Pinehurst Deals

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried everything in the book to try and get a boys trip down to a reasonable amount. Apparently the economy didn't affect Pinehurst :crazy: No negotiation, the rate is what it is, but good luck to you, if you can swing a deal.

The rate per night and add a round on #2 was almost as expensive as 5 days at RTJ in Alabama.

Driver - M2/KuroKage xstiff
3 wood - TS2 16.5/KuroKage xstiff
Hybrids - Titleist 918 3/4
Irons - Mizuno 223, Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges - Vokey SM8 - 51, 56, 60
Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club

Do you guys have to play the resort courses. The resort and their lodging haven't come down at all on prices. If you don't mind staying and playing non-resort courses you can save a ton. I just booked 2 nights and 3 rounds for $229. We are playing Tobacco Road, The National, and Legacy and staying at the Talamore condos. We are going in July so it will be the same price for in August. We booked thru Tobacco Road Travels since they come off the price for their course more. Could have substituted Mid-Pines or Mid-South for the Legacy but the price went up to $309, which still isn't bad.

[quote name='mayboy09' date='22 March 2010 - 12:54 PM' timestamp='1269276842' post='2333275']
Do you guys have to play the resort courses. The resort and their lodging haven't come down at all on prices. If you don't mind staying and playing non-resort courses you can save a ton. I just booked 2 nights and 3 rounds for $229. We are playing Tobacco Road, The National, and Legacy and staying at the Talamore condos. We are going in July so it will be the same price for in August. We booked thru Tobacco Road since they come off the price for their course more. Could have substituted Mid-Pines or Mid-South for the Legacy but the price went up to $309, which still isn't bad.
[/quote]

I don't mean to put a damper on the trip but if I were you I would switch out Legacy as fast as humanly possible. I just played a tournament there and they have lost their greens. I am not even kidding 3/4 of almost every green is completely dead and they are virtually un-puttable. While you are playing Tobacco Road and The National, two nice courses I would not want your trip to be ruined by playing Legacy as the third course. I know you aren't going until July but there is no way they can save the greens by then. They need to be completely torn up and reseeded. Obviously it is your decision, but I strongly strongly suggest not playing Legacy.

It does seem hard to get deals because they don't seem to advertise much. However, there are a few websites that do indeed offer specials and so forth in the Pinehurst area.

ย 

I know that clickitgolf has specials. And there is a website sandhills golf and another good one is maples golf specials.

ย 

c830e317-0.jpg

ย 

ย 

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif873e8505-9.gif

March 2010 <br style="color: rgb(162, 135, 82); ">E-Newsletter

ย 

bde991f6-e.jpgExtended Spring Swing Special!

March 16 - May 31, 2010*

ย 

4 Rounds 3 Nights

Stay 3 Nights. Play Tobacco Road, The Pit, Tot Hill and Southern Pines. All rated 4 stars or better!

ย 

$429 per person $499 per person

Springhill Suites, Double Occup. Pinehurst Condo,Quad Occup.

Includes Breakfast, $25 group gift certificate to the Barn Restaurant for groups of 8 or more, lodging, greens fees, carts, tax. Tobacco Road must be played M-TH.

ย 

*Save from $81-$95 per person if you book may 17-31, 2010.

ย 

QUESTIONS or BOOK NOW!

Share this special with your favorite social network: social_default_facebook_icon.jpg social_default_delicious_icon.jpg social_default_diggit_icon.jpgsocial_default_myspace_icon.jpg social_default_stumble-upon_icon.jpg social_default_google_icon.jpgsocial_default_microsoft_icon.jpg social_default_yahoo_icon.jpg social_default_linkedin_icon.jpgsocial_default_sharethis_icon.gif

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

452642f5-5.jpgHOT Summer Special July & August 2010

ย 

3 Rounds 2 Nights

Stay 2 Nights. Play The Pit, Legacy, and choose either Tobacco Road or Talamore. All rated 4 stars or better!

ย 

$179 per person $199 per person

Springhill Suites, Double Occup. Pinehurst Condo,Quad Occup.

ย 

Includes hot breakfast, a $25 group gift certificate to the Barn Restaurant for groups of 8 or more, lodging, greens fees, carts, tax. Price based on quad occupancy.

ย 

QUESTIONS or BOOK NOW!

ย 

Share this special with your favorite social network: social_default_facebook_icon.jpg social_default_delicious_icon.jpgsocial_default_diggit_icon.jpg social_default_myspace_icon.jpg social_default_stumble-upon_icon.jpgsocial_default_google_icon.jpg social_default_microsoft_icon.jpg social_default_yahoo_icon.jpgsocial_default_linkedin_icon.jpg social_default_sharethis_icon.gif

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

4707d398-2.gif

Maples Golf Packages Booth

ย 

Wow... New Jersey, Toronto and Pittsburgh... Great golfshows!!!

ย 

Again, all our brochures were handed out and merchandising vendors couldn't keep the shelves stocked fast enough. Thanks to all of you who were able to stop and visit Jennifer and Ashley in the Maples Golf Packages booth!

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

461b4531-1.jpg

ย 

Live Like a Local

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Monthly condo rentals available...lake front or golf front. Enjoy area golf, tennis, pottery, equestrian, shopping, fine dining, and theatre. Just let us know what you are looking for!

ย 

ย 

ย 

QUESTIONS or BOOK NOW!

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Take Advantage of Our

Winter Golf Specials! Call 1-800-889-5323, Click Here to Email Us or Get Your Customized Quote Here!

Add us as a friend on:

MySpace

Follow Us On:

63224810-6.jpg

ย 

Share This Special With A Friend:

FTAF_12.gif

ย 

[quote name='schwaz19' date='21 March 2010 - 09:55 PM' timestamp='1269222905' post='2332211']
Group of guys considering going to Pinehurst in August, their low season. Has anyone successfully negotiated/gotten a better deal than they advertise? If so how did you do it? Thanks.
[/quote]

I have been to the Pinehurst area three times in the past two years. If you insist on playing #2, it it an extremely expensive trip b/c you are basically forced to stay in the resort. While nice, the resort is a budget buster. The other courses at the resort IMHO are overpriced.

If you stay outside the resort, you can get pretty good deals. The last two visits, I used Tobacco Road's travel service. We got very good discounts off the "list" price for hotel and golf. There a lot of good courses in the area that are not tied to the resort. Pine Needles is one of my favorite courses - period. Tobacco Road is insane - in a good way.

BTW - I was there this past August and it was extremely hot.

I forgot: if you really want to play No. 2 for a reasonable price, try playing in the winter.

I played in February on a "2 for $222" deal. That price is per person. Since my wife doesn't play, they gave her a spa treatment. In addition to the room, the package came with a very nice breafast buffet.

The best part of the deal is that you can book it at the last minute. If the weather is nice and you can take a day off, call them and go. That is what we did. Not bad for rom antic Valentines Day Weekend. For the rest of the trip, we stay at the Homewood Suites and I played Mid-Pines and Pine Needles. In booking that part of the trip, I actually booked it with Tobacco Road Travel while we were in the car on the way down.

The downside is the weather can be sketcy. Because the snow didn't melt as expected, my original round was snowed out and I played #2 later in the week. Needless to say, it was not in tip top shape and I got rained on for something like 9 holes. It was worth it.

Warning - I think they are closing #2 next winter for a remodel in preparation for the Open.

Thanks for the info. They are running a summer special through the first week in Sept. 4 days/3 nights and 4 rounds, breakfast and dinner for 870/person. However you do have to pay to upgrade to #2. We are going as a 40th birthday present to ourselves but always looking for the best deal possible. Does anyone know if they offer a AAA discount?

[quote name='mayboy09' date='22 March 2010 - 01:07 PM' timestamp='1269277637' post='2333316']
Thanks, I will call today and get it switched. Do you know any courses in the Legacy price range. That is our lowest price course and it was added to keep the price down.
[/quote]

I am not that familiar with that many of the other courses in the Legacy price range, so other people can probably help you more on that. Hopefully you can find something similar in price. Glad to hear you are switching, you will be happy you did.

I think #2 is actually closed now...... I could be wrong

ย 

It was open the last week of Feb for sure, so unless it closed between then and now its def open.

ย 

I too golfed it late feb. as they had a members special going on. I was told that they were going to close in march for renovations, but just checked the website and this is what they say..... so it looks like they are going to keep it open during renovations until Nov.

ย 

<h1 class="sIFR-flash" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; font-size: 20px; visibility: visible !important; position: relative; line-height: 26px; color: rgb(20, 11, 1); text-align: left; letter-spacing: 3px; "></h1>Home ยป About PinehurstIf you are a qualified member of the media, please go tohttp://www.pinehurstmedia.com, our official media site, for complete photography, video and press materials or contact Janeen Driscoll, Communications Manager, 910.235.8710.

ย 

ย 

Media Information Kit

- updated March 2009

ย 

subscribe.gif

btn-share.gif

PINEHURST ENLISTS COORE AND CRENSHAW TO LEAD PROJECT THAT WILL RETURN CHARACTER TO NO. 2

ย 

VILLAGE OF PINEHURST, N.C. (March 5, 2010)

Pinehurst has signed an agreement with the renowned firm of Coore and Crenshaw Inc., to return both natural and strategic character to its championship No. 2 course. Work will be conducted gradually in 2010 without any closure to the course or to individual holes until mid-November.

ย 

The projectโ€™s philosophy is to restore the courseโ€™s natural aesthetic characteristics and to bring back strategic play originally crafted by Donald Ross, but that have been lost over time. The changes include returning sandy waste areas, native wiregrass and natural bunker edges; widening the fairways to play as they did in the era from 1935 to 1960; and reducing the amount of manicured rough.

ย 

The project began when the design team of Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw conducted its first planning meeting with Pinehurst executives and golf course management leadership. For more of their vision for the project, go tohttp://www.facebook.com/PinehurstResort.

ย 

โ€œWe feel confident that Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw are the right people to bring back key Ross features to the course,โ€ said Pinehurst CEO and Owner, Bob Dedman Jr. โ€œTheir body of work speaks for itself. They share a level of respect for the history and tradition of the game, and for Pinehurst. Weโ€™re undertaking this project to perpetuate Rossโ€™ vision, knowing his design elements were meant to stand the test of time.โ€

ย 

Coore and Crenshaw researched historic photographs at the Tufts Archives, along with documents and drawings of the courseโ€™s irrigation plan that mapped the courseโ€™s progression from soft fairway lines to the manicured, wall-to-wall grass look synonymous with the modern era. The new project will return a natural aesthetic to No. 2 that is indicative of its native soil and topography.

ย 

Initial steps have already commenced beginning with widening of the fairways, and will continue through the spring and summer with gradual turf reduction in the rough areas. The Coore and Crenshaw team will simultaneously begin a review of each holeโ€™s strategic value, beginning with holes 11 through 14. It will opportunistically choose the scheduling of the remaining work throughout the year.

ย 

<br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; font-size: 12px; ">โ€œIt is not our intent to radically change this golf course,โ€ Coore said. โ€œWeโ€™re trying to uncover it, not recover it. Weโ€™re trying to take what Ross left and perhaps bring it back to the character and definition of what was once here. In short, weโ€™ll bring the strategy back, and reinstate its character.โ€

ย 

Course work is not expected to impact play on No. 2 until the course closes for the winter off-season, from November 15 until March 2, 2011. The signature greens of No. 2 will not be touched, nor will significant length be added to the course as a result of the Coore and Crenshaw project. With the exception of the seventh hole, tees will remain the same as well. When the majority of the work is completed in early 2011, the course will have minimal mowed rough, larger playing areas, and a better fit into the Sandhills landscape that existed during the time of Hogan, Snead, Nelson and Nicklaus.

ย 

โ€œWhen you see it and feel Pinehurst, you know itโ€™s something different,โ€ said Crenshaw. โ€œIn Rossโ€™ mind, it was the best way he believed a course should be played โ€“ his masterpiece. His courses are so beautifully balanced, intended to test every part of your game. This piece of ground was special to him. To contribute our ideas here is a high, high honor.โ€

ย 

โ€œThe time is right to undertake this endeavor,โ€ said Pinehurst President Don Padgett II. โ€œWeโ€™re not doing this for purely environmental reasons, nor are we doing this project as preparation for the 2014 U.S. Open and U.S. Womenโ€™s Open Championships. Weโ€™re doing it because itโ€™s the right thing to do, as stewards of this historic course.โ€

ย 

The USGA was informed of the project earlier this year.

ย 

About Pinehurst<br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; font-size: 12px; ">Located in the North Carolina heartland, world-renowned Pinehurst Resort is a 2,000-acre historic property that has been widely known as the cradle of American golf. It has hosted more single golf championships than any other site in America, including the U.S. Open, PGA Championship, Ryder Cup Matches, PGA Tour Championship and many others. In 2014, it will make history again as the only site to host both the U.S. Open and U.S. Womenโ€™s Open Championships in the same year, in back to back weeks.

ย 

See pinehurst.com or call 800-487-4653 for a complete list of events and activities.

ย 

# # #

ย 

For press materials and photography, please see http://www.pinehurstmedia.com/.

ย 

Back to Listingpush-int-golf.jpgMarch Escape โ€“ Enjoy spring early with your choice of GOLF or SPA!

ย 

View Offer

Make a Reservation

Just got back from Pinehurst (was tehre 3/11-3/14), got a deal through Acura. Stayed at the Holly Inn and played, 1,2,7 and 8. #2 was definitely open, caddy said it was closing for 5 months in the fall though.

[url="http://www.pinehurst.com/acura.php"]http://www.pinehurst.com/acura.php[/url]

[quote]
Call [b]800.487.4653[/b], for additional information about the Acura Auto Drive/Golf Drive experience and the exclusive Acura Golf Escape package! [/quote]

3 nights, 4 rounds of golf (including #2 $125 upcharge w/ caddy), $400 gift card all meals included for roughly $1000. Used the gift card to pay the bill so it ended up being roughly $600.

[quote name='Smooth spin scott' date='22 March 2010 - 05:53 AM' timestamp='1269255197' post='2332728']
Tried everything in the book to try and get a boys trip down to a reasonable amount. Apparently the economy didn't affect Pinehurst :crazy: No negotiation, the rate is what it is, but good luck to you, if you can swing a deal.

The rate per night and add a round on #2 was almost as expensive as 5 days at RTJ in Alabama.
[/quote]

+1 - we spent 5-days on the RTJ Golf Trail in November and it doesn't get any better. We purchased a package on the 1-800 number. They set everything up for us and the trip went perfectly. We played the long course in the morning, had a decent priced lunch, and then played the short course in the afternoon (usually twice). The short courses are a very well kept secret and are all you can handle from the back tees. I repeat myself, as far as price and value for what you receive, the RTJ Golf Trail is the one of the best.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6ย 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

ย 

I'm included with a group of guys heading to Pinehurst/Southern Pines in a couple of weeks. Legacy is one of the courses we are scheduled to play, so I was disturbed to see an earlier comment regarding the condition of some of their greens.

I called a friend of mine that lives in Pinehurst about this and he told me Legacy was in fine shape. To be sure, it was a tough winter, but the greens were plugged on schedule and the sun/rain/warm days cycle is only making the track better every day. I also checked with Bob at Legacy and he confirmed the course was 'great' (he would - wouldn't he?), but that he had heard the rumor, too.

Maybe the comment was posted by someone that had to play on recently plugged and sandy greens. That is indeed a bummer, but my 'sources' tell me that Legacy is okay to play for anyone venturing down there.

Go, Devils.