NEW golf shoes!!!!!

sfagolfjp

There was another thread on this very topic not too long ago.

There is nothing wrong w/ these shoes, nothing at all. I'd wear them in a heart beat and not think twice, but I'm not stupid enough to show up at a prestigious club w/ these on. For that I'd wear my wingtipped FJ classics or my callaway cambridges. I'm also not stupid enough not to think that I might catch some grief at the local muni or somewhere a little nicer where there isn't a strict dress code. I just have thick enough skin not to let it bother me. If someone goes out of there way to be rude to me because I wore Kikkors that says more about their character. If someone talks to me respectfully after a round about how the shoes might not be appropriate, the tradition of the game, etc. I'll listen with a smile and let them know how much I enjoyed the round.

I don't think Kikkors is going to take over the golf shoe industry and invade the country clubs of America, so rest easy traditionalists.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='sfagolfjp' date='18 February 2010 - 11:04 PM' timestamp='1266552282' post='2261605']
what if a guy wearing these shoes came in and played in your club championship and beat everyone by 5 shots... what would you think about the shoes belonging on a golf course then?
[/quote]

I'd probably think something like "Man, that guy with the stupid shoes can really play."

You're not suggesting that since someone can play you should also appreciate his STYLE, are you? There's no correlation there whatsoever.

Also, as I said in another thread that might have been about these very shoes, I don't see why we have to accept "skate-style" shoes in order to feel like we're keeping up with the times or progressing golf style. There are plenty of other styles of dress out there that are far from the traditional saddle shoe look that don't look like you're hitting the X-Games after a quick 9. Let's stop confusing not liking skate-style shoes on the course with being old/close-minded.

[quote name='ode1' date='19 February 2010 - 10:44 AM' timestamp='1266594284' post='2262274']
There is nothing wrong w/ these shoes, nothing at all. I'd wear them in a heart beat and not think twice, but I'm not stupid enough to show up at a prestigious club w/ these on. For that I'd wear my wingtipped FJ classics or my callaway cambridges. I'm also not stupid enough not to think that I might catch some grief at the local muni or somewhere a little nicer where there isn't a strict dress code. I just have thick enough skin not to let it bother me. If someone goes out of there way to be rude to me because I wore Kikkors that says more about their character. If someone talks to me respectfully after a round about how the shoes might not be appropriate, the tradition of the game, etc. I'll listen with a smile and let them know how much I enjoyed the round.
[/quote]

Well put! Realistic and honest. Don't get a ton of that too often here.

I think they're pretty sweet. Ever notice how everyone at your club has the same 3-4 sets of shoes? Or you see about 10 people in a week wear the same shoes when they go on clearance?

Spice it up every now and again, there's only so many different ways to wear a solid color shirt and pants, throw in some sweet shoes and everything else gets dressed up on the way!

[quote name='Mr. Wolfe' date='19 February 2010 - 05:54 AM' timestamp='1266587679' post='2262081']
I am 35 and used to be an avid skateboarder. It is all I did from age 10-25. I wore Vans and the like in the 80's when they weren't popular. I think the shoes look fine, but I do not like them as a golf shoe at all. They will definitely draw attention on a course. If your game is awesome, things will probably be left unsaid. Golf can be a very individual sport and I think that is why you will find some x-skateboarders turn into golfers. Don't get me wrong, I love team sports, but a lot of skaters do not.

Mr. Wolfe
[/quote]

Same story for me too. IMO from a pure technical standpoint these would not be the best shoes.

Skateboard shoes have thin soles to feel the board and concaved shaped for trick performance. Thin soles on golf shoes lead to problems when walking 4-5 miles. Feeling each individual spike through the thin soles would suck and the arch support is usually minimal.

These shoes are a case of function following form which is a bad idea. And as far as look from a pure skateboarding standpoint the designs are not that cool, and are more generic looking in a skate shop. They're only different from golf shoes, not cooler.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

I am 35 and used to be an avid skateboarder. It is all I did from age 10-25. I wore Vans and the like in the 80's when they weren't popular. I think the shoes look fine, but I do not like them as a golf shoe at all. They will definitely draw attention on a course. If your game is awesome, things will probably be left unsaid. Golf can be a very individual sport and I think that is why you will find some x-skateboarders turn into golfers. Don't get me wrong, I love team sports, but a lot of skaters do not.

Mr. Wolfe

Same story for me too. IMO from a pure technical standpoint these would not be the best shoes.

Skateboard shoes have thin soles to feel the board and concaved shaped for trick performance. Thin soles on golf shoes lead to problems when walking 4-5 miles. Feeling each individual spike through the thin soles would suck and the arch support is usually minimal.

These shoes are a case of function following form which is a bad idea. And as far as look from a pure skateboarding standpoint the designs are not that cool, and are more generic looking in a skate shop. They're only different from golf shoes, not cooler.

Good points. I wear thin Puma driving/racing shoes whenever I am not golfing. Will this be the next golf shoe?

puma--drift-cat-sf--white--red.jpg

Mr. Wolfe

Mr. Wolfe

That's just it, they're not skate shoes, so don't worry about the sole... because they are golf shoes.

I really think it's a great idea and look forward to seeing more different designs from this company!

It seems like everyones either 100% for them or 100% against them, no middle ground.

Which is good, love >< hate, just like my golf game

drinks.gif

Mr. Wolfe

That's just it, they're not skate shoes, so don't worry about the sole... because they are golf shoes.

I really think it's a great idea and look forward to seeing more different designs from this company!

It seems like everyones either 100% for them or 100% against them, no middle ground.

Which is good, love >< hate, just like my golf game

drinks.gif

I'm all for anyone wearing them if they like them. I just don't like them for some reason.. It's almost like they are "poser-ish" to use a skateboarding term. The outsoles are without a doubt skateboard influenced.

Decades ago before skateboarding had specific shoes, basketball shoes were a great option because the outsoles are very flat and can gain traction on another flat surface that isn't wet like a court or a skateboard. These shoes have that exact same flat outsole, but with a few spikes. My concern is that they will slide all over wet grass... or even dry grass.

I'm all for skateboard fashions breaking into golf... I've always thought it interesting how many kids who skateboarded turned to golf as they got older. The two sports are very much a like in the satisfaction requirements. Tricks/shaping shots, solo event/non team oriented, tons of gear based a lot on aesthetics, magazines articles and layouts even look the same to a trained eye. Ogio even sponsors a number of pro skateboarders and provides them golf gear based on their target audience.

Here's what I would have done with the shoe. Keep the same last, keep the same colors, just add some little spikes and channels to the outsoles.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='stage1350' date='19 February 2010 - 12:13 AM' timestamp='1266556425' post='2261736']
Who are they trying to sell to? Most skaters wouldn't be caught dead on a golf course and most golfers don't want to look like skaters.

This is what's called a solution to a non-existant problem.
[/quote]

You'd be surprised as to how many skateboarders (along with others in the "extreme sports" category) play golf. The great thing, as you already know, about the sport, similar to skateboarding, snowboarding, etc., is the fact that it can be played alone and the only person you truly compete against is yourself. But I'm sure I don't need to explain any of that.

I totally agree about the sole not looking as if it's built for golf. But then I look at the sole of FootJoy Classics which look like smooth dress shoes with spikes just drilled into them. A LOT of people who are way better golfers than I swear by those. So, despite not thinking either looks like they would work very well - I concede that the Kikkors might perform on a level similar to the Classics.

As for the Puma driving shoes - those new Adidas AdiPure Nuovos look a LOT like those shoes if you add on a sensible sole for golf.

There are no more comfortable shoes in my opinion than skate shoes. I typically where Etnies when I am off the course. I would wear these in a heartbeat. For those of you who would look down on these shoes, I have a few things to say.

I am not a pro
I am my own person
I golf for fun

People need to find their own style and quit trying so damn hard to be someone else. I don't need to dress like a pro playing a local course. ANyone who would look down on me for wearing these should is a pretentious a** trying to damn hard too be someone he is not. Take your staff bag and your tour issued driver head you got off the tour van and leave those of us who remembered to enjoy the game to our own accord.

[quote name='againstkyle' date='20 February 2010 - 12:37 AM' timestamp='1266622635' post='2263399']
Does anyone know when these are actually going to be available for purchase? I was on the golf team in high school and skateboarded and snowboarded, so you know, that's such an insanely rare blend of interests I'm probably the only person in the world who would be interested in these.
[/quote]

I think I read somewhere they would be available in spring? (April I believe)

[quote name='againstkyle' date='19 February 2010 - 03:37 PM' timestamp='1266622635' post='2263399']
Does anyone know when these are actually going to be available for purchase?[b] I was on the golf team in high school and skateboarded and snowboarded, so you know, that's such an insanely rare blend of interests I'm probably the only person in the world who would be interested in these.[/b]
[/quote]

I think that blend of interest is a lot more common than people think. There's been two threads on these shoes and both have numerous former skaters who turned to golf in their later years.

Eric Kosten is an avid golfer.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys

• 2 weeks later...

As soon as someone on tour starts wearing these all the people saying they hate them will be asking where they can get the tour version. I grew up skate boarding and I have never wore shoes that were more comfortable so if these are like those and they keep my feet from hurting after walking then I would wear em. I'm all about comfort not trying to dress to impress someone at the golf course. I really love how people come in with the wing tip dress golf shoes like they are going to church.

What happened to the real men? It's like the crab people have taken over all the men in the world and you are all now metro.

[quote name='sfagolfjp' date='18 February 2010 - 11:56 PM' timestamp='1266555373' post='2261708']
[quote name='drewlbk5231' date='18 February 2010 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1266552931' post='2261629']
I'm 17 years old and these are the worst looking golf shoes Ive ever seen. Might as well wear some skinny jeans with them and a skateboarding shirt. Just not classy at all
[/quote]

how about a pair of slim fit dress pants and a tailored fit golf shirt... and maybe a sweater vest over that.... just made it classy... USE YOUR IMAGINATION... all you guys see is punk... there are ways to make it work
[/quote]

sure that outfit is nice but the shoes would completely throw it off. wearing a nice outfit with sneakers isnt classy at all

I'm very fashion forward and own a lot of unique pieces however I do not see a place for these on the course; the golf gods will frown...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1