snap hooks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get the club in front of your body. Do the Vijay drill. Put a metal rod on the other side of the ball towards the target side of the ball.

When the club gets behind you and swings out to the right it will hit the metal rod breaking your club and then you will know.

It should cure you in about 2 drivers.

TM SIM Max 11.1* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 6S
3 Wood Titleist TSR 15* Fujikura Ventus Red VC 7S
5 Wood Titleist TSR 18* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 8S
7 Wood Callaway BB 2004 21* Pro Launch 75s
4-PW Srixon Zx7 Modus 105s
MG4 54 SB Modus 105w, MG4 60 SBC Modus 105w

Scotty Cameron

• 2 weeks later...
was wondering how to cure snap hooks, i come inside about 8-9 degees inside and sometimes fighting a snap hook.  any drills or suggestions on how to rid this.  other than the snap hook i can pretty much work the ball at will

14988[/snapback]

Don't release down the line try something like this ) on the release your doing this \ i can't really explain it very well without showing you hope it helps!

TM R9 SuperTri TP 8.5° FujiMotoreF1-S
Ping Isi 3W 15°
Adams Super 17° Voodooo S
Ping i20 4-PW CFS-X
TM TP-Y 52°, Nike Vr 56° 60°
Yes! Madison 34" SS Flatso

Swing the club from the inside and back towards the inside again without releasing the club to the right of the target line.

Jim Flick used Justin Leonard's two plane swing to demonstrate how he fights his hook by returning the club back inside right after impact.

Swings that use too much right hand action also have tendencies for snap hooks.

Good luck.

was wondering how to cure snap hooks, i come inside about 8-9 degees inside and sometimes fighting a snap hook.  any drills or suggestions on how to rid this.  other than the snap hook i can pretty much work the ball at will

14988[/snapback]

Odds are that you are attacking the ball from too far inside the target line with too weak a grip which requires you to manipulate the clubhead with your hands to square the face at impact......I'd also guess that your arms/club are out of synch with your trunk in the backswing.....ie. the club/arms continue on or "run-off" when your backswing trunk rotation has been completed.....ideally you want the arms/club to stop at the same instant that the shoulder rotations stops in the backswing......that is they are "in synch"......when the arms/club continue after the shoulder/torso have completed their backswing turn/windup the arms get behind the trunk.....ie. right elbow gets waaay too close to the body or, in a worst case scenario, behind the body.....the left arm breaks down at the elbow in which case the arc the clubhead is following collapses.....etc. etc. etc......When these things occur it will be necessary for your arms/club/hands to make up the "gap" in the downswing to square the face at impact.......in other words if your arms/club continue on for 10 "frames" after your shoulders have completed the backswing turn (as viewed from video footage) then you have a 10 frame "gap" ....your 10 frames "out of synch".......this "gap" must be made up in the downswing or by compensating with either an excessivley strong grip or excessive hand action through impact.......remember that a compensating move is nothing more than an error for an error.......very difficult to time and always inconsistent......

There are any number of techniques/drills/feels to elimnate, or at least reduce, a hook. Try the following until you find one that works for you.....

Increase the grip tension in the last 3 fingers of your left hand (assuming that you are right handed)...."feel" as if the vast amount of your grip pressure is located in these 3 fingers......Make SURE that the club is being gripped in the fingers of the left hand......NOT in the palm......your DOA if your grip is too weak......DOA

Speed up the rotation of your torso to the left in the downswing....."clear out" the left side.....using an Impact Bag is VERY good at ingraining the feeling of clearing the left side while hitting with the right side......with passive hands/arms

Try the hooded face drill.......set up normally with a 6 or 7 iron except the face of the club is closed......up to 45deg......make sure your grip is normal just as if the clubface was square........then try and hit shots straight from this exaggerated closed clubface position........when you can do it you will be trapping the ball against the turf from a highly "leveraged" position.......in order to hit straight shots from this closed clubface position your arms must be connected and in synch with your torso and the torso must be clearing/rotating left with tremendous speed.....ALL attributes found in powerful golfswings.....

You can try the image of the toe of the club never catching the heel......in other words the heel of the club is leading the toe at impact......a great drill using this image is to place a glove/washrag under your left armpit......way up in the pit......then try and hit "punch" 7 irons with the image of the toe never catching the heel.......

A drill I use quite often with my students who come to far from the inside on the downswing is the "box" drill.....I take an old golf club shipping box and set it down on the ground parallel to the target line and approximately 6" or so inside the target line (between your toes and the target line.....) Then the student trys to hit shots with their driver without hitting the box and while trying to hit a fade/pull......they THINK they are going to pull or fade the ball but they rarely do in actuality........usually their ball flight straightens out and they learn to quite the hands/forearm rotation......

Another "image" you can try is the feeling of "pulling" the handle/butt of the club to the left with your left side through impact.......this is a tricky drill that I usually on use with tour players/excellent players......works like a charm with them to eliminate hooking........

You could also try placing lead tape on the toe of your driver......you'd be surprised what 3 or 4 strips of lead will do to temper the rotation of the clubhead through impact........I set up all of my good players drivers this way........at least D-4 up to E-0.......set the driver up anti-hook so that they can rotate their bodies as hard as they want without the clubhead "over-releasing".......depends completely on the characteristics of the shaft and your swing as to how much tape to apply......

Gosh, I could go on and on.....but I'll stop here.......hope something in this post helps you........I KNOW how frustrating fighting the duck hooks can be......ruined my college career and took me several years to completely eliminate.......hang in my friend!