10 Finger Grip

mkotthoff

Why So Much Hate?
Any reason why the 10 Finger Grip gets so much hate? I use it and I'm currently a .5 index. I just don't understand why everyone (including one of my mentors) insists on me making a grip change because it's "not a.good grip." Can anyone help me understand why everyone insists it's a awful grip?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1280883723' post='2616569']
I use a double overlap. Weird, I know. My buddies can't even make contact trying it that way.

Moral of the story - play what works!
[/quote]

Well I have tried the overlap, it felt wierd (different) and didn't really make it feel any more connected. Interlock, I couldn't turnit over at all. I did try double overlap and if I ever made a grip change, it would be to that.

Anyway, I started this because, I get funny looks and borderline laughed at whenever anyone sees my grip. I don't see what's so wrong with it. I'm 15 and I've been playing baseball since I could walk and when I picked up a golf club several years ago, this is what came naturely.

I've used the overlap grip since my third year playing (1988) but I tried the 10-finger grip on Sunday at the range - was somewhat pleased on the short irons. The baseball style 10-finger grip seemed to allow more right hand control.

I played 18 in the evening and by #18 I was exhausted I pushed an approach into the right trap, then dropped one just for sanity's sake. Shanked it into the tree right. Then a third dead right. WTF? So anyway, I dropped 4 more balls and hit them all with the 10 finger grip. The worst of the bunch was 15 feet from the pin. This is hardly conclusive, but I might work it in for short irons. I mean, why the hell not. since I already use a different putting grip that's essentially a one grip handed with the left there just for balance and so people don't make fun of me.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

We actually recommend a ten finger grip to almost all of our students at our golf schools, it can really help in learning how to release the club properly, ie with some forearm roll. It provides more finger strength and clubface control, so good for most women and juniors and men with small hands and weak wrists and forearms. The only drawback is a lack of hand unity in the vertical dimension since with a conventional diagonal in the left palm handle position, the left index finger second knuckle becomes positioned to the left side of the handle, which tends to create less "room" for the right pinkie finger, which results in the left thumb failing to be completely covered by the right thumb pad.

In our Power Grip, this is not an issue - since you are gripping the handle almost at a 90 degree angle to the left palm. This creates room for the right pinkie. The result is about the same degree of hand unity in the vertical dimension as a conventional grip, maybe even better for some golfers.

I use it and will never go back to overlap or reverse overlap methods. I have seen many of our students really benefit from switching to the ten finger Power Grip. More distance and less tendency to slice the ball are usually reported. Moe Norman used a ten finger grip and the all time hole in one champ, former tour player Art Wall, used it as well.

I actually started using the 10 finger grip last year for my driver. If anything it's a reminder to me that I need to let the club release naturally, something I had a hard time doing off the tee. I still cover my left thumb with the right palm though, so not a baseball grip.

I use the standard interlock on all of my other clubs, and reverse overlap on my putter.

[quote name='mkotthoff' timestamp='1280891604' post='2616861']

Well I have tried the overlap, it felt wierd (different) and didn't really make it feel any more connected. Interlock, I couldn't turnit over at all. I did try double overlap and if I ever made a grip change, it would be to that.

Anyway, I started this because, I get funny looks and borderline laughed at whenever anyone sees my grip. I don't see what's so wrong with it. I'm 15 and I've been playing baseball since I could walk and when I picked up a golf club several years ago, this is what came naturely.
[/quote]

I went to the double overlap like Furyk because my right hand likes to take over in the swing and cast the golf club. This grip helps with that tendency as you only have 2 fingers and thumb of your right hand on the grip.

I've found that the 10 finger grip works pretty well on the shorter irons for me. I just use the double overlap to keep my grip more consistent is all.

Another 10 finger grip player here. Not amazing, but a 14 handicap. I grew up playing a regular interlocking grip through high school. After taking 3 years off from the game, I started playing again using a 10 finger grip. It's stuck, and whenever I try to get back to the interlock or overlap I lose every bit of stability and confidence.

i use the 10 finger grip and it feels fine, but i would like to see what the other grip styles look like. anyone have any pics of the different grips styles?

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

I played 10 finger all my life ... until this year. I took lessons for the first time and my instructor said to give overlap or interlock a try, not that I had to do it any way, but just give it a try. Overlap I didn't like at all, but interlock felt ok at first. I worked at it for a week at the range and found that it kept my right hand from overworking, which ended up in a much more consistenly straight ball. Before with the 10 finger I couldn't hit a draw to save my life, but now I'm having pretty good success calling one up.

My problem has always been too strong right hand and consequently hitting either straight right or a fade/slice. The interlock has gone a long way to solve that for me ... maybe it's simply because I think about my grip more before every swing. Like everybody else has said, whatever works!

[quote name='jsanatx' timestamp='1280931965' post='2617722']
i use the 10 finger grip and it feels fine, but i would like to see what the other grip styles look like. anyone have any pics of the different grips styles?
[/quote]

http://golf.about.com/od/golftips/ss/griptypes.htm

Pages 2, 3 and 4 have pictures of the grips.

I think it was in Leadbetter's Faults and Fixes book that he indicates that an interlocking grip provides less wrist action while a two-handed or 10-finger grip produces the most. An overlapping/Vardon grip would be between the two in regard to the amount of wrist action. For those who need to generate more speed and more distance, senior, juniors, women, trying the 10-finger grip may be a way to do so.

[quote name='Jim Waldron' timestamp='1280897272' post='2617079']
We actually recommend a ten finger grip to almost all of our students at our golf schools, it can really help in learning how to release the club properly, ie with some forearm roll. It provides more finger strength and clubface control, so good for most women and juniors and men with small hands and weak wrists and forearms. The only drawback is a lack of hand unity in the vertical dimension since with a conventional diagonal in the left palm handle position, the left index finger second knuckle becomes positioned to the left side of the handle, which tends to create less "room" for the right pinkie finger, which results in the left thumb failing to be completely covered by the right thumb pad.

In our Power Grip, this is not an issue - since you are gripping the handle almost at a 90 degree angle to the left palm. This creates room for the right pinkie. The result is about the same degree of hand unity in the vertical dimension as a conventional grip, maybe even better for some golfers.

I use it and will never go back to overlap or reverse overlap methods. I have seen many of our students really benefit from switching to the ten finger Power Grip. More distance and less tendency to slice the ball are usually reported. Moe Norman used a ten finger grip and the all time hole in one champ, former tour player Art Wall, used it as well.
[/quote]

Jim what is the Power grip? I use the ten finger and I'm a 10 handicap. My only problem is that my right pinkie finger gets a little sore from time to time like you say. Would love to try your grip to see if it helps.

[quote name='bioman' timestamp='1280961919' post='2618925']
I used to use the 10-finger grip. I feel like it provided a tiny bit more control, but less speed. From my experience, I get a bit more speed and less fatigue from overlapping.
[/quote]

I play the 10 finger grip and am a 2 handicap. It is the ONLY reason I have never gone for a lesson. What is the first thing they ask you at every lesson? "Show me your grip". I never wanted to change so I never took a lesson. Someone told me long ago, "if you are NOT willing to change anything, do not take lessons". The last thing you want to do is pay for lessons and than argue with the instructor because you have no intention of changing what you are currently doing. I am never going to make a living playing golf and I will never change from the 10 finger grip. I am Canadian and fought for 2 years to play left handed(my natural swing is left). Back in the late 60's, teaching pro's really tried to get everyone to play right handed. There was a huge reluctance to let anyone play left handed. I bat left in baseball, I shoot left in hockey and i played golf left handed. They instructed my Dad NOT to buy me left handed clubs because golf should be played right handed. I played for 2 years with my friends Left handed clubs and finally gave in because I wanted my own right clubs. My Dad marched me down and bought me right handed clubs and I have played right handed with a 10 finger grip since 1968.

Just another goofy left handed Canadian playing right handed!!
Tommy Canuck

I'd like to see a pic of your putting grip. I was experimenting and did something like that. Like a left handed claw of some sort?

It's like this. Try to focus on the hands.

husker_YYXWSDMAPQLQYVS2008042818553.jpg

Here. Let me make it easier for you.

huskergrip3.jpg

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

I would have glibly said that if you got to your index with 10 finger why change it. But if your getting serius coaching and they are trying to address a fault in your swing maybe there is some method in their madness.

I have played interlocking for so long anything else just feels weird, but reading this thread has made me wonder if trying 10 finger might be worth a go... go figure

[quote name='mkotthoff' timestamp='1280880840' post='2616454']
Any reason why the 10 Finger Grip gets so much hate? I use it and I'm currently a .5 index. I just don't understand why everyone (including one of my mentors) insists on me making a grip change because it's "not a.good grip." Can anyone help me understand why everyone insists it's a awful grip?
[/quote]

I can't figure it out either. The only thing I can think of, is that it's been called a "baseball grip" so then it's not taken seriously. Well, it's not even close to a baseball grip, if you have it positioned properly in the fingers.

I just switched to the 10 finger grip several days ago and so far I love it. I feel more control over the grip with all fingers clamping on it. I also have a much easier time getting my bottom hand in a "neutral" position, because I don't have to worry about keeping an interlock of overlap "intact". I tend to get strong with either of the conventional grips, otherwise I lose hold of the grip. Obviously any movement at all of your hands on the grip during a swing is the worst case scenario, so if a 10 finger grip eliminates this as it does for me so far, then it's the best grip you could use.

One of the all time greats Jimmy Demeret went as far as to say that if he were to have started golf over, he would have used the 10 finger grip and in looking back stated that he would have recommended that most of his students use it. He called it the "full fingered grip". He talks about it in a chapter in Harvey Penick's book "The Game for a Lifetime". The chapter is called 'Jimmy would have changed his grip' and starts on page 147....

http://books.google.com/books?id=NySgl4F6_GwC&pg=PA148&lpg=PA148&dq=jimmy+full+finger+grip&source=bl&ots=75Zo_A39VD&sig=ykbOTb8SYtHGpG4GMRm8V0x3svA&hl=en&ei=RohZTOmQEpOksQPy4rnqDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=jimmy%20full%20finger%20grip&f=false

[quote name='mkotthoff' timestamp='1280880840' post='2616454']
[/quote]

It's nothing but a lot of "Bull Butter"! It gives these "Whack Job Golf Instructors" something to say to try to justify their existence. I also use a ten finger grip and, if truth be known, more golfers use it than you may think. Your grip is just like your swing. If it's comfortable, works for you, and your ball striking is good, ................Go with it and tell the "Whack Job Golf Instructors" to try to sell their "Bridge" to someone else!:angry:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

10-finger here. 3.4 index. I've been as low as 1.8. Works for me. I switched to interlock for awhile but eventually came back.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova