Tiger- New Putter?

TMfan54

[quote name='rblmp32' date='28 March 2010 - 09:14 PM' timestamp='1269825270' post='2346887']
[quote name='ckay' date='28 March 2010 - 09:08 PM' timestamp='1269824893' post='2346875']
Wow, I didn't know you knew Tiger like that.
[/quote]

Doesn't take a genius, just gotta have more than a coconut on top of your head. You don't become as good as he is without being wired that way. The best of the best are always like that. Look at Michael Jordan. Magic Johnson. Jack Nicklaus. We could go on and on.
[/quote]
How naive you are. I've got ocean front property in Arizona to sell you. Cheap too!

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Chappie' date='27 March 2010 - 11:17 PM' timestamp='1269746233' post='2345214']
[quote name='mbradley' date='27 March 2010 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1269725204' post='2344616']
[quote name='jaskanski' date='27 March 2010 - 04:47 PM' timestamp='1269722837' post='2344540']
[quote name='Onebulldogs' date='27 March 2010 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1269722416' post='2344530']
Whether one is a Tiger supporter or not (that would be me), it seems like a very odd time for him to switch the most important club in his bag out. I wonder if Team Tiger see's switching to a Nike putter as a way to reward Nike for sticking with him?
[/quote]

Lol. I was thinking the reverse. Nike saying: "If you want to stay with us, you WILL use this putter!"
[/quote]

These two are in the same ball park. I was thinking the same thing. Nonetheless, if Tiger is going to use a Method putter, it must be a monster putter.
[/quote]

Tiger won a master with an Anser 2, does that make it a "monster", too? ;)

I don't think it necessarily means the method is a "monster" putter as much as it mean Eldrick is interested.

The Method is a very well built, well thought out putter by Nike. I just wish it was at least 50 bucks cheaper, since it's not made out of carbon steel. :)
[/quote]

Clearly, the Scottys are great putters. I just came form a putting session with a studio newport and a California. The weights in the head and toe seem to give blade designs the stablility of a mallet with unsurpassed feel. The ping Anser 2 that you refer to is a great putter, but Scotty has taken those Karsten designs and made higher quality versions. If Tiger is interested, it has got to be one hell of a putter. He is a purist and changes equipment only when there is a very good reason to change. Nike has probably had a long term goal to produce a putter that Tiger would actually use. Of course, his recent actions would seem to give Nike a little leverage in terms of him changing.

If the Method is perceived by Tiger to put a significantly better roll on the ball than his Scotty (some have made this same observation), there could not be a better time for him to make the switch. Nike has several real marketing issues with the putter, regardless of how good it is. First, they want to play in the Scotty price range. Any Nike will lack the longterm appeal of a Scotty and thus effects resale. wouldn't it be better for Nike to come in around $199 for a putter that might be better than a Scotty and let it build momentum as tiger wins. They can aways raise the price in the future.

[quote name='rblmp32' date='28 March 2010 - 03:26 PM' timestamp='1269804419' post='2346180']
[quote name='Onebulldogs' date='28 March 2010 - 02:58 PM' timestamp='1269802686' post='2346136']
I am sorry, but I have to disagree about Tiger and money. If Tiger did not care about money, he would not have spent so much of his time off the course doing all kinds of things to make money.
1. Instead of being limited to a Tag watch, he could collect watches with his money.
2. Instead of being forced to drive Buicks(General Motors), he could have riding around in a Bently.
3. If money didn't matter, he would not have set up his course design firm around high dollar properties only. He could have set up a shop focusing on low cost designs to "build the game" if he wanted.
4. I am positive his endorsement deals meant spending time smoozing execs and making commercials. Even travelling to these events would be a hassle.

I am NOT saying any of these choices is wrong. In his place, I would have gladly accepted the endorsement deals he got. BUT if winning was the only thing he cared about, he would have not spent the time getting or complying with the deals.
[/quote]

Sigh. Lets do this again. Do any of those things interfere with Tiger winning? No? Ok. Done. Winning first. Money only win it doesn't hurt his chances at winning. That's how it works with that guy. He will not switch to the Method or any other putter for the Masters for any sum of money. If he does, I'll eat tons of crow. But I'm not worried.

You read too much into my post before, that or I wasn't clear enough. Having watched Tiger since '97, imo this is how it works with him. Winning > money. Money comes along with winning and don't get me wrong, he works hard at making $$. But he does not sacrifice winning to make more money. He wants Jack's record more than he wants another couple million bucks. Without question.
[/quote]

You really think Tiger drove a Buick? :rolleyes:

Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport

I'm not sure whether he'll change from his Scotty to a Method... but put on the spot I'd say he'd probably stick with his Scotty, I don't see what his personal problems have got to do with him switching putters, the only reason he'll change is if he's draining everything with a Method. The putter is the most valuable club in the bag and when you've had success with it for a long time you feel no need to switch... unless of course you putt with something else better.

When Nike's Unitized range of putters came out I was convinced Tiger would be using the Tiempo model... he didn't, although doesn't mean to say he won't be using a Method and neither does it mean to say he might switch to one of the latest Scotty's. Who knows, but it all makes good speculation.

[quote name='Onebulldogs' date='28 March 2010 - 02:01 PM' timestamp='1269802912' post='2346141']
[quote name='dlygrisse' date='28 March 2010 - 01:19 PM' timestamp='1269796799' post='2345972']
[quote name='rblmp32' date='27 March 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1269742507' post='2345087']
[quote name='Lefty325' date='27 March 2010 - 09:56 PM' timestamp='1269741415' post='2345043']
Do you really think someone that putts as good as Tiger can not switch putters after being off the tour since november. He can switch putters without missing a beat. Trust me its ALWAYS about the money... and winning. If he can putt as good with the Nike as the Scotty, why not make the money, and trust me he can putt as good with a Nike if he practices with it.
[/quote]

Lol. You don't get it. You ever had a club that you trusted more than any other in your bag? Ever change it? Remember how hard that was to do? B/c that trusted club had been to war with you. Hit tons of great shots. Never let you down (or at least you never remembered it letting you down). Now imagine you are Tiger Woods and the club in question is your putter. It's won you 13 majors. What... nearly 100 million bucks? That putter probably feels like an extension of his own body. Will he switch ever? Probably. Will it be at Augusta this year, his first tournament back? Hell no.
[/quote]
That is exactly it, he may putt as good or better with the Method on the practice green or even a practice round, but when the tourney is on the line, and he needs to make a tough putt to win, make a playoff or to make the cut, which putter do you think he would rather have in his hands? It will be tough to make the switch, Nicklaus used the same putter most of his career, same with Crenshaw and he was never the same after he broke the shaft in "little Ben" during the Ryder Cup. A trusty putter is a tough club to switch up.
[/quote]

Although I was very young when Nicklaus was still winning (I remember his last Masters win), I thought he was a putter ho. Didn't he win with that giant putter head or the "Basackwards?" I may be wrong.
[/quote]

Jack won the '86 Masters at age 46, he was considered washed up at the time, with a MacGregor Response putter. It was a large oversized putter that he threw in the bag to ressurect his game. He won something like 16 of his majors with a George Low Wizard heel shafted putter that he picked up after turning pro, and the bulk of his tour wins. Jack did not switch equipment that much, but like anyone who goes through a rough patch he did switch things up every now and then. He won one of his majors with a Bullseye I believe, but to me Jack will alway be associated with is Wizard. He won his US Am's and maybe his first US Open with a hickory shafted blade, not sure about the US Open.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='AC168' date='29 March 2010 - 07:46 PM' timestamp='1269917204' post='2349188']
I think he had a Buick, but drove a few Cadillacs ... and a few Mercedes ... an ML at one point in time for sure. For Phil M., I know that when he was sponsored by Ford, he drove a top of the line Aston-Martin (owned by Ford at the time).
[/quote]

People forget, TW once owned a Carrera GT. He wrecked it.

It could be possible he is struggling with the flat stick.He better get that damn thing working fast! Quoted [b][size="2"]From ESPN.com: [/size]
[/b]
[b]What would happen if Tiger won The Masters?[/b]
[color="#000000"][size="2"][b][left]Posted at 11:13 AM[/left][/b][/size][/color][size="2"][size="2"][size="2"][left]
[/left][/size][size="2"][left][size="3"]Tiger Woods is saying all the right things these days, but what if he won The Masters? Would that leave everyone speechless? How are we supposed to react then? It's possible, you know. From all accounts coming out of Orlando, Woods's game is as sharp as a sushi knife. It's "vintage" right now, according to John Cook, who's been playing with him lately. "I don't see anybody beating him." "He's killing it, absolutely killing it," Tour player Arjun Atwal told reporters in Orlando. "[b][u]If he gets that putter going at all[/u][/b], he'll probably win.[/size][/left][/size]
[/size][/size]Read more: [url="http://blogs.golf.com/golf-truth-rumors/2010/03/what-would-happen-if-tiger-won-the-masters.html#ixzz0jdZPurFH"]http://blogs.golf.co...l#ixzz0jdZPurFH[/url]

[quote name='Shwagin1066' date='30 March 2010 - 02:03 AM' timestamp='1269929002' post='2349576']
I say he never switches.
[/quote]
Never say never.............I would have bet that great putters like O'Meara and Goosen would never switch either, but now Goosen is using a TM belly after all those major victories with Yes. Wouldn't Phil have liked Goosen's putting a whole lot more at Shinnecock, where he putted out of his mind, especially on sunday. :drinks::drinks:

CALLAWAY GBB EPIC SUBZERO 9* OBAN KIYOSHI PURPLE

07 BURNER TP 17.5* MATRIX CODE 8
ADAMS PRO GOLD 3H TOUR ISSUE NV 85
COBRA KING FORGED 5-GW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 56* RAW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 60* RAW KBS TOUR V
TOULON MILLED COLUMBUS CAMERON BLACK MATADOR MID
TAYLORMADE TP5X
CALLAWAY APEX UT 21* RECOIL 110 DEPENDING ON CONDITIONS

[quote name='Señor Rafa' date='29 March 2010 - 10:50 PM' timestamp='1269917428' post='2349200']
I'm not sure whether he'll change from his Scotty to a Method... but put on the spot I'd say he'd probably stick with his Scotty, I don't see what his personal problems have got to do with him switching putters, the only reason he'll change is if he's draining everything with a Method. The putter is the most valuable club in the bag and when you've had success with it for a long time you feel no need to switch... unless of course you putt with something else better.

When Nike's Unitized range of putters came out I was convinced Tiger would be using the Tiempo model... he didn't, although doesn't mean to say he won't be using a Method and neither does it mean to say he might switch to one of the latest Scotty's. Who knows, but it all makes good speculation.
[/quote]

Tiger did not have his best year from a putting standpoint. In fact, the putter really cost him this past year. I wouldn't expect him to change putters unless it offered demonstrably better performance. If it does, addressing perceived putting issues and pleasing a loyal sponsor at the same time could be a strong basis for a change!

[quote name='mbradley' date='30 March 2010 - 02:02 PM' timestamp='1269972175' post='2350462']
Tiger did not have his best year from a putting standpoint. In fact, the putter really cost him this past year. I wouldn't expect him to change putters unless it offered demonstrably better performance. If it does, addressing perceived putting issues and pleasing a loyal sponsor at the same time could be a strong basis for a change!
[/quote]

He missed quite a few putts that mattered imo, but statistically he was fine last year.

Tiger (from pgatour.com )

total putts
28.44 2009
28.93 2007

puts per gir
1.743 2009
1.733 2007

[quote name='rblmp32' date='30 March 2010 - 02:11 PM' timestamp='1269972694' post='2350483']
[quote name='mbradley' date='30 March 2010 - 02:02 PM' timestamp='1269972175' post='2350462']
[/quote]

He missed quite a few putts that mattered imo, but statistically he was fine last year.

Tiger (from pgatour.com )

total putts
28.44 2009
28.93 2007

puts per gir
1.743 2009
1.733 2007
[/quote]
Stats might have been ok, BUT I think his putting performances in the majors were definately below his standards.IF he made a few more putts at Augusta or the PGA last year, he's got 2 more majors on his resume.

CALLAWAY GBB EPIC SUBZERO 9* OBAN KIYOSHI PURPLE

07 BURNER TP 17.5* MATRIX CODE 8
ADAMS PRO GOLD 3H TOUR ISSUE NV 85
COBRA KING FORGED 5-GW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 56* RAW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 60* RAW KBS TOUR V
TOULON MILLED COLUMBUS CAMERON BLACK MATADOR MID
TAYLORMADE TP5X
CALLAWAY APEX UT 21* RECOIL 110 DEPENDING ON CONDITIONS

[quote name='creecool' date='30 March 2010 - 02:39 PM' timestamp='1269974397' post='2350531']
Stats might have been ok, BUT I think his putting performances in the majors were definately below his standards.IF he made a few more putts at Augusta or the PGA last year, he's got 2 more majors on his resume.
[/quote]

Thanks, think I said that in my post ;) "he missed quite a few putts that mattered"

Overall though, he putted well. Just missed the clutch ones that he usually never misses. It's bound to happen.

The only thing I know is if he's gaming a Nike Method, the bay will be flooded with scotty's, I know people will argue that it won't happen but it will. Mark my words Scotty is going to lose a huge chunk of his market share in the next 5 years.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' date='30 March 2010 - 04:47 PM' timestamp='1269985625' post='2350939']
The only thing I know is if he's gaming a Nike Method, the bay will be flooded with scotty's, I know people will argue that it won't happen but it will. Mark my words Scotty is going to lose a huge chunk of his market share in the next 5 years.
[/quote]

I've seen this posted a few times. I don't necessarily get this. He's covered from head to toe in swooshes- not to mention his bag is stuffed with Nike gear. On top of that, his only non-Nike stick is covered with a Nike headcover when not in use. The general public equates TW with Nike- always will. The one's in the know are aware he uses a SC putter. IMO, neither group makes such a drastic decision based on something they may or may not even know he's using!!

On the flip side, if it happens as you say it will- great! I game a few SC putters. Have been for 12 years. If this means I can obtain something a bit to my liking on the cheap (granted, in pristine condition), so be it. I just dont believe it will play out that way...

[quote name='J13' date='30 March 2010 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1269985625' post='2350939']
[/quote]
Won't happen. Scotty has had his success before Tiger, and will continue to have it after Tiger.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

[quote name='labillyboy' date='27 March 2010 - 07:58 PM' timestamp='1269745087' post='2345176']
From Wikipedia...

"[size="2"][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Woods"]Tiger Woods[/url] uses a Scotty Cameron copy of a Ping Anser 2. It is made similarly to his original Ping which he grew up playing. It is made of 303 German Stainless Steel. Another identical putter has never been able to take the place of Woods' current putter, even with Cameron making 3 to 4 'backup' putters a year. These are never used and typically given away as mementos. German Stainless Steel is a stainless steel from Germany and Acushnet Corporation (Titleist's parent company) holds a Trademark (registration number 2930902) on the term GSS which denotes German Stainless Steel. Woods's putter is 35.25", D7 swingweight and approximately 326 grams. It has a single sight dot and a red "cherry dot" on both the face and in the back cavity. The putter also has a blank sole and has "Tiger" on the left bumper and "Woods" on the right bumper. Tiger uses a Ping grip on his putter. Woods has used a Scotty Cameron putter for all of his professional golf victories and his current putter was first put into play in July of 1999. A number of other professional golfers use Scotty Camerons including those that are on staff of many other major golf companies (Nike, Taylormade, Callaway, etc.).[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotty_Cameron#cite_note-5"][6][/url][/sup] and one reason is that Acushnet, on behalf of Titleist and their Scotty Cameron brand, pay more money to players for using a Scotty Cameron Titleist putter than any other manufacture."[/size]
[/quote]

No way the putter is 326 grams. Maybe the head alone, but not the entire putter.

My guess is Tiger is rolling a new Bettinardi, that would be the only putter he could use that would truly be a step up from a scotty cameron.clapping.gifdrinks.gif

But if he wanted to go two steps up he could buy a Mills ;)