2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Why do I hit the ProV1x farther than ProV1?

masterli

low swing speed
So last year I bought ProV1x balls (a bunch used) on accident. I thought the V1x were the lower compression ones. I had my best year last year. End of last year I bought ProV1's then played them this year. I lost almost 5-8 yards w/ every club and at first attributed it to my swing. Now in the middle of the season I realized it was the ball. I have a low swing speed. I've never been on a monitor but a killed drive for me is probably 235 carry so i'm guessing my swing speed is high 80's on a good one. So what's going on? I'm "supposed" to used the ball w/ more spin but it's making me take more club. What's going on here?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='masterli' date='11 July 2010 - 04:17 AM' timestamp='1278839856' post='2568236']
So last year I bought ProV1x balls (a bunch used) on accident. I thought the V1x were the lower compression ones. I had my best year last year. End of last year I bought ProV1's then played them this year. I lost almost 5-8 yards w/ every club and at first attributed it to my swing. Now in the middle of the season I realized it was the ball. I have a low swing speed. I've never been on a monitor but a killed drive for me is probably 235 carry so i'm guessing my swing speed is high 80's on a good one. So what's going on? I'm "supposed" to used the ball w/ more spin but it's making me take more club. What's going on here?
[/quote]

Do you spin the ball? Do you hit it high? Do your iron shots roll out? There's a lot of factors that could be causing the difference. It's been discussed on here a ton, just because you don't have a tour caliber swing speed it doesn't mean you can't benefit from the ProV1x.

[quote name='RacineBoxer' date='11 July 2010 - 07:06 AM' timestamp='1278846364' post='2568252']
[quote name='masterli' date='11 July 2010 - 04:17 AM' timestamp='1278839856' post='2568236']
[/quote]

Do you spin the ball? Do you hit it high? Do your iron shots roll out? There's a lot of factors that could be causing the difference. It's been discussed on here a ton, just because you don't have a tour caliber swing speed it doesn't mean you can't benefit from the ProV1x.
[/quote]

my swing speed is 105 which i thought was not fast enough to benefit from prov1x and im finding the ball goes further and spins more then the prov1. anyone else notice this as well?

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

[quote name='hurricanes7' date='11 July 2010 - 08:20 AM' timestamp='1278850823' post='2568298']
[quote name='RacineBoxer' date='11 July 2010 - 07:06 AM' timestamp='1278846364' post='2568252']
[/quote]

[/quote]

my swing speed is 105 which i thought was not fast enough to benefit from prov1x and im finding the ball goes further and spins more then the prov1. anyone else notice this as well?
[/quote]

YEP! I spin (with the short irons) the X a ton more than the regular pro v1, played in a tourney two weeks ago and had to adjust distance on short shots to hit deeper on the green because the ball was spinning back so far. Remember when the Pro V1 came out? It was drop and stop advertising. EDIT: my driver ss is 106

[quote name='blade_man' date='11 July 2010 - 08:37 AM' timestamp='1278851877' post='2568318']
[quote name='hurricanes7' date='11 July 2010 - 08:20 AM' timestamp='1278850823' post='2568298']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

YEP! I spin (with the short irons) the X a ton more than the regular pro v1, played in a tourney two weeks ago and had to adjust distance on short shots to hit deeper on the green because the ball was spinning back so far. Remember when the Pro V1 came out? It was drop and stop advertising. EDIT: my driver ss is 106
[/quote]

My swing speed is about 100 and the x ball goes further and spins about the same this year. That has not always been the case for me. By far the best ball I've found for me is the srixon zstar. Great ball.

My driver ss is consistently right at 90mph. I've tried - and played regularly - every premium ball on the market - including those especially designed for low swing speeds. However, since its inception, the one ball that I find has been the longest for me off the driver, has been the Pro V1x. I never bought into the SS > 125 to get the most of brand x ball. Some balls may require higher swing speeds to compress COMPLETELY. But, the Prov1x performs for me in all aspects of my game, including driver distance, with my avg/slow swing speed. Go figure. One final note - again - ProV1x is by far the longest ball off the tee for me at 90mph ss, with the exception of one other ball and that's the TP Red LDP. Prov1x is measurabley longer for me than anything by 10-30 yards .... but... TP Red LDP is close ... within 5 yards (shorter)... so I currently hit both of these. DSGA tourneys though? ProV1x is in the bag. Bottom line, don't pay too much attention to all the latest swing speed designed ball hype. Hit what works for you.

thanks for the replies. i guess i was looking more for the explanation of why but sounds like it's a ton of factors. as i'm reading more threads though it seems across the board the high compression balls go farther than their low compression counter parts no matter the swing speed. what's the point of the low compression balls then? just spin? i imagine i'm getting enough spin for my own game then? when i think about it i do play more spinny shafts (nippon 1050's) and my 10.5* driver probably adds enough. the proV1 is actually too spinny for me w/ pitch and chip shots as i want more rollout. i didn't notice it too much on my full swings except for the distance loss so kept attributing it to my swing. i guess it's my new winter ball now that i have a couple dozen left...

There was a link posted on here a little while ago that showed the Prov 1x was one of the longest premium balls on the market for guys with swing speeds ~100 mph. I am right in the 101-103 range and the 1x has been the one ball that I keep going back to time after time, I have hit almost all the premium balls sans callaway and find the v1x fits my game the best.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

It is probably just all about spin rate.

Ping G400 LST 8.5 w/ Tensei Orange 70TX tipped 1" 
Titleist 917 F3 15 w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.2TS X tipped 1"
Callaway X Forged UT 18 w/ KBS $-Taper X
Mizuno MP-25 4-W w/ C-Taper X
Taylormade Tour Preferred EF Chrome 52/56 w/ KBS Tour S
Taylormade High Toe 60 w/ KBS 610
Odyssey 7

The Pro V1x is a lower spinning ball than the Pro V1. It has less dimples 332 vs 392 on the Pro V1, thus reducing spin and drag factor. However, around the greens it might spin more because it is a four piece ball like the Nike One Tour, and the Pro V1 is a three piece ball. My uniformed guess would be that your spin rate off your driver is higher with the Pro V1 versus the Pro V1x. Too low of spin equals no carry and loss of distance but so does too high of spin. The ball ballons more and has no roll out.

My SS is at 105 and I have played the Pro V1x since it came out because it is designed for higher swing speeds and spin players looking to reduce spin and provide a more penetrating ball flight. The only ball I have found that even came close to it was the original Nike One Black, which was actually better in windy conditions. However, last week I tried the Penta TP from Taylormade. I am not a fan of Taylormade, but I was given a sleeve to try from our club professional. Very long and low spin off the driver, but it had incredible spin around the greens. I was short of the green about 50yds and short sided with a front pin and I hit a low SW shot that landed on the front and took one hop and stopped on a dime 2ft pin high from the hole. I was sold right there with this ball. I proceeded to stick two more within 2ft with my approach shots firing right at the pin on two par fours. I would say that this ball is every bit as good as the Pro V1x, but where it shines is that the cover is more durable. Solid struck wedge shots do not chew up the cover like they do on the Pro V1x. I bought another sleeve and I am going to play this ball this week in the member guest invitational and see how it works for me, but I will have the Pro V1x as back up!

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

[quote name='masterli' date='11 July 2010 - 05:17 AM' timestamp='1278839856' post='2568236']
[/quote]

the x will not have as much spin so if you are applying sidespin, it would make sense that you are doing better with that model...to the greens, I doubt if there is much difference between to the two..maybe one bounce more before stopping?

the total difference between all the titleist balls in driving distance is about 4 yards.

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' date='13 July 2010 - 12:50 PM' timestamp='1279050639' post='2573557']
There was a link posted on here a little while ago that showed the Prov 1x was one of the longest premium balls on the market for guys with swing speeds ~100 mph. I am right in the 101-103 range and the 1x has been the one ball that I keep going back to time after time, I have hit almost all the premium balls sans callaway and find the v1x fits my game the best.
[/quote]

here is the link to the other post and info I was talking about
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/383069-longest-ball-still-with-some-feel-for-100mph-ss/page__pid__2518054#entry2518054"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/383069-longest-ball-still-with-some-feel-for-100mph-ss/page__pid__2518054#entry2518054[/url]

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I'm around 106MPH and I haven't found that to be true at all.
In fact, I think any yardage I might gain (nominal at best) with the V1X is lost on me because I prefer the feel of the V1 (this year's model).

The V1 is plenty long. If I switchet the V1x I'd probably add a stroke or two in short game around. That isn't worth 5 yards to me. Now if I wanted to try and score lower by adding yardage, I wouldn't be playing either of these balls, so I wouldn't change from one to the other (if you know you like it for putting/chipping) just for a couple of yards.

[quote name='elunoputter' date='13 July 2010 - 03:32 PM' timestamp='1279053168' post='2573688']

the total difference between all the titleist balls in driving distance is about 4 yards.
[/quote]

Highly dependent on the swing. For example, the 2008 Golf Magazine robotic test found that at 90 mph there was a difference of 8.5 yards between the shortest Titleist model (ProV1) and the longest (NXT Extreme).

Those numbers would be different at 80 mph, 100 mph, 110 mph and so on. Then you have to take into account attack & launch angles, spin, and many other factors that make it impossible to say that one ball is universally longer/shorter than another.

[quote name='Clubtuner' date='11 July 2010 - 07:07 AM' timestamp='1278850043' post='2568287']
The biggest reason is more than likley spin. The Pro-V1x launches a bit higher than the regular Pro-V as well.
Combine those two factors with a slower swing speed and there you have it, a few more yards!
[/quote]
But it is not really that much less spin, in tests I have seen. Also, many better golfers I know catch flyers from the fairway with the x...just goes 10yds further sometimes. Weird ball if u ask me!

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

[quote name='masterli' date='13 July 2010 - 03:38 PM' timestamp='1279049901' post='2573524']
thanks for the replies. i guess i was looking more for the explanation of why but sounds like it's a ton of factors.
[/quote]

YEP. I've "tried" to explain this before, but I'll make the effort again .....

Asking questions about what equipment to use on this board, from a friend, from a touring professional, or from anyone else is, at best, an exercise in futility. There are many, many variables that effect club selection, ball selection, and the yardages that you effectively play your clubs.

Here are but a FEW:

Angle of attack into the ball
Swing speed
Shaft flex
Shaft dynamics (moreso than flex sometimes)
Launch angle (not necessarily attack angle)
Clubhead design

If you gave 10 "pretty good" players the same irons, shafts, and balls, you could almost be GUARANTEED to get 10 different launch angles, distances, and huge variances in spin rates.

We're not machines. Everyone's different. Some hit it high ... some hit it low. Some sweep the ball ... others are diggers.

As an example ... Have you ever tried to "take some spin off" of a wedge shot? What if you hit EVERY shot in that manner? Would it effect your ultimate ball selection? Of course it would.

The very BEST way to find your preferred equipment is EXACTLY what you did ... experiment with different combinations.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

[quote name='moonshine' date='15 July 2010 - 10:05 AM' timestamp='1279206350' post='2577595']
[quote name='Clubtuner' date='11 July 2010 - 07:07 AM' timestamp='1278850043' post='2568287']
The biggest reason is more than likley spin. The Pro-V1x launches a bit higher than the regular Pro-V as well.
Combine those two factors with a slower swing speed and there you have it, a few more yards!
[/quote]
But it is not really that much less spin, in tests I have seen. Also, many better golfers I know catch flyers from the fairway with the x...just goes 10yds further sometimes. Weird ball if u ask me!
[/quote]

That is less spin off the driver not irons. I agree that it is a strange/unique ball when it is able to decrease alot of spin off the tee while playing nearly the same around the greens as its softer/spinnier counterpart.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='cantdrawit23' timestamp='1278852924' post='2568346']
That's confusing because isn't the V1 considered the higher spin ball? I like the V1x but haven't used the V1 because it would cause more sidespin off my tee shots.
[/quote]

Does the V1 generate more side spin than the V1x?

What if you cannot compress the V1x enough and create more sidespin than being able to compress the V1 of the driver face?

There was a snippet in a golf mag this month that dismissed the myth of "you have to have a 120+MPH SS to unlock the true potential of some balls" They basically demonstrated that the same ball goes proportionally the same distance with different tour players who had vastly different swing speeds. Assuming the tour player already has their driver/shaft optimized, there was no gain or loss in distance due to unlocking a higher level of compression.

[quote name='stevestrike' timestamp='1281581754' post='2633849']
There was a snippet in a golf mag this month that dismissed the myth of "you have to have a 120+MPH SS to unlock the true potential of some balls" They basically demonstrated that the same ball goes proportionally the same distance with different tour players who had vastly different swing speeds. Assuming the tour player already has their driver/shaft optimized, there was no gain or loss in distance due to unlocking a higher level of compression.
[/quote]

Do you have a link to this article?
Which golf mag was this in?
I'd like to take a read.
Thanks.

It's in Golf Magazine September 2010 issue. It's a very short article (about 1/3 of a page), but the summary is:

[quote]Whether the player swings at 120 mph or 100 mph, his distance is proportional to his clubhead speed (near 40%). Since there is no exponential increase in length as swing speed goes up, there is no truth to the "ball boost" myth. Brad Faxon is getting just as much out of his ball as Bubba Watson; he just swings slower.[/quote]

All the players in the chart got 39-40% with only one getting 38%. It seems like a pretty neat way to estimate your swing speed. If you measure a drive at 295 yards, the swing speed would be 112-118.