First high-end putter: Search is on

philsRHman

So many options out there, help me narrow it down
I'm very new to the idea of a custom putter, but I've read so much here about the process and I've decided the overhaul my bag has been through over the past 18 months won't be complete without a great putter. Since I can anticipate the "get the one that makes the most putts" responses, I totally understand I need to get out and try different styles and options. However, there's such a vast amount of options that I'd like to narrow it down (for instance, with a gated stroke I can rule out a whole bunch of putters such as the Spider, which I didn't realize until reading the forums, I just knew they didn't feel right).

At the moment I'm trying to sell off an Odyssey Mickelson PT-82 that I was lucky enough to get a few weeks ago. The problem is, as gorgeous as it is, I just can't get comfortable with it. It's too long (35") and I can't get my eyes over the ball in a decent posture. I'm short (5-foot-5) and like to putt with my arms dangling toward the floor. I've got a gated stroke, yet when the pressure is (or even just not concentrating) my miss is a dead push.

Quick history of my putters. For the first 15 years of my golfing life I played with an Arnold Palmer Original 8802 style putter. It's long (35 or 36") and finally gave it up as I entered my 30s and my belly was hanging over my waist, getting in the way of the butt end of the putter (sad, but true). Since then I have been playing an Odyssey #9 XG. It's 33" and even that I tend to choke down half an inch or so. My stroke typically starts with a forward press.

I like the look of a thinner blade-style head, but the heal shafted 8802 style seems too unforgiving at this point. I currently play to a 6.7 handicap but I have always struggled on the greens and I'm ready to take the big step of getting a top of the line putter than really suits me and my stroke well. Since this will likely be 4x as much as I've spent on any previous putter I'd like to do it right. If you guys can offer any advice or suggestions on head styles, shapes, shaft shape options, I'm all ears. For instance, I'm not sure if a plumber's neck/offset is suited for me as someone with a forward press and gated stroke. I'm pretty new to all this and you guys have been a wealth of information in the past.

Obviously it's best if I hit some putts with a given style, so once I have some suggestions I could head to Golf Galaxy or someplace with a large stock and see what works for my eye. Having help narrowing it down and knowing what to look for would be a great start. I've been drooling over the Slighter putters and have read great things about them. How big of an issue do you think it is not to hit putts with the actual putter you're buying? If that's crucial, anyone know if the putter makers who support the site are based in the NY/NJ area and offer on-site demos?

Appreciate all the help in advance. And if there's anything I'm forgetting to mention here that would stump a club builder, let me know.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you like the 8802 style but want a bit more forgiveness, why not look at a heel-shafted mallet like the Redmond or Edmonds from Slighter? Similar styles that you could mess around with at retail shops are the Odyssey #9 or the Ping Piper-H, which is fairly heavy. They're still designed for arc-strokes, just not as pronounced an arc as a pure 8802.

10.5 (8.5) TM Sim2 w/ Smoke Blk 70 6.5  |||  16.5 HL Rogue ST LS w/ Smoke Blk 80 6.5

2i TM P790 w/ Smoke Blk HY 6.5  |||  4-PW Srixon ZX7 w/ S400

50.08 (SM9), 54.13 (TM MG3), 58.12 (SM9) w/ S400  |||  Byron Morgan 007

If interested in Slighter, why not try either the $249 FPR Tacoma or Portland? Chances are you can return it if you no like. And if you do, send it back for sightline or dot or personal stampings.

Otherwise, it will cost over $400, take weeks and you'd better like it because you are stuck with it.

How about a Scotty or Ping Redwood or something you can try in a store? Sound like you are not ready to take the sight unseen plunge.

High end putters are certainly nice, but, in the end, it will always boil down to your green reading skills, sense of touch and confidence level.

I would be the first to jump on the bandwagon and yell MACHINE from the mountain top, but the others are right. Find the style that fits you best and go from there. You get the wrong style from a custom builder and it is yours. It gets hard to sell with a bunch of custom work without getting burned, but you can buy OTR and give it a run and if it doesn't work you can sell it off without a major hit as long as it is fairly mainstream.

Usually at the different courses you can try out the ones they carry. Hit the demo days too. I got to try one of the Odyssey milled two ball putters there.

Once you find the style the sky is the limit! Machine, Byron, Slighter, LaMont and Sunset Beach,Serg, Grace, and on, and on, and on.......... Matter of fact, once you get the style down, I would suggest one of each.:yahoo:

consider one of the sponsors here, Deschamps

http://www.deschampsputters.com/Site/Main.html

the blade design is very simple and easy to look at. You have a lot of customization options and the prices are very competitive to what you'd pay at some of the bigger names. I've been playing mine all season and i really like it. Plus guaranteed it will get noticed

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I know you said you needed a little more forgiveness but if you really love the 8802 style then a Designed By from Byron Morgan would be the way to go. I have really been loving the looks of TP Mills Fleetwood and Ming-two totally different putters but the looks of them are just beauty to my eyes. I would go your local shop and figure out what style fits your eye best then narrow down what company you would like to give your services to and let them work their magic.

WITB:
*Taylormade Stealth+ 8.25, Fujikura Ventus Black S
*Taylormade Stealth 2 3&5
*Titleist T350 4 Iron, T200 5/6, T150 7-pw (bent 1 strong) Modus 120s
*Vokey SM8 Jet Black Limited 52/56/60
*Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2+
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.

First, let me appeal to all of you to update your profiles with location. It would be so much easier to help folks if we knew what corner of the golfing world you reside in.

With a longish heel shafted putter you will have a more gated stroke. However the true stroke you'll have with a shorter putter, eyes over the line and arms hanging may be closer to SBST or IDTL.

Take a look at both the BB and Studio Stock lines from Bettinardi. If you live in the mid-west a trip to Studio B might be in your immediate future.

[url="http://bettinardi.com"]http://bettinardi.com[/url]

Glen Coombe
The Putting Doctor “Retired!”
Level 3 SAM PuttLab Instructor
Carribean Represemtative SAM Sports
Creator of Perfection Platforms
Http://puttingdoctor.net

Wow, thanks for all the responses.

First, I'm in nj, so if there are any fitting lab type places around here I'd be interested. Otherwise there's a guy at golf galaxy I trust immensely (used to be a pro at a local cc and is very well respected) for their putter fitting.

As for the stroke, I'm curious about some of the comments and I wonder if I actually have a more SBST stroke than I thought. Pretty sure I take it inside to square but is there a litttle test I can do to tell for sure? Is there a putter style that straddles the line? Something bladeish with a little less toe hang maybe? What styles might those be?

Also, anyone have opinions on plumbers neck vs s neck vs heel shafted? Pretty sure the plumbers neck throws me off because I get my hands ahead at address but maybe I'm crazy and that style neck is made for that. I think something set into the head a bit might be best but not so far as center shafted.

For what it's worth, I messed around with a ping half moon I series a while back and loved how it set up. Ball just seemed to sit perfectly under my eyes and it was simple to line up. Obviously this isn't the high end putter I was imagining buying but if someone can suggest a style similar to that or can dissect what about is appealing to me and translate that, it would be awesome.

Thanks again for all the responses.

[quote name='PuttingDoctor' timestamp='1280837855' post='2615051']
First, let me appeal to all of you to update your profiles with location. It would be so much easier to help folks if we knew what corner of the golfing world you reside in.

With a longish heel shafted putter you will have a more gated stroke. However the true stroke you'll have with a shorter putter, eyes over the line and arms hanging may be closer to SBST or IDTL.

Take a look at both the BB and Studio Stock lines from Bettinardi. If you live in the mid-west a trip to Studio B might be in your immediate future.

[url="http://bettinardi.com"]http://bettinardi.com[/url]

[/quote]

Curious why you would say knowing someone's location would help you help them. Why is that?

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

Anything by Bobby Grace, old or new. Here's his new website for his custom stuff:

[url="http://www.bobbygraceputters.com/"]http://www.bobbygraceputters.com/[/url]

I have been corresponding with them regarding a putter I recently found....one of his old MacGregor line putters and they have been nothing but helpful and informative with my questions about it.
A+ for customer service here.

Chunky, I suggest locations and golf professionals in different areas where there is a SAM PuttLab or a retailer that I know of. It just cuts down on the number of posts it takes to actually help someone. I'm not coming to visit.... though if you need me I can visit you in Raleigh:rolleyes:

Now, Phil a way to test your stroke without a SAM would be to setup with the toe of the putter at 90 degrees to a baseboard. Assume your setup stance and make a stroke parallel to the baseboard.

If your putter moves away from the baseboard and does not scuff on the way forward it's safe to venture you're not coming over the top outside to in. A few strokes back and forth should revel your average stroke pattern.

Golf Galaxy may be a good spot to start. They have Maltby putter fitting systems in each store and can custom bend anything in the store. The down side is that they don't have much to quantify what your putter and ball are doing, i.e. no high speed cameras, no SAM PuttLab. And the best you can do for high end putter selection would be a Scotty.

Glen Coombe

Based on what you are putting, (8802 style and XG #9) it sounds like you are used to a lot of toe hang. The bad news is that you have diminishing returns on that as your length gets shorter.

If you want to try a putter with less toe hang, try an Anser 4 style or Zing 2 style (I'm using the original putter name, but most OEMs have a style like this. I'm not going to waste time listing all the different names) as these will have more toe hang than most, but not quite as extreme as an 8802 or TPA XVIII putter.

From there, you can try a little less toe hang with an Anser style or MyDay style. The plumbers neck gives it a little less toe down.

Once you figure out the toe hang and style that you like, find a fitter that tells you what loft/length/lie is going to work best for you. This is where cameras and fittings are money well spent.

After that, you still have to choose your base metal (carbon, stainless, copper) and finish. It really gets fun when you start realizing the options you have available to you.

Good luck in your search!

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1280863982' post='2615878']
Based on what you are putting, (8802 style and XG #9) it sounds like you are used to a lot of toe hang. The bad news is that you have diminishing returns on that as your length gets shorter.

If you want to try a putter with less toe hang, try an Anser 4 style or Zing 2 style (I'm using the original putter name, but most OEMs have a style like this. I'm not going to waste time listing all the different names) as these will have more toe hang than most, but not quite as extreme as an 8802 or TPA XVIII putter.

From there, you can try a little less toe hang with an Anser style or MyDay style. The plumbers neck gives it a little less toe down.

Once you figure out the toe hang and style that you like, find a fitter that tells you what loft/length/lie is going to work best for you. This is where cameras and fittings are money well spent.

After that, you still have to choose your base metal (carbon, stainless, copper) and finish. It really gets fun when you start realizing the options you have available to you.

Good luck in your search!
[/quote]

Oh man, I haven't even started thinking about materials yet!!! But yeah, I think I'm working in the right order. Nail down the general head shape, then more specific head style. I have a feeling I'm going to end up with something in the Anser/Newport family. My local Golf Galaxy has a decent selection of LH putters (which is the other issue I have).

Out of pure ignorance, with the custom putter makers, is there ever a demo program? Or do they sell all their putters on blind faith by the buyer?

[quote name='philsRHman' timestamp='1280842151' post='2615170']
Wow, thanks for all the responses.

First, I'm in nj, so if there are any fitting lab type places around here I'd be interested. Otherwise there's a guy at golf galaxy I trust immensely (used to be a pro at a local cc and is very well respected) for their putter fitting.

As for the stroke, I'm curious about some of the comments and I wonder if I actually have a more SBST stroke than I thought. Pretty sure I take it inside to square but is there a litttle test I can do to tell for sure? [b][i]Is there a putter style that straddles the line? Something bladeish with a little less toe hang maybe? What styles might those be?

[/i][/b]Also, anyone have opinions on plumbers neck vs s neck vs heel shafted? Pretty sure the plumbers neck throws me off because I get my hands ahead at address but maybe I'm crazy and that style neck is made for that. I think something set into the head a bit might be best but not so far as center shafted.

For what it's worth, I messed around with a ping half moon I series a while back and loved how it set up. Ball just seemed to sit perfectly under my eyes and it was simple to line up. Obviously this isn't the high end putter I was imagining buying but if someone can suggest a style similar to that or can dissect what about is appealing to me and translate that, it would be awesome.

Thanks again for all the responses.
[/quote]

One putter that fits your description that many have liked thru the years is the Ping B-60. The new iN series B-60 felt very nice at the store....

[quote name='philsRHman' timestamp='1280866228' post='2615964']
My local Golf Galaxy has a decent selection of [b][size="5"]LH putters (which is the other issue I have).
[/size][/b][/quote]

Wow! Stop the presses! You had left that very important bit of info out of your prior posts!!! The BB32 is available in LH and in 332g 348g 360g head weight.

There is a SAM PuttLab location in NJ. I don't have any direct experience with them but if you follow the link below you can search what's close to you.
We'll be adding Scarsdale GC in Weschester Country NY in the next few weeks as they have a SAM on the way.
The SAM USA locator is far from complete but here is what you can find... [url="http://www.scienceandmotion.com/locations_us/index.php?lang=en#New%20York"]http://www.scienceandmotion.com/locations_us/index.php?lang=en#New%20York[/url]

Glen Coombe

Check out www.ssbeachgolf.com shoot them an e-mail and ask Chris to give you a call. He walked me through some info that if you can't get to a SAM putt lab will definately help. In fact the info Chris gave me got me HELLA close to what the SAM putt lab did when I had to travel for work and got on one. Chris did explain his system is not science, but is better than going in blind, and is pretty easy to do with the help of a friend.

Plus you can choose from 13 head designs(with countless more available through handshaping), hosel type, finish, stamping, weight, loft, lie and they are about 100 or more cheaper than you will find from others.

FYI: I am not affiliated with the company in any way other than I have purchased 7 putters from them and keep going back for new designs when they come out or I see a new handshaped design from them.

Give the guys at Piretti a call.  I just tried my friends.  It's a Cortino.  Unreal.  The feeling of this putter versus some other stock offerings was night & day (for me so don't start the bashing).  I use a Gel putter.  I like it alot but this thing was like driving a Porsche.  Mine putter would be a VW.  It's nice but you can tell the level of quality is not the same.

I used to live in rural GA. I got in the habit of just buying mid priced custom putters, trying them, and selling them if they did not work out. I'm talking TP Mills, Bettinardi, C&L, etc. from $150 - $300. I like Tad Moore, Ken Giannini especially. They are pretty nice for the money and are usually dirt cheap on ebay. I actually picked up a Tad Moore tour classic blade yesterday at a local golf shop for $49. It is the same head as the barn find with a copper insert and was in great shape. An absolute steal in my opinion and it was actually 36 inches which is what I play. The only thing you need is a local clubfitter who can change lengths, grips, loft, lie, etc. You will usually not lose much money on a putter and you get to try it. I'm always cycling them through.

Today, I got a nice Gene Nead 8802 style in the mail that I bought on ebay. It is fantastic and I will probably have him build me a custom one.

By the way, I would recommend a Mills Fleetwood or Huey to try based on your stroke. I'm partial to Mills, but all these folks build nice sticks. I wish I had one of all of them. Good luck.