2010 Scratch Golf

easyyy

Here's another fine example....note the Gorilla Tape holding the mirror on the half million dollar prototype Ferrari...just makes you wanna go out and buy one, huh?
[attachment=535172:ferrari-dino-002.jpg]

Some of you should finish high school, study up on design and engineering, and understand what Scratch did before you make assumptions as to why they did it.

Sorry somebody had to say it...

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='cardia10' date='04 February 2010 - 07:32 AM' timestamp='1265286737' post='2226658']
If you put shiny black chrome on the scratch putter and do some deep face milling, it wouldn't look much different than the Byron. You can put perfume on a turd, but it is still a turd. [/quote]

I didn't think they were [u]that[/u] bad, but you do have a point.

edit:
If you don't see the difference between a workbench (or a test track) and a showroom floor, send Ari your resume. And if Ferrari ever brings a car like that to an Expo - for any reason whatsoever - I'll know you've found work.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

[quote name='DL5treez' date='04 February 2010 - 10:56 PM' timestamp='1265345775' post='2228633']

Some of you should finish high school, study up on design and engineering, and understand what Scratch did before you make assumptions as to why they did it.

[/quote]

I'm with him! Well said. It's a niche market - everyone deal with it.

[quote name='DL5treez' date='04 February 2010 - 11:56 PM' timestamp='1265345775' post='2228633']
Here's another fine example....note the Gorilla Tape holding the mirror on the half million dollar prototype Ferrari...just makes you wanna go out and buy one, huh?

[/quote]

Actually you might need to study up just a little your self the reason the Black Ferrari is disguised (and yes it is a disguise) is they often are working on next years or beyonds cars and pictures of the competitions newest creations are highly sought after by most car MFG. The duct tape on the mirror is not holding it on it is keeping others from copying it, I am pretty sure Byron Morgan or David Mills or anyone else for that matter have no desire to copy the Scratch putters. I am pretty sure the putters in question, are finished, plated or torched and even stamped and paint filled not a secret prototype.

As a Tifosi myself...

That Dino... Pininfarina [u]will[/u] be designing the body in the future. Ferrari slapped a shell together to test the chassis, engine, engine sound, etc. Whether you call that disguise or not is up to you. Don't read too much on what it looks like on the outside now.

I suspect the same thing might just be happening here. Scratch might just be testing what's "inside". The weight, toe hang, sweet spot, MOI even. Just all suspects. The putter being stamped, paintfilled, shafted, gripped for obvious reasons, plus you don't want someone to put one of you blank putter head in their pocket in a golf show.

Reason I say all this is Scratch Golf is capable of making some sick finishes on their wedges, they are certainly capable of doing that to their putters.

And to finish, I'm sure everyone has seen Ryan Moore's putter by now, that's also made by Jeff, and that's a very nice looking putter. A good departure of what the majority feels what a handmade putter should look like.

It's funny reading the negative posts and then looking at their WITBs. Also if you look at their previous posts you see that they have strong ties to other custom putter makers. Their is always room for criticism, but don't do it because your buddy also makes putters. All art doesn't have to be the same to be considered good. Personally, I wouldn't play some of the old school putters that some guys here love. Those old school lines just don't do it for me. Especially when Scotty made an attempt at copying them in the circa 62 series. I'm sure they're still good putters, but in my eyes, they're ugly too.

[quote name='DL5treez' date='04 February 2010 - 11:56 PM' timestamp='1265345775' post='2228633']

[/quote]

Ferrari would not have taken that car to the AUTO SHOW.

Instead they took this one.

Counter point!

[quote name='Sweet Baby J' date='05 February 2010 - 07:53 AM' timestamp='1265385189' post='2229144']
As a Tifosi myself...

That Dino... Pininfarina [u]will[/u] be designing the body in the future. Ferrari slapped a shell together to test the chassis, engine, engine sound, etc. Whether you call that disguise or not is up to you. Don't read too much on what it looks like on the outside now.

I suspect the same thing might just be happening here. Scratch might just be testing what's "inside". The weight, toe hang, sweet spot, MOI even. Just all suspects. The putter being stamped, paintfilled, shafted, gripped for obvious reasons, plus you don't want someone to put one of you blank putter head in their pocket in a golf show.

Reason I say all this is Scratch Golf is capable of making some sick finishes on their wedges, they are certainly capable of doing that to their putters.

And to finish, I'm sure everyone has seen Ryan Moore's putter by now, that's also made by Jeff, and that's a very nice looking putter. A good departure of what the majority feels what a handmade putter should look like.
[/quote]

+1 good post!

...Many "in progress" pieces show up at trade shows, and yes, I know the Dino was covered up from prying eyes, and I don't need school. Counter point taken, though.

As a "mechanical" person I can appreciate the Scratch putters, and thank them for showing their designs as sort of a real-life artistic rendition. Pretty cool.

What I don't get is how so many people think just because they see a piece at a trade show, that is is automatically the finished product?

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

[quote name='DL5treez' date='05 February 2010 - 09:15 AM' timestamp='1265390156' post='2229349']

...Many "in progress" pieces show up at trade shows, and yes, I know the Dino was covered up from prying eyes, and I don't need school. Counter point taken, though.

As a "mechanical" person I can appreciate the Scratch putters, and thank them for showing their designs as sort of a real-life artistic rendition. Pretty cool.

What I don't get is how so many people think just because they see a piece at a trade show, that is is automatically the finished product?
[/quote]

I agree.

I also believe what others are forgetting is that this show wasn't meant for the normal Joes like us. Remember, this show isn't your normal auto show, it isn't open the public. You can't just buy a ticket and go inside.

As you pointed out, it's a trade show. Just because pictures are posted on the internet, us normal Joes get to see them; at the end of the day, the products are intended for the peers in the industry to see, not us.

I have attended bike (bicycle) shows open to the public and trade shows as well. At trade shows, there are tons of 1/2 finished, work-in-progress products from small companies being shown. I guess for those that have never attended such trade show, they will never understand.

[quote name='Sweet Baby J' date='05 February 2010 - 09:36 AM' timestamp='1265391360' post='2229405']
[quote name='DL5treez' date='05 February 2010 - 09:15 AM' timestamp='1265390156' post='2229349']

[/quote]

I agree.

I also believe what others are forgetting is that this show wasn't meant for the normal Joes like us. Remember, this show isn't your normal auto show, it isn't open the public. You can't just buy a ticket and go inside.

As you pointed out, it's a trade show. Just because pictures are posted on the internet, us normal Joes get to see them; at the end of the day, the products are intended for the peers in the industry to see, not us.

I have attended bike (bicycle) shows open to the public and trade shows as well. At trade shows, there are tons of 1/2 finished, work-in-progress products from small companies being shown. I guess for those that have never attended such trade show, they will never understand.
[/quote]
:drinks: Right on, right on.

[quote name='DL5treez' date='04 February 2010 - 11:43 PM' timestamp='1265344981' post='2228605']
Take a trip to someplace other than a golf event and see what pre-production prototypes and true prototype test objects actually look like....here is one for an example:
[attachment=535166:ferrari_430_d.jpg]

Notice it looks like s**t? that's the point.....no sense in having an experimental piece you plan on thrashing, modifying, tweaking, molesting, and god knows whatever else you plan on subjecting it to looking showroom pretty.

Those Scratch putters look like true pre-production examples to me. Unfinished...in the rough...that's the point.
[/quote]

Wow that Ferrari would look great at the Detroit auto show.... Come on man that is not even a good example and Ari should have thought twice about bringing pre school level putters to the biggest golf show in the country. For all of you guys saying that these are nice I just dont see the beauty in something that looks like a lump of clay with a shaft in it.

[quote name='moose_1978' date='06 February 2010 - 06:43 AM' timestamp='1265467433' post='2231582']
Wow that Ferrari would look great at the Detroit auto show.... Come on man that is not even a good example and Ari should have thought twice about bringing pre school level putters to the biggest golf show in the country. For all of you guys saying that these are nice I just dont see the beauty in something that looks like a lump of clay with a shaft in it.
[/quote]

You missed the point...but if it weren't for this website chances are people like you and I would have never seen these pictures to begin with.

Remember, they are catering to a different audience--that show is not open to the general public.

I'm not a parrot, but thank you for the compliment. They're intelligent animals, after all...

You have expertise no doubt in arenas of sort; no doubt have been to a trade show.

Perhaps SEMA? Specialty Equipment Market Association? "All things automotive"....

Their annual show is chock full of prototype, in progress, "bare metal" pieces....most of which never show up in the general media coverage, but they are all over enthusiast sites for 'car guys.'

Just like golfwrx, an enthusiast site for 'golf guys.' Particularly a large concentration of pro-Scratch golf guys.

..but you've no doubt noticed this sort of thing at other trade shows in your arena of expertise.

Cheers

..edited for spelling

Hey guys, just back from a long trip overseas. Appreciate all the comments by everyone. Just to re-iterate, the putters were hand made prototypes not a finished retail product. They were brought for a specific reason and they fulfilled that reason exactly how we had hoped. They were brought to show a few specific people and from that we picked up a huge overseas order for them by the main person we brought them to show to. We also picked up 2 top LPGA players that are looking to use one of Jeff's putters in 2010. One is a former Major champion. I will post pics of their putters are they are done. We will continue to refine the putters and our finishing on them. Jeff also just made Ryan Moore a new prototype with a little different shape that Ryan dreamed up. Look for more pics soon.

Also 2010 Stand Bag pics coming very soon. They just did not make it to the show unfortunately. We will be offering 3 bags this year, Staff, Stand and Handmade Mackenzie Walker.

If anyone has any more questions I am always available by email at [email protected].

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

[quote name='Lagolf31' date='10 February 2010 - 04:35 PM' timestamp='1265837723' post='2241922']
Oh great. Stand bags. Just what my wallet needs. :russian_roulette:
You guys are KILLING me!
[/quote]
I'm more concerned about the MacKenzie's...

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Great seeing Don White, unfortunately I missed THE SHOW for the first time in more than a decade. I haven't seen Don since Albany GA closed down.
MCoz

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  STEALTH 2 Plus 8.0 driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

[quote name='PreppySlapCut' date='10 February 2010 - 02:44 PM' timestamp='1265838266' post='2241943']
[quote name='Lagolf31' date='10 February 2010 - 04:35 PM' timestamp='1265837723' post='2241922']
Oh great. Stand bags. Just what my wallet needs. :russian_roulette:
You guys are KILLING me!
[/quote]
I'm more concerned about the MacKenzie's...
[/quote]

Excellent point. Those are absolutely beautiful. Oh, choices...choices....