mackenzie golfbags?

I caddy and have carried them before. They are nice bags (well balanced, clubs go in and out fairly easily, light weight). The only bad thing is that the dye used to color the leather does wear off into your clothes. It seems to happen real bad when it rains. Now I've only carried the brown leather (which turned my entire shoulder red), so I can't speak of all the colors. It is a classy bag though.

I like plain and understated when it comes to my golf equipment, so it goes without saying that these bags are my cup of tea. I'm not sure I buy into the idea that having one makes you God's gift to retro style though, nor am I too keen on forking out the top side of four hundred quid for a pencil bag. I know the quality is undeniable, but that sort of money for what is, after all, a small carry bag, is a non-starter for me. I shall have to admire them from afar.

• Thanks 1

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

I like the look, but they seem to be a little impractical when compared to the more modern bags now. If you are walking, having a stand bag is very convenient in that you can just plop it down and have all of your clubs staring you in the face. Cart bags have many more pockets for storage, and if you are riding who cares how heavy it is.

Titleist TSR3 KBS Tour Driven

Titleist TSR2 5 & 7 wood KBS Tour Driven

Titleist T100 2023 4-PW KBS Tour

Titleist SM9 50°, 56°, & 60° KBS Tour

Swag Handsome One KBS GPS

I won't say I don't like these bags, but they don't fit me, I like a bigger bag with dividers and lots of pockets. I don't walk a course all the much so it wouldn't be the best bag for me in that respect. Now if I had to walk a course I knew and wanted to carry a few clubs on a hot day...I can see the use of a pencil bag. I've seen so much debate over this topic and call me crazy but what kind of bag you use might be the real last divider ( no pun intended) among golfers. We can all buy tour stuff on ebay and custom clubs, fittings, but the bags for the most part are something we can't change. Do we walk or carry? Staff bag, cart bag, ect. A thread posted a while back asked if a staff bag was pretentious for amateurs, I've yet to see one asking if my tour issue shaft, putter, and driver is too much for an amateur... ( I digress, haha. just my opinion)

[quote name='Crimson0516' date='07 February 2010 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1265590765' post='2234935']
Own both the Mackenzie Bag and the McKennon Player's Bag. Like the McKennon Player's Bag much better. Lighter, less expensive, better leather and a better guarantee. I guess my answer would be that I love that syle of bag, just prefer the Mckennon Bag over the MacKenzie Bag.
[/quote]

I see that Mike McKennon honors the Mackenzie warranty. Is there a partnership taking place, or is McKennon just doing some sly competitive strategy against their neighbor on the other end of town?

I checked out the McKennon site and was in Oswego yesterday--have to figure out a way to get a closer look @ the product.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

No clue about the partnership and I didn't notice the Mackenzie warranty mention on the McKennon site. Thanks for the heads up. No sure why someone would take a bag to another company to get repaired but there must be something to it.

I do know that McKennon tried to buy Mackenzie last year and it didn't work out. Also heard some former Mackenzie employees were at McKennon now. That either means they are are in some kind of partnership or in fierce competition. I know McKennon spent most of the last decade with Nike Golf and is quite the player. Other than that anyone would be lucky to own a bag from either company.

It's at the bottom of their guarantee page.

[i]We honor the Mackenzie Golf Bag warranty . If your Mackenzie bag is under warranty, we will repair it at no charge.[/i]

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

That's cool. McKennon did quote me two weeks for my bag and they missed the delivery date by 1 day. As per their guarantee he sent me a check for 10% of the total order which was $97. Mike called me to say he was sorry about it. They get all their leather from England and it just took too long to get here. Impressed me that he didn't make an excuse. Just told me about the guarantee and sent me a check. I hope my next one is late as well!

That's cool! If I hadn't have dropped 4 figures on a bedroom set yesterday maybe I'd order one while he's way behind and see if my luck works. lol

PS....never let a woman pick furniture.

Lust for a new Mackenzie! That is funny and it is very accurate. I meant to mention the other thing I liked about McKennon was they offered the old school headcovers with the numbers on them. Also Mike said they were working on a knit headcover with the big Pom Pom. They would be cool. He also said that they were close to bringing a waterproof leather bag to market. Not sure how that works but that would really be sweet. Also not sure if it is the "Player's Bag" style or another style

[quote name='Crimson0516' date='07 February 2010 - 09:19 PM' timestamp='1265606347' post='2235406']
Lust for a new Mackenzie! That is funny and it is very accurate. I meant to mention the other thing I liked about McKennon was they offered the old school headcovers with the numbers on them. Also Mike said they were working on a knit headcover with the big Pom Pom. They would be cool. He also said that they were close to bringing a waterproof leather bag to market. Not sure how that works but that would really be sweet. Also not sure if it is the "Player's Bag" style or another style
[/quote]

Mink oil works well to waterproof leather, but it has to be applied frequently....Aquaseal works, too.

Waterproof leather? Hmm...maybe a layer of Gore-Tex, like a boot, or possibly some kind of poly varnish on the inside, like a kayak has. ??? Hard to speculate.

The McKennon stuff looks nice.....ironic how both Mackenzie and McKennon are from the Portland area.

He wouldn't give up any more inforamtion on it exept to say that it was an incredibly "simple" solution. Guess that kind that fits along the lines of their company theme or whatever you want to call it (love the quote on his home page) Maybe those two compnaies battle it out enough that the start dropping price on the bags!!!!!!!!!!!!

Price war!!!!!!

Just exchanged emails with McKennon and he got a chuckle out of the mention of a price wars. My guess is that is a no! There isn't a partnership with Mackenzie. although he says he has known Todd for a long time. He said they are in the middle of trying to get a large tounament order amnd if it happens they most likely would not make a bag for the direct consumer until May. So, if you want one of these style of bags Mackenzie might be the only way to go until May!

[quote name='mikey634w' date='06 February 2010 - 04:23 PM' timestamp='1265491412' post='2232429']
I caddy and have carried them before. They are nice bags (well balanced, clubs go in and out fairly easily, light weight). The only bad thing is that the dye used to color the leather does wear off into your clothes. It seems to happen real bad when it rains. Now I've only carried the brown leather (which turned my entire shoulder red), so I can't speak of all the colors. It is a classy bag though.
[/quote]

This is a big issue - can't have a bag "bleeding color" on your clothes. This is the reason I quit carrying these bags - on a hot summer day the back of your shirt or shorts was black from the bag color rubbing off on you. Look into this carefully before you buy.

I assume that is more a questions of where Mackenzie sources their leather and not of their work in general. Although, they are responsible for where they source their leather obviously. I hope they gave you a new one at no charge. McKennon sources their leather from Pittards in London or so it says on their site. As far as I can tell Pittards is one of the most respected leather companies in the world and have quite the resume of golf companies they work with....another post mentioned earlier that McKennon honors Mackenzie warranty. This would be the ultimate test of that claim!

[quote name='DL5treez' date='07 February 2010 - 12:25 AM' timestamp='1265523946' post='2233529']
It's a nostalgia thing.

You play a round of golf with a Mackenzie bag..it's hard to describe in words...I edited a huge post out just to say that once you experience the feeling, you'll know it.

I don't know really how to put it into words without writing a novel, but it's sort of like the reason some people choose to pay money for vinyl over CD's even though the sound quality blows, or drive a '62 Cadillac over a 2010 Cadillac that is more comfy, gets better mileage and doesn't break down every other week, or buy a 1969 Telecaster even though the Mexican one from 2008 sounds just as good if not better...

It's hard to find an authentic 1940's leather bag in playable condition, so that is where Mackenzie comes in....although there is something that feels good about the minimalistic approach to golf club storage and cartage around a golf course...

Cheers
[/quote]

+1 I got mine last year and the first round out was a late afternoon and I was one of a few on the course. It took me right back to 1982 when I was walking at least 36 a day. It is a quality bag and does feel very good on the shoulder.

I also have a stand and cart bag for when it is appropriate.

As for the cost, you only live once and if you have the $$, enjoy it!

$600-700 might look like a lot of cash to lay out for a golf bag, but consider a good leather coat is $300....

Not to mention people will drop $500 in a heartbeat for a driver that will be worth $99 in 3 years. These bags have resale value for years after their initial purchase.

Beating a dead horse kind of here but if you 'get it' you'll understand completely. If you don't 'get it' you never will be able to understand. Nothing wrong with that; different strokes for different folks.

Love mine. It's like DL5treez says, either you get it, or you don't. All that really matters is we 'enjoy a good walk spoiled' every chance we get.

Todd, if you read this you never charged me for the "Sparty" headcover.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

Goggled McKennon today

[url="http://www.oregonlive.com/lake-oswego/index.ssf/2010/02/mike_mckennon_of_lake_oswego_makes_golf_bags_the_old-fashioned_way_with_fine_leather_and_few_gizmos.html"]http://www.oregonlive.com/lake-oswego/index.ssf/2010/02/mike_mckennon_of_lake_oswego_makes_golf_bags_the_old-fashioned_way_with_fine_leather_and_few_gizmos.html[/url]

I do wonder what the high school sweetheart looks like!

[quote name='DL5treez' date='07 February 2010 - 01:25 AM' timestamp='1265523946' post='2233529']
I
I don't know really how to put it into words without writing a novel, [b]but it's sort of like the reason some people choose to pay money for vinyl over CD's even though the sound quality blows[/b], or drive a '62 Cadillac over a 2010 Cadillac that is more comfy, gets better mileage and doesn't break down every other week, or buy a 1969 Telecaster even though the Mexican one from 2008 sounds just as good if not better...

[/quote]

I'm sorry, what did you just say?

[quote name='AwkardTurtle' date='09 February 2010 - 07:37 PM' timestamp='1265773031' post='2240278']
[quote name='DL5treez' date='07 February 2010 - 01:25 AM' timestamp='1265523946' post='2233529']
I
I don't know really how to put it into words without writing a novel, [b]but it's sort of like the reason some people choose to pay money for vinyl over CD's even though the sound quality blows[/b], or drive a '62 Cadillac over a 2010 Cadillac that is more comfy, gets better mileage and doesn't break down every other week, or buy a 1969 Telecaster even though the Mexican one from 2008 sounds just as good if not better...

[/quote]

I'm sorry, what did you just say?
[/quote]

:cheesy: No worries, mate....I drive a '62 Cadillac (with a working "wonderbar") and have the "warped" mind to enjoy vinyl....I was speaking sort of 3rd person/devil's advocate there, as the three examples I used are all in my house and/or garage.

:drinks:

[quote name='Crimson0516' date='07 February 2010 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1265590765' post='2234935']
Own both the Mackenzie Bag and the McKennon Player's Bag. Like the McKennon Player's Bag much better. Lighter, less expensive, better leather and a better guarantee. I guess my answer would be that I love that syle of bag, just prefer the Mckennon Bag over the MacKenzie Bag.
[/quote]

Any chance you could be a little more specific? Do you think the craftsmanship is better? How much lighter do you think? Does your leather leach onto your clothing? From just looking at the pictures it looks like an exact, or almost exact copy. I have a probably 13-year old Peter Jacobsen canvas model, so I am familiar. - thanks.

I like the size better ($50 cheaper didn't really bother me either!) The overall style is very similar to the Mackenzie Bag but the slighly smaller size makes it lighter and overall more comfortable on my shoulder. Mackenzie makes a 6 inch (which I have never liked in any bag, way too small) and an 8 inch. McKennon is 7 inch diameter in the opening. Again, not knocking either bag because anyone would be lucky to own either one of them. Like any piece of equipment in golf it is just what I prefer. Reading some of the comments after the article on line in Oregon's news paper it sounds like a pretty heated business climate between the two so I just want to make it clear I like them both! Also like that McKennon it trying to innovate with the waterproof leather and the fact that they are associated with this big tournament mentioned in the article gives them lots of credibility at such an early stage of the company's exsitance. When I Googled "McKennon Golf" is saw that he also qualified for the United States Mid Am and I love the fact that someone is in charge of the company that is a "player". I hope that helps