First Bettinardi, Last Cameron...

SOONERMAGIC

[quote name='TheBoomer ' timestamp='1280425249' post='2606531']
[quote name='Dizz' timestamp='1280423237' post='2606464']
[quote name='ORLANDOZAC13' timestamp='1280420492' post='2606356']
[quote name='TM golf guy' timestamp='1280419798' post='2606322']
[quote name='ORLANDOZAC13' timestamp='1280413181' post='2606111']
I finally switched to a Bettinardi BB1 as I traded a Custom Cameron for some cash, and 2 BB1s.

#3 Price (although the Bettinardis are not cheaper, I feel you get better craftsmanship with Bettinardi for that $$)
[/quote]

What? Bettinardi's cost more, but somebody gave you TWO for ONE Cameron AND they gave you cash? :beruo:
[/quote]

One BB1 is mint, the other needs to be refinished BADLY!!! But Dizz is just missing the point entirely, I offered 3 reasons (insight) as to why I liked the Bettinardi better.

Some people just cant read, or are blinded by opinions that are not their own..
[/quote]

No, you are missing the point. You used 3 points, one of which is valid. Craftsmanship, fine I'm OK with that if that's what you believe. Feel, as soon as you said soft yet crisp you lost that point. [b][i][u]That's like saying skinny but fat[/u][/i][/b]. If you had said something like I just got a carbon Bettinardi and it feels so much better or "nicer" (to you) than the Studio Select that I was using then I would understand your point. The third point you made was the same as the first one, you said price (Bettinardi isn't cheaper) but then added in craftsmanship again. Bottom line is, you didn't tell us which model you had in either one you just said this one "feels nicer."
[/quote]

This is skinny but fat............. :)

[attachment=634076:images.jpg]

MB
[/quote]

haaa, best post I've seen in weeks!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the same boat, had a few scotty's but moved over to Bettinardi as I feel the craftsmanship is superior. I love the roll the honeycomb face puts on the ball.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

As several of the posts have stated, putter favorites (or any club) are strictly a matter of opinion. I also currently own a Rife, several Ping, SC Newport II, and Odessey and putt well with all; I recently purchased a Bettinardi BB1 from Glen Coombe, "The Putting Doctor" and couldn't be happier. [size="2"][color="navy"][url="http://puttingdoctor.net/"][size="3"]http://puttingdoctor.net[/size][/url] [/color][/size]

Recently, taking several putters to the practice green, I putted 5-6 balls to each of five holes of various lengths and slope, comparing how tightly I could group the balls with each putter -- I did this non-technical "test" several times. Without stating the order of how well - or poorly - I putted with each putter, the Bettinardi provided me with the best distance control and grouping. The Bettinardi improved my putting, but of course the results would be different for others depending upon the stroke, type of putter used, etc.

It also comes down to which "style" works best for someone, e.g., toe hang, face balanced, center shaft, heel shaft, etc. No different, as someone already stated, than a driver, fairway metal, or iron -- what works best for you is the point.

[quote name='ORLANDOZAC13' timestamp='1280432791' post='2606807']
I finally switched to a Bettinardi BB1 as I traded a Custom Cameron for some cash, and 2 BB1s.

#3 Price (although the Bettinardis are not cheaper, I feel you get better craftsmanship with Bettinardi for that $$)
[/quote]

What? Bettinardi's cost more, but somebody gave you TWO for ONE Cameron AND they gave you cash? :beruo:
[/quote]

One BB1 is mint, the other needs to be refinished BADLY!!! But Dizz is just missing the point entirely, I offered 3 reasons (insight) as to why I liked the Bettinardi better.

[/quote]

No, you are missing the point. You used 3 points, one of which is valid. Craftsmanship, fine I'm OK with that if that's what you believe. Feel, as soon as you said soft yet crisp you lost that point. That's like saying skinny but fat. If you had said something like I just got a carbon Bettinardi and it feels so much better or "nicer" (to you) than the Studio Select that I was using then I would understand your point. The third point you made was the same as the first one, you said price (Bettinardi isn't cheaper) but then added in craftsmanship again. Bottom line is, you didn't tell us which model you had in either one you just said this one "feels nicer."
[/quote]

Let me make this clear.

I owned, a Studio Select NP2, and Asian Spec Custom Shop Circa #3. BOTH WERE FINE PUTTERS, but the two Bettinardi putters in my posession have better feel, craftsmanship, style (simple), and quality (IMO). So in comparison to the two Camerons I have owned the four reasons I have just listed are the reasons "I" feel Bettinardi makes a better putter for ME, and in that case feel it would be a better putter for "YOU".

Isnt that how it is with any product you like, you like it so you think others would like it, rather than say. I think its a good putter for me, but not so much for you. <-- no one says that, its actually the opposite like --->dude, you have to check out this putter its awesome, your going to love it. Then they decide for themselves, no harm done.

You have taken this as a personal attack, or a platform to define how my feel translates into words on a golf forum.

Lets just shake hands and leave it at that, You like Camerons, I like Bettinardi. Friends? :friends:

Crisp, and Soft my friend..:sorry:

Zac
[/quote]

Fair enough to me, my first post was not an attack by any means. If you had worded your first post the same as this one I wouldn't have even responded to it. Exactly why I said I don't understand these posts. I'm not a Cameron "guy" I think Bettinardi makes great putters and if I found one that I liked more than my current putter I would use it. Its good that you have a putter you like no matter who makes it. Like I said I'm interested in making putts not who makes the putter.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Well...
I recently decided to take my BB2 out for the first time after just looking at it for about 8 months. The only other heel shafted putter I've tried is the TP maranello.
After using it I made a lot of putts.
Enough putts that it convinced some friends to go and buy a heel shafted putter.
Anyway my reason for switching is just result based as I didn't find much difference in feel, finish, craftsmanship. customer service, face millings or anything like that...
just what mattered most., the ball went in the hole a lot more with my Betti than it did with my Scotty MIL-SPEC which I've used exclusively for over 10 years and also a C&L which I custom ordered this year also.
My preference for getting the ball in the hole matters most and the BB2 seems to be doing that best right now.
I've had numerous Scotty's over the years but the Mil-spec has remained the only constant and most likely always will.
Having both is like having my cake and being able to eat it.
It's a nice option to have.

TM Stealth+ 10.5° Driver Red Ventus Velocore 6s

M2 '17 3HL 3 Wood
Titleist TS2 21° Tensei Blue 70
Titleist TS2 25° Tensei Blue 70
Muira MB/CB combo with KBS TOUR CUSTOM

TM Hi-Toe 52,56,60 Bigfoot 
Titleist TVD SM 52,56,60 All M-Grind
WITB Link

I picked up a BB1 about a month ago. I've hit more 12+ footers this week than I've ever hit. I LOVE my bb1. I've had a Redwood, NP2, SquareBack, SquareBack 2, Laguna 1.5 and a few other High end putters.

The BB1 is the best of the bunch. Looks / Feel / ....

I find the distance control amazing with it. I was always short with the scotty, too soft maybe.

2024 Bag TBD

Congrats on finding a putter you like. Thats what it is all about. On a side note about picking out putters, when I first got really active on the golf boards, a member stepped up and let me demo some high end putters so that I could get a little taste of the high end market. I demoed a Byron Morgan Carbon 006 and a SC TeI3 NP2. After HOURS on the practice green, I picked the Byron and that is the road I chose to walk. I still likes the NP2 but the 006 really stood out to me. The TeI3 NP2 is on my bucket list for when I start to become a collector. But right now, I am a player and I have used one putter since November. I think the cult mentality of all of the brands is a little disheartening. Remember guys, this is a game.

Im going to end with a nice saying I have heard a long time ago...

Being a fan is okay, but a fanatic, not so much.

Coming from a 33" putter really changes your slant on things. I loved the soft feel and craftsmanship of my Mizuno Bettinardi C01 and felt like I picked it up for a great price ($100ish), but at 33" the headweight is just too light. Even the new Bettinardi's at 345g aren't a good fit. Why not go to moveable weights, it seems like a no brainer? Swing weight is a significant factor in the feel and performance of a putter. I feel like the 360g of the Studio Select Newport Two is allot easier to control and being able to customize that option was the deciding factor for me.

I really like the new Bettinardi line and I think the company is moving in the right direction. But the oversight of customizable swingweight when Scotty has been doing it for years just makes me scratch my head. :fool:

People game what they want, and by God you should be proud of the putters you are gaming. But keep in mind that feel is personal, and people will and should game what feels and works the best for them. I dont fear the guy I'm playing against or with that has a brand new set right off the rack with a brand new Buttonback/Byron/Mills/Betti/Rife/etc ...

I fear the guy who has a nice set of clubs, and his putter looks like he just went through a war with it.

[quote name='BP5168' timestamp='1280556725' post='2609652']
People game what they want, and by God you should be proud of the putters you are gaming. But keep in mind that feel is personal, and people will and should game what feels and works the best for them. I dont fear the guy I'm playing against or with that has a brand new set right off the rack with a brand new Buttonback/Byron/Mills/Betti/Rife/etc ...

I fear the guy who has a nice set of clubs, and his putter looks like he just went through a war with it.
[/quote]

i completely agree. But I still like taking care of my Byron. I baby that thing compared to my old anser 2 that I used to game.

[quote name='BP5168' timestamp='1280588591' post='2609932']
And you should, imho, the Byron is an investment, and a good one at that.
[/quote]

I'm not into the idea of golf clubs as investments. Very few appreciate over time. Unless you have a very unique collectible, they depreciate as long as the maker is still producing, and even after, very few clubs go up in value.

The clubs that have appreciated most have been those that guys bought and gamed for years with no expectation of their value going up. Primary examples are George Low Wizard 600, Designed by Arnold Palmer, and Scottsdale Anser putters. When they first hit the pro shops no one predicted that they would one day sell for many times their original price. The point is, its impossible to say today which clubs will command big bucks in the future.

We give ourselves many excuses for buying a golf club. I know, I have done it many, many times. I just don't think "Its a good investment" is one of them.

[quote name='dalehead' timestamp='1280592114' post='2609993']
[quote name='BP5168' timestamp='1280588591' post='2609932']
And you should, imho, the Byron is an investment, and a good one at that.
[/quote]

I'm not into the idea of golf clubs as investments. Very few appreciate over time. Unless you have a very unique collectible, they depreciate as long as the maker is still producing, and even after, very few clubs go up in value.

The clubs that have appreciated most have been those that guys bought and gamed for years with no expectation of their value going up. Primary examples are George Low Wizard 600, Designed by Arnold Palmer, and Scottsdale Anser putters. When they first hit the pro shops no one predicted that they would one day sell for many times their original price. The point is, its impossible to say today which clubs will command big bucks in the future.

We give ourselves many excuses for buying a golf club. I know, I have done it many, many times. I just don't think "Its a good investment" is one of them.
[/quote]

You misunderstood. It is an expensive investment in your golf game. Take care of it. IE- dont trash it out ... that's all I'm saying.

I've only bought Cameron's in the past years and currently game a Circa 62 #6...........

To the OP............I welcome your insight and found it helpfull and interesting. I wonder if the "Honeycomb" is what is attributing to the "soft yet crisp" feel you speak of. I'd imagine that a SC with "deep fine" milling might offer this same feel. Wish the deep milling was an option at SC.com. Any who, thanks...........the wheel in my head is spinning.

913D3 - Diamana D+ 72x
910Fd - Motore Sp. VC 8.2x
712CB - KBS Tour S+
SM4 - KBS Tour S
2014 Fastback
ProV1x

[quote name='ORLANDOZAC13' timestamp='1280432791' post='2606807']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, you are missing the point. You used 3 points, one of which is valid. Craftsmanship, fine I'm OK with that if that's what you believe. Feel, as soon as you said soft yet crisp you lost that point. That's like saying skinny but fat. If you had said something like I just got a carbon Bettinardi and it feels so much better or "nicer" (to you) than the Studio Select that I was using then I would understand your point. The third point you made was the same as the first one, you said price (Bettinardi isn't cheaper) but then added in craftsmanship again. Bottom line is, you didn't tell us which model you had in either one you just said this one "feels nicer."
[/quote]

Let me make this clear.

I owned, a Studio Select NP2, and Asian Spec Custom Shop Circa #3. BOTH WERE FINE PUTTERS, but the two Bettinardi putters in my posession have better feel, craftsmanship, style (simple), and quality (IMO). So in comparison to the two Camerons I have owned the four reasons I have just listed are the reasons "I" feel Bettinardi makes a better putter for ME, and in that case feel it would be a better putter for "YOU".

Isnt that how it is with any product you like, you like it so you think others would like it, rather than say. I think its a good putter for me, but not so much for you. <-- no one says that, its actually the opposite like --->dude, you have to check out this putter its awesome, your going to love it. Then they decide for themselves, no harm done.

You have taken this as a personal attack, or a platform to define how my feel translates into words on a golf forum.

Lets just shake hands and leave it at that, You like Camerons, I like Bettinardi. Friends? :friends:

Crisp, and Soft my friend..:sorry:

Zac
[/quote]

I found Bettinardi in 2000 and have used one ever since. I switched from an early SC Newport. I putted very well with the SC but I have been a Bettinardi guy since then. Also, I CAN tell the difference from an SC. Bettinardi putters are milled in the USA using their one piece technology which is one the keys for their success. No welds for the neck.

I always got flamed by SC fans so I just stopped posting. Now years later it seems the forum has matured to accept different manufacturers. I think there are many good putters out there but the service I have had from Bettinardi is the best. =) Maverick
BTW, I understand the crisp but soft description. :-)

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

[quote name='maverick' timestamp='1280717048' post='2612428']

I found Bettinardi in 2000 and have used one ever since. I switched from an early SC Newport. I putted very well with the SC but I have been a Bettinardi guy since then. Also, I CAN tell the difference from an SC. Bettinardi putters are milled in the USA using their one piece technology which is one the keys for their success. No welds for the neck.

I always got flamed by SC fans so I just stopped posting. Now years later it seems the forum has matured to accept different manufacturers. I think there are many good putters out there but the service I have had from Bettinardi is the best. =) Maverick
BTW, I understand the crisp but soft description. :-)
[/quote]

FYI, Cameron putters like the Studio Select line are made in the USA from a solid block of stainless steel, no welds for the neck.

Watch the "Making the Studio Select" video: [url="http://www.scottycameron.com/studio/videos.aspx"]http://www.scottycameron.com/studio/videos.aspx[/url]

[quote name='indyvai' timestamp='1280771307' post='2613403']
[quote name='laxindon25' timestamp='1280717097' post='2612432']
clearly none of you know what your talking about, slazenger makes the best putters around.
[/quote]

Ummm... clearly you have not been to Golf Galaxy to see the new Maxfli line...

:tongue:
[/quote]

Do these come in Tour Issue? :partytime2:

I have some of every major putter manufacturer's products out there and currently game a couple Cameron's. I use what rolls the ball the best and looks the best to my eye. I prefer the softer lines on the Cameron's over Bettinardi's. I'll take a carbon steel 350g Cameron or a deep milled GSS putter any day of the week over almost anything I've used. My Byron putter is also in the lineup, but needs to have sight dot added eventually. Bettinardi makes great putters, especially if you like hard edges and lines.