Choosing new outfits for the season

I'm looking to design a few outfits to start the season in style. For now, I plan to start with 2 - 3 reliable setups that I can grab and go and then earmark some items to consider buying at a later point.

I'll list what I have available and what I've been eyeing on trendygolf.com (which is a great website if you haven't checked it out). I'd like to open it up to general golf wear discussion as well. Post any current or upcoming golf clothing that you have/want. What I would find most helpful is complete outfits (shirt, pants, belt, shoes)

What I have:

j-lindeberg-autumn-winter-09-polo-athletic-fit-grey.jpgj-lindeberg-autumn-winter-09-lynfa-true-merino-dark-blue.jpg

292357.jpgImage-footjoy-contour-golf-shoes-brown-z-a.jpg

Nothing else really that I'd like to wear on the course this year.

What I'm looking at:

JL Lew cotton knit

large_2229.jpg

JL Troyan poly pants (also in black)

large_1138.jpg

JL Tavor poly twill pants

large_2217.jpg

JL Fieldsensor poly polo (also black, white)

large_2196.jpg

JL Bridger belt

large_1873.jpg

JL Nisher belt

large_2240.jpg

Dunning poly polo

large_1952.jpg

Dunning Compression poly/spandex base layer (also white)

large_1957.jpg

RL cotton/poly polo

large_2023.jpg

RLX Expansion poly jacket

large_2038.jpg

RLX Hydro poly pants

large_2042.jpg

RLX Unite poly/elastane polo

large_2029.jpg

Puma Modern belt

large_2098.jpg

Puma Tilt belt

large_1960.jpg

Puma Course Saddle shoes

large_2325.jpglarge_2324.jpglarge_1974.jpg

Titleist TSr2 9 Ventus Black 6x | Titleist TSr2 15 Ventus Black 7x | Titleist TSr2 18 Ventus Black 8x  Titleist 620mb 4-P X7 | NCW 51 55 59 X7 | Scotty Cameron NP2 Timeless

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've yet to purchase any JL clothing, but I really like the grey polo with blue sweater vest you have. I wear polo and lacoste usually, nike when it gets really hot out. LaCoste.com is actually having a sale on basically all of their clothing right now if you want to take a look. I have a pair of the white bermuda shorts and I love them. I also own a few sweaters, RL purple label argyle merino wool is really nice, (2) J Crew cardigans, and looking to get some footjoy iconic with both the all black and croc and brown..gorgeous shoes at 219.00. Both of the JL belts you have are awesome! Not sure if you've seen the wool RL pants with the RL skull and crossed bones for the fall, but I have a pair and very comfy. I'll try to post some pics of my stuff tomorrow. The JL buckles that resemble the club head are very nice imo.

[quote name='playmuch' date='17 March 2010 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1268869368' post='2323658']
All the stuff your looking at are really nice. good choice.
[/quote]

Thanks!

[quote name='dopeTT' date='17 March 2010 - 07:56 PM' timestamp='1268870193' post='2323689']
lots of nice stuff there. do you already own any JL pants?

I really want some white JL pants but not sure how they fit in the thigh area. they look super fitted unless camilo get his stuff tailored to fit him like that.
[/quote]

I don't own any JL pants. I like the look of the Puma and RLX pants as well but based on the pictures, the JL look to have the most athletic cut. The two size M articles I have by JL both fit like true mediums with none of the belly forgiveness that most clothes have so I have some confidence that they cut their pants true to fit. The Puma pants looked a little bit bigger through the thighs.

It's probably tricky to tailor polyester pants like those. If anyone was able to get custom JL gear I would have faith in Camilo's ability to do so. He probably just wears a smaller size for the fit.

[quote name='jming' date='17 March 2010 - 08:11 PM' timestamp='1268871080' post='2323722']
is there anything you aren't gonna buy? (cool)
[/quote]

Most of that stuff :) What I really would like to have first is a good pair of true golf pants, followed by a belt and one more shirt to have two outfit options. The rest will come with time.

[quote name='TheHusky' date='17 March 2010 - 11:02 PM' timestamp='1268881374' post='2324156']
I've yet to purchase any JL clothing, but I really like the grey polo with blue sweater vest you have. I wear polo and lacoste usually, nike when it gets really hot out. LaCoste.com is actually having a sale on basically all of their clothing right now if you want to take a look. I have a pair of the white bermuda shorts and I love them. I also own a few sweaters, RL purple label argyle merino wool is really nice, (2) J Crew cardigans, and looking to get some footjoy iconic with both the all black and croc and brown..gorgeous shoes at 219.00. Both of the JL belts you have are awesome! Not sure if you've seen the wool RL pants with the RL skull and crossed bones for the fall, but I have a pair and very comfy. I'll try to post some pics of my stuff tomorrow. The JL buckles that resemble the club head are very nice imo.
[/quote]

Good eye! That pic actually is of a light grey polo (though the one I have is white, that's just the best pic I could find). Thanks for posting the LaCoste sale - just the kind of thing I was hoping to find by posting this.

The new FJ icons look great. Not quite my style but I wouldn't fight it if someone put them on my feet. I'm definitely going to try and find the skull RL pants you mentioned - sound like something I'd like.

Titleist TSr2 9 Ventus Black 6x | Titleist TSr2 15 Ventus Black 7x | Titleist TSr2 18 Ventus Black 8x  Titleist 620mb 4-P X7 | NCW 51 55 59 X7 | Scotty Cameron NP2 Timeless

[quote name='velvet fog' date='18 March 2010 - 10:26 AM' timestamp='1268922398' post='2324824']
Those brown shoes and accessories aren't going to work with any of the new stuff you're looking at, but otherwise, the new stuff looks great.

I like the puma shoes with the red accents.
[/quote]

Yeah the FJ Contour shoes are very comfortable but they're not on par with the other gear I have in mind. If I go out before I get any of the above clothing, my outfit will be white polo / blue vest / white pants / brown belt / brown fj shoes

[quote name='compton1977' date='18 March 2010 - 10:42 AM' timestamp='1268923338' post='2324859']
I have a few JL pieces and to my eye they seem to go better with classic style golf shoes rather than the athletic styles, the trousers are quite slim fitting so sit better on shoes than sneakers.
[/quote]

Good to know! Thank you

drinks.gif Your point is well taken. I do see the humor in chatting about clothes. Like clubs, the appearance and fit of apparel are important and, also like clubs, top quality demands top dollar. Most golfers will play better wearing clothes that fit well and look good than if they come to the course in dirty, ripped khakis with worn out shoes and a pit-stained polo from the 80's. To what degree the clothing matters is subjective.

I'm somewhat new coming back to the game and want to have proper golf attire when I'm on the course. Work clothes and summer polos are fine for the range but I don't want to feel sloppy when I'm playing. I spent months researching my clubs so I would get the best gear for me that I could with the resources I have. Now that I'm preparing to spend money on apparel, why not put in some of the same diligence that I put into my clubs? It's all about maximizing return.

Ive got a pair of white JL's and they def are slimmer in the seat and thigh, but still fit very well. I hate pants with saggy crotches haha.

+1 on the sligo stuff and fairwaystyles.com
Great clothes, great fit, great sale prices, and FANTASTIC customer service. I just got 2 sligo shirts and a visor for 75 bucks and Im planing on ordering a few more items when that tax return comes in!

Also, check out the travis mathew stuff. Ive got a pair of their pants and they are great summer pants with a nice "roomier" fit and a cool glove/ipod bocket just below the belt in loops on the lower back area.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Well I might be unique but I like fashion and clothing, now I own a steel shop where I get burns daily, weld flash, and UV weld burn considering I wore short sleeves friday, my hands are calloused from weights 5 days a week since I was 17 and have been called "mitts". I welcome anyone to not call me a man... I also like fashion, welcome to the 21st

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='DoctorPal' date='18 March 2010 - 11:11 AM' timestamp='1268925079' post='2324917']
Somebody's obviously got a heftier checking account than I do :tongue:
[/quote]

Not necessarily - I'm not making a list of clothes for my personal assistant to go out and get. I'm trying to spend as little as possible and get a few high-quality items that can be used to make different outfits. In no way do I intend to buy all that I listed.

[quote name='broth518' date='18 March 2010 - 11:16 AM' timestamp='1268925415' post='2324925']
You need to look at sligo - great clothing that looks and fits well.

sligowear.com

Also www.fairwaystyles.com has a bunch of great lines as well
[/quote]

Good stuff - I took a quick peek at Sligo and I like the look. FS has a lot of sizes available. Very good find.

[quote name='fore_life' date='19 March 2010 - 05:00 AM' timestamp='1268989235' post='2326713']
Ive got a pair of white JL's and they def are slimmer in the seat and thigh, but still fit very well. I hate pants with saggy crotches haha.

+1 on the sligo stuff and fairwaystyles.com
Great clothes, great fit, great sale prices, and FANTASTIC customer service. I just got 2 sligo shirts and a visor for 75 bucks and Im planing on ordering a few more items when that tax return comes in!

Also, check out the travis mathew stuff. Ive got a pair of their pants and they are great summer pants with a nice "roomier" fit and a cool glove/ipod bocket just below the belt in loops on the lower back area.

[/quote]

Good info. Any feedback on the JL Troyan vs Tavor? I'd like to have a pair of gray pants and they look very similar.

Also not sure on 32R or 32S with JL. I'm 5'10" and usually go with 32S and wear pants low on my hip. When golfing with a tucked in shirt, I'll probably be wearing them properly and wouldn't want to have the cuffs hitting around my ankle bones.

The ipod pocket you mention with TM pants is intriguing. Would it hold a SkyCaddie?

Anyone know of any retail stores in the northeast that carry brands like JL, Puma, Travis Mathew? Would be great to try stuff on.

[quote name='TheHusky' date='20 March 2010 - 11:45 PM' timestamp='1269143157' post='2330328']
Well I might be unique but I like fashion and clothing, now I own a steel shop where I get burns daily, weld flash, and UV weld burn considering I wore short sleeves friday, my hands are calloused from weights 5 days a week since I was 17 and have been called "mitts". I welcome anyone to not call me a man... I also like fashion, welcome to the 21st
[/quote]

:hi:

If you're into the high end clothes, go to town. I've never been a fan of spending small fortunes on clothes as my wife has that market cornered in our house. I do like those Puma shoes, but I don't think I can handle those slim cut clothes. I'm built more like Phil than Tiger.

I just bought everything clothes wise I ought to need for the golf season.... hit the sales racks at Academy Sports and got 4 sport polos and 3 pairs of shorts for a grand total of $107. I won't be turning any heads with high brow fashion, but I'll look like a proper golfer and won't get kicked off any courses.

[quote name='highergr0und' date='01 April 2010 - 11:44 AM' timestamp='1270136640' post='2354969']
If you're into the high end clothes, go to town. I've never been a fan of spending small fortunes on clothes as my wife has that market cornered in our house. I do like those Puma shoes, but I don't think I can handle those slim cut clothes. I'm built more like Phil than Tiger.

I just bought everything clothes wise I ought to need for the golf season.... hit the sales racks at Academy Sports and got 4 sport polos and 3 pairs of shorts for a grand total of $107. I won't be turning any heads with high brow fashion, but I'll look like a proper golfer and won't get kicked off any courses.
[/quote]

That's a good route too. I don't have as much time as I'd like to shop around at area stores (most close to early or are too far away as well) but there's nothing wrong with stocking up on sales gear.

The Puma shoes are nice. It's also good that you're getting clothes to match your body. I don't think Phil even knows that he's built more like Phil than Tiger.

Not trying to turn any heads here. Trim, comfortable, durable and, above all, good for the game physically (no restrictions, good breathability, useful compression). It might be fun to go head to toe in bright orange like Rickie Fowler but in general I'd rather be a bit more restrained.

[b]Given the general tone of this thread, I think it important to restate one of the most important posting rules.

[list][*][/b]Treat others the way you want to be treated. Mutual respect is a key component to preservation of the site's goals.[/list][b]If I need to make this very clear, I will[/b].

This subforum is dedicated to the discussion of all aspects of golf fashion. It is not only [u]appropriate[/u] to discuss outfits, styles, fashion, or anything else you wish to call the elements of this topic, it is what is [u]expected[/u] in this sub-forum. If you are offended by this kind of discussion, for whatever reason, [b]stay the heck away[/b]. If you are here to make snide comments about those who wish to post in this area, [b]you will be asked to refrain from making your feelings public[/b]. If you persist, [b]you will not be pleased with the outcome[/b].

[i]FWIW: I have no particular dog in this fight. My personal fashion sense is non-existent. On the golf course, I look like your grandfather on his worst day. I wear cargo shorts, knit shirts from Wal~Mart, white athletic socks, and whatever shoes are most comfortable, regardless of color (most frequently not the same color as my belt). I will not trouble you with outfit opinions or suggestions apart from the hope that you wear one.
[/i]
Thank you for helping keep this wonderful website a friendly place for all who are interested in our sport.