Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Putting boards

golfman1golfman1 Members Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
Noticed in bayhill pics
Noticed in the Bay Hill pics on this sight the pro's putting on a what looked like a felt board. Can anyone tell me the thery or what it does. And by the way awsome pics of the tournament image/kewlpics.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':kewlpics:' />

Comments

• KMoney34KMoney34 SBCCMembers Posts: 660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you referring to the Rife putting boards? It shows the bouncing off the putter face and how soon the ball starts to roll smoothly.
    Titleist 917D2 9.5 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ s-70
    Titleist 917F2 15 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ s-80
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2 DG X100
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-W DG X100
    Titleist Vokey TVD-K 54, 58 DG X100
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Futura 6M
  • golfman1golfman1 Members Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    Thats it, notice it was a rife putter stand that those were at.
  • petter7petter7 Members Posts: 1,620 ✭✭
  • ChappieChappie Let's play sometime! Members Posts: 3,585 ✭✭
    Purchasable?
    D - JDM SLDR 9*
    3w - RBZ Stage 2 tour
    5w - r7 tp 17.5*
    3h - RBZ stage 2 tour
    4-PW - R9 TP "b"
    54* - Srixon WG-706 custom grind
    60* - Nike VR Forged
    P - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • RookieBlue7RookieBlue7 Members Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Very much buildable.
  • 502 to Right502 to Right Badds Members Posts: 8,110 ✭✭
    RookieBlue7 wrote on 28 March 2010 - 12:48 AM:

Very much buildable.

What fabric would you use?
  • pga43pga43 GolfWRX.com's Tour Photographer Nashville,_ TNMarshals Posts: 9,347 mod
    Chappie wrote on 27 March 2010 - 11:35 PM:

Purchasable?

The Rife Tour Rep makes them and has sold a number of them to some of the PGA Tour Players. I'd contact Rife, thru their web site, if you don't want to try to build one.

Greg
    GolfWRX.com
    twitter @gdm43pga
    502 to Right wrote on 28 March 2010 - 01:56 AM:

Very much buildable.

Pool table felt.
  • pga43pga43 GolfWRX.com's Tour Photographer Nashville,_ TNMarshals Posts: 9,347 mod
    RookieBlue7 wrote on 28 March 2010 - 01:09 PM:

502 to Right wrote on 28 March 2010 - 01:56 AM:

Very much buildable.

Pool table felt.

It's not felt. More like a velvet/valour (sp?) material.

Greg
    GolfWRX.com
    twitter @gdm43pga
  • Shwagin1066Shwagin1066 With A Little Draw Members Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    How does this thing show when the ball starts rolling smoothly?
    Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
    Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
    Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
    Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
    Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
    Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 28, 2010 #12
    it's just a smooth carpet type material. Think of your carpet at home when you vaccum you can notice a change in color when the carpet is pushed to one side or the other. Basically then putt on it and you can see the line of the putt because it created a line in the carpet. A solid line means the balls rolling, if it a broken line that means the ball is bouncing while it rolls. Pretty basic and cheap to make. Go to home depot or a carpet shop then some thin plywood and bing bango.

Or just hit your local course in the morning when dew is on the grass and you'll get the same effect.
    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Callaway EF 3+ w/ HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow Neck 35.5" (counter weight removed)
    Srixon Zstar XV
    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub
    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/
    WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590
  • Shwagin1066Shwagin1066 With A Little Draw Members Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    J13 wrote on 28 March 2010 - 03:57 PM:

it's just a smooth carpet type material. Think of your carpet at home when you vaccum you can notice a change in color when the carpet is pushed to one side or the other. Basically then putt on it and you can see the line of the putt because it created a line in the carpet. A solid line means the balls rolling, if it a broken line that means the ball is bouncing while it rolls. Pretty basic and cheap to make. Go to home depot or a carpet shop then some thin plywood and bing bango.

Or just hit your local course in the morning when dew is on the grass and you'll get the same effect.

Ahh I see...clever
    Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
    Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
    Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
    Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
    Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
    Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport
  • hbearhbear Lefty Boomers Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess by tracking the marks the ball leaves on the felt.

E.g. a few spots (ball is skipping) then a smooth line (now rolling fine).
    Taylormade SLDR 430 10.5* w/ Ahina 70x
    Callaway XHot Pro 15* w/ Ahina 80x
    Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
    Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
    Odyssey Black Series i #2
    Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*
  • ChappieChappie Let's play sometime! Members Posts: 3,585 ✭✭
    In fine with building it, just need to know how exactly he does it. image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> I love the concept.
    D - JDM SLDR 9*
    3w - RBZ Stage 2 tour
    5w - r7 tp 17.5*
    3h - RBZ stage 2 tour
    4-PW - R9 TP "b"
    54* - Srixon WG-706 custom grind
    60* - Nike VR Forged
    P - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    J13 wrote on 28 March 2010 - 03:57 PM:

See, I was thinking that because of what was stated above that it was felt, so that's why I said pool table felt. I didn't pay attention to the lines from the material being pushed away when the ball was rolling over it.

That said, I'd probably use velvet, something like this: http://www.rosenberryrooms.com/350-velvet-green-upholstery-fabric-by-the-yard.html?CS_003=2593844&CS_010=350-velvet-green-upholstery-fa

I'm sure you could find some velvet by the yard at Michael's or another fabric store. Just go in and rub across it and see which one changes color/texture, with light pressure. That's the one to buy. I might just build one when I have time to go to a fabric store in the next few days, and I'll post a DIY. I'm thinking that I might use MDF, though it'd be tough to use outdoors. Maybe some shelving board that's firm in at least 1/2 inch thickness. Perhaps I can make the Truth board I'm building(which I only have materials for and haven't started yet) into a combination of this idea and the truth board. There's a thought.
    yeah if you'll notice the boards they probably brush it and it erases the lines then putt and repeat. I'm not sure what would be best to use but I'm sure you could go to a carpet store or craft store and find something. The important part is that you also make a platform to stand on that's the same height. All in all this would probably cost you like $15

Srixon Zstar XV
    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub
    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/
  • CwingCwing #TaylorMade TwistFace Experience 2018 Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals,Members Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not just draw a line on your ball and watch it roll end over end over and over again? If the line is not wobbling your stroke it great.
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    Cleveland RTX 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
    Cwing wrote on 28 March 2010 - 07:16 PM:

Why not just draw a line on your ball and watch it roll end over end over and over again? If the line is not wobbling your stroke it great.

they are looking for if the ball skips or immediately starts to roll forward. The line won't necessarily show you that.
    Srixon Zstar XV
  • rifemerifeme Members Posts: 12
    I am the Rife tour rep. and the only fabric we can find is at Jo Ann's and it is called Premium Velvet and cost $ 26 per yard.
  • newportbeachnewportbeach Members Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting thanks rifeme. What type of wood are you using?
    Though much is taken much abides;
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
    - Lord Tennyson
    edited Mar 30, 2010 #22
    I'm building one of these tonight I'll post a diy. The fabric is $10 a yard. I'm using premium suede gives you a better line than the premium velvet.
    edited Mar 31, 2010 #23
    Alright, as promised, here's the quickie DIY. My camera was dead so I didn't get to take any construction pictures. There's really nothing to the construction other than cutting a hole if you choose (which I did so I could slightly elevate it and would have a target to putt at. I chose a 3.25 inch hole. I measured 5.5 inches in from the end, dead center.

That said, here's the materials list (along with prices)

1. Pre-cut 1/4 inch Luan plywood (I chose the cheapest pre-cut material they had that would hold up). It's a 2 foot by 4 foot piece. Plenty enough for this (If I were to do it over again, I'd probably get it ripped in half for a 1 foot by 4 foot piece because that's all you really need, I chose to go 2 foot wide, again, no biggie). I also chose this material and thickness because I wouldn't need to construct a platform to stand on due to it being so thin. It's durable enough to use for this purpose though. Cost: $5

2. Premium Suede. It was $9.99 a yard. I bought 3/4 of a yard (which was 27 inches wide, enough for this project). It was the width of the roll which was 58.5 inches, long enough to cover the 4 foot run. I brought it home and ironed it opposite of the good side (Ironed it upside down). Cost $7.50

3. 3M spray adhesive. This was used to attach the suede to the board. $6

4. Superglue $1.99 for 4 tubes.

Total Cost: $20

That's it.

As for tools, you'll need a razor blade and a jigsaw if you decide to cut a hole in it.

Construction:

(If you're cutting a hole in the board, cut the hole first and be sure to sand inside edges of hole and outside edges of board)

1.Iron out the suede and lay it face down on a flat surface (I chose the kitchen floor).

2.Spray the face of the board with spray adhesive.

3.Spray the reverse side of the suede with adhesive.

4.Lay the board face down (with the side you sprayed with adhesive facing the suede's back)

5.Position it on the suede and then walk on the board, careful to step on every square inch of wood.

6. Let sit for 5 minutes.

7. Stretch excess around the back and, using superglue, attach it everywhere around the edges.

8. Trim the excess outside of where you superglued it.

9. Let superglue dry.

10. Flip it over and enjoy your new putting board.

It took me 25 minutes to do everything. It was like wrapping a subwofer box in carpet except you didn't have to trim it and fit it to make it seamless because there's one side you'll be using.

The pictures are after putting about 45 balls in a row on it. That's why the mark is so wide. I also decided to take a marker and draw a dot 10 inches in from the end opposite the hole so I'd have a consistent place to sit the ball every time.

Here's the pics:

DSC01703.jpg

DSC01704.jpg

DSC01709.jpg

I ended up propping it up on a 2X4 so the balls would actually fall through the hole and stay. No biggie, I'll end up cutting a back leg to glue to it eventually, but it works great. It looks like a wrinkle in it, but that's where I couldn't get a fold to iron out, so I said screw it and stuck it.
  • rrkmanrrkman Members Posts: 1,182
    edited Mar 31, 2010 #24
    I was watching one of the PGA guys try it out at Bay Hill....think it was Na but can't remember right now. It was pretty interesting to watch. He would hit a a few putts on the board with different putters...then take a look to see what the 'roll' looked like. Did this a few times...kept switching and comparing putters....seemed to be getting something out of it and there was a pretty noticeable difference between how the ball was rolling off different putters.

The other thing is to make sure you use the 'standing part' as well....never really thought of it but you really need to be at the same 'level' as the putting board.
    I just put mine where I can stand in the passageway between my livingroom and kitchen. There is a 1/4 inch difference between he floors because of the type of flooring. Going from carpet to tile there. I could always buy a piece of 1/4 wood to stand on.
  • GimmieHendrixGimmieHendrix Unregistered Posts: 153
    Neither felt nor carpet, it's velvet according to Guerin. You'll want one that shows a high degree of contrast when swiped back so the path is very obvious. Pool table felt, carpet, etc. none of those will work, you need a very high level of detail and visibility left behind by the ball. Cheers. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
  • Harry PutterHarry Putter Members Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Whoa! 8.5 years.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway XR16 Pro Driver[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F8 5 Wood[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra King F7 3 Hybrid[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Fly-Z+ 4-PW[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50, 56, 60[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PING Sigma G Kushin and/or Cleveland HB #8[/font]
    edited Oct 9, 2018 #28

Whoa! 8.5 years.

The forums are designed to conduct conversation over time and add to it, reviving topics with current relevance is half the value of the software mate. Cheers. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
  • Harry PutterHarry Putter Members Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Is it really relevant if nobody has discussed it in nearly 9 years? 😝

All kidding aside, have you made or used one of these boards? If so, have you noticed any benefit to your putter selection process or putting results?
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway XR16 Pro Driver[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F8 5 Wood[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra King F7 3 Hybrid[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Fly-Z+ 4-PW[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50, 56, 60[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PING Sigma G Kushin and/or Cleveland HB #8[/font]
    All kidding aside, have you made or used one of these boards? If so, have you noticed any benefit to your putter selection process or putting results?

I'm going to buy some shiny velvet today to make one. I've not used one of these however when I installed my indoor Rymar green I noticed it has a slight shine and I could see the bounce on it similar way. Furthermore since my place is a sound treated recording studio you can really clearly hear the bounce, which is even easier feedback. On my green you can hear very precisely if you have bounced or rolled or pressed. But I want one of these boards anyhow. Sole purpose would be testing to see what a given putter is doing to the roll basically, but it might be a handy training tool too, we'll see. I'll report back.

I also emailed Rife to see if they have any, I can't seem to find them but they have a patent on it so... We'll see if they reply. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file