2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Wood Brothers Texan

Dukeman,
There are occasionally a few copy cats out there. I have not seen a Wood Bros club that ever said "Texan" on the sole plate. The Wood Bros "Texan" said "Texas Golf Co." on the sole plate. The sole plate was the shape of the State of Texas. Most of them also were engraved in Cursive "Wood Bros" in the wood on the bottom of the club and had the Oil Rig above the sole plate. See pic, this is an early 1990's model Texan that Dave Wood custom made for Masters Champion Jackie Burke. Jackie decided after the club was built he'd rather have one that sat more closed at address with more loft and one that had more flex in the shaft.

Practically all the Wood Bros Texan drivers say TEXAS GOLF CO on the sole plate - except for a very few custom clubs for some companys’ advertising pieces produced by Charlie Wood after founder Dave Wood sold the company.
Most, at least the early models, exhibit a slight curving of the TEXAS GOLF CO because of a slipping clamp....as Dave Wood has told me.

A very few (less than 5) of the first prototypes had Texan etched into the crown.

There are modern metal woods with Texan on the sole, but they aren't Wood Bros clubs, being produced long after Wood Bros closed. In the past, MacGregor made store-line woods and irons Texan models autographed with various Texas born MacGregor staff members - Hogan, Nelson, Demaret, and Crenshaw.

I have several examples which Dave Wood refinished for me and explained that my collection contains some of the oldest/original clubs he made.

The script Wood Bros to the side of the sole plate varies, and may be in a slightly different location, on clubs made at different times. The earliest clubs are seldom seen but, because Dave says he didn't have a stamp for Wood Bros, so he engraved Wood Bros. He says that the earliest engravings are his actual signature, but are rare. The engraved originals are smaller font, and have a slightly different writting style...a loop at the top of the B is the most easily seen, and in a different location toward the shaft. Most clubs have a larger, stamped Wood Bros script.Also, the script Wood Bros is missing from many clubs made for Tour pros.

Dave says he was the first to put the loft of the club on the sole plate. The lofts are on drivers and fairway woods......except those made for some Tour pros....no loft was on many pro custom ordered clubs. Some pros got clubs from Wood Bros Tour rep, usually of Tour site driving ranges before tournaments, which would generally have the loft.

The winged WB crown stamp was something Dave modified from the old MacGregor emblem. It is stamped on all clubs, except custom Tour issued models, when a pro frequently preferred a blank crown.

The most common insert color is White/Black/White fiber with black rams horn sole slip.

Early prototype clubs and custom orders, including those for Tour pros are most likely to have different inserts.

Some Tour examples:

Ballesteros.....(1) Green/White/Green with green ramshorn slip.

.......................(2) Black fiber with Aluminum bullseye firing pin(Like MacGregor Eye-O-Matic 60)/ Black ramshorn slip.(This club is also finished Black instead of the traditional stain)

Hal Sutton.......White insert

Crenshaw........White/Grey/White with 3 Blacks dowels in grey (Like MacGregor SS-1Velocitized insert)

Ian Woosnan .......White/Red/White insert

Steve Jones .......White/Black/White insert

Jeff Sluman ........White/Black/White insert installed slightly more toward the heel than standard.

Hugh Royner ......Red insert

The first model of fairway woods are much rarer than the drivers, and have FAIRWAY INSTRUMENT and the loft on the brass sweptback sole plate, plus Wood Bros script beside it. The earliest fairway instruments have a larger FAIRWAY INSTRUMENT stamp and a smaller, engraved signature Wood Bros. The brass sole plates are different thicknesses in each club, as Dave used them to swingweight each club, so each was hand made.

The insert of the earliest model Fairway Instrument I have is solid White fiber, but varied like the drivers with later production.

Later models were White/Black/White, White/Red/White, White/Grey/White, and I have a Tour model made for George Burns, and a L Texan which have Red/White/Red Eye-O-Matic style inserts..

Early Fairway Instruments have no rams horn. The brass soleplate extends to the bottom of the insert.

If anyone wishes, I can post some pics. Her's a pic of Dave inspecting his oil soaking tanks, and enraging clubs..years ago. I remember when we used to go up there with Dave and select our own heads.

[attachment=680448:DaveWoodOilSoakingHeads.jpg]

Texsport

• Like 1

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Seve WB custom driver after he won the Masters.
[attachment=680516:Wood Bros Drivers an FWs 007.jpg]
[attachment=680517:Wood Bros Drivers an FWs 008.jpg]
[attachment=680521:Wood Bros Drivers an FWs 009.jpg]

NOTES:
No crown stamp.
No Wood Bros sole stamp
No loft stamp.

Texsport

Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Wood Bros Tour Issued Custom Experimental driver--Eye-O-Matic 60 Firing Pin Insert - a rarity originally made for Seve Ballesteros.
[attachment=680534:Wood Bros Drivers an FWs 010.jpg]
[attachment=680536:Wood Bros Drivers an FWs 011.jpg][attachment=680537:Wood Bros Drivers an FWs 012.jpg]

NOTES:
No crown stamp
No loft
Custom insert---also inspired by Seve , who liked and played the MacGregor Eye-O-Matic 60 - this design only made 4 or 5 times for Tour......in 1 batch.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Early Wood Bros FAIRWAY INSTUMENT---14* Custom.
[attachment=680539:Wood Bros Drivers an FWs 001.jpg]
[attachment=680541:Wood Bros Drivers an FWs 002.jpg]
[attachment=680542:Wood Bros Drivers an FWs 003.jpg]

NOTES:
Personally selected head from WB oil hardening tanks - what grain!
Individually weighted and shaped brass sole plate.
Large FAIRWAY INSTRUMENT stamp.
Small Wood Bros was hand engraved - Dave Wood's actual handwriting.
White fiber insert
Face depth custom for each order
6 scoring line = a little deeper face.
No rams horn sole slip.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Later FAIRWAY INSTRUMENT---Custom 15*.
[attachment=680545:Wood Bros Drivers an FWs 004.jpg]
[attachment=680546:Wood Bros Drivers an FWs 005.jpg]
[attachment=680548:Wood Bros Drivers an FWs 006.jpg]

NOTES:
Personally selected head from oil hardening tanks.(Grain and carbon spot)
Smaller FAIRWAY INSTRUMENT stamp
Stamped, larger Wood Bros script.(Moved beyond hand engraving by then)
White/Black/White fiber insert.
5 scoring lines = slightly shallow face.
Custom weighted and shaped brass sole plate.
No rams horn sole slip.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Spanish Texan as per Seve Ballesteros request.
[attachment=680549:SEVEEspania#1.jpg]

NOTES:

This model was made for Seve.(Dave has confirmed that this was Seve's club)

Notice no loft on sole plate as with other Tour Issued clubs.

This black finish is the same as on my Eye-O-Matic firing pin model made originally for Seve.

Dave made other models similar to the USA model Texan, including examples with with a US map, a Louisiana map, and a map of Japan on the sole. A Masters edition was made with a US map and flag in a hole at Augusta.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Did anyone notice the absolutely perfect grain in all these heads?

It's a trade mark characteristic of every Dave Wood fantastic creation.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

While I'm at it....Wood Bros hand forged Championship Balance blades.
[attachment=680607:WBros 6Iron.jpg]

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Wood Bros BENCH MARK 60s putters.
[attachment=680609:WBTGB3SOLE.jpg]
[attachment=680611:WBTGB3Face.jpg]
[attachment=680612:WBTGB3 Flange.jpg]

There were 4-5 models of these. I think I've got 'em all somewhere in one of my racks.

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Texsport,
Thanks for posting the pics of those Original beauties. Wow! Is all I can say, you own some un real clubs. I love it!! The Seve B model with the Green/white/Green insert is stunning ( I like how the sole plate has minimal markings, thats very original) as are those old fairway instruments. I think Dave showed me a pic of that one time, it could be the coolest Texan I've seen. Your right, Dave's Wood Bros clubs were made with the best material and best choice blocks, with excellent grain pattern, yours are a great example of that. I also have one of his original fairway instruments as well with the brass sole plate. It could use a refinish, but its in very good shape, (blonde like yours, but 15*), white/black/white. Dave mentioned that he probably only made around 50 of the original model.

Here is a picture of the custom made "WB85" Dave made for Ben Crenshaw in 1987, which I own. It was made to his specs and was a copy of his Mac M85W, Ben chose the block. It originally had a Hogan 5 shaft in it. In 1991 when Ben returned the driver per Dave's request. The shaft was replaced with a DG S300 and used as a photo sample for the WB custom catalog and was displayed with other Crenshaw memorabilia at the WB offices for many years. Dave said in play this driver would launch a bit higher than a normal 9* due to its modestly increased face progression as per Ben's personal preference.

And needless to say Dave Wood is one heck of a nice guy.

[quote name='freddiec' timestamp='1289160958' post='2779022']
Texsport,
Thanks for posting the pics of those Original beauties. Wow! Is all I can say, you own some un real clubs. I love it!! The Seve B model with the Green/white/Green insert is stunning ( I like how the sole plate has minimal markings, thats very original) as are those old fairway instruments. I think Dave showed me a pic of that one time, it could be the coolest Texan I've seen. Your right, Dave's Wood Bros clubs were made with the best material and best choice blocks, with excellent grain pattern, yours are a great example of that. I also have one of his original fairway instruments as well with the brass sole plate. It could use a refinish, but its in very good shape, (blonde like yours, but 15*), white/black/white. Dave mentioned that he probably only made around 50 of the original model.

Here is a picture of the custom made "WB85" Dave made for Ben Crenshaw in 1987, which I own. It has awesome dense U grain. One of the best grain patterns I've seen ever, very similar to what Jack had in his 945W.

And needless to say Dave Wood is one heck of a nice guy.
[/quote]

freddiec

I saw Crenshaw's driver at Dave's shop many years ago. Really a beautiful work of art.

At different times he had Bob Tway's and Andy Bean's clubs which I was priveledged enough to witness then.

The grain in Dave's blocks were always fabulous. I picked a couple of blocks for drivers with carbon spots.. very dense grain...which I'll post pics of some time.

Thanks for posting your pics, as well as all the info I just found from your old posts.

Dave lives about 5 blocks from my office in Houston and we have lunch every now and then, which always turns into 4 hour golf club and golf story discussions.

Has he ever told you about the time Jackie Burke had Steve Elkington deliver one of Ben Hogan's drivers to Dave for a quick repair?

As Dave described it...."now that's pressure!"

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Wow....some gorgeous clubs here. I had never seen the older fairway woods, or the experimental Texan.

Seve's blonde club is amazing....

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Texsport,
Dave did tell me that club repair story. We've spoken a few times on the phone and its usually atleast a 2 hour conversation. He recountered many stories, one in particular that always stands out is when he showed up at Jackie Burke's club one morning with a club he had just built and was very excited to show Mr. Burke. Jack took one look at it and gave it back to Dave and said "ok, Mr. Perfect, I want to see you tee this up and make your perfect swing and hit a perfect shot". His point to Dave was the average golfer needs a club that doesnt' sit perfect, but would need one with more face progression and slighly closed. I'm paraphrashing of course, but you get the point I'm sure. I'm sure you have heard the story as well.

Also, one day when working in his shop he had a butterfly sole plate upside down on the table, his wife walked by and said, geez, that looks like the State of Texas. Thats how the Texas sole plate idea came about.

I'd love to see more from your collection including the ones with Carbon, Dave used a lot of Dark wood and blocks that contain lots of Carbon.

One of my favorites is this one that has a lot of Carbon. You might have seen this before, its was one Dave made for Mr. Burke. It sits beautifully and of course has nice tight grain. Dave mentioned it a twin to the one Langer used when he won the Masters.

Yes, Dave really remembers and loves to tell stories of incidents which taught him about club making.

BTW---he intends to do a little club verification in the future I beleieve. He has given me authentication certificates for some of his clubs in the past. I've encouraged him to use his knowledge of clubs as a business.

He hasn't much time for it though, with his art going great guns now.

http://www.davewoodarts.com/

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Here is another Wood Bros Texan that was used on Tour in the late 80s. It was made by Dave to show tour players the new head shape and Wood Bros potential. At the LA Open in 1988 Langer hit this one so well on the Range that he took it for a couple of years. He had his caddy in the range field while he hit this driver against a few others and he liked this one the best and kept it. Its the only Wood Bros driver that bares Dave Wood's name (so Dave thinks). Andy Bean also used this for a short time. The grain is something I've only seen in old 50s Macs. It has a S500 shaft and a green victory grip. When Bernhard used the driver he had lead tape on the back over Dave's signature. Dave later made a custom Texan for Langer which he used to win the 93 Masters.

freddiec

Thanks for sharing again.

These collections are very important to maintain, as Dave Wood has not retained a personal collection of his great work. He has only a few one-of-a-kind clubs still in his posession. One I've seen is a club with the U S presidential seal made for the Secretary of State I believe.

Besides being a great artist,he is a very generous person with his knowledge, time, and clubs.

I'll add a couple more pics soon.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Texsport, is the Seve driver the one DW sold on ebay last year? If so you got it for a bargain :-)
If i remember correctly it also had the insert slightly more towards the heel and Seve later had his clubguy sand a little off the sole and install the sandvik ti shaft.

The firing pin black driver is very nice. I have a soft spot for black heads and honeycoloured heads like the seve wb and fred's crenshaw driver.

Please post more! I'll post pics of my own two wb's when i get home.

Here is another that I purchased from Babe Zaharias Estate that I really like. The head shape, face profile is identical to another one that I have (Jackie Burke) and they both sit perfectly square with little to no face progression. Both had a lot of carbon deposits and very tight U grain. I especially like the stain and finish on this Texan. I've played this a few times and its a super solid block. I showed some pics to Dave and he loved this head and said by the looks of it, he most likely selected the turning and custom built this driver. Also a pic of it side by side with the Mr. Burke driver (on the right).

I think I'm done :-)

[quote name='84425' timestamp='1289498238' post='2785593']
Texsport, is the Seve driver the one DW sold on ebay last year? If so you got it for a bargain :-)
If i remember correctly it also had the insert slightly more towards the heel and Seve later had his clubguy sand a little off the sole and install the sandvik ti shaft.

The firing pin black driver is very nice. I have a soft spot for black heads and honeycoloured heads like the seve wb and fred's crenshaw driver.

Please post more! I'll post pics of my own two wb's when i get home.
[/quote]

That's the club and I did get it for a song---because nobody bid against me.

I actually had bid $1,000 on the club because I really wanted it. I had purchased some wedges from Dave just a while before that and was watching daily for more clubs to come up.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Here are my two WB's.

First is a very early Texan. Here's what Dave Wood had to say about it:

[size="2"]"It is one of my very first prototypes of the Texan. This club took me a month to make in the autumn of 84'. I hand sculpted the persimmon flitch into its shape using rough files and a belt sander. I made all the components by hand, including the sole plate, which was cut from 3/32" T6 aluminum on a pantograph. The markings were hand engraved on this same pantograph- not stamped.

Bob Tway bought one of its offspring (next generation) in the spring of 85' that had a W/B/W insert (like MacG M85). He used it to become the 1985 PGA Tour "Rookie of the Year". Then played it in 86' and won four events including the PGA Championship. He was named 1986 PGA Tour "Player of the Year". You have the "Mother" of Tway's club!"[/size]

[size="2"][attachment=682864:tex1.jpg] [/size][size="2"][attachment=682865:tex2.jpg][/size]
[size="2"][attachment=682866:tex3.jpg]
[/size]

[size="2"]Second one is an Australian:[/size]

[size="2"][attachment=682861:aus1.jpg] [/size][size="2"][attachment=682862:aus2.jpg][/size]
[size="2"][attachment=682863:aus3.jpg]
[/size]

[size="2"]And a pic of the original Australian Dave made for Steve Elkington.[/size]

[size="2"][attachment=682870:Australian-ELK.jpg]
[/size]

Thanks for the spectacular addition to the post.

You've also answered the earlier questions about Wood Bros drivers with Texan in stead of the winged WB on the crown.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter