2010 Scratch Golf

easyyy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Golfingbanker' date='30 January 2010 - 07:34 PM' timestamp='1264898077' post='2215344']
[quote name='307golf' date='30 January 2010 - 05:32 PM' timestamp='1264894322' post='2215199']
Yeah, the world needs more mass produced putters that look just like every other putter... Try to expand the mind just a bit and realize that these putters were intended to look 'rough' in that they are handmade, not mass produced.

Some people like art, flaws and all, others just want more mass produced prints which have been sanitized of any creative thought process. If I were to order a handmade putter and it looked 'perfect' and like every other putter, I'd dump it quickly. For this type of product, the beauty is in the process...
[/quote]

+1

The beauty is also in how handmade putters like this feel. To each his own.

Consider this though-McDonald's Quarter Pounders all look the same but does that mean they are the best tasting hamburger you can buy?
[/quote]

I put a lot of thought into your Hamburger analogy, and the beauty being in the feel if these putters, that made me think about a joke I heard
about fat chicks and Mopeds, they both feel good but you don't want your friends to see you with them. Looking at these hand made putters
compared to Mills or even some of the small guys, Scratch's hand made's are not in the same league as the other makers in quality, or craftsmanship.
But that is just my opinion.

'It' moved. gonna be hard to explain to the boss why I just can't get up to get that report off the printer just yet...

Haha, the one in the red shirt and black skirt is VERY NICE man_in_love.gif If I go to the golf show, I plan on marrying her with the marriage sack (hopefully people get this reference)

**testing several drivers right now** 😉
Adams XTD Ti Fairway Woods, 15* and 18* with **testing** X-Stiff Shafts
Adams XTD Ti Hybrid, 20* (set to 21*) with **testing** X-Stiff Hybrid Shaft
Adams CMB Irons, 4-PW with KBS Tour FLT Black 120 Stiff Shafts
TaylorMade Milled Grind Wedges, 52-12* (bent to 54*) and 58-12* (bent to 60*) with KBS Tour 125 Black Wedge Shafts

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 Tank, 36" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

backup: STX Sync Series 8 Putter (Red Face Insert), 35" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

[quote name='307golf' date='30 January 2010 - 06:32 PM' timestamp='1264894322' post='2215199']
Yeah, the world needs more mass produced putters that look just like every other putter... Try to expand the mind just a bit and realize that these putters were intended to look 'rough' in that they are handmade, not mass produced.

Some people like art, flaws and all, others just want more mass produced prints which have been sanitized of any creative thought process. If I were to order a handmade putter and it looked 'perfect' and like every other putter, I'd dump it quickly. For this type of product, the beauty is in the process...
[/quote]

[quote name='Golfingbanker' date='30 January 2010 - 07:34 PM' timestamp='1264898077' post='2215344']
[quote name='307golf' date='30 January 2010 - 05:32 PM' timestamp='1264894322' post='2215199']

[/quote]

+1

Consider this though-McDonald's Quarter Pounders all look the same but does that mean they are the best tasting hamburger you can buy?
[/quote]

So are you saying you don't like perfection? Cause that does not make sense at all. I just can not even believe that someone would bring stuff like that to the biggest golf show in the country for all to see. Those are not suited for gamers or a collection in my opinion. They should stay with wedges and irons and give up on the putters if that is all they got.

No I do not like Camerons or any other stuff from China but what I am saying is just because it is handmade does not make it ok for it to look like a piece of junk. There are other companies that can do Handmades that actually look nice and finished. I realize that a handmade club will look different than one milled from and CNC machine but again these shown here have nothing going for them at all even the finish looks bad. There is no way you would walk on the green with one either or put one on the putter rack at home. To bring this to a close all I am saying is if you want to come into the putter world and be competitive you need to make something better than that. As for the there irons and wedges they look ok but putters are something they should probably give up on.

+1

I put a lot of thought into your Hamburger analogy, and the beauty being in the feel if these putters, that made me think about a joke I heard

about fat chicks and Mopeds, they both feel good but you don't want your friends to see you with them. Looking at these hand made putters

compared to Mills or even some of the small guys, Scratch's hand made's are not in the same league as the other makers in quality, or craftsmanship.

Unless you have tried one of the Scratch handmade putters you can only have an opinion on how they look in the photograph, not on quality or feel. I am guessing that you have a handmade putter from Scratch?

By the way, I am sorry you had to date fat chicks...cheesy.gif

+1

Unless you have tried one of the Scratch handmade putters you can only have an opinion on how they look in the photograph, not on quality or feel. I am guessing that you have a handmade putter from Scratch?

By the way, I am sorry you had to date fat chicks...cheesy.gif

I do not have a Scratch hand made putter and I never will as long as the look like the ones pictured, however I do have several handmade putters by other putter makers and all of them feel very good and look like art work

the ones made by Scratch are not even in the same class. I do believe that the putter needs to look good as well as have a great feel, so I will never get to feel these putters because as someone else pointed out they are hideous. BTW sorry you have to eat at McDonalds

Just noticed your avatar and now realize you have a bag full of Scratch clubs, I really want to try the D.W. wedges, they are great looking and I do plan on buying some of them.

The point being they LOOK good to me so I think I will buy a couple and see how they feel. Can not say that about the putters!

boys, boys, boys.......let's all get along

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

No problem getting along, but constructive criticism is important. Not just saying, "that looks like garbage." If you want them to improve their product, tell them what you don't like. You have the owner here listening in, tell him what would make the putters better. Just spouting off because you play a different brand helps no one.

I thought the anser2 left handed looked good. I think the group pic of the 4 putters looked better than the other angles that were shot from behind. I would like to see how they look from address, which is an important factor in how a putter really looks.

The rest of the stuff looked good too.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

I think that the putters look great. Im more into the way they perform/"feel" then how they look. I know when i grind my own wedges im really more concerned about it working not if it will look pretty.

The function is there and i think that is the idea behind these handmade prototypes. To show off what can be done. Im pretty sure some of the rare Adams tour prototypes that pop up on ebay that look really funky with weigh ports or unusual shapes work rather well and i think thats how you shold look at these putters too :)

Keep up the good work

[quote name='307golf' date='30 January 2010 - 06:32 PM' timestamp='1264894322' post='2215199']
... [b]Try to expand the mind just a bit and realize that these putters were intended to look 'rough' in that they are handmade,[/b] not mass produced.
[/quote]

Guess everything I thought I knew... was wrong.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

If you put shiny black chrome on the scratch putter and do some deep face milling, it wouldn't look much different than the Byron. You can put perfume on a turd, but it is still a turd. I think Ari said it best here earlier. These are PROTOTYPES. Not production models. If you want a certain looking putter, call them. They have proved that customization is their specialty.

[quote name='cardia10' date='04 February 2010 - 07:32 AM' timestamp='1265286737' post='2226658']
If you put shiny black chrome on the scratch putter and do some deep face milling, it wouldn't look much different than the Byron. You can put perfume on a turd, but it is still a turd. I think Ari said it best here earlier. These are PROTOTYPES. Not production models. If you want a certain looking putter, call them. They have proved that customization is their specialty.
[/quote]

And who are they going to send to welding school so the next ones do not look like Turds, That is what the welds on these look like.

I think the general concensus is that there are two trains of thought here. On one track is the people that cannot understand why Scratch would bring a bunch of "handmade" prototypes to a large show when they are an unfinished product and on the other track is the people who understand that these are "unfinished" and can be milled, and sanded, and black oxide/polymer/bronzed etc...to the customers specs. I appreciate both but I can see the finished product in my mind (check out Ryan Moores flatstick for proof) and I see a piece of putting jewelry.
Maybe it wasn't a great idea to only have the unfinished product as opposed to some finished / some proto's to compare them to at the show but Ari seems to know what he is doing and is doing it well so far.
Just my $.03. :)

I would say that if a customer wanted a weld cleaned up, it wouldn't be a problem. These are obviously unfinished. I'm not good at golf or making golf clubs and I can tell the difference between mass production and hand made. If I wanted a polished up putter with some crappy inse.rt, I would gladly buy an odyssey. I'd prefer my putter to be touched by human hands, not robotic welding

I like the putters. I actually like the "rough welded" look. If I had one in my bag, It would make me feel as though it was made just for me. Keep doin your thing. Stay true to your process and love. You'll always have haters, no matter what changes you make. If we all focused on the critics, we'd never get to enjoy the positives in our lives!

Take a trip to someplace other than a golf event and see what pre-production prototypes and true prototype test objects actually look like....here is one for an example:
[attachment=535166:ferrari_430_d.jpg]

Notice it looks like s**t? that's the point.....no sense in having an experimental piece you plan on thrashing, modifying, tweaking, molesting, and god knows whatever else you plan on subjecting it to looking showroom pretty.

Those Scratch putters look like true pre-production examples to me. Unfinished...in the rough...that's the point.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21