Hogan´s Bowed Wrist

Maybe he considered leading with a raised left wrist bone, only pushing forward w/ the right hand pressure point equal to no conscious hand action? Maybe he considered conscious hand action as flipping / slapping or active rotation? Maybe he considered angle and lag retention as a guard against conscious action?

In any case, I think you hit on the real gaping hole in the book, which is not the "getting to the left side" as many have obsessed over. What could be more clear than "there needs to be enough lateral motion to shift the weight to the left side before the hips turn" paraphrase? Some may disagree this is sufficient, but it can't be argued he at least addressed it. Whereas the cup to bow transition move is never discussed.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the 4:45 mark a TGM instructor discusses this move:

http://www.lynnblakegolf.com/index.php/Vie...f-Barclays.html

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

At the 4:45 mark a TGM instructor discusses this move:

http://www.lynnblakegolf.com/index.php/Vie...f-Barclays.html

This is not exactly bowing the left wrist. He is talking about rolling the wrists which is also quite important in a crossover release if you are a swinger (TGM terminology). For rolling the wrists these are quite good videos:

Althought I am not a complete expert rolling the wrists is not the exactly same as Hogan´s type of release by bowing the wrists. If you get a bowed wrist you don´t need to rotate as much the wrist prior to impact.

Another video about this:

• 7 months later...

[quote name='hanon' date='25 May 2009 - 07:43 PM' timestamp='1243280618' post='1717455']
[quote name='hanon' post='1642678' date='Apr 20 2009, 01:48 PM']It (the Secret?) had to do with the face of the club. ... I rolled the face of the club open away from the ball. That cupped my left wrist. Coming down, the face was moving so fast I couldn't turn it over and hook. I was rotating the club like a baseball bat, and the faster I could rotate it, the more distance I got. Training myself, I would roll the face open as fast and as far as I could. With this technique, I could hit the ball straight and farther."[/quote]

Look to this sevam1´s video about the rotation of the shaft: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8xO2nN0LT0"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=o8xO2nN0LT0[/url]

Could it be the missing piece?

[/quote]

I find the above quoted video quite revealing/helpful.

I am relatively new to golf, haven't played much in the past, and haven't played for several years now and only just started taking lessons so that as I start to play regularly I actually learn properly.

Bought Hogan's 5 Lessons as it echoed what my teacher is telling me.. I like the principles, maybe I like that kind of method as I am a musician and study technique of movement as a matter of course to make the correct sound on my instrument..... Anyway......

This video seems to sum up for me (so far) the left wrist thing of supinating at impact after having a really wide open clubface at the top of swing, (cupped wrist), but only by keeping weight on the right leg and not sliding it all to the left by impact time.

I really didnt understand the supinating wrist, but this video helps by explaining some of the movement of the grip leading to the impact, along with the weight on right leg.

Cant explain much more than that, as I'm not an expert, and may contradict myself simply by not fully understanding my swing movements, BUT as I have no preconceptions about the golf swing I do think this video says a lot, the right way, about the supinating wrist.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='hanon' date='25 May 2009 - 07:43 PM' timestamp='1243280618' post='1717455']
[quote name='hanon' post='1642678' date='Apr 20 2009, 01:48 PM']It (the Secret?) had to do with the face of the club. ... I rolled the face of the club open away from the ball. That cupped my left wrist. Coming down, the face was moving so fast I couldn't turn it over and hook. I was rotating the club like a baseball bat, and the faster I could rotate it, the more distance I got. Training myself, I would roll the face open as fast and as far as I could. With this technique, I could hit the ball straight and farther."[/quote]

Look to this sevam1´s video about the rotation of the shaft: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8xO2nN0LT0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8xO2nN0LT0[/url]

Could it be the missing piece?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o8xO2nN0LT0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o8xO2nN0LT0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
[/quote]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SLIxRTcPFQ

If you keep your left wrist bowed-thereby maintaining your lag- the ball won't hook. You might yank it but it won't snap. Been working on this for a couple of years with varying levels of success. Subconsciously you think it will go left hard but it won't. Hard to trust it that is for sure.
Video my instructor shows me indicates that Hogan went from cupped at top to bowed almost immediately as his downswing started. Might be the result of the rapid change in direction he had, I don't know but makes some sense to me.

[quote name='AltusBeliever' date='30 January 2010 - 03:41 PM' timestamp='1264866079' post='2214174']
If you keep your left wrist bowed-thereby maintaining your lag- the ball won't hook. You might yank it but it won't snap. Been working on this for a couple of years with varying levels of success. Subconsciously you think it will go left hard but it won't. Hard to trust it that is for sure.
Video my instructor shows me indicates that Hogan went from cupped at top to bowed almost immediately as his downswing started. Might be the result of the rapid change in direction he had, I don't know but makes some sense to me.
[/quote]

Unfortunately for your instuctor he's plain wrong. The last thing Hogan's supposed to do is to release the LH cup too early.

[attachment=531296:RHfront.png]

Cheers

I was speaking of the cupped left wrist going to bowed-not the right. In my looking at it the left bows and the right cups and stays that way thru impact, thereby maintaining the lag.
In the video I have looked at you can see the face angle change from toe down (open/cupped) to square and the left wrist bowed, or at least it looks that way. I agree that the photo you post shows what appears to be a cupped left wrist well into the downswing which would mean he bows it (turns to knuckles under I guess) very quickly and in a short period of time. I would like to see the clubface and that would answer any debate.

[quote name='AltusBeliever' date='30 January 2010 - 07:32 PM' timestamp='1264879956' post='2214671']
I was speaking of the cupped left wrist going to bowed-not the right. In my looking at it the left bows and the right cups and stays that way thru impact, thereby maintaining the lag.
In the video I have looked at you can see the face angle change from toe down (open/cupped) to square and the left wrist bowed, or at least it looks that way. I agree that the photo you post shows what appears to be a cupped left wrist well into the downswing which would mean he bows it (turns to knuckles under I guess) very quickly and in a short period of time. I would like to see the clubface and that would answer any debate.
[/quote]

I apologize for my mistake - of course, I meant LH cup (already ammended my post). Talking about losing the cup of the RH would be somehow silly - at least, until impact.
What is interesting - with post-secret Hogan's grip one can maintan cups in both hands...as you excellently noticed.

Cheers

[quote name='golfbulldog' date='30 January 2010 - 10:34 PM' timestamp='1264854841' post='2213917']

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SLIxRTcPFQ"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0SLIxRTcPFQ[/url]
[/quote]
Nice video....surely the real secret is how to get to a point in the swing whereby that is the only way to strike the Golf ball.

[quote name='Dariusz J.' date='30 January 2010 - 11:14 PM' timestamp='1264857281' post='2213948']
Great vid, GB. It surely was one of Hogan's secrets. Moreover, if this is a subconscious move - the man was even a bigger genius than we all think.

Cheers
[/quote]
I believe it's a subconscious one, absolutely. The result however of some serious intent to get into a position where that move is subconscious and automatic.

[quote name='Siteseer2' date='31 January 2010 - 08:01 AM' timestamp='1264888880' post='2214996']
One video frame difference (about 4 millisec frames)...

[attachment=531629:Hogfaceang1.JPEG]
[attachment=531630:HogFaceang2.JPEG]

goes from open to closed ...on video, its even more pronounced
[/quote]

So..........what? You saying that he bowed his wrist at the top of the swing? What's the point SS2?
I would argue that it happens as a 'result of' the change in direction of the 'club'....in spite of what 'he' is doing, not as a 'result of'.

[quote name='Dariusz J.' date='30 January 2010 - 08:46 PM' timestamp='1264884369' post='2214852']
[quote name='AltusBeliever' date='30 January 2010 - 07:32 PM' timestamp='1264879956' post='2214671']
[/quote]

I apologize for my mistake - of course, I meant LH cup (already ammended my post). Talking about losing the cup of the RH would be somehow silly - at least, until impact.
What is interesting - with post-secret Hogan's grip one can maintan cups in both hands...as you excellently noticed.

Cheers
[/quote]

[quote name='Siteseer2' date='30 January 2010 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1264888880' post='2214996']
One video frame difference (about 4 millisec frames)...

[attachment=531629:Hogfaceang1.JPEG]
[attachment=531630:HogFaceang2.JPEG]

goes from open to closed ...on video, its even more pronounced
[/quote]

In this video he lays the club off at the top of the backswing which in itself appears to change the clubface angle as siteseers images show...but you can do this by altering the plane of the left arm rather than going from cupped to bowed in transition.
http://www.youtube.com/user/golfbulldog#p/u/31/dy4axvi_ZE4

In my video clip the cup goes to bowed at the level of the hands approaching hip height. In 5 lessons (pg 93 my edition) Hogan says "what do the hands do? The answer is they only do nothing active until after the arms have moved on the downswing to a position just above the level of the hips...blah blah blah...free ride...etc"

This level of hands just above hips is a key position/alignment for Hogan - look at 5 lessons - it is the second image in the series of downswing(second part of the swing) drawings.

http://www.youtube.com/user/golfbulldog#p/u/3/ep-qidwgCII

Look at Sadlowski in the close up slo mo...really cupped / strong grip...

That clubface clearly goes from toe down to closed--in a milli--second...and, if you use the bleachers and person in the background as a point of reference, there is no change in left arm or plane angle...

Hogan was a shotmaker... WHEN he took that cup out; when he PUT it in; when he released it; and HOW he released it; were all part of his shotmaking...that's the way I'm seeing it... and unless you knew his intention on THAT shot--too hard to extrapolate as to his action from any given photo or video...

I absolutely agree with your thoughts there, that's why I consider it pointless to pour over stills and focus on positions......I would add that there are other factors involved in shot-making other than the conscious manipulation of the hands that have a direct bearing on how cupped your wrist can be and how long that cup can be maintained/released....whether consciously or not.

[quote name='martinez' date='30 January 2010 - 08:19 PM' timestamp='1264900796' post='2215453']
I absolutely agree with your thoughts there, that's why I consider it pointless to pour over stills and focus on positions......I would add that there are other factors involved in shot-making other than the conscious manipulation of the hands that have a direct bearing on how cupped your wrist can be and how long that cup can be maintained/released....whether consciously or not.
[/quote]
You know, M...that's the enigma...that darn cup of the left wrist...HE thought it was important to his shotmaking ability...which would infer that there was conscious manipulation going on at some level, and in some quantum...

[quote name='martinez' date='30 January 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1264904118' post='2215592']
I understand, I don't see it as an enigma anymore, I see it as [size="2"][b]he consciously cupped the crap out of it every time[/b][/size], then depending on what else was going on......whatever shot he was consciously intending to hit, how he used his body, it did what it did from transition onwards.
[/quote]
Not what he said...in '55 Life Article, and others, he said he ONLY used it on certain shots...he estimated 80% of the time

[quote name='Siteseer2' date='31 January 2010 - 12:19 PM' timestamp='1264904378' post='2215600']
[quote name='martinez' date='30 January 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1264904118' post='2215592']
I understand, I don't see it as an enigma anymore, I see it as [size="2"][b]he consciously cupped the crap out of it every time[/b][/size], then depending on what else was going on......whatever shot he was consciously intending to hit, how he used his body, it did what it did from transition onwards.
[/quote]
Not what he said...in '55 Life Article, and others, he said he ONLY used it on certain shots...he estimated 80% of the time
[/quote]
Ok then. :)

[quote name='martinez' date='30 January 2010 - 11:03 PM' timestamp='1264910620' post='2215816']
[quote name='Siteseer2' date='31 January 2010 - 12:19 PM' timestamp='1264904378' post='2215600']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Ok then. :)
[/quote]
LOL...see, the way I'm putting this together is that the guys back then THOUGHT the ball started on the path, and curved to the face...so there WAS emphasis on shaping shots with the hands....now, I never talked to Hogan...but I did talk to Snead, face-to-face on this very point...he believed you could control the ball with the face... true, he felt big muscles made it more consistent, but there DEFINITELY was hand action as part of the equation in shaping shots, even using the big muscles... In TGM parlance, the differences in face caused by angled hinging and horizontal hinging...
So, with Hogan, I sort this out by believing the cup---when he put it in, and how he took it out played a significant role in his shotmaking. HOW, he made it work so seamlessly...well, I write that off to extreme talent and relentless practice...

[quote name='Dariusz J.' date='30 January 2010 - 03:46 PM' timestamp='1264884369' post='2214852']
[/quote]

Cheers
[/quote]

Dariusz I cant agree with this ...Hogans grip is not your biok grip nor does he have left wrist bent or cupped with the right wrist bent at the same time....how is it possible to have a bent left wrist ( cupped) halfway down and have the right wrist bent without your hands spreading off the grip like a butterfly...hang on thats the biok grip....joking...dont forget Hogan was pitch elbow.....pitch...get the pitchure
Check out that 5 lessons pic on the other page...halfway down

Correct me if I am wrong here, but to clarify a few points.....
1. Hogan never talked about cuping the wirst in 5 lessons, although the drawings of him showed a cupped wrist at the top of the swing.
2. Hogan only talked about the cup in the LIfe Mag article when discussing the secret
3. He said in the Life article the secret would probably wreck the swing of a novice player, it was an anti hook move
4. He stated in 5 Lessons that the hands do nothing but hold on, and that hand action is valuable only to accomplished players.

So if you cup the wrist to effectivly open the face, you hold your angle coming down(or dont release it) till hip high you will probably hit the ball dead right. However if you hold your lag with a cupped wirst and then release your hands from hip high as hard as you can you will get the controlled anti hook shot Hogan was seeking with plenty of extra power. 3 right hands! Couple that with keeping the upper arms connected to the chest as he describes and rotate through....... everything else is just over analyzing.

So the question is did Hogan consciencly fire his hands at the bottom?, or was it automated? My guess is that he consciencly cupped the wrist going back to hit the fade, and then either consciencly fired his hands at the bottom, or they were so educated through hours of practice he just did it with the knowledge of knowing that he would not snap hook it because of the cup.

Cup =fade
no cup, less of a cup =draw

JMO.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='eightiron' date='31 January 2010 - 02:47 PM' timestamp='1264949254' post='2216421']Dariusz I cant agree with this ...Hogans grip is not your biok grip nor does he have left wrist bent or cupped with the right wrist bent at the same time....how is it possible to have a bent left wrist ( cupped) halfway down and have the right wrist bent without your hands spreading off the grip like a butterfly...hang on thats the biok grip....joking...dont forget Hogan was pitch elbow.....pitch...get the pitchure
[/quote]

Eight, look at this first, please:

[attachment=532046:0751-9909.jpg]
[attachment=532048:0751-9910.jpg]

The first pic shows both wrists in a slightly cupped positions (both !); the next one shows enhanced cup in the rear hand and the lead hand already bowed (the cup already released). What is even more interesting, the first pic shows a parallel releation between palms, while the other almost perpendicular - like after releasing some torque...

The drawing in '5 Lessons' showing the same phenomenon:

[attachment=532049:post-71077-1240218150-1.gif]

While I agree 100% (and always agreed to it) that Mr.Hogan's grip is not that extreme as the Bio-K grip concept, his post-secret grip is a version of merging weaker RH with stronger LH. This is crucial when talking about achieving a more perpendicular relation of both palms. At least this is what I see, for what it's worth.

Lastly, as said before, I am not a slave of those pitch/punch elbow concepts. IMO, Hogan merged pitch (early in the downswing) with punch (approaching impact). Also, I may be wrong, but this is what I see. :)

Cheers

[quote name='Dariusz J.' date='31 January 2010 - 02:01 PM' timestamp='1264964500' post='2216939']
[quote name='eightiron' date='31 January 2010 - 02:47 PM' timestamp='1264949254' post='2216421']Dariusz I cant agree with this ...Hogans grip is not your biok grip nor does he have left wrist bent or cupped with the right wrist bent at the same time....how is it possible to have a bent left wrist ( cupped) halfway down and have the right wrist bent without your hands spreading off the grip like a butterfly...hang on thats the biok grip....joking...dont forget Hogan was pitch elbow.....pitch...get the pitchure
[/quote]

Eight, look at this first, please:

[attachment=532046:0751-9909.jpg]
[attachment=532048:0751-9910.jpg]

The first pic shows both wrists in a slightly cupped positions (both !); the next one shows enhanced cup in the rear hand and the lead hand already bowed (the cup already released). What is even more interesting, the first pic shows a parallel releation between palms, while the other almost perpendicular - like after releasing some torque...

The drawing in '5 Lessons' showing the same phenomenon:

[attachment=532049:post-71077-1240218150-1.gif]

While I agree 100% (and always agreed to it) that Mr.Hogan's grip is not that extreme as the Bio-K grip concept, his post-secret grip is a version of merging weaker RH with stronger LH. This is crucial when talking about achieving a more perpendicular relation of both palms. At least this is what I see, for what it's worth.

Lastly, as said before, I am not a slave of those pitch/punch elbow concepts. IMO, Hogan merged pitch (early in the downswing) with punch (approaching impact). Also, I may be wrong, but this is what I see. :)

Cheers
[/quote]
Hogan was in pitch elbow...the whole way...
Punch elbow from the way he lays the shaft down (plane angle shift) at p4 (top of backswing) would create push draws and cf path...or, OTT with the shaft tipping out or face pulls
Look at the way he maintains external rotation of right shoulder...this is pitch elbow...
Left wrist looks pretty flat throughout...judging from the face

I would agree with Darius on the pitch to punch. The pitch is a result of the pivot and the punch is a result of the elbow leaving the hip and the left wrist supinating. There is only one way for hogans swing to work and take advantage of the pure rotation. His downswing must work off of the proper pivot, the supination must work off of the arms coming in on more rotation than gravity. When the snow gets off and I can combine my downswing theory that works off of the pivot maybe then I can have more answers.

[quote name='Siteseer2' date='31 January 2010 - 08:05 PM' timestamp='1264968308' post='2217048']Hogan was in pitch elbow...the whole way...
Punch elbow from the way he lays the shaft down (plane angle shift) at p4 (top of backswing) would create push draws and cf path...or, OTT with the shaft tipping out or face pulls
Look at the way he maintains external rotation of right shoulder...this is pitch elbow...
Left wrist looks pretty flat throughout...judging from the face
[/quote]

MAybe he was, maybe he wasn't...IMO, the most important thing is to create mechanical possibilities to start the downswing with the pitch elbow and to locate the joint as soon as possible onto the rear hip letting the humerus be parallel and the forearm perpendicular to the spine. If the rear elbow leaves the hip to go more forward in front of the body, the perfect scenario described above ruins. The "late" punch elbow lets to approach impact without ruining it. Observe, that Hogan's rear elbow does not move forward more than necessary and stays on the hip - that's why I said "pitch-to-punch".
Lastly, the very change in the lead wrist from cup to bow occurs when "pitch becomes punch", since this very process somehow makes the rear elbow stop moving forward.

I will not defend this theory over dead bodies though since pitch/punch elbow concepts belong rather to microscale that is not of my primary interest when digesting the nuances of the human swing motion. :)

Cheers

P.S. Supercharger, I will await with anxiety your theories on Hogan. Seems you know your stuff well.