Alberta Courses

6t4gt0

Edmonton & Area:

NOTE: I prefer stand alone courses, with no housing development. I understand the economics especially in an area with a short season.

Coal Creek - Another new course and it's a beauty. They are still filling in bunkers (black sand - very cool), this is nicer than RedTail or WhiteTail. It's another Puddicombe course and I'm becoming a big fan. The only hole I don't like is the 9th, can't see the landing area from the tee and it's too narrow for the length of the hole. It's a bit of a hike from the city (hour from the east end) but well worth the drive, no clubhouse or GPS

The Quarry - Wow, for a new course this is a beauty. 18 holes are open with the other nine scheduled for next year. 5 tee boxes that stretch it out to over 3700 yds per nine. I liked it so much that I played 36 holes, it has issues due to being new, bare spots on the fairways and rough, weeds in the bunkers but just needs time to mature. Great driving range, grass, with a decent chipping area, no excuses not to play well. I will be a frequent visitor.

RedTail Landing - Very nice course, great condition. My favorite in the Edmonton area. Upped their rates and is now the most expensive public course in the area that I know of!

NorthernBear - Great layout, previous issues with water hopefully has been resolved. My #2 in the area. "Above average shape, give it a go"

The Links - Nice course usually in great shape. Housing development ongoing, hopefully won't encroach on the course.

Stony Plain - Fun course, great shape, housing development hopefully won't ruin the course.

Goose Hummock- Fun track but not in great shape this year. Most of the changes are ok but they ruined the 1st hole, used to be a beast now it's lame! Cheap owners hence the condition. (bunkers are a joke, won't even buy proper rakes!)

Riverside - Should be a gem but condition always hovers below average. BLAME THE PRO for the shape of the course, he's in charge not the city. Stay away, lousy shape and not worth what they are charging!

Sturgeon - ok course, ok shape, this course bores me.

Raven Crest - ok course, good shape, has some fun par 5's and the toughest par 4 in the city. Just played there, good shape but the greens are bumpy and some have dead areas!

Cougar Creek - very nice course, very good shape, great front 9, back 9 is ok. In my top 10. Beautiful 1st hole, fun 2nd, beautiful 3rd, nice 4th, basically a great front 9, why don't I get out here more often! 18th hole is one of the worst finishing holes in the city.

IronHead - Great layout but they lost their course manager and unfortunately is not in very good shape.

Broodmoor - OK course, good shape. Greens are in great shape!

Millwoods - OK course usually in good shape, one of those last resort types.

Jagare Ridge - Quirky course, great condition.

Coloniale - Used to be one of my favorites but they ruined this gem with all the houses.

Highlands - Nice course, nice shape, overpriced, staff not very friendly to the public! Semi Private

Lewis Estates - Ruined this course with greedy housing development.

The Ranch - Very nice course (little bit quirky) in great shape, 18th hole sucks from the tips, one option only. Played today, course is in great shape with the exception of the 18th green (just ok).

Indian Lakes - Very nice course that suffers from neglect, morons at Enoch need to get someone else to manage this course!

BlackHawk - Great shape, you either love or hate this course. I don't like blind shots so it's not in my top 10. Now PRIVATE!

BlackBull - played it after 20+ yrs, very good condition but quirky. I'll drive the extra 15 minutes & go to Wolf Creek.

Leduc G&CC - Played for the first time in years, great shape, good course.

Legends - 27 holes, Champions is the best nine but the greens on all 3 are bumpy.

WhiteTail Crossing - Now 18, I played the new (front) 9 after weeks of rain so the fairways, greens, and rough hadn't been cut in over a week so I wasn't very happy and wished I had gone elsewhere.

The first 9 now the back is very nice, love the 18th hole. I'll have to check it out again as others who went when the weather was nice were impressed.

Others:

Kananaskis - the best deal in the province and my #1 course in Alberta.

Jasper Park Lodge - great course, Stanley Thompson design, mountain golf at its best. My #2 in Alberta.

Banff Springs - great course, Stanley Thompson design, beautiful. My # 3 in Alberta.

Stewart Creek - very nice course but I think it's overpriced/overrated.

Wolf Creek - very nice somewhat quirky course. In my top 10.

Paradise Canyon - very nice course, very good shape.

GlenEagles - nice course, but IMO overrated.

RiverBend - very nice course, very good shape.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yep #2 at Raven Crest 472 yds from the tips and you either hit it fairly straight or you're done.

SilverTips => haven't played it yet, last time I was there they didn't have a clubhouse so it's been a while.

Yeah, have to hit it 270 dead straight. Have about 15 yds to land it in or else you kick into either bush. I've played it numerous times with 2h,2h and if i'm on great, if not bogey's better than the 7's i've had before.

Walked around Silvertip last time i was in canmore and it seemed goofy to me. Lots of fairways that would be impossible to hold if you work it the wrong way.

My #1's definatly Redtail as well.

Head out to Mundare and play Whitetail Crossing this spring as well. Awesome layout only 50 minutes away.

And i'll add one more.

My #1 most underrated in the edmonton area.

Barrhead GCC - Great little course was in just mint shape at the end of september

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't think #2 at the Raven is the toughest par 4 in the city.

Tough sure...but that's just because of poor fairway contouring.....

I'd say #10 at the Glendale is a MUCH better and tougher par 4, as are #9 and #18 at the Northern Bear from the tips. Or Blackhawk #17 from the tips as well. #16 at the Country Club is a stiff challange as well. The beauty is that all these holes are good golf holes as well...not just tough because of poor design.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Jasper best course in Alberta IMO

Banff

Stewart Creek

Kananaskis

Heritage Pointe

Paradise Canyon

Redtail Landing

all other courses I would play but Jasper is a jewel.

Been living in Alberta for 5 years now so have played all the must plays.

DSCN0180.jpg

TSR 3 9.5° Tour AD XC 6 X
TSR 3 15° Tour AD DI 8 X

T-200 (3) Modus 3 125 X

T-100 (4-PW) Modus 3 125 X
SM9 (50°,55°,60°) Modus 3 125 S
Special Select - Newport 2
Pro V1X

WITB Pics

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='mikedejong' date='26 August 2009 - 04:08 PM' timestamp='1251324483' post='1916042']
My vote goes to 18 at the Windermere... very tough finishing hole, although a little shorter since the reno.
[/quote]

For Windy I'd say 14 is harder than 18...14 is a beast from the tips and always upwind

as for in the city...I think 9 and 18 at Jagare (although goofy) are still the toughest I've played.

7 at the derrick, 6 at leduc, 9 at mayfair, 9 and 18 at Redtail are no cakewalk either

• 3 weeks later...

If I can add my .02. Just to note, I am a 15 handicap, playing for 38 years, member of Canyon Meadows in Calgary. I have lived in the Calgary area since 1991, give or take.

In Calgary:

Canyon Meadows: Classic parkland style layout, as close to an old-school Ontario style course (think London Hunt) as we can get here in the west. Since they reno'd the greens and altered the back nine significantly, my admittedly biased opinion is that it is top 3 in the city. The replacement and redesign of all the greens and tee boxes using A-4 bentgrass has made the greens much more consistent and easier to read than the old poa. Wide, generous fairways offset by very fast and tough greens. We keep them very very fast, and they tend not to hold too well yet, but they are young. Flattish, eminently walkable, but has it's tricks and turns. Good junior program. Fully private, no public play.

Calgary Golf and Country Club: Old school Stanley Thompson course, recently refurbished greens and tee boxes. Haven't played it since the redo. Solid course but 9, 10 and 18 are quirky holes. I don't think it is worth the ratings it gets in Score Mag. Very private. No public play.

Glencoe: Forest: Tough, some quirky holes, flat and walkable. Suffers from water/drainage issues. Tough course and good ocverall design. Private
Meadows: Friendlier layout, many members prefer it for regular play. Very walkable. Still a challenge. Private.
Glencoe has one of the best practise facilities in the city of Calgary

Pinebrook: Par 70, but with some long holes. Fairways are very generous, huge greens, odd layout. Has the distinction of hitting the highest intitiation fee over 100K a couple years ago at the peak. Easier tee to green due to wide generous fairways, but huge and slopey greens make putting a challenge. Great practise facility. Good junior program.

Willow Park: Private: Tight , shortish, houses too close to course for my liking. Did I say it is tight?

Earl Grey: Private: tight, good layout, some very challenging holes. Not a lot of room between fairways. Parkland style, not too long. Again, ery walkable. Great practise faciltiy and a 9 hole course for juniors, beginners and wait list membrs.

Silver Springs: private: Tight, hilly, solid layout. Slopey greens. Recent clubhouse reno.

River Spirit: Newr course, semi private. Interesting layout, valley holes can be quite special. When Iplayed it, they were first year and suffered from flood damage, but looked like it could mature nicely. Had bad reports of slack tolerance on attire (cutoffs and sandals, but that was years ago).

Elbow Springs: Semi private. Original 18 matches poorly with newer 9. Flat, uninteresting. Shortish I believe too, IIRC.

Heritage Pointe: 27 holes, high end public play: Desert 9 is linksy style, wind can be a huge factor. Heritage and Pointe nines are shortish, wide landing areas, tough greens , and some tough carries. Originally, when first opened 19 years ago, this course was very very hard, as they grew in the rough to knee high, target landing areas and very linksy in style. Reviews were harsh and they cut back and down the rough and I would say now if the wind isn't up, the valley nines can be relatively easy due to short length. Cart only. Pricey.

D'Arcy Ranch, Okotoks: One of my favorites. Rolling terrrain, a tough walk, but do-able. Very nice layout, IMO, but greens getting tired. Still, I look to play it two to three times a year, I like it so much. Some really fun risk/reward holes, very good mix of challenge and toughness. I believe this is one of the most underrated jewels in the country. Views of mountains are spectacular. When wind is up, this is a real challenge.

BearsPaw: Another rolling layout with some challenging and loooong holes. From the tips, this is a very long course. Quite tough too, but fair. Play it from the proper tees, and it is very fun. Tends to have real issues with winterkill every year. One of my favorites, but greens are not consistent. Private, guest play only for non-members.

Lynx Ridge: Runs along the escarpment in the NW across the road from Bearspaw. OK layout, not too exciting, semi private.

GlenEagles: Cochrane: Great vistas as this course runs around a cliff/bluffs overlooking the Bow River valley 600+ feet below. Makes for some elevator shaft style par 3's, which are a bit goofy. Not a long course, playing from the whites is actually quite short. Good layout, conditioning can be dicey early in the season. If I had two public courses in town I had to play regularly, first choice is D'Arcy Ranch south of town, Glen Eagles northwest of town. For any mid-handicapper, you can actually play this course without yur driver. Holes are not that long. When wind is up, it makes this course a bear.

Out of Calgary:

Wolf Creek: Shortish, but when the wind blows, this plays like a classic Scottish or Irish links course. Without wind, it is defenceless. Not long, conditioning spotty, but the price is right. I try to get out to play it every few years.

Stewart Creek: Solid course in the mountains. Great views, a few very quirky holes and a couple of very fun holes, like a very reachable par 4. Very ricey, but will go private soon. Woth it as a one off.

SilverTip. Awesome views. VERY pricey. The layout has been tamed a bit over the years from the initial and IMO, insane Les Furber original design. Good drives can still have odd lies and approaches. Very tough course with high slope rating, but, without question, next to Banff Springs, the best views in the province. You really need to play it a few times to learn the quirks, and it has some silly holes (1, used to be 10). Expect a 5.5+ hour round if at all crowded.

Banff Springs: Gorgeous, parkland style course in the mountains. Generous fairways, but wildlife can be an issue. As it may be with Stewart Creek and SilverTip. Definitely one to play once in a lifetime at least.

Hey Radagast

I agree with hbear other than Country Side, don't get me wrong it is below average but from the back tees it is over 7000 yards. There seems be a lack of courses that have length where you can try and bomb it off the tee. The greens are as slow as heck (but usually in OK shape) which is a big negative (I like fast greens), last year it was very dry but for some reason I like playing it.

For the rate, I'd suggest a course like Legends instead.
Greens are in better shape and the Champions 9 (the newer nine) is a lot of fun.

Granted I haven't played there in years, but from what I remember it was much better than Country-side.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

• 1 month later...

hey guys, i'm pretty new here (on golfwrx) but i am looking to golf this wknd in edmonton. However, first condition is the course must be public, and more importantly somewhat light on the wallet. I know wknd's are not cheap, but the cheaper it is the better, something of good value i guess would be the best. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

// PING G425 LST 9* //

// COBRA F8+ 16* //
// TITLEIST T100 4-P //

// TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 52* / 58* //
// ODYSSEY 7s //

you can fire out to Goose Hummock. Its about 20 or 30 minutes north (Gibbons), and its cheap and in pretty good shape right now. Otherwise I would recommend Stony Plain, also cheap and a really decent public course.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

in my opinion i'd at least play those courses once, granted edmonton springs condition is bad, fairways and rough are hard to differentiate but it is a tough long narrow track if you are not hitting the ball well.
hunter greens conditions are always brutal
ive only played country side once and it was in the fall so i really cant say.
twin willows is a fairly short course and i havent played there for years.
i personally dont like sandpiper but alot of people i know do like it.

if you want courses on the cheap then you kind of have to bear with the conditions.
you could try fox run, jr, indian lakes, devon, wetaskiwin(i hear this is in really bad shape this year) but for best condition and dollar goose hummock

My wife and I are planning on heading to Calgary this summer to see her sister and family. They live in Langdon, so we may be staying out there, or we may stay in the city. Not sure how many rounds I will be able to play, as we are also looking at Victoria for a few days to visit a friend of hers. I have a connection that may be able to get me on a course called Cottonwood. Anyone got any opinions on that one?

My wife and I are planning on heading to Calgary this summer to see her sister and family. They live in Langdon, so we may be staying out there, or we may stay in the city. Not sure how many rounds I will be able to play, as we are also looking at Victoria for a few days to visit a friend of hers. I have a connection that may be able to get me on a course called Cottonwood. Anyone got any opinions on that one?

If so please include pictures of bunkers for Bluefan so he knows what to prepare for, thank you biggrin.gif

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

If so please include pictures of bunkers for Bluefan so he knows what to prepare for, thank you biggrin.gif

Just please make sure the courses have big bunkers. Much easier to explain why I keep finding them that way.....

Did we ko Pa widen those fairways for you yet OPB? :-)