Websites that are "too good to be true" -

profsmitty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='stevey828' date='18 May 2010 - 11:09 PM' timestamp='1274238555' post='2452056']
Mygolfwholesale.com ........ someone please tell me you have used this site and had no problems because I want to buy a couple of these Scottys. If not please take a look at it and force me to walkaway before I spend too much money here [url="http://www.mygolfwholesale.com/"]My link[/url]
[/quote]

Lol...dude that's so a rip off it's not even funny. If they were legit, they couldn't advertise prices under Titleist's MAP.

Stay away, and clearly you need to ask us from now on before you make a purchase. You don't buy new Scotty Cameron's for 150 bucks legitimately. :)

• 3 weeks later...

[b]Put this bogus outfit on the list:

[size="5"]http://www.myprowholesale.com/[/size]

Last week a friend was looking for some new Titleist AP2's and came within a whisker of providing credit card info but he called me first. (The $369.00 price was a little tip-off.) I immediately submitted the site to the folks at GolfWRX.com and was quickly informed that this site is based in China and selling nothing but knockoffs. Man, was my buddy amazing and gratified.

DON'T BUY JUNK! It just keep these crooked liars in business![/b]

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a new one [url="http://www.discountsforgolf.com"]www.discountsforgolf.com[/url]. I got hosed on a set of Titleist AP2 wth PX 6.0. I will say they passed every one of the "How to spot a fake" test except for the magnet. I sent Titleist a email today with the SS# and a link to the web site but have not gotten a reply back from them yet.

I would like to add this website as well to the good list of "fake artists" :

[url="http://www.golfwholesaleseller.com/"]http://www.golfwholesaleseller.com/[/url]

They have very aggressive prices and I ordered a good Taylor Made R9 bundle set. However I insisted on having visual proof or confirmation from Taylor Made that the clubs were genuine and lack of that made me cancel the order.
In their own words:

"[size="2"]All our clubs are OEM(original equipment manufacturer)products with high quality and good performance.[/size][size="2"]They do haveserial #, but due to that they are majority made for Hongkong and japan market, we are not sure all of them could be registered on the web.They are OEM Clubs, I am sure you will enjoy them when you get them."[/size]

Has anyone ever purchased from discountgolf18.com.. I read a post where someone talked to one of their employees through there live chat and they stated that all of their products are OEM from asian suppliers. Does this sound legit? I got a great deal on a set of Callaway diablo edge irons, but a sticker on each club said "head mfg in China, Shaft mfg in US, assembled in US". Clubs arrived in reasonable time, but were shipped from China??

Yep - prices at golfwholesaleseller are too good to be true. $349 for a 3 - sw set of G15.... Something else doesn't look right if you poke around their website (I probably picked up a virus or two along the way)

[b]Get Sand Golf Succeed [/b]06/25/2010

[i]It depends on the four things: right generate, correct method and consistent point of access, if you want to make your golf game more enjoyable. It is also very importat for you to achieve sand golf success. You ought to make use of a sand pitching wedge when playing short sand shots around the environment friendly. A sand wedge may vary by 55 to 58 diplomas of loft with 8 to 12 diplomas of jump. I personally select a 58-degree sand iron wedge with 8 college diplomas of rebound.
[/i]

If you want a good laugh, read through the message board : http://www.golfwholesaleseller.com<br><br>Sample: "Comment DarcyDark: feeds of user commentedCallaway FT i-Brid Irons 3-9PS (29/05/2010 09:35:30) stars5.gifSuper Chunkster Long Iron cum Hybrid clubs. Were it not for all the technology that went into these, and realizing that I may have a personal bias towards more traditional hybrids in the long irons, these clubs may have walked out w/only 3 stars."

A few days ago, I listed one of my clubs on craigslist for sale. Some guy replied asking me why I was trying to rip him off. He said he could get the same club for much less and new at golfequipment18.com. Hmmm....what a surprise, the website tries to sell fake clubs. The tell-tale sign is in their own FAQ section....they ship EMS. More fake garbage from the den of liars. I let him know that that site was clearly a fake but he didn't believe me. I'm guessing he just threw away his $129 on inferior garbage.

Seriously, are some people that naive? If some site is offering a $300, current model, name-brand club for $129, shouldn't that set off a red flag? Or are some people just in denial or believe that counterfeit clubs are just as good as the real deal? fool.gif Keep in mind that the major manufacturers price protect their newer stuff. Anyone in violation will have their inventory pulled and won't get more from that manufacturer.

[quote name='bunks10' date='26 January 2010 - 10:16 AM' timestamp='1264529804' post='2205326']
Things tp Ponder

The sites mentioned in this thread are selling fakes......
[list=1][*]Are fakes any worse than clones? Most pictures of the clubs are the same as the name brand they represent....[*]Are titanium driver heads made of titanium from both the fakes and clones?[*]The shafts are the exact match to the real thing....[*]Do the fakes not perform as well as the retail models or clones?[*]Aren't most name brand components manufactured in China?[*]What's to say that many clubs sold on e-bay weren't purchased from the China Wholesale sites....[*]What makes a fake a fake?[/list][/quote]

Let me answer your questions (this comes from prior experience with some friends who bought these fakes):
[list=1][*]Usually, since inferior materials are used and quality control is virtually non-existent. Yes, the pics are sometimes the same, it's part of the deception (that's one reason why they are counterfeit)[*]Generally not. Steel is often used in fakes, although low grade titanium is sometimes used.[*]They are not. The graphite/steel components usually differ in weight and flex.[*]Hmm.... inferior components combined with gross inconsistency between products. Loft are way off. Yeah, NO.[*]Those that are use different materials, processes and pass quality control with some tolerances.[*]That's actually quite common for new clubs on eBay and why you should do some research. If unsure, call the manufacturer and ask if that seller is authorized.[*]Clones often lack the technology (usually protected by a patent) and/or use lesser materials i.e. lower grade metals, rubber compounds, etc.. Also, they clearly state that they are CLONES! On the other hand, crooks selling counterfeits are trying to pass these abominations off as the real deal except they use inferior materials and club making processes. Often the lofts are completely off, materials are completely different (steel head instead of titanium).[/list]

Then again this person may be have some vested interest in the sale of counterfeits.

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate the help guys, but has anyone found out that a site listed on this post turned out to be legit? Several of the "things to look for warnings" pass the test on a couple of these sites, so was wondering if any of the WRXer's made their first mistake on any of the posts? :) I have not purchased from the sites, so i am not basing this on experience. No accusatory tone meant, just a comment based in curiousity.

[quote name='j.b.newton' date='20 July 2010 - 02:34 PM' timestamp='1279650861' post='2588476']
I appreciate the help guys, but has anyone found out that a site listed on this post turned out to be legit? Several of the "things to look for warnings" pass the test on a couple of these sites, so was wondering if any of the WRXer's made their first mistake on any of the posts? :) I have not purchased from the sites, so i am not basing this on experience. No accusatory tone meant, just a comment based in curiousity.
[/quote]

You're forgetting the simple rule: if it sounds too good to be true, then chances are the clubs are fake. Some of these and other suspect sites actually have prices that are in a "believable" range, making it harder to discern from legitimate online retailers. Good example: [url="http://www.ebayoyo.com/"]http://www.ebayoyo.com/[/url]. Safest way to tell is to go to the big legit sites like [url="http://www.tgw.com"]www.tgw.com[/url], [url="http://www.golfsmith.com"]www.golfsmith.com[/url], [url="http://www.dickssportinggoods.com"]www.dickssportinggoods.com[/url], [url="http://www.rockbottomgolf.com"]www.rockbottomgolf.com[/url] and [url="http://www.edwinwatssgolf.com"]www.edwinwatssgolf.com[/url] and do a price comparison across the board (new vs. new), not just on the clubs you are interested in (to account for discount sales, etc). If the site you are unsure about is substantially cheaper across the board, then chances are they are selling fakes. And if you are still unsure, simply contact the original manufacturer and ask them if that site is an authorized retailer.

As far as quality of the fakes go, a recent edition of Golf or Golf Digest magazine ran an article about the fakes and how they differ fromt he real thing. Workmanship on the fakes is shoddy, especially when you cut a fake driver head in half. But one of the main things that makes the fakes perform worse than the real deal is that the shafts are so inferior that there is no consistency in shots because of the twisting. Imagine a plain old plastic tube instead of a shaft, and you get the picture. Here are some pictures of fakes cut in half: [url="http://www.golfmagic.com/equipment-news/exposing-the-secrets-of-fake-golf-clubs/6900.html"]http://www.golfmagic.com/equipment-news/exposing-the-secrets-of-fake-golf-clubs/6900.html[/url].

A couple of years ago I bought a Nike Sumo SQ off of one of these Chinese "wholesale" sites. I paid about $80 when the geniune counterparts were selling for about $180. Anyway, I put a different shaft in it (don't remember what, it wasn't very expensive), and played with my fake Nike for about a year--the reason being that I compared it to a buddy's genuine Sumo and my fake hit the ball farther with the new shaft. That may have been because of the shaft or loft or a wieght difference, but the point I am trying to make is that the fake clubs heads aren't always terrible, however the shafts will get you.

Either way, not worth taking the chance because from Chinese backyard counterfeit factory to Chinese backyard counterfeit factory, you never know what you are going to get. I've seen driver heads come off cheap clubs on the range, so don't get sued when your cheap knock-off driver head hits some dude's kid.

Thanks for the response. I guess my curiosity goes more to the "less technical clubs" like putters. I realize the vast R&D that goes into putters, espeially the high end ones. I would also think that the driver/hybrid heads would be more susceptible to the shotty manufacturing and fake materials. If someone were to get duped by buying an obvious fake (for most people) scotty or betti for $150, where would the see the differences? Would they be better than a walmart/kmart purchase? Enjoy the thread...thanks for the discussions.

Also, anyone know anything about gppgolf.com? Great prices and looks legit, so would like some feedback before i drop $$

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all of the WRXers who have contributed to this thread. I hope that we have contributed to keeping honest people from getting ripped off. We will never keep all the crap from infecting the bags of serious golfers but at least we have made the issues known.

A couple of things:
[list=1][*]OEM means "original equipment manufacturer". If a factory makes a crap club - it is the original manufacturer of the club. It doesn't mean that it is the manufacturer of the club it proports to be. Nice word play that means absolutely nothing, IMHO.[*]Craigslist seems to be quickly catching up to the internet as the marketing outlet of choice for moving this crap into the bags of the unwary. Basic rule still applies - IF IT SEEMS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS.[/list]

[quote name='j.b.newton' timestamp='1280009169' post='2596745']
Also, anyone know anything about gppgolf.com? Great prices and looks legit, so would like some feedback before i drop $$
[/quote]

I'm gonna assume that gppgolf.com is legit since they're one of the sponsors! I have ordered from them and been very satisfied.

Srixon Z785 
Cleveland Classic XL 14*, Black Tie X
Srixon Z945 3-PW, Project X 6.5
Cleveland RTX 3 52*, 56* 60*, Dynamic Gold 
Odyssey Sabretooth Backstryke w/Flat Cat 

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='smith5606' timestamp='1244288718' post='1739342']
As some of you may know, I have a semi-longstanding interest in websites that offer deals on golf equipment that are too good to be true. Some of my personal favorites are

"golfinstock.com"
"ebayoyo.com"
"overstockseller.com"
"maxdiscountgolf.com"
"wowogolf.com"

[b]Note Recent Additions (6-10-09)[/b]

"askforgolf.com"http://www.easybuygolf.com/Ping-G15-Irons-Set_199.html
"dhgate.com" (This one seems particularly interesting. Sort of a Wal-mart for "interesting" merchandise)

[b]More additions (8-27-09)[/b]

"easybuygolf.com"

These sites are very closely related. Read the FAQ sections of each and you can see that they are written by the same person(s). Read through the text on each of these sites, and you will note very, very awkward phrasing, misspellings, and other markers that indicate that the text was written my someone who is not a native English speaker.

It seems that these wonderful business people have discovered GolfWRX. I have seen recent posts that indicate to me that there is a more or less concerted attempt by person or persons unknown (very Jack Webbish, don't you think) to get the names of these sites out to the WRX community in some legitimatizing form. You can make of them what you will. I know how I would take them - with a level of righteous indignation that I usually reserve for spiders, gophers, and other noxious varmits.

Please help in this effort. If you know of other sites that sell or promote golf equipment of dubious heritage, let your fellow WRXers know who they are. I will try to keep this list updated, with your help. Please help keep this business model in the perspective it deserves.
[/quote]

[quote name='smith5606' timestamp='1251429485' post='1918837']
I know that I am not keeping up the list as well as I would like but the sites keep popping up faster than they can be identified. Feel free to add questionable sites to this thread. It's probably not much but if it keeps one person from wasting their money, it's worth it.
[/quote]

I have one that is a Verified SCAM .....Verification of this claim has been provided by Taylormade USA. Unfortunately, I was a victim OF A VERY POOR/FAKE Taylormade R9 Superdeep.

The following Mainland China on-line Retailer Is A Proven Seller of Counterfeit Taylormade Products:

[b]WWW.GOLFONLINEHOTSALE.COM[/b]

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this thread!
I came across a website yesterday that fell into the 'too good to be true' bracket

www.golfclubsnz.com

which i found by searching for pages in NZ with the term 'Rapture V2'

The tip about left handed clubs is a good one!

For a while I was thinking i'd found a genuine bargain (mainly because of the JDM brands) but there are quite a few fishy things (unbelievable prices, global free shipping, currency selection, no contact address/phone number", 9999 units of each club available, model no's. like golfclubshop.us100, no left handed options).

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JMBZL' timestamp='1274832939' post='2467182']
[url="http://golfselling.com/"]http://golfselling.com/[/url]
[/quote]

http://www.golfselling.com/goods-202-Titleist+AP2+710+Forged+Irons.html

With the titleist ap2, What shaft options do you offer? The clubs are authentic titleist irons? Many thanks
Admin Replay (2010-11-03 13:08:11)

Dear sir, thanks for your intrest in our golf irons. For graphite shaft, you can have the ALOIA VS as displayed in the pic, and for steel shaft, you can choose project x, True temper Dynamic Gold S300 and NS pro 950. [b]They are from the original equipment manufacture factory.[/b] Best regards, golfselling

lol.....

So, are these rejects from the various manufacturers factories located in China? Looks like too many models to be "fake" but probably just a matter of some quality control issue and they get rejected and sold to third party, ie Golfselling.com (they are out of China). Interesting

DRIVERS (TBD):  COBRA DARKSPEED LS Tour 9*, Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 60s //  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

[quote name='Mike.I' timestamp='1285342275' post='2712090']
Anybody had any dealings with XXXXXXXXXXXXX.com. Lots of the atttributes of this site are similar to the warning signs put out in other posts. Titleist AP2 3-PW for only $400? Too good to be true? Thanks.
[/quote]

I used XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX about 8 weeks ago to buy a TaylorMade SuperTri driver, R9 3wood and R9 number 2 rescue. They all arrived safe and well; however it took about 2-3 weeks to receive the goods. It appears the company sends their stuff from Taipei.