Need some suggestions for a CS mallet...

cmb71

desperation... at the breaking point.
I am looking for suggestions here - I am absolutely desperate. I am looking to GolfWrx members for models/brands of center-shafted mallets that I could try. A brief background on me - I am a low HC player (average scores 70-74 on the close to 7,000 yd home course I usually play), former JuCo golfer. I am a straight hitter, above average length but not what I would call a long hitter, iron play is above average, good wedge player, and lately a HORRIBLE putter. I had a depressing moment last night as I was prepping for this morning's round trying to find a putter to bag. I counted 39 putters in my "rotation" and none of them really suits me. Ugh... it made me sick to type that. I spent an hour sampling my putters because as of late I simply cannot get the ball in the hole. Tee to green, my game is almost as good as it has ever been. This morning, I hit 16 greens, no penalties, and shot 76. Multiple 3 putts, and ZERO birdies. This is how it's been for me over the last month so to say I am at my wits end is an understatement. After some time to reflect, I realize I putt the best with a center-shafted mallet type putter as my stroke is more SBST. Sadly in my collection of 39 putters, soon to be more I fear, I only have one CS mallet in the mix. It's a Monza Corza CS which I have already eliminated from contention because it feels very "clicky" and metallic. I prefer the feel of a carbon steel putter, or perhaps an insert putter with a soft (not mushy) feel. The AGSI insert in my Corza just doesn't feel right to me.

Is there anything out there that fits the bill? I was looking at Betti BC5's but not sure I can even try one anymore because it's an older model... most shops wouldn't have one, right? I do prefer a more conventional look as well, so the Ping Craz-E's and types like it turn me off in the looks department. CS putters seem to work better for me because I feel I am able to line them up better than a heel shafted, face balanced mallet or blade putter. I really have tried everything... short putters - longer putters, light putters - heavier putters, I have putter bending equipment so I have tweaked putters, reshafted putters, taken lessons, been through putter fittings, and on and on. So, do I sound desperate enough? :rolleyes: This is the first time I am appealing to the minds of the greatest online golf community for help, so any suggestions for models I should try would be greatly appreciated. Price is not really an issue - I have 39 putters I can sell. :black eye: Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my humble opinion, you seem to be over-thinking the process of putting. I would recommend reading or rereading "Putting Out of Your Mind" by Bob Rotella. One of the points he talks about is picking a putter and sticking with it. Good putters rarely change putters. The fact that you have 39 is worrisome. Putting is like hitting free throws in basketball. You can't think hard about it, thinking hard wont help you make more. You just have to see the target, and roll the ball to the target. Thoughts of your putter, stroke, or anything else should be nonexistent.

Look at the Rife Barbados CS. Lovely looking putter with nice technology. Definitely confidence inspiring.

TM M1 9.5*
Titleist 917 3W
3-PW Mizuno MP-53 w/ Nippon Modus 3 120S
50*, 54*, 58*, Vokey Wedges
TM TP Collection Ardmore 3

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/383570-wanted-center-shafted-face-balanced-putterno-insert/page__p__2503181&#entry2503181

read this post I started awhile ago.

I am getting a Byron Morgan 007 CS Aluminum bronze putter

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 50.08F & 56M DG S200

Callaway Jaws Raw Face Chrome 60Z DG Spinner 115 Steel

39" Odyssey Jailbird LE 380 Microhinge Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

[quote name='jwalaballa' date='23 June 2010 - 10:43 PM' timestamp='1277347407' post='2529146']
In my humble opinion, you seem to be over-thinking the process of putting. I would recommend reading or rereading "Putting Out of Your Mind" by Bob Rotella. One of the points he talks about is picking a putter and sticking with it. Good putters rarely change putters. The fact that you have 39 is worrisome. Putting is like hitting free throws in basketball. You can't think hard about it, thinking hard wont help you make more. You just have to see the target, and roll the ball to the target. Thoughts of your putter, stroke, or anything else should be nonexistent.

Look at the Rife Barbados CS. Lovely looking putter with nice technology. Definitely confidence inspiring.
[/quote]

You're right on the over-thinking... I am a "feel" player with the rest of my game, yet putting has become a search for "what changes could I make to get things back on track?" I certainly have too many thoughts running through my mind prior to address and over the ball. I may check out the book too, but I don't want to get too caught up in reading about putting, technique or not. I do realize sticking with a putter or two is the best method, and the fact that I have 39 is not as much a reflection on my putting woes as you might think. Still, having that many options around does tend to create more problems when my putting is as bad as it has been. I really like the look of the Barbados CS... completely forgot about Rife. I really do appreciate your thoughts and advice. I knew I could turn to the members for some help.

[quote name='odshot68' date='23 June 2010 - 10:48 PM' timestamp='1277347696' post='2529154']
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/383570-wanted-center-shafted-face-balanced-putterno-insert/page__p__2503181&#entry2503181

read this post I started awhile ago.

I am getting a Byron Morgan 007 CS Aluminum bronze putter
[/quote]

I have to laugh... I am one who gets annoyed when reading topics that have been covered time and time again. Oops! Looks like a fairly recent thread here... that I didn't search for... shame on me. It looks like you are/were looking for something similar. Thanks for cluing me in on your thread! I am not opposed to an insert putter, and prefer a mallet shape, but other than that very similar. Thanks again!

All good suggestions so far... many thanks! The only one I had thought of trying was the Odyssey White Ice listed above since I know it's available at a shop in my area. I am unsure what to do about those that aren't - Gauge, SeeMore, and Byron's of course are not available to try before I buy.

I am receiving my bryon in the next couple days and will give a full review on here.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 50.08F & 56M DG S200

Callaway Jaws Raw Face Chrome 60Z DG Spinner 115 Steel

39" Odyssey Jailbird LE 380 Microhinge Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

[quote name='cmb71' date='24 June 2010 - 08:12 AM' timestamp='1277385164' post='2529725']
All good suggestions so far... many thanks! The only one I had thought of trying was the Odyssey White Ice listed above since I know it's available at a shop in my area. I am unsure what to do about those that aren't - Gauge, SeeMore, and Byron's of course are not available to try before I buy.
[/quote]

That's a Japan/UK-only version....but if you can find it - that's great. I have owned the Type M1 for several years and it's been fine. Dave Whitlam used to make them - call him at Whitlam Golf or Gauge Design and see what he says...he ought to be fairly responsive. I would love to get my hands on the White Ice IX #5 here in the US, but Cally says they only have released a few of the White Ice models (they are black in color)...but not the #5 stateside.

[quote name='just372' date='24 June 2010 - 12:14 PM' timestamp='1277396080' post='2530162']
How about the Bettinardi Mizuno 5 putter. That is a CS mallet that has the fit face and is carbon and buttery soft. I think they were done to 99 at golfsmith recently. Might fit the bill perfectly.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the Betti BC5 CS only comes in a belly length at this point through Golfsmith... that seems to be the one I am most attracted to so far. There are a few on ebay for $250.

[quote name='ChipDriver' date='24 June 2010 - 12:01 PM' timestamp='1277395297' post='2530133']
[quote name='cmb71' date='24 June 2010 - 08:12 AM' timestamp='1277385164' post='2529725']
[/quote]

That's a Japan/UK-only version....but if you can find it - that's great. I have owned the Type M1 for several years and it's been fine. Dave Whitlam used to make them - call him at Whitlam Golf or Gauge Design and see what he says...he ought to be fairly responsive. I would love to get my hands on the White Ice IX #5 here in the US, but Cally says they only have released a few of the White Ice models (they are black in color)...but not the #5 stateside.
[/quote]

Saw the Odyssey on TSG's site. Great looking putter and love the fact that it has a firmer inserts... XG was too mushy in my opinion.

[quote name='odshot68' date='24 June 2010 - 09:49 AM' timestamp='1277387374' post='2529788']
I am receiving my bryon in the next couple days and will give a full review on here.
[/quote]

I will be interested in reading your review. I have had a few Byrons in the past and always thought they made a very high quality product.

Being a SBST guy, you really should give some consideration to a SeeMore FGP (or one of their FGP models (they have a few). It's nearly a centershafted model, and you can't misalign it at set-up. It also promotes a solid stroke with the RST. They really do work and you won't beat their customer service.

Aside from one of those, you might also want to check into a few of the custom putter makers out there. Slighter, Lamont/Mannkrafted, SSB, C&L, Machine, etc. There are lots of really good boutique shops out there.

[quote name='RookieBlue7' date='24 June 2010 - 11:25 PM' timestamp='1277436356' post='2531615']
Being a SBST guy, you really should give some consideration to a SeeMore FGP (or one of their FGP models (they have a few). It's nearly a centershafted model, and you can't misalign it at set-up. It also promotes a solid stroke with the RST. They really do work and you won't beat their customer service.

Aside from one of those, you might also want to check into a few of the custom putter makers out there. Slighter, Lamont/Mannkrafted, SSB, C&L, Machine, etc. There are lots of really good boutique shops out there.
[/quote]

Thanks RookieBlue! I am leaning more and more towards a SeeMore after reading a bit more about them on their site and other posts here on GolfWrx. Now I just have to find one somewhere locally so I can try one out. Loving the look of the mFGP2 but wishing it was carbon steel instead of stainless.

Not a surprise to anyone who has read this I am sure, but I am taking a chance on GolfSmith's price on the Betti BC5 Belly they have on sale for $99 plus the F&F discount starting tomorrow... I figured it wasn't much of a risk at that price, and it can't hurt to try a belly putter, right? 40 and counting! :partytime2: I predict a huge putter "dump" on the BST pages in the next week or so.

[quote name='cmb71' date='24 June 2010 - 11:47 PM' timestamp='1277437657' post='2531668']
[quote name='RookieBlue7' date='24 June 2010 - 11:25 PM' timestamp='1277436356' post='2531615']

[/quote]

Thanks RookieBlue! I am leaning more and more towards a SeeMore after reading a bit more about them on their site and other posts here on GolfWrx. Now I just have to find one somewhere locally so I can try one out. Loving the look of the mFGP2 but wishing it was carbon steel instead of stainless.

Not a surprise to anyone who has read this I am sure, but I am taking a chance on GolfSmith's price on the Betti BC5 Belly they have on sale for $99 plus the F&F discount starting tomorrow... I figured it wasn't much of a risk at that price, and it can't hurt to try a belly putter, right? 40 and counting! :partytime2: I predict a huge putter "dump" on the BST pages in the next week or so.
[/quote]

Bloomington Country Club carries them over in Bloomington, IL. The only other one I found within 50 miles is at All Seasons GLC in Normail, IL.

http://www.seemore.com/locator/

[quote name='RookieBlue7' date='25 June 2010 - 12:05 AM' timestamp='1277438741' post='2531702']
[quote name='cmb71' date='24 June 2010 - 11:47 PM' timestamp='1277437657' post='2531668']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bloomington Country Club carries them over in Bloomington, IL. The only other one I found within 50 miles is at All Seasons GLC in Normail, IL.

http://www.seemore.com/locator/
[/quote]
Thanks again! Going to be in Vegas for a week and may get a chance to try one out there too. If not, I will call BCC to see if they have any in stock.

I just picked up the BC3 at the $99 Golfsmith special and the BC5 (new on ebay for $90 wth the Iomic grip). Both just came in yesterday. Hit them each for the first time at the practice greends last night and this morning. Bought them because I liked the feel of the BC1 or BC2 (forgot which I tested) but wanted a mallet and I wasn't sure if I'd like a center shaft as I've been playing a heal-shafted Odyssey for the past 15 years.

These putters are very similar yet very different. My hunch is that the BC5 will win out. It just feels a little more comfortable/natural at setup with the center shaft. The footprint of the head is a little smaller on the BC5 (although the same weight of-course). I kind of like this as I'm not a fan of huge mallets. I like to be able to feel the putt more rather than just let the pendulum swing and hit it. I think I was rolling 'em a bit better on the practice greens with the BC5 as well. Of-course the real test will be on the course. First round is 1 week from now.

So, if you like the BC5, you might want to check ebay as they can be had for cheaper than the ridiculous $250 that some are asking.

There was a Seemore at Golfsmith that was center-shafted and face-balanced that I was testing (not sure what model). That felt pretty good as well, although I haven't compared it directly to the BC5.

Good luck!

[quote name='draw1' date='25 June 2010 - 05:29 PM' timestamp='1277501392' post='2535291']
I just picked up the BC3 at the $99 Golfsmith special and the BC5 (new on ebay for $90 wth the Iomic grip). Both just came in yesterday. Hit them each for the first time at the practice greends last night and this morning. Bought them because I liked the feel of the BC1 or BC2 (forgot which I tested) but wanted a mallet and I wasn't sure if I'd like a center shaft as I've been playing a heal-shafted Odyssey for the past 15 years.

These putters are very similar yet very different. My hunch is that the BC5 will win out. It just feels a little more comfortable/natural at setup with the center shaft. The footprint of the head is a little smaller on the BC5 (although the same weight of-course). I kind of like this as I'm not a fan of huge mallets. I like to be able to feel the putt more rather than just let the pendulum swing and hit it. I think I was rolling 'em a bit better on the practice greens with the BC5 as well. Of-course the real test will be on the course. First round is 1 week from now.

So, if you like the BC5, you might want to check ebay as they can be had for cheaper than the ridiculous $250 that some are asking.

There was a Seemore at Golfsmith that was center-shafted and face-balanced that I was testing (not sure what model). That felt pretty good as well, although I haven't compared it directly to the BC5.

Good luck!
[/quote]

Thanks, I need a bit of luck... I have been cruising ebay for a BC5 and haven't found one yet for lower than the $250 price, especially considering I want one in new or like-new condition. I will have to watch a little more closely. I also talked to Jim at SeeMore today and I have an mFGP2 in Carbon Steel coming. Unbelievable service from them! I did also order a BC5 Belly from Golfsmith today. Still looking for a third option. I may have to consider one of the boutique putter artists for the third. Thanks again for everyone's replies thus far. It looks like I am set for a "putter clearance sale" coming next week.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='cmb71' date='25 June 2010 - 04:55 PM' timestamp='1277502949' post='2535430']
[quote name='draw1' date='25 June 2010 - 05:29 PM' timestamp='1277501392' post='2535291']

Good luck!
[/quote]

Thanks, I need a bit of luck... I have been cruising ebay for a BC5 and haven't found one yet for lower than the $250 price, especially considering I want one in new or like-new condition. I will have to watch a little more closely. I also talked to Jim at SeeMore today and I have an mFGP2 in Carbon Steel coming. Unbelievable service from them! I did also order a BC5 Belly from Golfsmith today. Still looking for a third option. I may have to consider one of the boutique putter artists for the third. Thanks again for everyone's replies thus far. It looks like I am set for a "putter clearance sale" coming next week.
[/quote]

Not sure how your search for the BC5 is going. As it turns out, I'm selling my 34" BC5 as I needed a 33" putter. Have 4 rounds on it. In perfect condition. PM me if interested.