Minnesota wrx's?

whysguy

Not to knock any of the courses in Albert Lea, but that is quite a ways from the twin cities and I think we might get more interest from a larger group of people. I reside in the twin cities and I would love to play in a little get together. I am open to playing nearly any where in the area so keep me up to date on plans.

[quote name='lunny' date='08 March 2010 - 03:09 PM' timestamp='1268082545' post='2302446']
How many are we thinking fellas i live on Edinburgh Golf course and i might be able to swing something for us!

[url="http://www.edinburghusa.com/"]http://www.edinburghusa.com/[/url]
[/quote]

+2 Edinburgh is nice! I'm willing to play just about any course as long as its worth the drive and $$. Like troy burne is worth it and rum river and greenhaven are not worth it. I also like the $75. for all day if the course is nice. Maybe we do like a once a month at a different course so the same people dont have to drive across the TC

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='jlg214' date='08 March 2010 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1268099669' post='2303132']
I'm in St. Paul but will travel for golf so keep me posted. Fatsack I hope your right about the pond around Edinburghs 17th. I was there last fall and it takes so much away from both 12 and 17 to have a big empty mostly dried up scum covered pond bed.
[/quote]

Yeah, The course is awesome when there is water on the 17th, If we get out early it should be good, Last year was terrible.

Taylormade R1 10.5*
Callaway X Hot 15*
Adams Speedline VST 18*
Bridgestone J40 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 50,54,60*
Odyssey Metal X #6 35"

[quote name='OnFire' date='09 March 2010 - 06:42 PM' timestamp='1268181778' post='2305240']
If any of you are thinking about Troy Burne, you had better have your A-game, and should at the minimum be a single digit. Very tough course, one of the tougher I have ever played. A TON of bunkers on that course.
[/quote]

Its got at least 4 sets of Tee's. It does have a lot of bunkers but its not that tough of a course if you check your ego and play from the correct tees.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='jpape' date='09 March 2010 - 09:28 PM' timestamp='1268191685' post='2305707']
Any of you Minnesota WRX's attending the golf expo this weekend?

[url="http://minnesotagolfshow.com/"]http://minnesotagolfshow.com/[/url]
[/quote]

No they never realy have anything new anymore. Years ago thats were you could see and hit all the new toys. But now all the new stuff comes out months before the show.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[quote name='georgec' date='09 March 2010 - 08:24 PM' timestamp='1268187894' post='2305531']
[quote name='OnFire' date='09 March 2010 - 06:42 PM' timestamp='1268181778' post='2305240']
If any of you are thinking about Troy Burne, you had better have your A-game, and should at the minimum be a single digit. Very tough course, one of the tougher I have ever played. A TON of bunkers on that course.
[/quote]

Its got at least 4 sets of Tee's. It does have a lot of bunkers but its not that tough of a course if you check your ego and play from the correct tees.
[/quote]

I only played it once so there was no ego. I actually don't remember what tees I played from, but I do remember I played like absolute crud. And at $100+ dollars, I'd much rather go to a place like Bunker Hills or Keller than having to drive that way to Wisconsin. Which reminds me, there are some primo courses just down the road from Troy Burne, but at the moment I can't remember the names. I do remember one of them being a superb course though.

[quote name='jpape' date='09 March 2010 - 09:28 PM' timestamp='1268191685' post='2305707']
Any of you Minnesota WRX's attending the golf expo this weekend?

http://minnesotagolfshow.com/
[/quote]

Like he said, it's kind of overrated. Get a few free tees and some brochuers and sit in line to hit clubs is not worth the trip for me. It's too bad there isn't more to do there.

Great to see all the postings. I agree there are is a very nice selection of courses here. I have a desire to say we ought to consider the Wedgewood Cove course, as it was the orig post and Hintz efforts and I like to try new. I also am up for moving the group around. Love Troy Burne, consider it the best in the Twin Cities. Think the houses close in a bit on some of the Edinburgh. (and I never score it well). Loggers, Legends, The Wilds, Chaska Town, Kellar, Stoneridge, WILLINGERS,... We could play one a week and not play out the acceptable courses this season, And I would love to accomplish that.
Moving on... the Golf Show, I go cause I get free tics. (wife works in media, get free stuff all the time). I agree, there isn't much new from year to year. It might get me down to Iowa pretty quick though. Like next weekend. Harvester is great track.
Lastly, count me in for a gathering. I don't have a USGA handi. Play to about a 12, worse in competition usually.

I know I am good for playing a round about anyplace. If we all did Wedgewood, Willingers, and Legends to start with, it would be about the same sort of drive for most of us. A little longer for you TC's guys to get to Wedgewood, Willingers about in the middle, and a little longer for us down south get to Legends. All we want to do is meet some new people who enjoy golf and play some nice courses we don't play all the time. If we have someone willing to set something up, lets go with it and see where it goes from there.

I will be at the show tomorrow, I will be interested to see how the convention center compares to the dome. I usually like checking out the clubs for sale there, every now and then you can get a great deal. Last year I picked up an almost new 585H hybrid for $40.

About the golf outing I think you guys should take a look at Eagle Valley out in woodbury. I played there once last year and was very impressed with the course. The course was very diverse and in immaculate condition. Although I only played once before but I though it was a great course. You guys should definately take a look into playing there

[quote name='dalepigeux' date='12 March 2010 - 11:35 PM' timestamp='1268458550' post='2312883']
the itch is too strong. thinking about heading south this weekend.

anybody know how far south i'd need to go to find a decent course? recommendations?

someone mentioned harvester near des moines. any clues?
[/quote]

I went down to KC last weekend. There was snow all the way down there. I just heard from another member here that Des Moines still isn't open for play. I think you still have to get down to KC. Shoal Creek and Stone Canyon in KC are two top notch courses in really nice shape.

[quote name='rlheiman' date='13 March 2010 - 12:15 AM' timestamp='1268460920' post='2312934']
[quote name='dalepigeux' date='12 March 2010 - 11:35 PM' timestamp='1268458550' post='2312883']

anybody know how far south i'd need to go to find a decent course? recommendations?

[/quote]

I went down to KC last weekend. There was snow all the way down there. I just heard from another member here that Des Moines still isn't open for play. I think you still have to get down to KC. Shoal Creek and Stone Canyon in KC are two top notch courses in really nice shape.
[/quote]

How much? How long of a drive is it?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[quote name='georgec' date='08 March 2010 - 06:32 PM' timestamp='1268094735' post='2302934']
+2 Edinburgh is nice! I'm willing to play just about any course as long as its worth the drive and $$. Like troy burne is worth it and rum river and greenhaven are not worth it. I also like the $75. for all day if the course is nice. Maybe we do like a once a month at a different course so the same people dont have to drive across the TC
[/quote]

Hi George,

I understand exactly what you are saying about Greenhaven. There were some issues there. A really old, fun little course that never seemed to be very well maintained.

Anoka is working hard to change that. Their Head Professional/GM, Larry Norland has been turning it around, and last fall they installed a 1 million dollar irrigation system! Just this week, I accepted the position as the teaching professional there, and am very excited to teach in their indoor academy with computer, video, etc...

Anyway, lets wait for the scars to heal this spring from the installation, and I would love to put together a very reasonable outing for my Minnesota friends at GolfWRX. Hopefully you guys will give us a chance, it would be a blast!

Thanks,
Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='georgec' date='13 March 2010 - 12:37 AM' timestamp='1268462253' post='2312954']
[quote name='rlheiman' date='13 March 2010 - 12:15 AM' timestamp='1268460920' post='2312934']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is a 6 hour drive. I got in 72 holes in my 2 day trip. I left at 5:30 AM. Arrived at 11:30 AM Played 18 holes in 3 hours. then played 18 more in 2.5 hours. Stayed near KC Royals Stadium. Got out to play 18 more at 8:00 AM. then hit another 18 holes at 11:00 am. Left KC at 2:00 PM and home in the TC by 8:00 PM.

$90 gas
$50 lodging
$140 green fees
$20 food

[quote name='kevcarter ' date='13 March 2010 - 06:21 AM' timestamp='1268482916' post='2313076']
[quote name='georgec' date='08 March 2010 - 06:32 PM' timestamp='1268094735' post='2302934']
[/quote]

Hi George,

I understand exactly what you are saying about Greenhaven. There were some issues there. A really old, fun little course that never seemed to be very well maintained.

Anoka is working hard to change that. Their Head Professional/GM, Larry Norland has been turning it around, and last fall they installed a 1 million dollar irrigation system! Just this week, I accepted the position as the teaching professional there, and am very excited to teach in their indoor academy with computer, video, etc...

Anyway, lets wait for the scars to heal this spring from the installation, and I would love to put together a very reasonable outing for my Minnesota friends at GolfWRX. Hopefully you guys will give us a chance, it would be a blast!

Thanks,
Kevin
[/quote]

Kevin,

I hope the new position works out well for you. We will have to come out and see you this year.

(will the new schedule allow you to play anywhere else, or are you locked in to Green Haven now?)

Ryan

[quote name='rlheiman' date='13 March 2010 - 08:40 AM' timestamp='1268491210' post='2313209']
[quote name='kevcarter ' date='13 March 2010 - 06:21 AM' timestamp='1268482916' post='2313076']
[/quote]

Hi George,

Thanks,
Kevin
[/quote]

Kevin,

I hope the new position works out well for you. We will have to come out and see you this year.

(will the new schedule allow you to play anywhere else, or are you locked in to Green Haven now?)

Ryan
[/quote]

Hi Ryan,

It depends on how busy I get teaching. I'm going to try to start playing again and should have a chance to play a few other clubs as well. I'll look forward to seeing you guys again!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='rlheiman' date='13 March 2010 - 08:33 AM' timestamp='1268490824' post='2313202']
[quote name='georgec' date='13 March 2010 - 12:37 AM' timestamp='1268462253' post='2312954']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is a 6 hour drive. I got in 72 holes in my 2 day trip. I left at 5:30 AM. Arrived at 11:30 AM Played 18 holes in 3 hours. then played 18 more in 2.5 hours. Stayed near KC Royals Stadium. Got out to play 18 more at 8:00 AM. then hit another 18 holes at 11:00 am. Left KC at 2:00 PM and home in the TC by 8:00 PM.

$90 gas
$50 lodging
$140 green fees
$20 food
[/quote]

Your my kind of golfing HO! I love playing that much. That sounded like a great trip. You got that much golf in for that price thats great.
You the MAN!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[/quote]

Hi George,

Thanks,
Kevin
[/quote]
Kevin,
I hope i didnt come off as a dick? Sorry if i did. I use to live over by greenhaven and play it a lot I hate the greens because every one was rolling at a different speed and cut at different lenghts. The fairways u couldnt even tell if your in them or not. The worse part of all was the old guys that worked in the club house. I've been kind of pampered in the last 7 years working and living at Nortfork. There is no better course or practice area in the northern Subs. This year im getting a membership so i can play more. once again im sorry Kevin. I will give them another try late in the season.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[quote name='dalepigeux' date='13 March 2010 - 12:14 PM' timestamp='1268504073' post='2313535']
Thanks for the info ongoing south. Any other recs for courses around KC? How about BBQ?
[/quote]

I think depending on what side of town you want to play.

I played:
Stone Canyon twice
Shoal Creek
Drumm Farm

Others on the east side that looked nice.

Winergreen
Adams Pointe

Irons Horse is on the west side and looked nice

If you do a seach for best courses in KC there was a simple website that helped out.

I didn't have time for BBQ. Golf, sleep, and drive.

[quote name='georgec' date='13 March 2010 - 10:15 AM' timestamp='1268496917' post='2313331']
Kevin,
I hope i didnt come off as a dick? Sorry if i did. I use to live over by greenhaven and play it a lot I hate the greens because every one was rolling at a different speed and cut at different lenghts. The fairways u couldnt even tell if your in them or not. The worse part of all was the old guys that worked in the club house. I've been kind of pampered in the last 7 years working and living at Nortfork. There is no better course or practice area in the northern Subs. This year im getting a membership so i can play more. once again im sorry Kevin. I will give them another try late in the season.
[/quote]

George,

No apologies needed at all my friend. You didn't say anything that wasn't true, and nothing we aren't trying to change! I will look forward to meeting you, I may even get a range pass over at Northfork and see you there. I agree, absolutely WONDERFUL facility!

Cheers,
Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again