Best Camera to record Swings

Again!
So, I've already seen it posted a couple times back as I've perused the forum, but I want to bring it up again, as several of the better threads are months (years) old.

What are the best recent cameras for taping ones swing? My requirements are:
*Must take SDHC cards as its storage medium
*Must hold a charge long enough to record a golf outing
*Must have some HD capacity, I'm not worried about 1080P mega cameras, but I want to be able to idealy go DTL and maybe even see some limited ball flights
*Must have a good Slow Motion capacity, I'd venture that 300FPS is high enough, but the higher the better
*Must have a decent setup for Nightvision or low light filming as well, this one may sound odd, but I play and practice largely at night, and while the course is lit up, its not nearly as bright as daylight, and so some cameras I've tried are quite terrible at capturing anything.

I'd like to stay at or under $200, but suggestions are welcome at all price points... so lets hear some thoughts!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[b]Disclaimer: I've ordered a EX-FH100 along with a 16GB Class 10 SDHC card, and Joby Gorilla Pod. Haven't gotten to use it yet, but I will be sure to put up a review along with each type of video, and my comments on it's operation on the range/course.[/b]

I've done quite a bit of research on the topic, it would seem there are a couple viable options, the ones I'm most familiar with are all in the Casio family.

The EX-FH100, EX-FH25, EX-FC150 are all good starting points. They all can handle high speed video at 120, 240, 420, 1000 FPS, as well as they have a back-lit CMOS which will aid in the clarity of video, especially high speed video under low light conditions. There are other options for high speed video in the Casio family like the EX-FS10, EX-FC100, but they all employ a CMOS that is not "back-lit" which will leave you with a relatively dark video from what I've seen.

The [b]EX-FH100[/b] is a compact camera with a 10x optical zoom, 10 MP, 24mm wide-angle lens, 3 inch LCD, rechargeable battery - $300 @BH Photo-Video-Audio

The [b]EX-FC150[/b] is an even more compact camera with a 5x optical zoom, 10 MP, 2.7 inch LCD, rechargeable battery - $250 @BH Photo-Video-Audio

The [b]EX-FH25[/b] is a sub-SLR sized full size camera with 20x optical zoom, 10 MP, 26-520mm wide angle lens, 3 inch LCD, Uses AA Batteries - $350 @Adorama Camera (might be able to find it as low as $300, though I don't know the sellers well enough on Amazon to recommend it)

Another large difference between the two compacts is the fact that the FH100 can be controlled manually, the aperture, shutter speed, etc...whereas the FC150 can't.

There are numerous other features of all of these cameras including Multi Motion Image which takes multiple pictures, up to 40fps for 28 shots, and then overlays the object in motion over the still background. Incredible looking picture if done correctly. Basically a Golf Digest photo spread at your disposal (if you can get the timing correct!).

My money obviously went to the EX-FH100 for it's combination of compact size and power (manual controls, optical zoom).

Edit: Forgot to add prices. I apologize if posting other websites that aren't sponsors is not allowed. They are reputable retailers with a long history.

[b]Disclaimer: I've ordered a EX-FH100 along with a 16GB Class 10 SDHC card, and Joby Gorilla Pod. Haven't gotten to use it yet, but I will be sure to put up a review along with each type of video, and my comments on it's operation on the range/course.[/b]

I'm REALLY impressed with the FH-100. Does an amazing job for recording the golf swing, but also does a pretty nice job at every day HD Video recordings. Nice as a point and shoot digital camera too. Good zoom in a very compact and easy to use camera. The editing and playback on the camera is a breeze. I think it's a huge bargain for just over $300!

[quote name='aviator' date='16 May 2010 - 09:34 PM' timestamp='1274060072' post='2446169']
I'm REALLY impressed with the FH-100. Does an amazing job for recording the golf swing, but also does a pretty nice job at every day HD Video recordings. Nice as a point and shoot digital camera too. Good zoom in a very compact and easy to use camera. The editing and playback on the camera is a breeze. I think it's a huge bargain for just over $300!
[/quote]

how does the fh100 work in recording your swing remotely ... do you set it on a tripod, start recording, jump in the field of view and swing, or do you use a remote to start recording, then swing, or ... ?

[quote name='tm3' date='16 May 2010 - 08:43 PM' timestamp='1274060602' post='2446195']
[quote name='aviator' date='16 May 2010 - 09:34 PM' timestamp='1274060072' post='2446169']
[/quote]

how does the fh100 work in recording your swing remotely ... do you set it on a tripod, start recording, jump in the field of view and swing, or do you use a remote to start recording, then swing, or ... ?
[/quote]
I just set it up on a tripod and hit the record button. I'll usually record 2 or 3 swings and then I edit the swings when I get home. The on camera editing is really easy to do and it's also really good for playing back at the range if you are working on something specific.

[quote name='cwdlaw223' date='16 May 2010 - 09:27 PM' timestamp='1274059663' post='2446152']
What is a class 10 card? How easy is playback of the video? The camera looks awesome. Does it record in HD?
[/quote]

Class 10 cards are typically SDHC cards that have a minimum write speed of 80 Mbit/s or 10 MB/s.

Assuming you're talking about the EX-FH-100, from what I can tell in reviews, editing and playback on the camera is not difficult at all, and in most cases required for high speed recording.

Again assuming the FH-100, yes, it records in 720p (1280x720) at 30fps.

I'm so excited! :D

I use a 8gig class 10 card. Each time you start and stop a recording, it shows up in the playback menu just like a picture would. It's nice because you have each video clip on there individually, making playback/editing much easier. You can edit/cut the clips on the camera and then review them or download to your computer/V1 software. It really is simple and straightforward to use. I also like that there is a quick toggle switch for selecting either HD or High Speed video. I will sometimes just record for a couple of minutes in HD and you can actually play it back slower on the camera if you choose. Works kind of like the playback feature on a DVR, normal, 1/2 or 1/4 speed. Very useful IMO.

[quote name='cwdlaw223' date='17 May 2010 - 06:16 AM' timestamp='1274095009' post='2446860']
Is a 8 g card typically enough storage space for average use?
[/quote]
Yes, unless you do A LOT of video. Class 6 cards are fast enough.

A couple of other nice things about the FH-100 is the HDMI connector for playback on HDTV and the HD videos are recorded with stereo audio.

I find that I prefer to offload my raw video and edit on PC. I keep my videos to one swing per to keep the filesize smaller.

[quote name='dannymac63' date='16 May 2010 - 08:24 PM' timestamp='1274055858' post='2445989']

I've done quite a bit of research on the topic, it would seem there are a couple viable options, the ones I'm most familiar with are all in the Casio family.

The EX-FH100, EX-FH25, EX-FC150 are all good starting points. They all can handle high speed video at 120, 240, 420, 1000 FPS, as well as they have a back-lit CMOS which will aid in the clarity of video, especially high speed video under low light conditions. There are other options for high speed video in the Casio family like the EX-FS10, EX-FC100, but they all employ a CMOS that is not "back-lit" which will leave you with a relatively dark video from what I've seen.

The [b]EX-FH100[/b] is a compact camera with a 10x optical zoom, 10 MP, 24mm wide-angle lens, 3 inch LCD, rechargeable battery - $300 @BH Photo-Video-Audio

The [b]EX-FC150[/b] is an even more compact camera with a 5x optical zoom, 10 MP, 2.7 inch LCD, rechargeable battery - $250 @BH Photo-Video-Audio

The [b]EX-FH25[/b] is a sub-SLR sized full size camera with 20x optical zoom, 10 MP, 26-520mm wide angle lens, 3 inch LCD, Uses AA Batteries - $350 @Adorama Camera (might be able to find it as low as $300, though I don't know the sellers well enough on Amazon to recommend it)

Another large difference between the two compacts is the fact that the FH100 can be controlled manually, the aperture, shutter speed, etc...whereas the FC150 can't.

There are numerous other features of all of these cameras including Multi Motion Image which takes multiple pictures, up to 40fps for 28 shots, and then overlays the object in motion over the still background. Incredible looking picture if done correctly. Basically a Golf Digest photo spread at your disposal (if you can get the timing correct!).

My money obviously went to the EX-FH100 for it's combination of compact size and power (manual controls, optical zoom).

Edit: Forgot to add prices. I apologize if posting other websites that aren't sponsors is not allowed. They are reputable retailers with a long history.

[/quote]

Danny - how much did this whole package cost you - the camera, card, pod etc ?

tks

harry

[quote name='BarryG' date='17 May 2010 - 08:50 AM' timestamp='1274100613' post='2446947']
[quote name='cwdlaw223' date='17 May 2010 - 06:16 AM' timestamp='1274095009' post='2446860']
Is a 8 g card typically enough storage space for average use?
[/quote]
Yes, unless you do A LOT of video. Class 6 cards are fast enough.

A couple of other nice things about the FH-100 is the HDMI connector for playback on HDTV and the HD videos are recorded with stereo audio.

I find that I prefer to offload my raw video and edit on PC. I keep my videos to one swing per to keep the filesize smaller.
[/quote]

Doing some quick calculations, it looks like a

1 minute video at 1280x720@30fps would be 197.75MB
1 minute video at 224x64@1000fps would be 102.54MB
1 minute video at 224x168@420fps would be 113.05MB
1 minute video at 448x336@240fps would be 258.40MB
1 minute video at 640x480@120fps would be 263.67MB

I plan on doing most of my recording at 240fps, so 258.40MB per minute, going onto a 16GB card, I'll be looking at approximately an hour of recording time on the card before having to bring it home to edit.

[quote name='harry1252' date='17 May 2010 - 09:47 AM' timestamp='1274104052' post='2447037']
[quote name='dannymac63' date='16 May 2010 - 08:24 PM' timestamp='1274055858' post='2445989']
[b]Huge quote by me![/b]
[/quote]

Danny - how much did this whole package cost you - the camera, card, pod etc ?

tks

harry
[/quote]
So far, $388.43.

I got the [url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672479-REG/Casio_EX_FH100_Exilim_EX_FH100_Digital_Camera.html"]EX-FH100[/url] for $299.99, [url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/519600-REG/Joby_GP1_AREN_Gorillapod_Flexible_Mini_Tripod_f_.html"]Red/Black Gorillapod[/url] for $18.49, and the [url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676620-REG/Delkin_Devices_DDSDPRO3_16GB_16GB_Pro_Class_10.html"]16GB SD Card[/url] for $69.99, though the EX-FH100 is out of stock ATM. You can probably find it at other retailers for the same price. I haven't purchased a case yet, usually like to do that once I have the camera in hand, chances are I'll be grabbing a cheap Lowepro off the shelf from BestBuy though. That'll bring the package to just over $400

Edit: Forgot to mention, shipping was free. Always a good thing!

Does anyone have any experience with the new Samsung TL350? I pulled the trigger on the Casio being that it's their 3rd generation HS camera.

The Samsung has very similar capabilities as the FH100 but seems to have an edge with an [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active-matrix_OLED"]AMOLED[/url] (read: better in the SUN) screen, and the ability to shoot 1080p@30fps, as well as 720p@60fps, the only shortcoming in comparison is the 5x optical zoom vs. the 10x of the EX-FH100.

If anyone has one out there, help us out!

A big consideration for the OP was the requirement of good indoor filming.Although the Casio's are great,there is the new Canon powershot SD4000 IS.This camera only has 240 fps(320x240) but it has a super bright F2.0 aperture lens so it should film better indoors.This compact camera was designed for low light shooting.

If indoor shooting is not a big requirement I would go with the Casio's as they have more high speed modes.

[b]Eye-Fi SDHC card[/b], transfers pictures/video over Wi-Fi network. - [url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=1097&N=4289945371+4291457301"]4GB Connect X2 (Class 6, Auto-Delete)[/url] - $47.99

[b]MyWi iPhone application[/b], creates mobile 3G, Wi-Fi hotspot. - $9.99

Eye-Fi + MyWi = [b]Unlimited Storage[/b] for range sessions, rounds...general photography, NO MATTER WHERE I AM. (Assuming there's cell phone service of some sort.)

This might just get me to return the Class 10 16GB SDHC card I purchased.

[quote name='BarryG' date='18 May 2010 - 07:38 AM' timestamp='1274182731' post='2449688']
[quote name='dannymac63' date='17 May 2010 - 09:07 AM' timestamp='1274105233' post='2447076']
Doing some quick calculations, it looks like a

[color="#1c2837"]1 minute video at 448x336@240fps would be 258.40MB[/color]

[/quote]
Actually, the .avi files created by the FH-100 are about 45MB/min at this speed/resolution
[/quote]

Nope, I'm pretty sure that'd be impossible. Playback wise, that makes sense...44-45MB per minute at 29/30 FPS, but not at 240FPS.

That same "minute long" video is only 7.5 seconds of real time...not exactly helpful when trying to record an hour long range session!

Disclaimer: I've ordered a EX-FH100 along with a 16GB Class 10 SDHC card, and Joby Gorilla Pod. Haven't gotten to use it yet, but I will be sure to put up a review along with each type of video, and my comments on it's operation on the range/course.

The EX-FH100 is a compact camera with a 10x optical zoom, 10 MP, 24mm wide-angle lens, 3 inch LCD, rechargeable battery - $300 @BH Photo-Video-Audio

The EX-FC150 is an even more compact camera with a 5x optical zoom, 10 MP, 2.7 inch LCD, rechargeable battery - $250 @BH Photo-Video-Audio

The EX-FH25 is a sub-SLR sized full size camera with 20x optical zoom, 10 MP, 26-520mm wide angle lens, 3 inch LCD, Uses AA Batteries - $350 @Adorama Camera (might be able to find it as low as $300, though I don't know the sellers well enough on Amazon to recommend it)

Disclaimer: I've ordered a EX-FH100 along with a 16GB Class 10 SDHC card, and Joby Gorilla Pod. Haven't gotten to use it yet, but I will be sure to put up a review along with each type of video, and my comments on it's operation on the range/course.

Thanks for the disclaimer! Not just one but TWO!! good.gif

You forgot the EX-FH20....I just got one and the high speed video is really neat to watch.

Here are some manuals for the Casio EX series if anyone is interested in these:

http://www.exilim.casio.com/support.shtml

...Ever changing