up your NJGS differential.

Wow. There's a lot of bad info in here.

First of all, if your goal is to make it on tour then it doesn't matter what division you go to. Golf is an individual sport, if you're good, you're good. You don't need recognition by pro scouts b/c it's not a team sport. Also, handicaps are completely irrelevant. They are only needed for "little club tournaments" or to get into tournaments. College coaches could care less.

Also, CALM DOWN. Don't worry so much. Just play the game. Stay calm and in the present. You can't do anything about that 3 footer you missed for par...but you can birdie the next hole. And NO PUTT IS A GIMMIE. Putt everything out. You would in a tournament. I don't care if it's a foot. Believe me there's a HUGE gap between a 72 at your home course and a 72 in a tournament...a huge gap.

Swing coaches and lessons aren't everything. Take me for example, I have never had a lesson in my life and I'm almost a legit scratch golfer. Don't get too technical. Do a lot of things by feel.

And talk to college coaches. Go visit colleges. Coaches learn a lot from playing with you. Scores mean a lot, but if a coach sees talent that just isn't developed yet, he might take you anyways.

People who generalize and say that you need low 70's, AJGA, and all this other stuff are partially lying. Yes, obviously you need that if you want to go to a Top 25 Div. I school. But the fact is it all depends on what caliber the school is...divisions are merely a classification. There are plenty of top Div. III schools that could beat crappy Div. I schools. It all depends on the quality of the program. And in your case, with those scores...I'd be happy to get in any NCAA division school.

That being said, just work hard man. Don't make excuses. Everyone gets bad breaks and has bad holes. The great golfers get past that and learn from those mistakes. And go and talk to coaches - LOTS. Don't focus so much on college - focus on each tournament, each round, each hole, and each shot. Practice until you literally CAN'T anymore. Get there the earliest and leave the latest. The best are the best b/c they practice the most and have the best work ethic. You don't get anywhere on talent alone...just ask Ty Tryon.

Jer-Jer you are right, if your arent that great but KNOW you have some undevloped talent a coach may take you. Make a video of your swing on the range, playing a casual round and in a tournament; edit it make it look pretty and send it to everyone you have intrest in. If they arent knocking down your door, go beat theirs in. But if he really is only hitting 3 greens in the round any college coach who sees that will likely be scared away. Im not saying you have to hit every green but if he hits 10 out of 18 greens his scores will improve. Oh and we all have blow up holes the trick is making that blowup hole turn from a 9 to a 6. Doubles hurt but a 9 is hard to make up

[quote name='generaljhc' post='2153085' date='Dec 31 2009, 03:57 PM'][b][u]I don't think most College coaches care what your GHIN# handicap is[/u][/b]...they want to know what your scores are in ranked tournaments. Most people shoot higher scores in tournaments than their home course...but usually on a few strokes more....college coaches will focus on your events that make-up your NJGS differential.[/quote]

No interest.

Tournament stroke average and some schools want to know how often you go under 74ish from over 6900... 20%? 40%? 60%?

GPA and SAT scores are often overlooked. if grades are high, more golf coaches want you because you're Cheaper to get !

ok first of all you can do it.

there is no reason you cant do this if you can shoot 70's on an average day.

You will be able to make d-1 if you hit a substantial number of balls a day.

Dont get worried or take the stupid criticisms on board otherwise when your struggling in a comp the only thing you will be able to think about is the people who said you cant do it.

Make sure if you cant help but take there criticisms you use it as motivation.

If you put in the time and you keep your driving accuracy up and work on your iron ballstriking i have no doubts you will be shooting in the 60's in no time.

Believe in your game and develop it and you will succeed