Bridgestone J33

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PREFACE: The first time I struck a J33 driver, I was struck by the FEEL of the clubface, and the muted feel and sound, while experiencing a definite "hot" clubface. I love the feel of this driver. After a few demos, and hearing/reading more about the J33 drivers, I picked up a J33R 420cc 9.5* driver for a very, very low price on ebay, as the 420cc models are available very inexpensively right now since the introduction of the 460cc model. I played the 420cc model as a backup/rotational driver for several months, and then traded it for a J33R 460, initially shafted with a Grafalloy Blue S-flex shaft.

APPEARANCE: Purposeful is the word for the J33R driver. The crown is painted a deep dark metallic black paint scheme. Unusually - there is no alignment mark on the top of the crown, which leads to a very clean appearance. Headcover is a very large squarish combination of mesh fabric and rubber - I wish it had a "sock" to protect the shaft. The sole has very little to no fanfare or awful cosmetics - simply a U-shaped polished sole plate, with simple lettering for "Bridgestone Golf, J33R, and 9.5*", and a simple "B" Bridgestone logo near the toe. 460cc models are also stamped "460cc" on the sole.

The rear of the soleplate has a small elastomer plug with a small steel/titanium "port" that has the appearance of an exhaust pipe! It's hard to figure out the reasoning for the "exhaust pipe" appearance - but according to Bridgestone's literature - the elastomer plug is supposed to dampen unwanted vibrations.

One thing I really prefer is the .335 diameter hosel - I think that .335 shafts feel lighter, and more accurate than .350 shafts. This is a wonderful perk, that does not require you to place a shim on a .335 shaft to install in this clubhead. Thanks Bridgestone!!

The J33R has a very deep large face - at first glance, it appears almost as large as any modern 460cc driver. The face has a unique looking "V" pattern to the scoring lines - at address position, it gives a unique look and appearance in your setup position. Clean, purposeful, and professional is how I would describe this club.

FEEL/PERFORMANCE: The elastomer plug in the J33 must have something to do with the feel. This clubhead simply feels and sounds marvelous! If you're fan of the Titleist 983-series drivers, you'll love this one. It's muted, but gives a nice-sounding "throaoack" sound, with a supremely nice feeling of acceleration. Unlike other drivers (cobra, Cleveland, etc.) - the sound and feel is not tinny or metallic whatsoever. The forgiveness is very acceptable, and I did not notice much distance loss for off-center hits. This is simply a wonderful driver.

DISTANCE: The distance was very comparable to other drivers I've owned/tested. My benchmark standard is my R5, and the J33R keeps up admirably. I did notice a little lower ballflight and more roll with the J33R 420cc vs. the 460cc model. This club is as long as anything on the public market I've ever tested.

CONTROL: Bridgestone's literature indicates the elastomer plug and weight in the rear of the clubhead is very centrally and neutrally weighted. It's true - I could work the ball easily left/right, and the clubhead responds to your swing accurately. If you desire a club that corrects your swing for draw/fade bias - this is not the clubhead for you. This club does PRECISELY what your swing tells it to. If you are in command of your driver swing - and want a club that gives good feedback, and is easy to work left/right, the J33R is a great solution.

SUMMARY: This club is a winner for players with control of their swings, and for golfers who like a more muted less metallic sound and feel. It delivers a very hot, fast feeling of acceleration at impact, with the most satisfying feel and sound of any driver on the market today. The very neutral setup and weighting results in a club for golfers in control of your swing - if you are looking to correct a swing flaw, you should look elsewhere. I hope that more golfers are aware of these wonderful products Bridgestone is producing - they deserve a lot more recognition than they currently get in the US market. If you are a fan of the Titleist 983 series drivers, but want more forgiveness - this club is for you.

UPDATE: Here's my comparison between the 420cc and 460cc models.....

I had a long extended range session with the J33R 460cc/Grafalloy Blue last night, hit at least 2 full buckets of balls with this driver. Here's my observations:

The 460cc is a much better driver than the 420cc model. It launches much higher, is more forgiving, and seems like the face is hotter and springier. The sound at (good) impact reminded me a little of a FT-3 Callaway - muted, solid, and not clanky or clinckity whatsoever. VERY solid feeling at impact.

Control - As with the 420cc model, this driver does EXACTLY what your swing tells it to. It is very very responsive, and behaves accordingly. Good swings are rewarded with powerful, medium trajectory shots, and bad swings are penalized with low&left pulls, high&left hooks, low&right pushes, or high&right slices. This is NOT a corrective clubhead for swing flaws. Like computer programming - this machine does what YOU tell it to. As others have noticed - this club seems to favor a straight ballflight, or a fade. More on this below……

Grafalloy BLUE Shaft - After researching this shaft on various golf forums, I was prepared to hate this shaft, as it supposedly "boardy", "unresponsive", and "heavy" feeling, with a high kickpoint, which normally does not work for me. WRONG WRONG WRONG. I was pleasantly surprised by the Blue - not only does it look beautiful in that royal blue color………it performs well, very very consistently, and seems to reward HARD swings at the ball. With a proper and good driver swing -I was getting very medium trajectory, nice long shots, with about a 15-20 yard fade at the end. It's not as accurate feeling as a Fujikura, not as smooth as a Diamana, but this is a very good shaft I think, and my opinion has changed of it. Very very nice indeed, and it's worth a try.

My next step is to take both my drivers (J33R 460cc/Blue & R5-N/Accra T60) to a launch monitor, and compare the results. We'll see what happens!

SHAFT UPDATE: I just re-shafted with a Graphite Design YS-6 X-flex (untipped) shaft. I am much, much happier with this shaft, as it delivers a powerful "kick" at impact due to the softer tip, and tremendous feel and good balance, thanks to a great clubmaker. I love this setup now, and it's competing with my R5 for main gamer domination.

Summary. I don't think this will kick my R5/Accra out of the bag (yet). The R5 corrects my swing flaws, and I really like it's setup. I was getting better results from the R7 460cc (too expen$ive right now), and the FT-3 Callaway (still too expen$ive, and I'm undecided if I like the sound at impact).

However - the J33R 460cc is very close to the top of my list for the best drivers out there today. Since Bridgestone clubs don't seem as popular with the general golfing public, I was able to snag my 460cc at a GREAT price (I won't shock anyone by the low price I got it for!). For those of you who are better players, with good control of your swings, and don't mind a fade………this may be a great driver head for you. Me like.

Here's a picture of that funky little plug/port in the backside of the driver:

Bridgestone_J33R_06.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got a J33R 460cc....

simple put an awesome driver..

Looks =4.5

Forgivness=4.5

Sound/Feel = 4.5

Distance = 4

Probably the second best driver released this year behind the FT-3. The stock stiff NV65 spun a little much for my liking but it didn't appear to rob me of too much distance..if you are looking for a inexpensive 460cc this maybe the one.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

Looks =4.5

Forgivness=4.5

Sound/Feel = 4.5

Distance = 4

Probably the second best driver released this year behind the FT-3. The stock stiff NV65 spun a little much for my liking but it didn't appear to rob me of too much distance..if you are looking for a inexpensive 460cc this maybe the one.

57626[/snapback]

Could you comment on face angle from address?

Thanks,

Jeff

appears square but I'm measure it as soon as the epoxy cures.. already reshafted it... I know it's not 2.5 degree open like my FT-3 is

-J

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

• 2 weeks later...
I just got the 460cc version of this club and I absolutely love it. Im able to work the ball perfectly and have gained 15 yards over my G5. Think it is definately partly the shaft.

60935[/snapback]

Why do you play with Ping & Bridgestone irons when you have the Mizzie Mp-32 in your avatar :cheesy: :tongue:

61087[/snapback]

What's wrong with that or are youone of the advocates of

play one brand for all clubs"

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01 - PRGR HD 14.5*/CarrysQ 16.5*/19* Crazy Boron Two Tree

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - PRGR CarrysQ 20*/24* COA U-294 Beretta
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

Looks =4.5

Forgivness=4.5

Sound/Feel = 4.5

Distance = 4

57626[/snapback]

I've got the FT-3, 9 degree with the Aldila  NVS gold (stiff).  I can't get it to go as far or straight as my R-7 tp (8.5)  I like the feel of the FT-3 but probably need a different shaft.  You seem to like it...ideas for a shaft?

Could you comment on face angle from address?

Thanks,

Jeff

58080[/snapback]

• 2 weeks later...

? Is the Bridgestone a higher launching driver with the stated loft or lower launching? How does it compare launch wise to the Cally FT-3. I love the FT-3 Tour 9.5* but I am looking for a higher launching driver and the FT-3 Tour only comes in 8.5* and 9.5* and I don't like the close face on the non tour models.

Thanks for any input.

Taylormade M1 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Callaway Apex Hybrids 20* & 23*
Callaway Apex Pro 16 5-PW Project X
Callaway MD3 54* & 58*
Odyssey Versa 1

? Is the Bridgestone a higher launching driver with the stated loft or lower launching? How does it compare launch wise to the Cally FT-3. I love the FT-3 Tour 9.5* but I am looking for a higher launching driver and the FT-3 Tour only comes in 8.5* and 9.5* and I don't like the close face on the non tour models.

Thanks for any input.

The 460 is pretty true to loft. I heard the other versions play lower than the stated loft. They have a very penetrating trajectory that does not balloon, at least not for me. All the ones I have seen set up square.

I have a 460 on the way with an Accra Tour 70. Hopefully I will get it next week. I can't wait. I liked the drivers performance with the stock NV, hopefully this combo will work even better.

Can anyone compare launch angle to an R7 TP? I've heard that the J33R is a fairly low-launch driver.

I currently have an 8.5 degree R7 TP 757 Stiff and like the mid-height, boring trajectory. I also have a 8.5 degree G2 with a Vista Tour 70 Stiff (tipped .5") and like the forgiveness, but hit it too high and with too much spin.

I have on order a 9.5 degree J33R 460 with a 757 Stiff. I'm interested in moving to a 9.5 degree driver because I've found it is easier for me to turn the ball over. But kind of concerned that it might increase my launch too much. I had also considered going to an XS shaft to keep it down.

My SS is 107-110. I have a fairly fast tempo and am able to load the 757 Stiff in my R7 pretty well, though I don't overpower it. I'm an 8 HC and a pretty consistent ball-striker, though my typical big miss is a push or push/fade. My current launch angle and spin are approx. 14 degrees and and 3,200 rpms.

Any thoughts on loft, flex for my J33R?

• 2 months later...

After having both the 420cc 10.5 & 460cc 9.5 drivers and playing them side by side I must say that they are one of the most solid feeling drivers that I have ever played.The 10.5 plays like my 9.5 510TP Tour as far as ball flight and had that nice solid sound when struck. It is nice to be able to ( buy a club off the rack ) that is dead square and is juch great quality. This is one club that is just starting to get the attation it deserves. I will always keep the 510 tour but the J33R will be my bag for this year. Great Club!!

• 2 months later...

I have tried most of the new drivers out there and for me, the Bridgestone J33R 460cc is the best. Great design, nice mid to high ball flight, solid feel, very hot and long with lots of roll, does not look too big at address, and brand new for less than $250. Seems easier to work the ball than most 460cc drivers. Definitely worth a try if you are in the market for a 460cc driver.

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5 Driver
Honma TR21 16* 3 Wood
Honma TR21 Hybrid 19* and 23*
Callaway Apex 21 P-6 Irons
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges 56-14F and 60-4T
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

• 1 month later...

Just got the 460 and all I have to say is WOW!!!!

This is the longest I have ever hit the ball I was able to hit it just as far and a couple of times further than my buddy who usually hits the ball around 290 and 300 on a consistant basis. It came with the NV shaft and I was going to initially change it out for something else but I think I will leave it in there. Man this club is hot!!!!

[center][color=#00ff00][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 9* Matrix Radix S7~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#00ff00][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 3 wood 15* ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Mizuno Mx-300 5-GW ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 56* Black Oxide ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Ping Craz-E Center shafted ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Penta ~[/b][/color][/center]

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like good ol' CostCo is loading up on more "Grey Market" product.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup....Prodid=11140313

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

• 1 month later...

I've tried pretty much everything out there and this is the best.

To me it feels and sounds like a 510tp but with more distance and forgiveness

Ping G425 LST 10.5* Tour 65 S
Ping G425 Max 14.5* Tour 75 S
Ping G425 Hybrids 19*/22* Tour 85 S
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW DG 120 S400
Mizuno T20 Raw 50,54,58 DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron Phantom x 5 34"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the tip about the J33. I went to try the [email protected] degree and compared it against my tour Hi-Bore 9.5 and my 8.5 degree 510 TP. The J33 is just as long as the Hi-bore tour, the trajectory split the difference of the other drivers, and it feels as good as my TP. And all of this with a stock NV 75gram shaft. Of course I took it home. Thanks again for the tip :-)

• 1 month later...

Bridgestone J33R 460 vs. Ping G5 question. I'm bidding on a 10.5 J33R 460 Aldila NV65S on eBay. It seems the prices on these are dropping no doubt due to end of year, new club debuting, etc. I want to get some feedback from those of you who could compare this club with the Ping G5 with the same shaft. I really like my G5, but have been reading these comments and feel compelled to try the B'stone as a backup driver. Comments, please! Thanks in advance.

i have both 420 10.5* and 460 9.5* drivers w/nv shafts. love them both. very very long. lower trajectory.

they do have subtle differences in sound and feel. to me the 420 gives better feedback through sound. they both have very hot springy faces but the 420 seems snappier and quicker. the 420 lets you know by sound you have hit it well. sounds like the G5. the 460 is fairly new to me but the sound is a more deadened. off center and true hits sound fairly the same. the 460 is more forgiving than the 420 and mis-hit distance seems longer. the verdict on distance is still out with me since i have only had the 460 for a short time. i think its the fact that i had the 420 for a while and know exactly when i hit it perfect and just havent got the exact feeling of the 460's sweet spot, but with me that is always the problem when i switch drivers. but so far the are both awesomely long. my previous driver was the mizuno composite. no comparing them. j33's are way longer than the mizuno driver.

Just changed shafts in my Bridgestone 460 10.5 from Diamana Blue to the V2 shaft, for me this is "the shaft" for the Bridgestone. After using HIBORE and trying friends j33r with NV I have found the driver and shaft combination that works for me. Also switched from B330S to the Bridgestone E6 and am pleased so far with this ball especially the price.

Ping G430 Max 10K w Alta 55

Ping G430 5 wood w PD-70

Ping G425 7 wood w Slay 55

Ping G430 9 wood w Speeder EVO6

Ping G430 6 Hybrid w PX Red Smoke
Srixon ZX5 6-PW w Recoil 660

Vokey SM8 50.12 F Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey SM10 56.12 D Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey Wedgeworks 60.08 K Grind w Recoil 95

Odyssey Jailbird

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I finally got to use my 10.5 degree J33r with speeder 757 stiff (tipped 1.25 inches) for a full round at the weekend. What a beast! it is a full inch shorter than my Ping G2 but hits it further! I didn't think that was possible.

The ball flight is perfect and much lower than you would expect from a 10.5 head. I would now not consider going any lower in loft. The ball flies on a beautiful mid trajectory with low spin and hits the ground running.

But the best part about this driver is the feel. It feels almost exactly like my old R510 TP, but with a larger head and more forgiveness.

I cannot begin to express how fantastic this driver is! Sits 100% square and looks beautiful at address. Sounds great and goes a mile! This driver will be in my bag for a LONG time.

At the current prices, if you suffer from too much spin (hello all you Ping driver players), you owe it to yourself to give it a try. Fantastic!

919THI 11.5° / 1° open
929hs 20° / dead square
775hs 21° & 24° & 27°
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 6-pw
MP-T11 50° & 55° / MPT4 61°
Ping Sydney 33"

• 4 weeks later...

Last season I tried a J33R 460 with an NV65 and I just ballooned everything and gave it up after a couple of rounds.

But...still struggling for the perfect mid/high launch, low spin combo and reading ++reviews on the head I thought Id try again with an 8.5* head and much lower spinning shaft.

Just got one with the Aldila VS Proto and is much better combo. Only played 2 rounds still but hit some nice shots and decent distance. Would love to get this on a flight monitor to see exactly whats happening as Im still not getting the ideal flight and it doesnt seem to be running on landing so maybe my search continues!

If anyone has any experience sucessfully lowering their spin with this head and a different shaft please let me know and I may buy a couple more to test against each other.

I wish I had a Vector launch system in the garage!

DR: TaylorMade Qi10 LS  6.5° | autoFlex SF505X Yellow

DR: TaylorMade Qi10 DESIGNER SERIES BLACK OUT  7.5° | autoFlex SF505X Rainbow

HY: Callaway Epic Flash #3  17° | Aerotech SteelFiber fc75 F4

4-PW: Callaway Epic Forged 19 | Aerotech SteelFiber fc90 F4

GW: Titleist Vokey WEDGEWORKS RAW M Grind    50° | Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
SW: Titleist Vokey WEDGEWORKS RAW Low Bounce K  57° | Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
LW: Titleist Vokey WEDGEWORKS RAW T Grind  61° | Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
P: Scotty Cameron H21 Limited Proto PX-7.5-SN-TB | Tour Black 34.5”
B: CTX/TP5X/-PROV1X Still testing

Bench
HY: PING G410 #3 19° |  Veylix Arcane Wildeye Rainbow Copper Mod S

P: Titleist Scotty Cameron TOUR ISSUE Newport Concept 2 CIRCLE T WELD NECK  | 34”