Best golf stat tracker

odshot68

I am looking at keeping my statistics this year to help find my weaknesses. Can you guys tell me the best stat tracker to use. Thanks.

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, 60T (@61)

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just curious what you stats you keep track of?

2024 WITB: 

TM MINI DRIVER??

fairways, gir, putts, par 3 scores, par 4 scores, par 5 scores, penalty strokes, up and downs, sand saves??

2024 WITB: 

TM MINI DRIVER??

oobgolf.com

[quote name='TaylorMadeAP25' date='27 February 2010 - 11:29 PM' timestamp='1267331385' post='2282454']
[url="http://gaapx.com/Documents/Short%20Game%20Skills%20Test.pdf"]http://gaapx.com/Doc...ills%20Test.pdf[/url] awesome short game practice routine i do every saturday...takes anywhere from 45-1hr 10 min to do.
[/quote]

That's pretty nice. Any more things like that?

[quote name='odshot68' date='28 February 2010 - 03:06 AM' timestamp='1267326404' post='2282296']
fairways, gir, putts, par 3 scores, par 4 scores, par 5 scores, penalty strokes, up and downs, sand saves??

[/quote]

Fairways hit
GIR
Putts

Recently I started tracking scrambling as well. I'd like to track distance from pin after approach, but haven't found a good system that doesn't slow down play and is easy to note.

An invaluable stat is the number of strokes taken inside of 100 yds. This number will allow the player to really begin to understand where they are losing or gaining strokes. The player needs to multiply by 3 the number of holes they post this stat to; ie, if you had 11 holes you had posted a number to the total would be 33 and any number beyond that would be an indication of strokes being lost.

i have decided to keep track of my own stats. I set up an excel spreadsheet this morning. This will help find my weaknesses.

2024 WITB: 

TM MINI DRIVER??

[quote name='odshot68' date='28 February 2010 - 11:24 AM' timestamp='1267374293' post='2283087']
i have decided to keep track of my own stats. I set up an excel spreadsheet this morning. This will help find my weaknesses.

[/quote]

Here is an interesting system to try (I use my own database, but it could be a spreadsheet as well).

I record two pieces of information for every shot (a 3rd is optional) - distance from the hole and club. So a well played par 4 might be recorded as

D,7i-145;22-2

I hit driver off the tee (no yardage so get it from the card), then a 7i from 145 yards. The semicolon indicates that I am now putting and two putted from 22'.

That same hole played badly might read:

D,5i-165-L,7i-29-O,SW-18-B;55-5-1

So I hit my driver into something that generated a bad lie (the "L") from 165. From there I hit a 5i to 29 yards and my next shot was obstructed somehow (probably behind a tree - note the "O"). My next shot was a greenside bunker shot (note the "B") from 18 yards (must have nit that one badly because my next shot was a 55' putt and I 3 putted that one).

I let my 'system' do all that stats calculations. I find this system easy to manage on the course. I am often my 4 man team scorekeeper and have no problem mixing this in with a regular scorecard. But my index is in the 4-6 range and I will admit that a lot of pars does greatly simply what is recorded.

I use an extra scorecard to record this stuff and it gets put into my database in form of one record per hole (or one line per hole) pretty much in that form (you would have a bunch of columns like Club-1, Dist-1,Spec-1,Club-2,Dist-2,Spec-2,..........Putt-1, Putt-2, Putt-3, Putt-4.

You can calculate fairways, greens, up/downs, bunker percentages, putting... a lot of stuff just from this data. But you do have to be willing to put some work into your spreadsheet (or database) up front.

dave

I use MobileGolfStats ([url="http://www.mobilegolfstats.com"]http://www.mobilegolfstats.com[/url]). It is free and does pretty much everything I want except for 3 putt avoidance and mixing 9 and 18 hole rounds.

[quote name='DaveLeeNC' date='01 March 2010 - 08:57 AM' timestamp='1267451821' post='2285118']
[quote name='odshot68' date='28 February 2010 - 11:24 AM' timestamp='1267374293' post='2283087']

[/quote]

Here is an interesting system to try (I use my own database, but it could be a spreadsheet as well).

I record two pieces of information for every shot (a 3rd is optional) - distance from the hole and club. So a well played par 4 might be recorded as

D,7i-145;22-2

I hit driver off the tee (no yardage so get it from the card), then a 7i from 145 yards. The semicolon indicates that I am now putting and two putted from 22'.

So I hit my driver into something that generated a bad lie (the "L") from 165. From there I hit a 5i to 29 yards and my next shot was obstructed somehow (probably behind a tree - note the "O"). My next shot was a greenside bunker shot (note the "B") from 18 yards (must have nit that one badly because my next shot was a 55' putt and I 3 putted that one).

I let my 'system' do all that stats calculations. I find this system easy to manage on the course. I am often my 4 man team scorekeeper and have no problem mixing this in with a regular scorecard. But my index is in the 4-6 range and I will admit that a lot of pars does greatly simply what is recorded.

I use an extra scorecard to record this stuff and it gets put into my database in form of one record per hole (or one line per hole) pretty much in that form (you would have a bunch of columns like Club-1, Dist-1,Spec-1,Club-2,Dist-2,Spec-2,..........Putt-1, Putt-2, Putt-3, Putt-4.

You can calculate fairways, greens, up/downs, bunker percentages, putting... a lot of stuff just from this data. But you do have to be willing to put some work into your spreadsheet (or database) up front.

dave
[/quote]

Damn it. I have resisted writing my own system for 2 years now, but this sounds pretty cool. I just wrote up a database diagram. I guess I better set aside some time to waste on building my own... :-)

Christian

[quote name='ChristianT' date='01 March 2010 - 09:42 AM' timestamp='1267454566' post='2285171']
I use MobileGolfStats ([url="http://www.mobilegolfstats.com"]http://www.mobilegolfstats.com[/url]). It is free and does pretty much everything I want except for 3 putt avoidance and mixing 9 and 18 hole rounds.

[quote name='DaveLeeNC' date='01 March 2010 - 08:57 AM' timestamp='1267451821' post='2285118']

[/quote]

D,7i-145;22-2

dave
[/quote]

Damn it. I have resisted writing my own system for 2 years now, but this sounds pretty cool. I just wrote up a database diagram. I guess I better set aside some time to waste on building my own... :-)

Christian
[/quote]

Here is one thing that you might want to consider adding, and that is a "putting table". This is a table that defines your 'average number of putts to hole out' from every distance from 1' to 99' (for my system). Some samples..

1' and 2' is 1.0 (should make all your 1 and 2 foot putts)
3' is 1.1 (miss 1 out of 10 3 footers)
5' is 1.5 (miss/make half your 5 footers - no 3 putts from 5')
20' is 2.0
30' is 2.08
40' is 2.16
60' is 2.35
99' is 2.64

In my implementation there is an entry in the table for every distance by foot. The values in the table are totally arbitrary and represent my personal version of "OK/not great putting". I mostly just took a dozen or so distances and put in the number that seemed right to me, and everything else is linear extrapolation.

So I don't bother with putts per round, I look at putting against my table. For example a 2 putt from 40' is 0.16 'under par putting' for that hole. A 3 putt from that distance is 0.84 'over par putting' for that hole. I tend to average about 1 over par (best is 6 under and worst is 7 over) per round.

The first thing that this allows me to do is to TOTALLY separate my putting from the rest of my game. Sometime 35 putts is horrible and sometimes it is not so bad. But I (being a numbers kind of guy) find this helpful. My system generates a "Tee2Green" score where I just subtract all my 'actual putts' and add back in 'par putting' for that round.

The next thing that I do is to take all my up/down opportunities and ignore whether or not they were successful. A chip/pitch to 5' is a 50% up/down because my putting table says I make half my 5 footers. A chip/pitch to 3' is a 90% up/down and a chip/pitch to 20' or worse is a 0% up/down. This takes the putting variable out of the chipping/pitching skill measurement. Of course my database does this for me.

I also measure my 'scoring zone' putting separately. This is all putts inside 8' (whether they are 1st putts, 2nd putts, 3rd putts, etc) against the table. From this I can tell if my putting issues are short putts or long putts. It is just another query in my database.

Many folks would glaze over at all this. Being an engineer it is a natural thing for me. I would not recommend to anyone who finds this extreme. I find it helpful.

dave

ps. There are times when you will be surprised at what you can find in the data. For example I have wondered if I should add a 4th wedge to my bag. It was easy to look at the shots that I was hitting with a 3/4 PW and check their accuracy against all my other data. It was not out of line so I didn't add the 4th wedge.

I also always wondered just why does my index almost always go up 1.5 to 2 strokes in the winter. I found that 2/3's of that is putting! And almost all of that is short putts! Short of moving there is not much to be done about that, but I found it interesting. I believe that the issue is that the greens don't 'repair themselves' well in the winter and more short putts are thrown off-line because of that.

I also include a "driving distance comparison" set of holes. These are holes that are straight (so that driving distance is not a function of how much dogleg you cut off). They might be uphill or downhill. So I compare my driving distance against my average driving distance (by hole). This is a good indicator of what is happening with my driver. I hit 61 this year. I can look at my driving comparison distances (by season) and see that I have lost abut 5 yards average off the tee in the past year or two. And I can be pretty confident in those numbers. When I record my data I keep an eye on tee location and pin location and mark (if required) my best guess as to the right hole length adjustment. I am not a slave to pure accuracy, but over a season it believe it averages out.

I have been doing a few "other" stats for years

The amount of FEET made for 18 holes......I only count 3 feet and out and guess on the distance as I have a pretty good clue.
Try and make 100 feet a round

The other is, the amount of YARDS for all the GIR I hit, again I count from about 30 yards and out
Depending on the course, 1,500 to 2,000 will be pretty good on a course about 6300 and under with my length off the tee which is not much when you have a 100 MPH SS

• 2 years later...

Just came across this thread for the first time. I CANNOT believe no one has mentioned ShotByShot.com. I've tried lots of different programs and web sites, etc. Nothing compares to ShotByShot.com, as far as I have ever seen. The creator is a guest on PGA Tour radio and such, He's what Dave Pelz would like to be. It has helped me go from a 6 to a 2 and is helping me get lower.

(I have no affiliation with this site, I just really think it's the best out there.)

• 4 months later...

[quote name='putt4_66' timestamp='1334041782' post='4691158']
Just came across this thread for the first time. I CANNOT believe no one has mentioned ShotByShot.com. I've tried lots of different programs and web sites, etc. Nothing compares to ShotByShot.com, as far as I have ever seen. The creator is a guest on PGA Tour radio and such, He's what Dave Pelz would like to be. It has helped me go from a 6 to a 2 and is helping me get lower.

(I have no affiliation with this site, I just really think it's the best out there.)
[/quote]

A kid at my club who was on the provincial team said they were told to use this. He said it got quite cumbersome. Of course he was a 17 year old, so take that with a grain of salt.

I actually like a program on my desktop, and not a webbased product, and I'm not sure a $79 annual subscription fee is going to get too much more info...

• 3 years later...