2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Are Scotty Cameron Putters really worth the money?

I like the part where he says "Oh yeah". <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OT7i_jD0_fU&hl=en_US&fs=1"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OT7i_jD0_fU&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

X________________________________ Sign Here

Pro or con, anyone who has an absolute opinion on this subject sounds foolish. As many have said, whatever works- whatever gets the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes. Whether its a custom SC, Betti, Mills etc- if it works for you than it most certainly worth it.

Inevitably, it comes down to those in the SC camp and those NOT in the SC camp. Either way, saying "no way are they worth it" sounds just as idiotic as those who say "ALL SC putters are great" or "only buy them if you are a good putter".

For the record, I own three SC and have used and enjoyed all of them. Have given away or sold another three or so...

That's not say I dont enjoy pulling out my old Ping Anser, my not so old Ping G2 Zing, or my REALLY old Wilson 8802.

Maybe that 8802 should be put back in the bag...good.gif

I spent a lot of time recently trying out different putters and the two best for me, were the Cameron, and Cleveland Classic 3. I actually counted strokes and distance from the holes, and they were the same results with each. I had heard of the SC putters, but didn't know how much they were until I tested this one. So when I saw that price I was like "wow!" lol. The SC "felt" slightly better but didn't perform better than the Cleveland. I also did better with the Cleveland than any of the Odyssey putters. I'm going to go back to buy the Cleveland Classic 3 as an alternate putter to what I have now.

[quote name='laxindon25' timestamp='1279815423' post='2592562']
I really want to buy a scotty but is it really worth the money? It seems that there are many other putters out there that are just as nice as a scotty and only half the price. Is there something special about the construction of the putter or are you just spending money on the name?
[/quote]

Any putter that gives you confidence and sinks more putts is certainly worth its price. Whether it's $30 or $300.

If you think you like a Scotty - buy a used one off of ebay and try it for a few weeks. After that time you'll have your answer. Either keep what you have; or sell it again on ebay and you'll likely get all of your money out of it. Then go buy a new one; or try something different.

No reason not to try.

• 9 years later...

Traded an Odyssey with a buddy for my Newport in '97...I changed putters every couple of years before. I had Pings, a Palmer, Odysseys, 8802, Dunlop, Wilson TPC, Black Widow, some with names I cant remember. Prices from $10 up...I don't know that I make more putts, but I've kept it in the bag for 22 years...

To me, the Cameron Custom Shop is where the value in Scotty Cameron lies. Buy an old Scotty and want it refinished, Custom Shop. Your old Scotty is getting a little beat-up, Custom Shop. Need new grip or shaft, Custom Shop! Yea, yea, I know some other companies offer this but the Custom Shop is online and present for us all to see. And when I can't even order a darn Odyssey in 1/4" length increments, custom shop will do that for me! I don't know what the heck Odyssey is doing now with these shaft weight plugs but have fun cutting down a shaft 1/4" or 1/2". I'm telling friends to order their Stroke Labs 2" longer so we can just cut below the weight plug and install a Super Stroke Countercore. I wonder sometimes who is actually in the meetings when these companies create their go to market products...

The specific Cameron putter might not separate itself in some cases but the Cameron Experience and Support System are well worth the investment!

The more you focus on the exact details of putters, the more you appreciate Scotty Camerons (and other high end putters). The quality (granted the T22 struggled) is almost always top notch. Example, a 20 year old Scotty can look better than a 3 year old Taylormade Spider. The machining is really well done (as is Bettinardi and many other high end putter brands.) Most of your USA made CNC machined putter heads are in the same price range or more (Bettinardi, lajosi, byron Morgan, evnroll (slightly under), Toulon, etc).

Odyssey makes good putters but seems like you can't get hardly any without a dang soft insert, same with Taylormade. I had an odyssey with the mesh face and holy cow, think I spent 10 minutes a round trying to get tiny pieces of sand out of the mesh holes. I'd have a weird/poor sounding roll come up well short and sure enough there'd be sand on the face impacting the shoot.

I'll just say, everyone has a choice. It's nice to have options. No model T in black here.

> @"hd.softail" said:

> To me, the Cameron Custom Shop is where the value in Scotty Cameron lies. Buy an old Scotty and want it refinished, Custom Shop. Your old Scotty is getting a little beat-up, Custom Shop. Need new grip or shaft, Custom Shop! Yea, yea, I know some other companies offer this but the Custom Shop is online and present for us all to see. And when I can't even order a darn Odyssey in 1/4" length increments, custom shop will do that for me! I don't know what the heck Odyssey is doing now with these shaft weight plugs but have fun cutting down a shaft 1/4" or 1/2". I'm telling friends to order their Stroke Labs 2" longer so we can just cut below the weight plug and install a Super Stroke Countercore. I wonder sometimes who is actually in the meetings when these companies create their go to market products...

>

> The specific Cameron putter might not separate itself in some cases but the Cameron Experience and Support System are well worth the investment!

I’d argue the custom shop is actually the worst value in Cameron. And I love my Camerons.

The cost for total refinish is pretty crazy. Most times it costs more to resto than finding another one in decent shape (older models take more patience to Find).

That being said, some of the grip options available at the custom shop are great. It is very nice to have a place like the custom shop. I just don’t associate “value” with that

Yadi for President

> @BYK said:

> > @"hd.softail" said:

> > To me, the Cameron Custom Shop is where the value in Scotty Cameron lies. Buy an old Scotty and want it refinished, Custom Shop. Your old Scotty is getting a little beat-up, Custom Shop. Need new grip or shaft, Custom Shop! Yea, yea, I know some other companies offer this but the Custom Shop is online and present for us all to see. And when I can't even order a darn Odyssey in 1/4" length increments, custom shop will do that for me! I don't know what the heck Odyssey is doing now with these shaft weight plugs but have fun cutting down a shaft 1/4" or 1/2". I'm telling friends to order their Stroke Labs 2" longer so we can just cut below the weight plug and install a Super Stroke Countercore. I wonder sometimes who is actually in the meetings when these companies create their go to market products...

> >

> > The specific Cameron putter might not separate itself in some cases but the Cameron Experience and Support System are well worth the investment!

>

> I’d argue the custom shop is actually the worst value in Cameron. And I love my Camerons.

> The cost for total refinish is pretty crazy. Most times it costs more to resto than finding another one in decent shape (older models take more patience to Find).

>

> That being said, some of the grip options available at the custom shop are great. It is very nice to have a place like the custom shop. I just don’t associate “value” with that

Fair point, maybe "value" isn't the correct word. Let me rephrase by saying I'm happy to pay a little extra for a Cameron because of the OEM support for the products they sell and openly advertise. Show me the Website Link to the Odyssey, PING, etc custom shop. Sure Toulon has the Garage but that's only new. I know I can call PING WRx and have some work done but Cameron is out there and available for the average consumer to see, kudos to them.

> @"hd.softail" said:

> > @BYK said:

> > > @"hd.softail" said:

> > > To me, the Cameron Custom Shop is where the value in Scotty Cameron lies. Buy an old Scotty and want it refinished, Custom Shop. Your old Scotty is getting a little beat-up, Custom Shop. Need new grip or shaft, Custom Shop! Yea, yea, I know some other companies offer this but the Custom Shop is online and present for us all to see. And when I can't even order a darn Odyssey in 1/4" length increments, custom shop will do that for me! I don't know what the heck Odyssey is doing now with these shaft weight plugs but have fun cutting down a shaft 1/4" or 1/2". I'm telling friends to order their Stroke Labs 2" longer so we can just cut below the weight plug and install a Super Stroke Countercore. I wonder sometimes who is actually in the meetings when these companies create their go to market products...

> > >

> > > The specific Cameron putter might not separate itself in some cases but the Cameron Experience and Support System are well worth the investment!

> >

> > I’d argue the custom shop is actually the worst value in Cameron. And I love my Camerons.

> > The cost for total refinish is pretty crazy. Most times it costs more to resto than finding another one in decent shape (older models take more patience to Find).

> >

> > That being said, some of the grip options available at the custom shop are great. It is very nice to have a place like the custom shop. I just don’t associate “value” with that

>

> Fair point, maybe "value" isn't the correct word. Let me rephrase by saying I'm happy to pay a little extra for a Cameron because of the OEM support for the products they sell and openly advertise. Show me the Website Link to the Odyssey, PING, etc custom shop. Sure Toulon has the Garage but that's only new. I know I can call PING WRx and have some work done but Cameron is out there and available for the average consumer to see, kudos to them.

Yes

Agree

Great service to have available.

Yadi for President

If I had an Oil Can Cameron putter and wanted it restored (finish) I would send it to the company who created the original Oil Can finish and not send it in to the Studio. I think it is ridiculous that the Studio will not refinish a putter back to the original finish (gun blue, oil can, black pearl, etc.). An OTR will never recoup the amount it takes for a full restoration from the Studio. However, a CT tour made putter should be sent to the Studio and a COA be obtained. I think the real value of the Studio is the high end collector putters. With regard to the original solid steel OTRs, just game them and enjoy them for what they are.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

> @Locutus_of_Burgh said:

> Old classic Scotty's are well worth it but once he started the multi material/insert garbage I quit paying attention.

I agree. Haven’t bought one since 2008. Anything newer than 2015 I haven’t looked at. CT’s never caught my eye either. Made an exception with the BB. 2kg4868bz6u6.jpeg

> @8overpar said:

> > @Locutus_of_Burgh said:

> > Old classic Scotty's are well worth it but once he started the multi material/insert garbage I quit paying attention.

> I agree. Haven’t bought one since 2008. Anything newer than 2015 I haven’t looked at. CT’s never caught my eye either. Made an exception with the BB.

>

>

>

The 2011 Studio Select line were the last Scotty's I really liked, and I am a huge fan of his. I really love the Buttonback but never bought one and now regret it since they sell for so much more nowadays. I did jump on one of the T22's released recently and absolutely love it, so I plan on keeping that as my gamer for quite some time.

Weird thread. “Worth the money” is kind of a value ask and value isn’t a strength for Cameron putters, whether retail or from his studio. You’re paying a premium for the brand. There was a time when he was ahead of the retail field in terms of build quality but I think it’s hard to argue that now with other manufacturers all cranking out really fine products. His studio stuff, well, those are at least as much collector’s items and luxury goods as they are putters at this point.

I really dont get why people ask this type of thing, its like asking if BMW's are worth the money because they are 10% more than a ford, to some people yes, and they want a BMW, If you cant afford a BMW get the Ford, its does the same thing

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

When he first started out, there was not much like him. Sure, he copied many classic, well established designs, but he put his own distinct "touch" on them (different materials, milling marks on faces, etc).

Once others started making their copies of his putters, the uniqueness started wearing off, everyone had milled face carbon steel putters.

His prices started getting crazy when more and more pros started using them, went nuts once Tiger started winning everything using a Cameron.

I owned piles of them over the years, of every ilk. Also owned other brands as well. As other brands started to "catch up" to Scotty, I started to feel that the extra price for his name wasn't worth the small, incremental benefit. My $100 Odyssey Protype felt just as good, weighed the same, rolled the ball the same as my $500 Newport.

The kicker for me was when I was gaming my 90's Scotty Tour Newport one day, first time I used it on a course. The "tour only" headcover fell off the putter at some point (I chipped in on a hole, didn't need the putter, and it took me a hole or two before I noticed it was gone). Once I noticed it was gone, I panicked, jumped in my cart and sped off, backtracking three holes before I found it. When I got back to the group, everyone was laughing about how I freaked out over a silly putter headcover and how silly it was to "cherish" a putter so much.

I listed all my Scotties the next day, and never looked back...

I have an SC - it's a black mallet #5. I made a lot of reaally good puts with that.

The 5 or 6 putters I had before that all worked the same as the SC, my first putter was an original Zebra, and I was deadly with that until the shaft turned in the head.

I currently have 6 putters, but generally only use the Odyssey stroke labs 7.

This week I tested out a Phantom X #5 and #12. #5 would be one I would buy.

It is a very good feeling putter with a milled aluminum face attached to a steel body. But it won't gain me stokes, just stroke my ego. At $526.00 CAN, I'll pass.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

> 8overpar said:

> > Locutus_of_Burgh said:

> > Old classic Scotty's are well worth it but once he started the multi material/insert garbage I quit paying attention.

> I agree. Haven’t bought one since 2008. Anything newer than 2015 I haven’t looked at. CT’s never caught my eye either. Made an exception with the BB.

>

>

>

For SC's putter I noted these two points:

1. once he started the multi material/insert garbage I quit paying attention.

2. Anything newer than 2015 I haven’t looked at.

I have gamed a lot of putters, Seemore, Bettinardi, Ben Crenshaw by Cleveland, played around with Odyssey/Toulon, Axis1, SIK, Taylormade, Ping, Evnroll and I can tell you that there's something about the way the cameron putters feel (swing weight, grips, feel off the face) that are just a little different than the rest. For me, I feel like if a putter can save you one stroke a round, it's worth the money. IMO a SC does that through the distance control, feel, and roll that it puts on the ball, not saying there aren't others that can get the job done! I've played other putters and have putted well, but I have never putt better than with a scotty cameron and I didn't even want to like them because I thought they were overrated from the beginning. I'm guessing if you go into it with a negative or positive perspective of SC it might influence you - but if you're fitted for the right putter shape and go find a scotty that fits that, then you won't be disappointed!

I can see why people like them, but every time I’ve rolled one in the local store, many different models I may add, I’m left thinking ‘I don’t like this much’. To me, the last couple of years’ models just feel tinny and hard, and I really can’t say they swing more nicely than a Betti, a Piretti or a Stroke Lab.

I don’t really get it. They also look gaudy.