2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Help me with a new Tweener ball please

touch

The Tour balls are out, I need a change Help please
I have played a tour ball forever. I now want a change as I need more distance in my game. I am 48 years old, a 30 year player, 5 handicap, 77mph clubhead speed with 5 iron,
95mph with driver. I hit a 5 iron 165yds. and driver 235yds.

I need a ball that will give me more yards...just a little. I am excellent around the greens so it must be on the soft side and "feel" is very important.

I have tried the Nike Vapor and liked it. I too have tried the Titleist NXT (regular model), and it was ok.

Not tried anything else. So fellow member's I say good by to Pro V's and Nike One's for now. I need a wee bit more yards and durability too. Does a ball exist with these characteristics?

Please no Callaway suggestions....I can not stand to look at Hexagon dimples at all.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3 & 5 fw  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4   4 & 5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790  6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  

TM                  Spider cs  Golf Pride P Only Blue Star 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your stats are nearly identical to mine and I have went back and forth between the 3 and 4 piece urethane covered (or tour ball as you refer to it) and the various 3 piece distance balls (non urethane cover). It's always a honeymoon period w/ the non urethane cover balls and I always go back to the tour/urethane ball for the spin into the greens on less than full wedge shots. None of the 3 piece distance balls perform like a tour/urethane ball in that (less than full wedges) category. Likely not what you want to hear, but w/ that I have two suggestions:

Srixon Z star

and

Wilson FG Tour

Both are urethane/tour balls and are the softest I've played in the tour/urethane category (I have not played the Bridgestone 330 RX). And I don't mean soft in a bad way at all, as they are not mushy at all, they both feel great off all clubs and are not firm like a lot of tour level balls or the x model of any particular ball. Both are long off the driver and perform very well into the greens on chips, pitches as far as spin goes. The main difference being the Z star spins a tad more off the face of the driver and from there they are pretty equal in performance. Both are very durable, w/ the z star getting the edge in durability and the fg tour is not far behind. If you are using wedges w/ really aggressive grooves and/or secondary skim milling on the face the z star is the only tour level ball that will hold up to those characteristics. If gaming a wedge w/ less aggressive grooves then the fg tour holds up very well.

If you haven't tried either, buy a sleeve and give them a try, you won't be disappointed.

You should really fit a ball from the green backwards.

I think that the B'Stone RX-S or Maxfli Tour LC can give you the control and feel around the green and a little added distance from the tee.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

[quote name='ode1' timestamp='1280366936' post='2605224']
Your stats are nearly identical to mine and I have went back and forth between the 3 and 4 piece urethane covered (or tour ball as you refer to it) and the various 3 piece distance balls (non urethane cover). It's always a honeymoon period w/ the non urethane cover balls and I always go back to the tour/urethane ball for the spin into the greens on less than full wedge shots. None of the 3 piece distance balls perform like a tour/urethane ball in that (less than full wedges) category. Likely not what you want to hear, but w/ that I have two suggestions:

Srixon Z star

and

Wilson FG Tour

Both are urethane/tour balls and are the softest I've played in the tour/urethane category (I have not played the Bridgestone 330 RX). And I don't mean soft in a bad way at all, as they are not mushy at all, they both feel great off all clubs and are not firm like a lot of tour level balls or the x model of any particular ball. Both are long off the driver and perform very well into the greens on chips, pitches as far as spin goes. The main difference being the Z star spins a tad more off the face of the driver and from there they are pretty equal in performance. Both are very durable, w/ the z star getting the edge in durability and the fg tour is not far behind. If you are using wedges w/ really aggressive grooves and/or secondary skim milling on the face the z star is the only tour level ball that will hold up to those characteristics. If gaming a wedge w/ less aggressive grooves then the fg tour holds up very well.

If you haven't tried either, buy a sleeve and give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
[/quote]

Thanks for this thorough post....and thanks to all the comments.
These really help. A guy who's opinion at Golfsmith loves to recommend the Bridgestone RX. That is what I was told this evening.

Not any word on the Titleist NXT Tour?

My swing speed and distances are the same as yours, although my handicap is double. I had such high hopes for the RX, but it was a complete flop for me on the course. I wouldn't say I'm 100% in love, but I'm playing NXT tours right now. Sort of surprised you haven't tried it yet since it's probably the #1 ball in our swing speed range that isn't a urethane ball. It and the regular NXT are very different balls. I am 100% in love with it off the driver though, so it may give you what your wanting, but it's a trade off around and on the greens for sure.

Edit: Trispeed is worth a try also, it's what I was playing before switching to the NXT tour and probably what I'll play once temps are under 70.

Oh another factor.
I live and play in the desert. So forget the super heat now, but it is at least 75* most of the year that I tee it up.

I see my love for greenside shots might make me stay with a Tour ball right?

Lots of comments of play the ball that suits you from the green back.

Please keep the help coming. I am a true equipment ho who is temporarily retired now for 8 months ( a record) but never educated on different balls for abilities and performance.

Thanks fellow golfer's

I got a sleeve of NXT Tours and were impressed. They were good compared to my ProV1x's and held greens easily. They were only 5-7 yards longer than my ProV1x but didn't get that good hard checking shot around the green as i do with my ProV1xs. It rolled out about 2 feet from where i wanted it to stop, but i adjusted easily and was still a good ball. It is very durable compared to ProV1x's and would recommend them for a cheaper, longer ball.

I would give the Wilson Staff FG Tour balls a go, tour performance without the price. As long as anything, better feel than most and just solid all round performance.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

[quote name='TOUCH' timestamp='1280361673' post='2605095']
I have played a tour ball forever. I now want a change as I need more distance in my game. I am 48 years old, a 30 year player, 5 handicap, 77mph clubhead speed with 5 iron,
95mph with driver. I hit a 5 iron 165yds. and driver 235yds.

[/quote]

I am the same in terms of distance/swingspeed. I usually play ZStar's and have played some with the RX's. I too am wondering if I could gain a few yards off the tee without losing much around the green.

So in our league game last night I used some Bruner TP's that I had sitting around. Mixed results. My drives were not that much longer than I am used to. But I did have trouble biting the greens on both full shots (with a high soft 9 iron) and on partial shots (especially). The greens were fairly firm after a few hot windy days (but I have seem them way firmer). If the greens were soft I would have had much less problem keeping the ball on the green.

If I were you I would try the Rx, rx(s), ZStar and TourD before the mid-tier balls. You might get more distance than the ProV without losing touch around the green.

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

My skills sounds similar to yours. So, the balls that come to mind are Bridgestone e5, e6, or e7. The e5 is a favorite of mine, has a urethane cover (2 piece ball), great distance and great touch around the green. The e6 and e7 might be a bit more durable, though. My top recommendation, and a surprisingly good ball, is the Top Flite Gamer V2 (even though, technically, it is a Callaway ball). It excels at distance and durability and works well with the short game.

Thank you gentlemen.
Great ideas of which to try out. Please keep them coming.
It is appreciated very much.

I think I am leaning towards the Bridgestone
B330 RXS

To the OP, I gotta agree with some others, the Bridgestone E5 is a great 2 piece urethane ball. It has good distance, and good stopping power and "feel" with your irons. It's about $26 a dozen, and sometimes goes on sale for around $21ish from time to time. Also, the Z-Star is a great ball. My personal favorite. Very soft, long, good feel and great around the greens.

To the others that posted about the NXT vs NXT Tours - What's the huge difference? I was given a dozen NXTs for my birthday, and I thought it was a great ball, not to mention extremely durable. Even held up to multiple wedge shot with MD grooves and looked almost brand new after about 8 holes until I lost it. I played just after a a couple rainy days, so I had no problem stopping it on the green. How do the NXT tours play different?

I am a big fan of trying different balls as I feel it is the easiest way to change/improve your game without changing anything else.

Considering your situation, and I think lots of guys are in the same situation, I'll just throw out my 5 cents on the category of ball you're looking at.

Your swingspeed, and your spin needs to me will somewhat conflict what you get out of the ball. The best 'tweener' ball in your category is:

[b]Bridgestone E5 [/b](this IS the Bridgestone RX without the price. The RX is purely a result of marketing hype IMHO. Eurethane is eurethane. Period) The problem is this ball is master of nothing but very good at a lot of things.

[b]Srixon AD333[/b]: Another of my top picks in the mid price category. I find for a lack of eurethane, this cover does great things for respectable spin, and the core lets you get some real distance in the sub 110 MPH swing speed. I have had some of my best rounds with this thing.

The best high level balls for what you're looking for:

[b]NIKE Tour D[/b]. Nike seems to fall in and out of favour frequently around here, but I really believe this is a VERY good ball and would suit a LOT of GolfWRX's. It does mitigate driver spin very well, while retaining respectable greenside stopping power. Try a sleeve.

[b]Taylormade LDP Red[/b]: You'd have to find these used. For a while I think this may have been possilby the most popular ball on this website. This ball was really REALLY good. Most people who used it (that I know, myself included) did not move to the Penta when they left this ball design. It really was a gem.

[b]Wilson FG Tour: [/b]I think Wilson/Wilson Staff is tremendously underestimated by North Americans and myself included. This ball started getting really good reviews from players, so I took a chance.... this ball goes very long and still acheives a good feel and good spin. This ball is a 'best kept secret' and as a result it goes on sale a lot. If you combine price with performance, this might be the best pick of all IMHO. Just under the radar enough that they don't sell to the 'cool' crowd, but it does flat out perform.

That gives you a few things to think about. The only balls I didn't bother with are the cheapest ones... the Top Flight Gamer types.

Personally I play a Pro V1 for short game. But I'm thinking of giving my wallet a break. I've played them all year but I am missing a few yards, and a lost Pro V1 is like a kick in the jimmie's.

Personally I have similar requirements to you and my top current picks are the FG Tour and the Tour D. Good luck!

[quote name='ode1' timestamp='1280366936' post='2605224']

Srixon Z star

and

Wilson FG Tour

[/quote]

+1 Excellent advice.

[quote name='Tylanthus' timestamp='1280362992' post='2605129']
I'd try all the Bridgestone offerings targeted at <100mph driver speeds. I imagine one of the RX balls is perfect for you. If you want to go a touch cheaper... give the e series a shot as well.
[/quote]
+1 RX and RXS should fit you like a glove.

M1 440 8.5 Project X Hzrdus Black
SLDR Mini 12 long neck black tie 80
x2 Hot 5 Deep 82x Diamana D+
Titleist 714 AP2 KBS Tour X
ATV Tour issue 54/58
XFT 50
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 1 Arm Lock